Rear tire clearance on 27.5 Norco Revolver / Norco Optic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rear tire clearance on 27.5 Norco Revolver / Norco Optic

Does anyone know the widest tire that will fit on the size XS Norco Revolver FS and the Norco Optic.

There is no easy way to contact Norco. I'm less concerned with the Optic but but am concerned I'll only be able to fit a 2.2 in the rear of the Revolver. I'd like to be able to get to 2.4 on a slightly wider internal diameter rear rim.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Probably 2.35 max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This is the stock 27.5 x 2.2" Maxxis Ikon on a medium Revolver FS. They all use the same rear end so the clearance on the XS will be the same. 2.25"-2.3" is probably about as big as you can go.
    The Optic on the other hand has tons of clearance, I believe there's even a few guys who've stuffed 2.6" tires in them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear tire clearance on 27.5 Norco Revolver / Norco Optic-revolver.jpg  

mtbr member
    Optic 2.35 Ikon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    This is the stock 27.5 x 2.2" Maxxis Ikon on a medium Revolver FS. They all use the same rear end so the clearance on the XS will be the same.
    Old thread but I was under the impression that they're built different throughout the size range, or are you saying that xs/sm/med are all the same size? Currently reviewing the Revolvers is reason for my inquiry.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Old thread but I was under the impression that they're built different throughout the size range, or are you saying that xs/sm/med are all the same size? Currently reviewing the Revolvers is reason for my inquiry.
    The rear end length changes on every size but it's done by changing the mounting points for the chainstay & swing link on the front triangle while keep all the rear end parts the same. Basically, they move the mounting points forward on the smaller sizes to shorten the effective chainstay length and tweak them as needed to keep the suspension kinematics the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    On the Norco site, under Bike Information and Downloads, for the 2018 FS shows 2.25, Optic 2.4.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    The rear end length changes on every size but it's done by changing the mounting points for the chainstay & swing link on the front triangle while keep all the rear end parts the same. Basically, they move the mounting points forward on the smaller sizes to shorten the effective chainstay length and tweak them as needed to keep the suspension kinematics the same.
    Is that a good thing? I'm coming off a small Rip 9 RDO which felt heavy in the back end which I assume is from using same rr triangle setup throughout the sizes. Currently riding a small OG Ripley which feels/rides way better but it's ~4-5 years old and I'm 3rd owner with no warranty so I'm thinking Revolver since my non boost parts will switch over. New frame/warranty etc. At >140#'s I'm not too worried about bigger tire fit as 2.20-2.35 is plenty.
    Last edited by JMac47; 01-12-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's hard for me to make a comparison since I ride size large bikes in most brands, but I have ridden the original Ripley along with the current Revolver. With the caveat that Ibis' idea of bike fit doesn't agree with me whereas Norcos fit like a glove, I felt the Revolver's handling was more stable & confidence inspiring. I didn't think either bike had a heavy rear end or anything like that, but the short front end and riding position on the Ripley made me feel like I was going to endo the bike every time I was going downhill. It went down the hills just fine but there was just something weird about it that completely threw me off.