Range with Vengeance fork set to 170- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Range with Vengeance fork set to 170

my range 3 came with the xfusion vengeance fork which is an excellent and very burly fork. stock setting 160mm. the fork has an additional 10mm travel setting so when i had the fork serviced recently for the first time i had them change it to the 170 setting. i could notice the effect and lowered the bar one shim to bring it back in line. set the fork slightly plusher and it's all good- very comfortable and inspiring in steep chunky terrain.

i bought an electronic angle measure device (Wixey) and checked the angles of the household bikes for kicks. the Range at 170? just shy of 65 degrees. holy crap, i new it felt slack and i expected a slight change in angle (but i hadn't measured it before) but not quite 65 is bloody slack. the upside is that it still rides well and it's never been/going to be a champion climber, but it ain't too bad either. i can get up most steep trails and roads in the region with not much more effort than my 29er trail bike. about a year and a half in and i love this bike.

mtbr member

Range with Vengeance fork set to 170

Nothing wrong with a 65-degree head angle - that's just new-school all-mountain (tired of hearing the 'e' word).
    The Range with a 170mm fork probably has similar numbers to the new Santa Cruz Nomad and everyone's currently raving about how competent that bike is when going uphill. Like the Nomad, the Range has a long reach/front centre and a steepish seat angle.
    It also has plenty of anti-squat so it won't sink down in the back end when climbing.
    Personally I can't see why running the Range with a 170 fork wouldn't be a legit option.

mtbr member
    They didn't have a heavy duty (I'm heavy) spring for the vengeance fork when I got mey 2013 Range so they gave me a sweet price to upgrade to the vengeance dla 150-170.

Awesome fork for the Range. Leave it at 150 to ride to the park and going up, switch it over for the downs and feel way more confident.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm running mine on 150mm setting and I feel it is actually better than the 170mm setting. When running Vengeance at 170mm it has 20mm bigger a-c than what is "specified", so it is noticeably slacker. This also lifts the BB, slackens STA and increases front end height, the slacker HTA and increased travel is of course a touch better over rough stuff when going downhill, but I feel that the overall package and pedaling is better at 150mm. With the shorter setting Vengeance HLR still provides plenty enough of quality suspension, so I don't feel giving away much on that, although the travel is 20mm less...

mtbr member
    I'm with you Verttii- I probably keep it at 150 about 80% of the time. That said:
    - The Range was spec'd at 160mm so you're only 10mm over (or 10mm under).
    - The 170mm is beautiful for downhill style riding and helps a ton with my confidence at speed on downhill stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Might be that I'm wrong, but when I bought mine(2013, but I think 2015 has same geo) I remember some speculation that Vengeance had 10mm longer A-C measure compared to same length Fox 34, which was specced for complete range B1&2 builds(I bought only frameset), but not sure though if it was/is so. Vengeance has A-C of 565mm at 170mm setting, how much is A-C on Pike/fox34/36? Anyway the 150mm setting was easy to change as there is pre-drilled holes for that in the air piston rod(non-DLA version) so Ive been running with that setting for a year now. Might be that I try setting it again to 170mm when we are going to Åre bike park beginning of July, some steeper terrain there as what I normally ride...