Range C7.3 shock question- Mtbr.com
    Tribe member

Range C7.3 shock question

I'm in the process of purchasing a '15 Range C7.3 and it comes with the Monarch Plus right now. I saw that some of the frames from the dealer had the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air. I got in touch with them to see if they would be able to get that on there for me, so they're looking into it (or if they can find an Inline that they could switch). What would everyone's preference be? I hear great things of the Cane Creek, but the Monarch Plus is a big step up from what my current bike has. Thoughts?

Currently ride a '12 Yeti ASRc. I'm anxious to get the Range in hand and to hit some trails. Though it could be awhile before there's much rideable terrain here in Bend. I may have to hit up Oakridge and/or some Washington trails.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I own that bike, and I also happen to have both the Monarch Plus R it came with and a Cane Creek Double Barrel Air with Climb Switch. The Monarch Plus is well matched to the bike and performs well for almost everyone. It absorbs bumps well, stays at a good spot in its travel, and ramps up smoothly to prevent bottom outs without a sharp spike or ramp up at the end. It's also pretty forgiving to setup, you can be off 5-10 psi in pressure and not affect the performance much. My only issue is that my suspension setup preference is a bit outside the norm, I like to have the suspension set stiffer with less sag (10-15% sag front, 20% rear) and faster rebound, when setup this way the rear suspension will kick back a bit when rebounding from deep in its travel. Adding 2-3 clicks of rebound to slow it down fixes the kick, but then it's slower than I'd like on the smaller stuff.

With the Cane Creek, I can dial the rebound settings independently, I can dial in more high speed to keep it from kicking back on the big hits while leaving the low speed fairly open so it springs back quickly on smaller impacts. The downside is you can really mess things up with all those dials if you're not sure of what you're doing. Other things to note, the air spring curve is a bit weird and on the stock settings the shock likes to use almost of all its travel on almost anything, it'll go through ~90% of its travel whether you go off a 6" curb or a 3' drop. Adding volume spacers will fix this if you don't like it. It's also a lot more sensitive to air pressure settings, if you're more than a couple psi off you will feel it, there's a very small window that feels just right so you better make sure your shock pump is precise. With my final settings, it feels like a smoother version of the Monarch Plus with the rebound issues fixed.

Which shock is better depends on what your preferred suspension setup is like and how picky you are about it. If your weight & suspension setup is fairly average the Monarch Plus works great and you'll be more than happy with it. If you're like me you'll still be happy with the shock and how it performs, but you'll notice some areas where it doesn't quite work the way you want it to. If that's the case, get the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air (the Inline isn't as proven & reliable yet) and be prepared to spend a few days to a few weeks to get it fully dialed in.

One last thing. Depending on your frame size, you may not be able to fit a water bottle cage in the frame with the Cane Creek shock. The shock moves forward a fair bit as it compresses and the larger Cane Creek shock will hit the back of the water bottle. The large size frame I have will barely clear, the smaller ones won't.

Tribe member
    Thanks for that info. Great stuff to consider. I would have a medium frame and like to run water bottle. So if it were a cane creek, it sounds like I would need the inline then. But I would probably be best served just sticking with the monarch plus.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tribe member
    Anyone know what the frame weight is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nope. But my large Range C7.3 was about 31 lbs without pedals when I built it up out of the box. I haven't weighed it after all the parts swaps I've done, but I'd guess I dropped a pound or so off the stock weight.

Tribe member
    Yep. I think that's what I'm expecting as well. I will be dropping a few things right away though and going 1x10 for a bit. Fanatik has the C7.1 frame listed as 7.5lbs with shock for a large. Seems a bit high, but I'm sure that's probably spot on.

mtbr member

Range C7.3 shock question

Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    Anyone know what the frame weight is?
    Probably a bit late now but if you're still wondering, a bare Range C frame is 2,706g - that's a large 2014 model.
    Add between 300-600g depending on the shock.