Range 29 C1- Mtbr.com

Thread: Range 29 C1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Range 29 C1

I really want to buy this bike but I cant get any test riding on it and I read a couple reviews that said it handled steep sections poorly, like really poorly?

I had a Torrent and that was the greatest bike I have ridden in a long time so i wanted to try another norco. I am coming of a Nomad 4 and before that a wreckoning.

The testers were on the RS suspension, so I am not sure if that was the issue as I am not a fan of RS stuff.

anyhow can anyone speak to this that has the bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've been shoppint this bike as well. Not easy to find dealers, much less dealers who will let you demo. Where did you see a these reviews ? I have scoured the reviews and all the ones I have read say its a total Enduro weapon. About the only criticism they have is either "ride is numb" whatever that means, I think they mean it sucks up a lot and you have to get rowdy to really use the bike, or like the latest bike review they say its not the best when you aren't on the DH, but they are also reviewing a bike with heavy dutry DH components. I imagine its as nimble as any other 160mm 29'er with a decent parts spec on it.

The other thing I find kind of dismaying is how dead this forum is. I usually ride Specialized, and there is so much chatter and information on every model you can learn so much. This also ties into the fact that I never lusted for a Norco until I started studying geo charts as I know what I like and the Norco has everything I want except the PF30 BB. But the brand itself has no cachet or pull with me, still sounds like something you'd buy at a warehouse store even though I do remember their name from back in the early 2000's and the freeride scene, so its not like they haven't earned their chops.

Post those reviews if you can find them, that sounds dumb "it handled steep sections poorly" WTF its got a 461 reach and 66.5 HA and 160mm of low leverage travel doesn't make any sense

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    I've been shoppint this bike as well. Not easy to find dealers, much less dealers who will let you demo. Where did you see a these reviews ? I have scoured the reviews and all the ones I have read say its a total Enduro weapon. About the only criticism they have is either "ride is numb" whatever that means, I think they mean it sucks up a lot and you have to get rowdy to really use the bike, or like the latest bike review they say its not the best when you aren't on the DH, but they are also reviewing a bike with heavy dutry DH components. I imagine its as nimble as any other 160mm 29'er with a decent parts spec on it.

The other thing I find kind of dismaying is how dead this forum is. I usually ride Specialized, and there is so much chatter and information on every model you can learn so much. This also ties into the fact that I never lusted for a Norco until I started studying geo charts as I know what I like and the Norco has everything I want except the PF30 BB. But the brand itself has no cachet or pull with me, still sounds like something you'd buy at a warehouse store even though I do remember their name from back in the early 2000's and the freeride scene, so its not like they haven't earned their chops.

Post those reviews if you can find them, that sounds dumb "it handled steep sections poorly" WTF its got a 461 reach and 66.5 HA and 160mm of low leverage travel doesn't make any sense
    seems like way more positive stuff posted but here is one and I cant find the other one right now, but later in the review he mentions it, also 65.5 head angle and I agree with you.

Review: Norco Range C 9.2 - Built for a Beating - The Loam Wolf

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It look to me, after reading couple of Lyrik's reviews, that this shock his running deep when load. It's been highlight in many test.

I have red the review you mentioned and was suprised by this statement. I tried (and bought) the Range 29 in some steep stuff, and frankly my "ho shit back to base" switch kicked in first. But the bike have a on top riding feeling compare to my Troy. Maybe this explain that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Interesting review. Now that I've read it I vaguely recall one other review mentioning this effect as well. THey also blamed it on the Lyric setting in too deep. I am not inclined to think there is an issue with the anti-rise geo on the Range as the primary pivot point seems so identical to the Specialized bikes, although it has about 10% more anti-squat so its possible that affects the anti-rise a bit as well. still it seems far fetched that there is a weird characteristic to the rear end. I always build my bikes from frames anyway so even if I use a Lyric it will have an Avalanche cart and probably a coil.

As far as sitting in the bike vs sitting on the bike, I have never understood these types of comments as you touch the bike at the pedals and the bars, and then some stability is determined by the BB height. So unless this relationship is very odd I don't see how that feeling comes about. Less BB drop I could see it but the Range has a very low BB.

I sure would like to demo one though. One local shop will have one avaiable to demo in a couple of weeks but its the 27 version. One other shop has a 29 but can only parking lot demo it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    well I ordered one today, Large 29 c1, should have it next week. i know this bike will rip-no question and it is funny how this review states that but others from respectable sources say exactly the opposite. also any bike company from BC rides steeps so i have trouble beleiving the bikes doesnt accel in this type of terrain.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    well I ordered one today, Large 29 c1, should have it next week. i know this bike will rip-no question and it is funny how this review states that but others from respectable sources say exactly the opposite. also any bike company from BC rides steeps so i have trouble beleiving the bikes doesnt accel in this type of terrain.
    Congrats! I watched the 2018 Bible of Bike test for the C2 (and I have an electronic subscription, so I read the magazine writeups as well). In short, they concluded it's a gravity addicted beast.

My bet is that if you want to lighten the load a bit you easily could. I have a 2015 160/160 Range C2, that I was able to get down to 27.5 pounds (with pedals and a DHF/DHR II tire combo) before it left the LBS.

I had a lot of trouble with smoothing out the suspension in the chunk at speed but concluded that the Enve AM wheelset is largely the culprit. I now run those tires at 18 psi to smooth things out and have been waiting patiently for those rims to explode so I could replace them with something less retina detaching but to date, no dice. They are still pristine.

In terms of its geo and propensity for sick shit, as you most aptly state, it was born in the PNW. On the North Shore. In Whistler. Pemberton. Squamish. Enough said.

As for this site, yes. Disappointing. I don't get it. Every second bike on the trail in my area is a Norco. Yet the traffic here is non-existent. I have to think Norco's sales are very regional.

Anyway, enjoy, and please keep us posted with some post-ride updates.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I agree---it seems Norco is not very popular in some parts of the USA-----they have a weak distribution network at least in Nor Cal------I have 6 dealers near me and only ONE actually stocks and the just a couple---the other 5 have not even ordered bikes this year.

Seem like great bikes but tough here with supply and the stocking dealer does not allow a demo.

Also not helping is there seems to be a severe supply issue at the factory on some versions.

I am very interested in the Sight----but tough to buy when IBIS/Santa Cruz,Specialized are all here along with a huge Trek set of distributors

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yeah it is tough to get norco, when i bought my torrent i had trouble finding one and there were none left to order and that was early in the year.

from what i was told there is only 6 29 c1 left at this point and no one around here has one in stock.

funny about the enve wheels, good and bad they wont break......interesting too though as so many things play into the ride and since we all seem to be sold on buying every part stiffer than the other what do we expect.

norco also specs the bike well. i know the c1 isnt cheap but every part is solid except the rims. they even put 32 hole dt 240s on the bike-good stuff.

i will defintely post up my impressions as i have been on a few bikes over the past 3 years and i think my biggest mistake was going back to 27.5 as once i got on a 29 it just felt right to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    one thing i just noticed, in the bible test one of the guys mentions how good the bike is in the steeps, stating basically that is where it is best like a true dh bike...and that the HA seems more slack than it is. funny how that is so the opposite of the loam wolf

high pivot witchcraft
    [deleted...]

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    [deleted...]
    That was funny why did you delete it?

high pivot witchcraft
    That was funny why did you delete it?
    I read the review after I posted that. The tatted up dude who wrote it looks like he could kick my ass. Just playing it safe. Lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I read the review after I posted that. The tatted up dude who wrote it looks like he could kick my ass. Just playing it safe. Lol.
    Donít be scared I got your back.....

high pivot witchcraft
    Donít be scared I got your back.....
    Oh. Ok, well in that case...

one thing i just noticed, in the bible test one of the guys mentions how good the bike is in the steeps, stating basically that is where it is best like a true dh bike...and that the HA seems more slack than it is. funny how that is so the opposite of the loam wolf
    It truly is a leaned out DH bike. While I have not yet read that review, not sure what the hell the dude could possibly have been using as a benchmark... Maybe a 1970ish Harley? Something with an old Monster Triple strapped to the front and a 24 inch rear wheel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Oh. Ok, well in that case...

It truly is a leaned out DH bike. While I have not yet read that review, not sure what the hell the dude could possibly have been using as a benchmark... Maybe a 1970ish Harley? Something with an old Monster Triple strapped to the front and a 24 inch rear wheel?
    Crap I Was kidding I am 5í1 and 112lbs, Mr Wolf he is all yours.

high pivot witchcraft
    Crap I Was kidding I am 5í1 and 112lbs, Mr Wolf he is all yours.
    Bahahahaha! Any dude who is a puss behind the bars of a Range is not one who will haunt my mind when the demons come out at night...I don't care how many tats and piercings he may have...

*even though I am quite sure that he can kick my ass*

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hahahahaha! Any dude who is a puss behind the bars of a Range is not one who will haunt my mind when the demons come out at night...even though I am quite sure he can kick my ass...

Word up! I am a monster truck biker so I canít wait to ride this thing straight down the trail and if I need to slap down the loam panda bear I will!!

high pivot witchcraft
    Range 29 C1-fullsizeoutput_1d.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    Word up! I am a monster truck biker so I canít wait to ride this thing straight down the trail and if I need to slap down the loam panda bear I will!!
    Hahahaha!

On a serious note, I was eyeing up that DVO-equipped Range quite closely...but hell, mine weighs a little over 27.5 lbs, and I think I have finally solved the mystery of the retina detaching blasts throughout the gnar, so one, maybe two more seasons on that steed before I replace it.

Excited for you. Get ready for personal bests across the board. And be prepared to be shocked at how good a climber it is. That's what surprised me most about mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks and your bike looks good! You may be the loam panda I had no idea!! I am excited to try an fsr type suspension. I have only had modified single pivots so far. Anyhow counting he days and riding my fat bike to stay in shape-kinda

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I bought a A1 29 in the fall, have not ridden it yet as we are still jammed with snow.
    I think when you start riding a Norco you are past the look at my bike attitude and onto the lets shred mentality. A couple years ago we were riding Sun Peaks and one of our group wouldn't ride some of the muddy trails because he had just cleaned his white Santa Cruz. Norco riders don't act that way.
    Mike did you see Norco is expanding DVO stuff to the Sight also?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I bought a A1 29 in the fall, have not ridden it yet as we are still jammed with snow.
    I think when you start riding a Norco you are past the look at my bike attitude and onto the lets shred mentality. A couple years ago we were riding Sun Peaks and one of our group wouldn't ride some of the muddy trails because he had just cleaned his white Santa Cruz. Norco riders don't act that way.
    Mike did you see Norco is expanding DVO stuff to the Sight also?
    not sure where you live but if someone i ride with said they didnt want to get their bike dirty i simply would never ride with them again.....sadly in the PNW if we dont ride in bad conditions we dont ride at all. I will admit i do get tired of the time it takes to clean mud off everything from my helmet to my shoes and when that happens i miss arizona!!

norco is an odd bird to me, i know they are a solid company that has been around a long time but they just dont market or seem to sell aggressively like many bike manufacturers. I cant understand how this early in the year they can be sold out of a bike but on the other hand i guess they dont simply mass produce and end up with their top of the line bikes listed for 40% off less than a year later at the big web retailers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Kooky---how can you stay in biz when you run out of bikes in the middle of winter----they seem to make good bikes that are highly rated but management must suck with planning----makes me nervous overall ---seems Rocky is the same--in my area dealers have these as side lines while they push Giant usually as their primary brand---wonder if there is a connection there---does Giant build for Norco/Rocky in Taiwan---I wonder

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Kooky---how can you stay in biz when you run out of bikes in the middle of winter----they seem to make good bikes that are highly rated but management must suck with planning----makes me nervous overall ---seems Rocky is the same--in my area dealers have these as side lines while they push Giant usually as their primary brand---wonder if there is a connection there---does Giant build for Norco/Rocky in Taiwan---I wonder
    I feel more comfortable their bikes are not being sold on Jensen and such, disappoints me even evil is on there. Maybe norco and rocky know something, I mean think about it the Rocky website is bikes.com that is impressive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Biz is changing quick and none of us know the end game-----but one can bet small guys with little production are not the answer---I would not be surprised if soon they go the model intense has gone---after all their dealer network is not robust anyhow.

high pivot witchcraft
    As far as I know, Norco is doing just fine. Like I said, I see more Norcos on the trail in my area than any other bike. They sell a ton in Western Canada and, for some odd reason, in Australia. They have been around forever, and have solid product offerings from $100 to $10,000+. Their product line is massively wide and I suspect they make a lot of money off bikes other than just high end mountain bikes. My daughter's first two-wheeler was a Norco, as was her second (although she is now solidly perched on the Kona train).

This site is horrible for Norcos. Pinkbike has a lot more Norco traffic.

2018 Bible of Bikes loved the Sight. I was left with the impression that it was the Norco Sight, the Orbea Rallon, the Ibis Mojo HD4 and the Kona Process CR/DL that came out on top.

Travis Engel (a notorious Evil lover, and usual 27.5 snubber) chose the Process CR/DL 27.5.

The rest:

Nicole Formosa - Ibis Mojo HD4
    Ryan Palmer - Orbea Rallon (Norco Sight 29 - Honourable Mention)
    Mike Ferrentino - Orbea Rallon
    Jonathon Weber - Norco Sight 29 and 27.5 (Santa Cruz Nomad also mentioned)
    Kristin Butcher - Spot Mayhem and Ibis Mojo HD4
    Lacy Kemp - Norco Sight 27.5 ("clear winner"); Honourable mention to the Ibis Mojo HD4
    Will Ritchie - Evil Following MB (close runner up - Kona Process CR/DL 27.5)

Overall, they all seemed to really love the Norco Sight and I understand that a lot of shops sold out quickly based on the BoB reviews.

But I agree - it seems like an odd company in a lot of respects.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    ...Mike did you see Norco is expanding DVO stuff to the Sight also?
    Yeah. I saw the C3. Apart front the fork, I think I would want to swap a lot out on that model. That said, I think my next bike could be a Sight. Or a Hei Hei. I may get back on the Kona train. I have 6 Konas in my garage right now. May as well make it lucky 7. For some reason, even though I am still pissed at Kona as a result of their 2018 line, I still have a soft spot in my heart for them. But yeah - Norco or Kona. I don't think I would go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think that every LBS I have dealt with handles Norco. They do it for several reasons. Norco sells a lot of money maker bikes, the under 1k and kids bikes and Norco handles a lot of parts and accessory's. For this reason you will never see them go consumer direct.
    In my riding group we see some warranty problems with all brands and I can say that Norco has been the best to deal with hands down. A lot of companies have the same warranty but they look for a way not to cover it or have a several month delay in getting a replacement.

high pivot witchcraft
    Just had a physio appt this morning. My therapist is a hard core biker, as are his biking friends. He rides a Yeti SB5C. He told me every single one of his friends rides a Range or a Sight. Like I said, in my neck of the woods, the guys who ride hard and often, often ride Norcos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    In my neck of the woods (in Australia) it looks to be a fairly even spread of Norco, Giant, Specialized and Rocky Mountain. Also decent numbers of Kona and Trek, and the occasional Santa Cruz. Unsurprisingly the LBSs stock these brands at least to some extent, with most other brands either being special orders or from smaller stores.

My understanding is that often a wholesaler/importer brings in 2 or 3 brands of bicycles and so stores will jump onto one of those importers and sell their brands. The more innovative/helpful LBSs will also go looking for other brands and get all sorts of things in for their customers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Got the bike today but only able to pull off a very short ride in crazy wind on a very exposed trail. That said it felt awesome. Very impressed with the build and for me the fit-just feels righ. It climbs really well and felt very responsive, on the down i was really holding back as i wanted to take it easy for my first ride and need to get the suspension dialed a bit but so far it doesnt disappoint. More to come.....

high pivot witchcraft
    Got the bike today but only able to pull off a very short ride in crazy wind on a very exposed trail. That said it felt awesome. Very impressed with the build and for me the fit-just feels righ. It climbs really well and felt very responsive, on the down i was really holding back as i wanted to take it easy for my first ride and need to get the suspension dialed a bit but so far it doesnt disappoint. More to come.....
    Congrats. Enjoy, and please keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    since I am trying to keep this place alive I will offer another short ride report....I am in Spokane WA and got to put in another short ride. Spokane is interesting cuz it mixes dirt with big granite rocks so there are a lot of good slow speed very steep but not all too long rock faces. Some are pretty tech and what made me happiest was the bike really shined there. I dont know these trails at all so coming into some blind I was really creeping and I had complete control. also the bike rips corners so so well. My last few bikes have been a nomad 3, insurgent, wreckoning, and nomad 4 and I cornered better in 2 days on this bike than any of the others, feels so perfect for me. also it climbs well, traction is awesome and I never used my climb switch. I didnt realize how cumbersome the nomad could feel at times but of course it is almost a dh bike, coming off that this feels light, tight, and agile. Now i am sure other who may be coming off XC bikes will not agree but I always ride bigger travel rigs cuz I like to go straight through stuff. another ride today so i will bring back more observations.

Go Norco!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    appreciate hearing about the bike !
    Very interesting that you have ridden some heavy hitters but are gushing about the Range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    appreciate hearing about the bike !
    Very interesting that you have ridden some heavy hitters but are gushing about the Range.
    why do you think that, do you think it isnt in that league? Norco is a brand that has built bikes forever but as I have come to understand is a small company whereas all the others are really big marketing types, i mean if you look at the test bikes norco sends it they are not even their top spec, i think their reviews would be vastly different with fox suspension.

i think it comes down to it is a mix of everything that works for me. Though I did realize yesterday it was spec'd with 175 cranks and in my opinion that is too long, i ride flats and so far it is taking some real thought to not smack my pedals, i may switch them to 165 sooner than later-but for that I think i am in the minority.

rode yesterday but my friend had a crash so we had to call it quits early i did though put in about 8 miles on the road back to the hotel....wont suffice as a road bikes if anyone was thinking to replace theirs

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You have it correct. I just meant that you don't usually hear people lusting after Norcos (even the BIke review pointed that out). They also dont' get reviewed as often and don't have the cachet of Evil/Santa Cruz/yeti etc. Personally I always though their name made it sound like something you'd buy off cable tv, and they do make a lot of department store bikes.

But you don't have to convince me, I stumbled on this frame because the geo is exactly where I want it and everything I've read sounds good. In fact the geo is almost exactly the same as the 2018 Enduro29 but without the problematic shock mounting and leverage ratio.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I didnít know they sold Dept store bikes but the other brands blow their bikes oout at places like Jensen for dirt cheap which seems just as bad. I had a torrent and that bike made me a fan even though it had a sticker that said the bike wasnít for off road use.......

high pivot witchcraft
    You have it correct. I just meant that you don't usually hear people lusting after Norcos (even the BIke review pointed that out). They also dont' get reviewed as often and don't have the cachet of Evil/Santa Cruz/yeti etc. Personally I always though their name made it sound like something you'd buy off cable tv, and they do make a lot of department store bikes.

But you don't have to convince me...
    Hereís an example of this sentiment. See posts 16, 18 and 22 in particular.

http://forums.mtbr.com/evil-bikes/wr...s-1057968.html

As I said in that thread, in the Western Canadian Rockies, Norco is one of the most oft seen brands on the trails, at least as far as I have observed. Like Kona, Norco has a devout following (with a small ďfĒ). Guys I know who ride Norcos, spend their time riding, as opposed to debating online about the optimum width of bars, the virtues of dropper posts or other similar things.

Norcos (and Konas) are awesome choices for the terrain I ride, in terms of their geo, component spec and general degree of ďrobustnessĒ. There is a reason there are so many on the trails. And itís not because they are inexpensive or readily available, because neither is true.

IME, guys who donít fk around ride Norcos. To them, itís about the ride, not the bike. The bike is critical, but in more of a utilitarian sort of way. Norco is chosen to best get the job done on the trail. While to some there may be better choices to ooh and awe over at the trail head, to my eye, Norcos are killing it aesthetically as well. Apparently, I am in a small group of people who think likewise. Whatever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Wait a second then what is the optimal bar width. I am concerned mine arenít right......

high pivot witchcraft
    Wait a second then what is the optimal bar width. I am concerned mine arenít right......
    If I were you I would be much more concerned about the hideous bolts on the rocker (per post #22 of the link)...

Like i said, I donít get it. That Range looks killer to me. I saw one at my LBS last week and yeah - even better in person. Rocker bolts included.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Honestly I think that linkage and rocker looks awesome, burly and nothing else!! Sure as hell isnt gonna brake anytime soon.

high pivot witchcraft
    Honestly I think that linkage and rocker looks awesome, burly and nothing else!! Sure as hell isnt gonna brake anytime soon.
    Agreed. I was in the process of editing my post above to say the same thing when you posted this. The Range is a mean looking weapon. A beast. Purpose built. No fking around.

Going back the LBS shortly to buy my daughter some new sunglasses for her Easter present. I will again admire the Range, in all its glory.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    For the people that ride once a week with their homies and post their knowledge on pinkbike I don't think a Norco is the way to go. They need something with a cool name like Evil/Yeti/Santa Cruz. They need one in white or teal or whatever girl color they can find. They are all about impressing their four friends that they ride the same trail with all summer.
    Not saying any of those brands aren't good quality bikes, but when you start riding a lot you start to think about what you want a bike to do and how you want it to ride.
    Most manufactures get their bikes built overseas so it really is their engineering department that is responsible for how they ride. I personally think Norco have invested enough in r&d to compete with anybody.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i've owned a couple of Norco's and demo'd the R29 in mid winter. i've always liked them and their aesthetic but they definitely lack some of the polished looks of the mega brands and California boutiques. Norco stands for Northern Cycle and they definitely don't have that Cali vibe, Euro flavour, whatever which is all good by me.

i read that Loamwolf review with curiosity as well. i think they were being dead honest, but it also reads like an outlier to me. i had 2 days on it in atrocious weather and it was a tank on mellower xc trails (no surprise) but a comfortable beast on proper rocky 'enduro' trails. a few of the better riders around here ride and race them and are routinely in the top 5 in regional enduro races. the one guy is on a Sight 29er and also right up there. if it's your personal bike you'll be playing with the suspension and maybe tuning it for a while to get that just right feeling anyways.

let us know how it goes when you get it, i'm stoked for you. wish i was on one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I think the loam wolf was way off though as this bike has great control in the steeps but maybe that is the fox stuff making a difference

high pivot witchcraft
    I think the loam wolf was way off though as this bike has great control in the steeps but maybe that is the fox stuff making a difference
    I think you may be on to something. My Pike RC and Monarch Plus took a lot of tweaking to get my 2015 650B C2 up to speed. I have it where I want it now but Christ - it took the better part of 3 seasons. I blame the suspension components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Range 29 C1-img_3141.jpg

SO I have put about 50 miles on the bike this week and looking at that picture I cant undeerstand why you wouldnt like the look of a norco! Still getting things dialed but wow it really is a sweet ride. I do see where the bike isnt "polished" like some other brands but it really rides well. i got a decent day yesterday on some fast, rocky, and decently long decents and the only thing holding me back was my speed. The bike handles fast rocky terrain amazingly well and i also cleared a group of jumps i have never cleared before and that was my first try on this bike. Coming off the Nomad this bike feels light and nimble but of course that is all relative. I also love Fox suspension and have hit spots on this set up that on my Nomad seemed harsh where this bike smooths it out. Anyhow so far so good. I have made a couple small upgrades, 54t ratchet, kabolt for the fork, and I am changing the bar and grips to a higher rise bar from Spank that I want to try. Sadly I will also have to drop some $$ to get a shorter crank, i just cant ride 175 though I did clear a nasty rock section yesterday without a single pedal strike and that was a first for the past 5 years. I am still perpelxed by the reviews about the bike not handling steeps well. I have ridden fast and slow very steep stuff and have had complete control. I do think this bike feels better the faster you go but honestly i have not riddien a bike recently that doesnt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    What specifically did you think was not polished compared to other brands---have not heard this before.

Plan to demo next weekend at China Camp====hoping it does not rain

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    What specifically did you think was not polished compared to other brands---have not heard this before.

Plan to demo next weekend at China Camp====hoping it does not rain
    I think they could have anodized the silver bolts black-would look sleeker. Overall build is super solid, I think the rear wheel is stiffer than my other bikes. When I try to twist it by hand it doesnít move. Frame is super solid

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    We went on a day trip so I could actually ride my bike. Our local trails are still covered in snow.
    I am coming off of a Rocky Altitude. I have a XC bike. I have owned and raced DH bikes. When I bought my Range I wanted a DH bike that I could pedal. My Altitude was a trail bike that could go downhill. Semantics maybe but it how I want my bike to ride.
    Enduro is the new buzz word. I don't know what someone wants in a Enduro bike. I wanted a bike that I could thrash on Rocks and drops. So I am okay to give up pedalling efficiency and adding some weight.
    I set the suspension at 30% sag and rode it. I'll dial it in more on my local runs.
    The rear suspension impressed me. I found myself looking for any rock or chatter I could. Big wheels help this somewhat but still this bike feels good. I expected the down sides of a slack head angle but surprisingly enough there was only a minimal amount of low speed wheel flop. We rode up and then down. I had no problem lifting the front or popping it when wanted. It is a big bike and you have to use some strength.
    If you only have one bike then I would think hard about this bike though. When you get a decent tire on a 29" wheel there is a lot of tire sticking out the front. If you are riding tight trail or tight trees it may not be what you want. You could consider a 27.5 or maybe a Sight instead?
    I am 6 foot with a 32" inseam and riding a Large. The size is perfect.
    Don't compare bikes by the numbers, test ride instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It took me a while to get the Lyrik the way I like it on my Range 29. It definitely rides deep in its travel, and it was hard to balance ride height, small bump sensitivity and ability to use full travel. I suspect the Lyrik is part of reviews saying this bike doesnít like steep and rowdy.

I bumped the Lyrik up to 170 and it makes a nice difference. I can get the ride height I want without losing sensitivity. I coupled that with a 50 mm stem, which helps with getting weight over the front wheel. The front end felt a bit light with the 40 mm stem.
    Last edited by D(C); 06-10-2018 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    If people haven't done so already, installing a Luftkappe will allow you to run higher pressures in the Lyrik and cause it to sit higher in the travel without sacrificing the sensitivity. Fixes the above issue, imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shlotch View Post
    If people haven't done so already, installing a Luftkappe will allow you to run higher pressures in the Lyrik and cause it to sit higher in the travel without sacrificing the sensitivity. Fixes the above issue, imo.
    I just installed the Lyrik with the Debonair upgrade kit and it's made an improvement in the small bumps as advertised. Still need to play around with the settings.

BTW, I have never noticed an issue with riding steeps on the 2017 Range 9.2

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    I just installed the Lyrik with the Debonair upgrade kit and it's made an improvement in the small bumps as advertised. Still need to play around with the settings.

BTW, I have never noticed an issue with riding steeps on the 2017 Range 9.2
    Are you running your Lyrik at 160mm or 170mm?

I think I might install a 170mm air shaft - just because the rear suspension of this bike is sooooo good. This should help further improve the ride height on the Lyrik.

mtbr member
    I replaced the 160 with the 160 but in hindsight, I would have gone with the 170 because the new Debonair upgrade sits a few mm lower than the stock height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I rode a A1 last year and will be riding a C1 with a Fox and mid level build kit. Still a expensive bike but the value is well worth it.
    The custom build and ride kits they offer are great but be warned it isn't like normal build. All of the parts come loose. You have to run all the internals and assemble everything.Range 29 C1-img_20190126_143537_993.jpg Now I just have to wait for the snow to melt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hot damn. Be sure to let us know how the coil is on the Range. All this winter nonsense has me thinking up unnecessary upgrades that wouldn't even be on the radar if I were just out riding my damn bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    haha, that's it right there isn't it? too much time thinking about riding and perfecting the bike makes Johnny a dull, but spendy boy.

high pivot witchcraft
    Hot damn. Be sure to let us know how the coil is on the Range. All this winter nonsense has me thinking up unnecessary upgrades that wouldn't even be on the radar if I were just out riding my damn bike.
    https://www.pushindustries.com/products/elevensix-1

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    FWIW, they don't yet seem to make a compatible shock for the latest model Range bikes. Guessing it's because of the trunnion mount? Maybe by summer ;-)

high pivot witchcraft
    FWIW, they don't yet seem to make a compatible shock for the latest model Range bikes. Guessing it's because of the trunnion mount? Maybe by summer ;-)
    Yes. I wasn't sure what model year you have. I had a 2015, for which I could have got (but didn't get) an 11-6.

I am in touch with Push pretty frequently, "pushing" them to release an 11-6 for my 2018 29er Sight. Off topic, but they say one is coming, but for the 27.5

As for your Range, I would strongly urge you to follow Bryn's lead:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bryn-a...t-process.html

EDIT: wow! Just checked your profile. We hail from the same town.