Quick Questions about '19 Norco Fluid 27.5 vs 29er- Mtbr.com
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja

2019 Norco Fluid 27.5 Project

Is the medium 29er Fluid essentially an XS 27.5 with a longer shock? Also, I really want one of these frames only but my LBS told me that they cant get just the frames and looking at the Norco website, almost all the bikes are out of stock. Any idea on where I can get one preferably frame only? Thanks
    Last edited by mrpercussive; 07-10-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Changing thread title

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I dont know what made you think that the med 29 and xs 27,5 are the same frame? it does not make any sense at all, just by looking at the geo specs it's pretty clear .
    No frame only option possible.
    I dont know what happen to norco this year but "out of stock" is their knew mantra. Maybe some www.lbs have some left.
    In my circle of friends alone, they lost 3 sales.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    I dont know what made you think that the med 29 and xs 27,5 are the same frame? it does not make any sense at all, just by looking at the geo specs it's pretty clear .
    No frame only option possible.
    I dont know what happen to norco this year but "out of stock" is their knew mantra. Maybe some www.lbs have some left.
    In my circle of friends alone, they lost 3 sales.
    med29 and xs2.75 seem to have the same headtube length. Also noticed the 29ers run a longer length shock which increases the reach. Looking at it again it's probably a different frame altogether...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    1. The fluid FS in XS and M are different frames. The reason you see the 29er with the same head tube length as the XS in 27.5 is that Norco felt it's important to get the bar height/stack height lower to the ground on the 29er wheels. The wheels and fork naturally stand taller than the 27.5 versions so they want the bar height to feel about the same in both versions of the medium frame.

2. Both 27.5 and 29 versions of the fluid FS are specifically designed around their wheelsize, so you will spot subtle differences meant to make the bikes ride as close to each other as possible while accounting for the differences in wheel size. One example of this is differing head tube lengths. The stroke of each shock is also slightly different as you've noticed. It's the same eye-to-eye length, meaning you could technically mount any 190mm shock in there without altering geometry. Travel numbers will change with the stroke. Look at the aurum HSP as well, these changes are consistent when swapping wheel sizes there too.

These bikes aren't available as frame only, that's true. I don't think Norco's ever offered their 'pricepoint' offerings as frame only. I guess the fluid is a bit different because the performance to price ratio is better than ever before. To build one up my girlfriend got a Fluid FS 2 and sold most of the parts it came with. The FS 1 comes with a pretty darn nice spec to build off of anyway, so I'd consider looking at that.

4. As to why most of their bikes are sold out.... they redid their pricing structure this year and their sales have increased because of it. They are a pretty small company compared to some of the cycling 'giants' and it looks like they are selling out of a lot of bikes because of their somewhat limited production.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Thanks for the info j-t-g... I actually just found someone who's got a frame who decided on a different project instead. I'm picking it up Saturday and will be building it up with my spares and donated parts... Super stoked!!!! Also, is the headset just a regular inset 44/55? Doesnt say in norco website...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    Thanks for the info j-t-g... I actually just found someone who's got a frame who decided on a different project instead. I'm picking it up Saturday and will be building it up with my spares and donated parts... Super stoked!!!! Also, is the headset just a regular inset 44/55? Doesnt say in norco website...
    Here's the link from the Norco website;
    https://www.norco.com/cmsb/uploads/b...uid-fs_004.pdf

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by Graveltattoo View Post
    Here's the link from the Norco website;
    https://www.norco.com/cmsb/uploads/b...uid-fs_004.pdf
    thanks! Man... really wish i saw that earlier... Didnt know that it was an integrated headset and ordered inset ones instead... Think the bearings will pop right in there without a problem if i just dont use the cups?

BrassBalled DropbarNinja

BrassBalled DropbarNinja