Thread: Norco Warranty

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Norco Warranty

Hi Everyone. My friend, a Norco owner, asked me to post a few questions regarding Norco's warranty handling process. Hopefully, you guys have had some experience and can help guide him, as he is experiencing some resistance from Norco.

Recently, while washing his bike, my friend noticed that his chainstay had a pretty significant crack on it. We looked at closely and it didn't appear to have been caused by any direct impact. The LBS where he had purchased his bike had shutdown, since his purchase, so he reached out to another shop, located about an hour from him. The bike shop told him they'd take a look. We drove up to drop the bike off, they took a look, and they concluded that a warranty claim was in order. The bike shop reached out to Norco and began the claim. A few days later, Norco had sent over a replacement frame, in the wrong size. My friend and another friend had purchased the same Norco Fluid, at the same time, but in different sizes. The friend with the cracked frame was wrung up for the wrong size. The bike shop said it wouldn't be a problem, they'll reach back out to Norco. Norco replied with, I'm just paraphrasing, sending you a new frame was a mistake. We will be sending you a new replacement chainstay, but we don't have your color chainstay in stock, and wont for several months, so we are going to replace it with a different color. He reached out, several times, to Norco asking what had changed? And that he thought the warranty would replace the frame. The online warranty docs didn't mention replacing frame parts at Norco's discretion; no response.

My friend just wants to know if any of you have experience with Norco's warranty department? Is this expected behavior? Is this common among manufacturers?

Thank you all for your time. Sorry about how verbose my post is. Norco Warranty-img_2054.jpg

mtbr member
    Actually being it was only a chain stay crack they were m,mistaken in sending you the entire frame. We deal with Norco warranty being a Norco dealer. IF chain stay is cracked, it's what will be replaced, so the new chain stay was proper warranty actions on Norco's part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi Wickerman1, thank you for the reply. While I agree with you, in part. What should the correct action be if they didn't have the correct size chainstay in the correct color? Not sure if it makes a difference, but the chainstay is off a medium frame and in a different color. They stated that'd be several months before they have the correct one. If the chainstay is shorter, it could affect geometry and ride mechanics.

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    This is common with a lot of bike manufacturers, many have in the small print that they have no obligation to replace the warranty part with the same Color, itís a bit of a bummer.

To be honest it doesnít look that bad with the black stay and black down tube graphics

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the input, Bikefarmer.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoTopFuel7 View Post
    Hi Everyone. My friend, a Norco owner, asked me to post a few questions regarding Norco's warranty handling process. Hopefully, you guys have had some experience and can help guide him, as he is experiencing some resistance from Norco.

Recently, while washing his bike, my friend noticed that his chainstay had a pretty significant crack on it. We looked at closely and it didn't appear to have been caused by any direct impact. The LBS where he had purchased his bike had shutdown, since his purchase, so he reached out to another shop, located about an hour from him. The bike shop told him they'd take a look. We drove up to drop the bike off, they took a look, and they concluded that a warranty claim was in order. The bike shop reached out to Norco and began the claim. A few days later, Norco had sent over a replacement frame, in the wrong size. My friend and another friend had purchased the same Norco Fluid, at the same time, but in different sizes. The friend with the cracked frame was wrung up for the wrong size. The bike shop said it wouldn't be a problem, they'll reach back out to Norco. Norco replied with, I'm just paraphrasing, sending you a new frame was a mistake. We will be sending you a new replacement chainstay, but we don't have your color chainstay in stock, and wont for several months, so we are going to replace it with a different color. He reached out, several times, to Norco asking what had changed? And that he thought the warranty would replace the frame. The online warranty docs didn't mention replacing frame parts at Norco's discretion; no response.

My friend just wants to know if any of you have experience with Norco's warranty department? Is this expected behavior? Is this common among manufacturers?

Thank you all for your time. Sorry about how verbose my post is. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2054.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	1228374
    A few things...

IMHO, that black chain stay looks BAD ASS. That's a nice looking bike. I would not have a problem at all with how that turned out aesthetically, and I am very picky about stuff like that.

Norco has a very good rep on this forum for warranty and customer service. That said, I have had two Norcos in a row now - a Range and Sight, and I have found their customer service to be pretty shitty. Now mind you, I am using my LBS as the go between. I have a funny feeling it's not Norco who is shitting the bed on me...

Your post is not verbose but your second paragraph is long and dense. Break it up brother. Paragraph the shit out of it. I gave up going back and searching for info.

That said, assuming that this is a chain stay taken off a medium frame, and installed on a large frame, this would definitely cause me concern, given Norco's Gravity Tune, or whatever you call it. I had understood that the chain stays are different sizes on different sized frames. If correct, mixing and matching sizes this way is likely problematic. At a minimum, it will screw with the geo.

That said, I would defer to wickerman1 and to Norco on this. Presumably it is not an issue if neither have raised it.

If the sizing is ok, I would be delighted to rock that bike as is. The revised colour scheme is actually an improvement to my eye. Bad ass.

mtbr member
    Ive had chainstay crack on my sight ,1st time they replaced the chainstay only but very very fast. The last time it they upgraded me to the range . Fast forward to 2017 ,i cracked my TORRENT seat stay i was upgraded to newer frame . Norco warranty dept has been great in experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol