Norco Sight Sizing- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,285

    Norco Sight Sizing

    Figured I would post this because I feel this would be helpful.

    I'm 5'10.5" and went with a large sight. The bike fits perfect. The medium was way too small. I tried my 40mm stem and it a bit too small for the bike, so I went back to the stock 60mm. and dropped it down with a 5 mm spacer on the bottom. I'm thinking a 50mm straight stem would be perfect.

    For all the guys on the verge or between sizes and are 5'10 - 5'11, the medium is a small bike and I'm happy I chose the large.

    For Norco if you are reading this, please make the seat tube 25mm shorter on the next iteration so I could use a 150mm dropper post.

    Erik

  2. #2
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,907
    A shorter or longer seat tube?

    At almost 6'3" I should be solidly in an XL frame but I felt like I was reaching too much. I swapped the factory 70mmstem for a 50mm and it's a better fit. At first I was worried I should have bought a large. As long as you get the fit as close as you can during purchase you can easily make small changes with stem and bars.

    I forgot to check the geo on the 2016 models but I heard they were going to ship with shorter stems. Most shipped with 60mm-70mm stems for 2015.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by F8L View Post
    A shorter or longer seat tube?

    At almost 6'3" I should be solidly in an XL frame but I felt like I was reaching too much. I swapped the factory 70mmstem for a 50mm and it's a better fit. At first I was worried I should have bought a large. As long as you get the fit as close as you can during purchase you can easily make small changes with stem and bars.

    I forgot to check the geo on the 2016 models but I heard they were going to ship with shorter stems. Most shipped with 60mm-70mm stems for 2015.
    You definitely got the right sized bike. The large bike feels so natural standing up but does feel a bit long sitting. At least for me. I know a 50mm stem will cure it all. The 40mm stem actually was too short.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Figured I would post this because I feel this would be helpful.

    I'm 5'10.5" and went with a large sight. The bike fits perfect. The medium was way too small. I tried my 40mm stem and it a bit too small for the bike, so I went back to the stock 60mm. and dropped it down with a 5 mm spacer on the bottom. I'm thinking a 50mm straight stem would be perfect.

    For all the guys on the verge or between sizes and are 5'10 - 5'11, the medium is a small bike and I'm happy I chose the large.

    For Norco if you are reading this, please make the seat tube 25mm shorter on the next iteration so I could use a 150mm dropper post.

    Erik
    Pics ? What's your inseam ? I'm 5'10 with a 30" inseam , seriously thinking about getting a sight..

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36
    I'm 5'-6" and I'm on a 2014 carbon sight in medium. 50mm stem. Tried a 40mm, but it felt too weird

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    My inseam is 32" and I run my saddle height at 28.5" measure from the BB to the middle of the seat. With this set up I only have about 3/4" of seat post showing from the top of the seat tube to the bottom of the collar.

    Erik

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    My inseam is 32" and I run my saddle height at 28.5" measure from the BB to the middle of the seat. With this set up I only have about 3/4" of seat post showing from the top of the seat tube to the bottom of the collar.

    Erik

    3/4 of a inch ? or 3/4 of your seatpost ?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    3/4 of a inch ? or 3/4 of your seatpost ?
    From the bottom of the dropper collar to the seat post clamp is 3/4". Me overall seatpost length is ~7 or 8".

    Erik

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    371
    Hey, my mates wife just bought a medium c7.1, she is 5.4ft/164cm.
    She thinks the bike might be a little long although the bars do need to be cut down a little more as they are too wide.

    But should she of gone a small? What are other people of a similar height riding?
    Thanks from Australia.

  10. #10
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    Hey, my mates wife just bought a medium c7.1, she is 5.4ft/164cm.
    She thinks the bike might be a little long although the bars do need to be cut down a little more as they are too wide.

    But should she of gone a small? What are other people of a similar height riding?
    Thanks from Australia.
    She would probably fit better on a small. My girlfriend is 5'3" (almost 5'4") and rides a 2015 Fluid 7.1 small. I cut the handlebar to approx. 700mm then put a 45mm stem on it to replace the 60mm unit. The bike fits her pretty well. I recently swapped her to a carbon 690mm bar and she loves the fit.

    If she stuck with the bike definitely go to a shorter stem and shorter bars.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    Hey, my mates wife just bought a medium c7.1, she is 5.4ft/164cm.
    She thinks the bike might be a little long although the bars do need to be cut down a little more as they are too wide.

    But should she of gone a small? What are other people of a similar height riding?
    Thanks from Australia.
    My gf has a small 2014 sight 7.2 carbon and she is 5'-2". Fits her really well with a 50mm stem. Her bars are cut to 730mm. I ride a medium 7.1 carbon at 5'-6" and it's pretty good.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    371
    Thanks guys

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Figured I would post this because I feel this would be helpful.

    I'm 5'10.5" and went with a large sight. The bike fits perfect. The medium was way too small. I tried my 40mm stem and it a bit too small for the bike, so I went back to the stock 60mm. and dropped it down with a 5 mm spacer on the bottom. I'm thinking a 50mm straight stem would be perfect.

    For all the guys on the verge or between sizes and are 5'10 - 5'11, the medium is a small bike and I'm happy I chose the large.

    For Norco if you are reading this, please make the seat tube 25mm shorter on the next iteration so I could use a 150mm dropper post.

    Erik
    I'm 5'10" and went with a large and ended up having elbow issues. I went to a straight 50mm stem and now everything is fine.

    Funny on the post comment....I measured and I have over 25mm left to push my dropper down so I'm on the hunt for a 150 now.

    Norco Sight Sizing-yuudzf5c31nyml5mea6bgotmkwgpo2e4gneumtk4mpq-768x432.jpg

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    139
    I'm 178cm (5' 10.5") and went with a medium. With the 60mm stem, it feels perfect for me. When I first got it, I thought about putting a longer stem on (partly due to this thread), but after riding it a few times and getting used to it, it feels great.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    139
    Can't resist posting a picture.... Love this bike.



    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1
    I'm looking to pull the trigger on a C7.2 without demo, just working out sizing.

    I'm 6'1" and figure L is where I want to be. Anyone riding one about my height who can confirm or suggest I should consider the XL? I'll wanna run the stem short, 50 or 60.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    I would say a large with a 60mm stem will fit you nicely.

    Erik

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    Pics ? What's your inseam ? I'm 5'10 with a 30" inseam , seriously thinking about getting a sight..
    Those are my exact measurements too and I have a 2015 large. Fits great! The only thing I changed was putting on a Renthal fatbar lite with 30mm rise — this probably was more a function of my bad back than a geo/fitment issue. The bar is also 740mm vs the stock 760 — I didn't think I'd miss that extra 10mm per side but I do! Then again, I ride mostly tight singletrack so it was a reasonable compromise.

    I know a lot of people keep recommending shorter and shorter stems, but the stock 60 on the large seems perfect to me. Granted, I haven't tried it with a shorter stem. If I can snag one for cheap I might try it for an experiment, but again, it feels perfect at 60.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by immersionroom View Post
    I'm looking to pull the trigger on a C7.2 without demo, just working out sizing.

    I'm 6'1" and figure L is where I want to be. Anyone riding one about my height who can confirm or suggest I should consider the XL? I'll wanna run the stem short, 50 or 60.
    Man that's a tough call. I've always been between sizes M and L and in the past I would always go with the smaller bike because it felt more maneuverable. However with my 2015 Sight I went with the L and feel it's perfect. I'm 5'10" with a short inseam of 30"

    My first instinct would be to steer you towards the XL. But it really depends on how you like your bike to fit. With the XL, if you need to shorten the reach via a shorter stem, you'd still be in line with the geo and feeling of the Sight's intended purpose. If you went with the L, your stem would grow and could potentially have you farther over the bars than preferred. Again, comes down to what you like.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15
    Im 6' and just picked up a 2014 large alloy.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    222
    6'1 1/2" with 34" inseam. Got XL 7.1c a couple weeks ago. Switched 70mm stock stem to 50, and had to switch bars to Sixc with 25 mm rise to get height I wanted. Biggest complaint is steerer tube comes cut about 1cm to short, otherwise I could have run the 50 stem with the stock bars. Large not an option for me anyway.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    66
    6'2" with 36" inseam on XL. Steerer tube is too short and top tube feels a touch short. I experimented with 80mm stem and 30mm rise bar, fit was better but handling suffered. Back on stock stem and bars with 15mm of spacers (barely enough steerer for this to be safe). Ideally I'd like 10mm spacer, 70mm stem and 30mm rise bar, but that means buying new bars (damn new standards)

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    73
    Sorry for bringin up an older thread. I'm 5'10 1/2 also and wear 32'' pants in almost everything. I've been considering a 2014 Sight Carbon LE in Large. Thinking I will run a 50mm stem. Would that be the right length?

    I'm currently on a Giant Anthem X1 with an 80mm stem. Thoughts?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlau3 View Post
    Sorry for bringin up an older thread. I'm 5'10 1/2 also and wear 32'' pants in almost everything. I've been considering a 2014 Sight Carbon LE in Large. Thinking I will run a 50mm stem. Would that be the right length?

    I'm currently on a Giant Anthem X1 with an 80mm stem. Thoughts?
    Hard to say — how does your current bike feel and what's the difference in reach between the Anthem and the Sight?

    I think a 50 mm stem on a modern geo trail bike is kinda right in the middle. Definitely a good starting point for adjustment. But that's exactly what you'll need to do — experiment and adjust for your personal fit.

    FWIW I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam and I'm on a large 2015, 55mm stem and a 30mm rise bar. Fits perfect!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    110
    I just bought a used 2014 Sight C7.2 in Medium. I'm 5'10 (177cm) with 31" inseam, and the previous owner was 6'0 and he said it fit him perfectly, even with the 50mm stem.
    He bought it new, so he would have had a choice of size.

    I was personally worried about size because the medium Specialized Camber I tested felt really short, and despite the Sight having a technically shorter reach, it feels a bit roomier.

    I think anyone around 5'9-5'11 will be in between sizes, so it'll come down to preference. It's probably a good thing because we can customize the fit with longer or shorter stems etc as well.

    I'll add a longer stem for all/multi-day rides. Otherwise I'm super happy with the Medium frame size and 50mm stem.

Similar Threads

  1. Norco Sight LE build
    By Darkstar187 in forum 27.5
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 12:56 AM
  2. Can you manual your Norco Sight?
    By Goldberm in forum Norco
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-2014, 12:49 PM
  3. My Norco Sight 7.1
    By jeffgre_6163 in forum 27.5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 02:31 AM
  4. norco sight chainrings
    By DABIGSEAT in forum 27.5
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM
  5. Norco Sight 650 B1
    By dwt in forum 27.5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Members who have read this thread: 11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.