Norco Sight cracked frame, no warranty... next steps?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Norco Sight cracked frame, no warranty... next steps?

Hi All,

Here is the story:

I bought a lightly used 2014 Norco Sight LE from a shop last year. No warranty was given in writing, but the guy said he could "try to help me out" if anything happened. I ended up finding a small defect in the rear triangle and he helped me get a new one from Norco.

Now I sold the Norco just over a month ago because I have gone back to school and couldn't afford tuition I sold it with the spare rear triangle to ease any concerns with buying a used carbon bike. I also said to contact me if there was any issues and I could try to help and mentioned that I had a warranty on the Chris King hubs.

Sure enough, I just got word from the buyer that he has put a small crack in the seat tube. I talked to my shop and they are unwilling to help us out with getting a new one. Of course, the buyer is very upset and has actually suggested I refund his money. Obviously I am not Walmart and don't offer a return policy, but nonetheless I would like to find a way to help him out if anything is possible.

Any ideas? Anyone have success getting a warrantied frame from Norco without being the original owner?

I imagine they would be willing to help out in order to keep their brand image up, especially since I have seen a few other threads talking about cracked seat tubes, but not sure how to go about this...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have no experience with Norco frames, so take this for what it's worth.

This an odd place for a frame to crack with normal use/setup. Does the new owner have any idea how the crack occurred? Almost all of the seat tube cracks I've heard about are due to inadequate seatpost insertion. If that's the case here, this is totally operator error imo. Fairly common knowledge that a post needs to extend into the seat tube at least 1 inch beyond the tt/st junction. Personally, I prefer 2 inches. Purchaser is on his own.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I have no experience with Norco frames, so take this for what it's worth.

This an odd place for a frame to crack with normal use/setup. Does the new owner have any idea how the crack occurred? Almost all of the seat tube cracks I've heard about are due to inadequate seatpost insertion. If that's the case here, this is totally operator error imo. Fairly common knowledge that a post needs to extend into the seat tube at least 1 inch beyond the tt/st junction. Personally, I prefer 2 inches. Purchaser is on his own.
    Fair enough, but if it happened to be a defect, any thoughts on next steps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eragotte View Post
    Fair enough, but if it happened to be a defect, any thoughts on next steps?
    Hard to say. Based on my experience with other manufacturers, if Norco accepts this as a defect they will let you know how they intend to handle it. It's not going to help that the bike is on its third owner and the lbs is not backing you up. Nice of you to try to help the new owner out, since you are not obligated in my opinion.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Please post pictures of the crack I would like to see it I just had my frame warrantied with a crack around the seat post/ clamp area mine was done very quickly no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Doubt Norco will warranty this one without a bike shop's help. However carbon is easy to repair to just as strong as before the crack, unless it is a bad resin issue. It is actually not that expensive to do so. Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair

I actually think buying a used carbon bike is safer in the long run than buying alloy. We used to repair cracked whitewater slalom kayaks all the time and we didn't sink our boats because of it. Welds on the other hand do not always hold.

As far as demanding his money back that is the risk of buying used and why you pay less than new. Caveat Emptor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by legalyaker View Post
    Doubt Norco will warranty this one without a bike shop's help. However carbon is easy to repair to just as strong as before the crack, unless it is a bad resin issue. It is actually not that expensive to do so. Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair

I actually think buying a used carbon bike is safer in the long run than buying alloy. We used to repair cracked whitewater slalom kayaks all the time and we didn't sink our boats because of it. Welds on the other hand do not always hold.

As far as demanding his money back that is the risk of buying used and why you pay less than new. Caveat Emptor.

the repair option may be his best bet, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187 View Post
    Please post pictures of the crack I would like to see it I just had my frame warrantied with a crack around the seat post/ clamp area mine was done very quickly no questions asked.
    I linked the new owner to the thread, so he can post...

mtbr member
    This guy is the third owner and you think the mfg is going to help? What world is this you live in, I want to move there!

Be carefull with promises you include with things you sell, you'll find a LOT of people using that to their advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer simply decided he didn't like the bike and intentionally damaged it to see if he could unload it back to you, or get a new frame which would make the bike more valuable for resale, because YOU SAID YOU WOULD HELP.

People are *****. I sell everything as is, unless the mfg permits a warrantee ownership change.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bigflamingtaco View Post
    This guy is the third owner and you think the mfg is going to help? What world is this you live in, I want to move there!

Be carefull with promises you include with things you sell, you'll find a LOT of people using that to their advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer simply decided he didn't like the bike and intentionally damaged it to see if he could unload it back to you, or get a new frame which would make the bike more valuable for resale, because YOU SAID YOU WOULD HELP.

People are *****. I sell everything as is, unless the mfg permits a warrantee ownership change.
    Eh, there is a big difference between promising a resolution and offering to try to help a fellow member of the bike community. I only mentioned that I would try to help if anything happened after it was already sold (which I have, unsuccessfully). When he bought the bike he new he had no warranty, he is just upset about it now because he broke the frame.

All that said, I actually agree with you. When something goes wrong people have selective memories. Next time I won't bother saying anything or trying.
    Last edited by eragotte; 09-17-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    The problem with this is that exceptions always become the rule. Norco has a policy that relates to only the original owner. If they start deviating from that as one-off exceptions, well everyone will start to complain. That is bad news for a company.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Why would you tell someone who is buying a third hand bike to "contact you if anything went wrong"? What did you think you'd be able to do for him? I think that was a mistake and now you're in the middle of a situation you should have been done with. Good luck with your dillemma
    Last edited by loopsb; 09-20-2015 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Unfortunately I just posted on another thread about the lack of customer support at Norco, so carbon repair is the best bet. With that said, report it (or have your buyer) report it to the CDSC at saferproducts. Net. For everyone not in the know, this seat tube brake is COMMON on the 2014s- not user error, or user intentional (look it up, it came up a lot when I was researching my seat stay brake). So if people report this, it may go to recall. From my experience thus far, carbon repair would be best option 1, with reporting to the CDSC and hoping for a recall being the next best option. Hope you find a resolution!