Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build

Starting to put together my Norco Revolver 650b. I received the 2016 frame a couple of weeks ago and now weighted and pressed in the bearings. No hurry.

The frame is very nicely finished, and as a surprise included a 3 positions Fox DSL Evolve shock that I am sure will be a plus once on the trail. Weight is about as advertised. I read somewhere a 1800 grams claim for a medium frame and I measured 2148 with just the porky 30 grams seat collar installed. Take away an additional 100 grams for the paint, and 200-250 for the shock and we are right there.

For bearings I used BB86 to 30MM Flanged, Dual Row PressFit 86/92 ABEC-3 Bottom Bracket. Light, at 76, although I would have preferred a PF30 and use wheels manufacturing threaded BB. Installation was a breeze with the WM press and some teflon grease. The headset is IS, no cups, so that also cuts weight (just 64 grams, for the el-cheapo Cane Creek 40). Total 5.0 pounds with headset and bottom bracket.

More to come about the build, mostly waiting for the Fox 34 120 air shaft. Ah, the name. Could not really stand the "Revolver", so she was officially re-baptized OLVE

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build-img_0385.jpg
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build-img_0349.jpgNorco (Rev)Olve(r) Build-img_0352.jpg
    Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build-img_0351.jpg
    Last edited by Davide; 02-07-2017 at 12:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Done! it is 22 pounds in the current configuration. See http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...s-1033947.html for details.

I took it today for a good 2 hours run, 1500 feet elevation gain.

Up the hill the bike goes, it is fast, but ONLY with the shock blue lever in the middle, put it on open and the suspension bobs happily and just stalls on roots or sharp obstacles ... it is a Horst ...

I use a Fox Fit4 34 120 in front that works well, although up steep inclines I can imagine how a 110 would give a better assett. I might get the 110 cartridge.

Downhill, with the shock in open position, it is quite capable, although I am used to my Ibis HD3 that down the hill is in a completely different league.

It is a FUN bike probably just because it is so much less all devouring than the HD3. It is exactly what I was looking for: a second bike with a hard tail feeling, with some plush and a lot of efficiency.

Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build-img_0523.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Up the hill the bike goes, it is fast, but ONLY with the shock blue lever in the middle, put it on open and the suspension bobs happily and just stalls on roots or sharp obstacles ... it is a Horst ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	1136622
    Nice build! I agree with the fact that there is some bob, but to me it's always in check.

I could not disagree more that the suspension gets hung up on bumps and rocks. I actually think mine is exceptional at smoothing out a rough climb and keeping momentum...with minimal pedal kickback. I am running the Monarch rear shock though, so that could make a difference in the bikes feel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Nice build! I agree with the fact that there is some bob, but to me it's always in check.

I could not disagree more that the suspension gets hung up on bumps and rocks. I actually think mine is exceptional at smoothing out a rough climb and keeping momentum...with minimal pedal kickback. I am running the Monarch rear shock though, so that could make a difference in the bikes feel.
    Thank you, she does look nice! Suspension critique might be because I am used to DW-link bikes. The Olve reminds me of my Horst 5-spot, it is good but it just does not have the same climbing capability of the DW in the rough, or over roots and rocks ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Thank you, she does look nice! Suspension critique might be because I am used to DW-link bikes. The Olve reminds me of my Horst 5-spot, it is good but it just does not have the same climbing capability of the DW in the rough, or over roots and rocks ...
    What I noticed on my DW bike (Ripley) was pedal kickback. It was good at A LOT of other things, but pedaling stiffened up the suspension a bit much for my liking. Traction up tech climbs was amazing, and it felt really quick, I'll give it that.

Opinions and and perceptions differ. We have different shocks on our Revolvers, and that could explain why we are experiencing different things. I just don't want somebody to write off buying a Revolver because they feel it will get hung up climbing rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    What I noticed on my DW bike (Ripley) was pedal kickback. It was good at A LOT of other things, but pedaling stiffened up the suspension a bit much for my liking. Traction up tech climbs was amazing, and it felt really quick, I'll give it that.

Opinions and and perceptions differ. We have different shocks on our Revolvers, and that could explain why we are experiencing different things. I just don't want somebody to write off buying a Revolver because they feel it will get hung up climbing rough terrain.
    I did not want to open a can of worms! But I owned Horst bikes (GT-STS, Tuner 5-Spot now the Olve) and DW (Mojo C and HD3) and in my experience there is a big difference between the suspension systems. Suffice to say that my HD3 with 150 mm travel climbs great with the shock in open position. Kick back sounds news to me, the system is very smooth, but different experiences are different experiences ... so ...

And I should have been more precise: when the Olve feels inefficient and can stall is with the shock in the open position. Put it in the mid and it goes fine, however in that setting the stiff 100 mm travel does limit traction.

Having said all that, again it is a fun bike. Think hard tail with a reserve of comfort. Put it on a smooth trail and it is a lovely thing.

mtbr member
    In context of comparing it to a 150mm travel bike, your assessment makes sense. I have very limited time on bikes over 140mm travel.

Our experience on DW bikes was on different bikes so it makes sense that we observed different traits of DW link.

I just wanted to clarify that in the world of XC bikes, I think this is one of the more active and supple bikes out there, especially for climbing rough terrain. We certainly seem to agree that the bike is really fun!