Norco Range and RS debonair setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Norco Range and RS debonair setup

I recently built up a 2nd gen '14 Norco range carbon w/about 4 days of riding in laguna.
    I'm wondering what psi fellow range owners w/debonairs are running?

At 6'2/182 the shock was initially set up at 160/30% but I bottomed out the linkage after casing a jump and prior to that it blew through its travel and ended up pretty oily.
    Then I read an mtbr thread where someone stated that these shocks require high psi.
    body weight plus pack 10 plus 30-40.
    Said mtbr poster also stated that when adding a large amount of air you should cycle shock thru 15% to equalize chambers.

So I tried that, did about 225(air always escapes when removing pump) and got 20- 25% sag.

The shock felt pretty hard and wasn't using full travel so I took it down to 185ish.
    Shock still feels like its ramping up towards the bottom sitting and riding slow. I did slow the rebound down, but the rear really isn't feeling very plush yet.
    seems like the rear end is kicking up into me in the steep chunder.
    maybe this is how the progressive rear end horst link feels...?
    thanks for any feedback!

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtypeddler View Post

At 6'2/182 the shock was initially set up at 160/30% but I bottomed out the linkage after casing a jump and prior to that it blew through its travel and ended up pretty oily.
    Then I read an mtbr thread where someone stated that these shocks require high psi.
    body weight plus pack 10 plus 30-40.
    Said mtbr poster also stated that when adding a large amount of air you should cycle shock thru 15% to equalize chambers.

So I tried that, did about 225(air always escapes when removing pump) and got 20- 25% sag.

The shock felt pretty hard and wasn't using full travel so I took it down to 185ish.
    Shock still feels like its ramping up towards the bottom sitting and riding slow. I did slow the rebound down, but the rear really isn't feeling very plush yet.
    seems like the rear end is kicking up into me in the steep chunder.
    maybe this is how the progressive rear end horst link feels...?
    thanks for any feedback!
    On my range I run about 170psi, weighing about 155-160 without a water pack. Don't listen to anyone who tells you something broad and sweeping about pressure on a given shock unless they're talking about specific frames as well. With literally the same shock, I was running about 190psi on a new nomad. Leverage rates matter and every frame is different.

The bit about equalizing the air chamber is true though. You should definitely cycle the shock and re-check your air pressure if you change it.

Mine is an aftermarket shock so it's the generic M/M compression/rebound tune. What comes from norco may be different. But completely stock with a monarch, these frames are incredibly forgiving and shouldn't be tossing you around at all. If you go too low a pressure what you'll feel is blowing through the travel very quickly into the air shock ramp up. That's not the frame per se, it's just the way air shocks are. At your weight, I'd guess just a hair over 200psi would be good but check sag numbers. I run mine at about 30% or less and don't get any weirdness at either end of the stroke.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Kidwoo, thanks for your feedback. Ya my debonair that came from norco with my frame is m/m tune.
    Its at @185psi and I've still got .25" of travel left.
    Its feels good riding but doesn't feel plush in the p.lot, sit and squish test...but it halls ass so whatever.
    Im now weighing 180 in good shape.
    Still need to dial the rebound. .and install my bottomless tokens on my dpa pike as I'm goin thru travel too easily and heard the clunk noise a couple times already.

Anyone have debonair w/tune other than m/m?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtypeddler View Post
    and install my bottomless tokens on my dpa pike
    You get those maverick ones? What do they look like.

I used a rubber stopper with a hole in it that's working pretty well. I was wondering what maverick's approach was.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes, I bought two maverick tokens/$45 shipped.
    Ill try and take a pic b4 install. Hole down the middle w/2 o rings seated in nicely.
    Most of my buddies run at least 2 in their solo pikes.
    Ill be first I know of personally w/tokens in dpa. Hope I like it