Norco Optic instead of a Giant Anthem or Trance?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Norco Optic instead of a Giant Anthem or Trance?

So...

I'm on an Athem Advance SX 2015 right now... been a great bike but I'm looking for something slightly more trail / all mountain capable.

Next year I was considering picking up a new Anthem 27.5, which seems to be an upgraded version of my current bike with geometry improvements and increased travel... I also was looking at the Trance 29er; although I am surprised to see the travel of those 2 bikes is nearly identical.

Then I stumbled upon the Norco Optic, how would you compare it to my current bike as well as the newer Anthem 27.5 and Trance 29er? With long distance riding, downhill capability and steep or technical climbs?

Thanks!!

Edit: One of my biggest concerns would be giving up the carbon rims.
    Last edited by Kulharin; 09-30-2018 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't own or have first hand experience on the optic, but have been researching it for awhile.

Go-to linkage design blogspot and look up his analysis of each of these bikes for an initial comparison of their pedaling.

Your emphasis on technical climbing might make the Optic a good choice. Much of the criticism of the optic is that it has lower anti squat compared to other bikes in its class.

This can mean wallowing when you want to get on it. This can require constant use of the trail/climb switch on the shock.

The plus is better traction for technical climbs. The Knolly endorphin also comes to mind as owners call it a great technical climber.

Anyway, as I said I'm just an armchair analyzer here as I've been interested in the optic for awhile esp. the geometry. I've been scared off it because of the negative reviews of uninspired pedaling. I am an xc weenie with pink bike dreams so snappy pedaling is important. I've got a Kona Hei Hei trail now which is snappy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thing is the Optic n new anthem 27.5 advance are the same price but the giant includes carbon rims... where else would the norco exceed for the value?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    Thing is the Optic n new anthem 27.5 advance are the same price but the giant includes carbon rims... where else would the norco exceed for the value?
    They are two different animals. The anthem is xc, optic is trail. Better comparisons would be Norco revolver to anthem and optic to Trance.

The Norco sight is one up from the Optic and had been universally praised too.

It is difficult to match Giant in terms of value for the money. Their buying power is so much bigger than a company like Norco.

I've had a soft spot for the anthem too. Have you had a chance to demo each one? Their geometries are different. I've come to like steeper seat tubes.

I imagine the anthem pedals like a rocket. I bet the trance does too. For pure technical climbing where traction is more valuable than speed, to you, I'd say optic. This is just a conjecture though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk