Norco Optic - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norco Optic

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    it says the one i need has a 2mm offset. doesnt say if the version they sent me has one.

BLACK by Absoluteblack Narrow Wide Oval Single Chainring | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn13 View Post
    it says the one i need has a 2mm offset. doesnt say if the version they sent me has one.

BLACK by Absoluteblack Narrow Wide Oval Single Chainring | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Sorry Shawn, I thought it was a direct mount chain ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    love this bike

Scott is a tool.
    Howdy people

I'm two rides in on my A9.1, largely pretty happy with it.

For reference, i've taken the 34 out to 130mm, never rode it at 120mm, so can't comment on the difference, but I just knew I wanted slacker.

Question for you all, what pressure are you running in your shock, how much sag, what do you weigh?

I'm around 200lbs ready to ride, depending on where i'm riding, and I think i've been setting it up too firm. Probably more like 25% sag just because that's how I would normally set my bikes up.

It's felt a little too firm for my liking, but still pretty good, so just curious what others are doing.

Cheers, Grant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Curious is anyone has upgraded the 1x11 gx on the optic to the 1x12 eagle? I want to get the gx 1x12 and use my exisitng gx 32t crankset. Is the 1x12 gx cassette direct replacement with the original 1x11? (obviously i would need to upgrade the derailleur, chain and shifter as well)

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    i successfully upgraded my 1x11 gx to the eagle 1x12 gx this weekend. I used the existing crank and 32t chainring and purchased the upgrade kit that included the cassette, derailleur, shifter and chain. I did test the eagle on a climb i typically suffer on with the 42t and had no issues.

I would like to change the chainring to a 34t which would give me an equivalent ratio of 32t to 46t and provide a better bottom end.

1x12 is definitely the future.

Norco Optic-20171202_182430.jpg

n8_
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just had my pike extended from 130 -> 140 on my 27.5 Optic. I think it was a nice change to the bike. The little bit of ground clearance is nice and it hasn't had a big effect on climbing performance. Front starts to lift a bit earlier on really steep climbs, otherwise no issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Is the C2 worth the extra 1700$(CAD) from the c3?

C2=Fox Performance Elite 34 ,
    Fox Performance Elite Float DPS SV / EVOL
    and
    Race Face AR 27

VS

C3=
    Rockshox Revelation
    Fox Performance Float DPS, EVOL
    and
    WTB STP I25 TCS
    wheels.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    Is the C2 worth the extra 1700$(CAD) from the c3?

C2=Fox Performance Elite 34 ,
    Fox Performance Elite Float DPS SV / EVOL
    and
    Race Face AR 27

VS

C3=
    Rockshox Revelation
    Fox Performance Float DPS, EVOL
    and
    WTB STP I25 TCS
    wheels.
    Subscribed. Id like to hear some feedback on this too?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Iím picking up a 2017 Optic 29er frame to replace my outdated 2010 Fisher Superfly 100. Iíve always run a 120 bike for my XC bikes in that case I simply over forked the bike. I wanted a Revolver but when that wasnít available I researched the Optic line. I feel like the Superfly relies heavily on the pedaling platform from the shock, it at least had a night and day feeling when toggling the switches! The Superfly actually performs pretty well but the geo is so outdated at this point and Iím ready to trade off a bit of pedaling for some cornerning and descending prowess. The truth is I race maybe 5 times a year anyway do a full dedicated race bike is hard to justify. After peeking at geometry charts the Optic just looks like fun.

Now, Iím having second thoughts after reading reviews across the board saying the bike is very vanilla (at best). I will say Iíve spent a lot of time on DW bikes and while they feel good going up I never thought they felt great DH.

Iím going forward with the build but will be researching the firmest shock tune and may even consider adding a remote lock out. Comparing this bike to other current MY bikes, this one seems to just fall under the radar by a good bit, Iím wondering now if I will gel. This will be my first Horst link bike and it will have a 1X drivetrain. Any hope that Iím going to find this thing inspiring for pedaling hard?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Iím picking up a 2017 Optic 29er frame to replace my outdated 2010 Fisher Superfly 100. Iíve always run a 120 bike for my XC bikes in that case I simply over forked the bike. I wanted a Revolver but when that wasnít available I researched the Optic line. I feel like the Superfly relies heavily on the pedaling platform from the shock, it at least had a night and day feeling when toggling the switches! The Superfly actually performs pretty well but the geo is so outdated at this point and Iím ready to trade off a bit of pedaling for some cornerning and descending prowess. The truth is I race maybe 5 times a year anyway do a full dedicated race bike is hard to justify. After peeking at geometry charts the Optic just looks like fun.

Now, Iím having second thoughts after reading reviews across the board saying the bike is very vanilla (at best). I will say Iíve spent a lot of time on DW bikes and while they feel good going up I never thought they felt great DH.

Iím going forward with the build but will be researching the firmest shock tune and may even consider adding a remote lock out. Comparing this bike to other current MY bikes, this one seems to just fall under the radar by a good bit, Iím wondering now if I will gel. This will be my first Horst link bike and it will have a 1X drivetrain. Any hope that Iím going to find this thing inspiring for pedaling hard?!
    I hate to say it, but you will need a lockout shock for the optic, otherwise it pedals like total shit.

For the limited time I had mine, it felt like a boat anchor. There was no efficiency whatsoever in that setup.

Maybe you will make it work for you, but I felt it wasn't a good bike and sold mine.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I hate to say it, but you will need a lockout shock for the optic, otherwise it pedals like total shit.

For the limited time I had mine, it felt like a boat anchor. There was no efficiency whatsoever in that setup.

Maybe you will make it work for you, but I felt it wasn't a good bike and sold mine.
    Interesting. I have a couple friends on the carbon models and they love them! One is a shop owner who could ride anything in his line which also includes Intense, Puvot, Rocky Mountain, Salsa and some boutique brands too. The Optic has been his go to do everything bike for awhile. The other is a fast senior citizen who rides a ton and placing
    on the podium often!

Scott is a tool.

The Optic is plenty efficient on the pedalling front. Sure, itís no XC bike, but thatís not what itís designed for.

I really canít see it being any worse than your Gary Fisher. Saying that, I feel like the standard shocks leave a lot to be desired.

It may not be the right bike for you in time, but I highly doubt it will because of its pedalling prowess. I would hazard that it would be the geometry and suspension curve that you will find the biggest change from your Superfly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I would say the Optic feels more neutral pedaling and comfortable than something like a DW-link bike, which means the suspension stays active under power on rougher ground rather than stiffening up, losing traction.

While some may perceive it's not pedaling efficiently, I've set most of my uphill PR's on this bike, even compared to my hardtail of the same weight. And when I've swapped bikes with my friend who's the same speed on our own bikes, he's instantly faster than me on the Optic So the Optic is fast, but the way it feels may not make it obvious. It's way better handling and more comfortable than an XC bike too. I think it's the perfect choice to run something like the BC Bike Race, on real mountain biking courses with roots and other and technical challenges.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Subscribed. Id like to hear some feedback on this too?
    I ended buying the C2. I did not want to play the upgrade game.

What made me decide was a demo day. I tried a Norco sight c2, a norco sight c7.2 a Pivot switchblade (the Pro XT build 27.5+) and the optic C2 that day on the same track.

By far my favorite bike of all 4 was the Optic.

This bike climb like no other bike i ever tried and I felt I had better control in rock garden or roots. Of course it is a bit more rough on descend compared to the pivot or the sight.

Just for fun i weighted the c3 and c2: the C3 weights 29.5 (with tubes) and the C2 weights 28.5 with tubes.

I do not regret buying the C2. The only thing I will change on the bike is the grips.

NedwannaB

What made me decide was a demo day. I tried a Norco sight c2, a norco sight c7.2 a Pivot switchblade (the Pro XT build 27.5+) and the optic C2 that day on the same track.

This bike climb like no other bike i ever tried and I felt I had better control in rock garden or roots. Of course it is a bit more rough on descend compared to the pivot or the sight.

Just for fun i weighted the c3 and c2: the C3 weights 29.5 (with tubes) and the C2 weights 28.5 with tubes.

I do not regret buying the C2. The only thing I will change on the bike is the grips.
    Ahhhh yes, carbon. I was quoted $2400 for the Optic A1, $2700 for the C3. Shop owner friend would like to get me on carbon but knows I'm on a budget but wouldn't feel good about selling me the C3. C2 would be ~$700 more than the C3.

I have also looked at both frame versions of the YT Jeffsy 29 which are pretty compatible in price. Ugh......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Did you get 29 or 27.5?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    The Optic is plenty efficient on the pedalling front. Sure, itís no XC bike, but thatís not what itís designed for.

I really canít see it being any worse than your Gary Fisher. Saying that, I feel like the standard shocks leave a lot to be desired.

It may not be the right bike for you in time, but I highly doubt it will because of its pedalling prowess. I would hazard that it would be the geometry and suspension curve that you will find the biggest change from your Superfly.
    Frame arrived yesterday. Will get built with old drive train and brakes, building some DT Swiss 350 hubs to Race Face ARC 24 rims, Fox 34 Step Cast fork, Fox DPS shock, likely some Race Face cranks as well. I'll report back in a week or so once it's built and I can get some time on it. After riding this bikes big brother, the Fluid, I'm thinking I made a good choice...

Norco Optic-img_5224.jpg
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Frame arrived yesterday. Will get built with old drive train and brakes, building some DT Swiss 350 hubs to Race Face ARC 24 rims, Fox 34 Step Cast fork, Fox DPS shock, likely some Race Face cranks as well. I'll report back in a week or so once it's built and I can get some time on it. After riding this bikes big brother, the Fluid, I'm thinking I made a good choice...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5224.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	1207041
    How much was the frame? I tough the frame only option this year was orangeÖ. is it the 2017 frame?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hey all, does anyone know how long of a dropper I can get in my 2017 size large? Haven't been able to find anything anywhere with suggestions. I'd really like to have a 125 or even 150 plus I just hate the KS on it rn. It drives me insane with how slow it is compared to my other posts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Iíll add more later with pics but - yeah, the pedaling platform of the optic is 100% trail bike. I feel like it needs to be 100% locked out in order to achieve any efficiency, which isnít necessarily a bad thing, right? Because the trade off is a very active suspension design that definitely feels like more than 110 travel. Iíd say pass if you value XC like pedaling, and grasp if you dig short travel trail bikes and donít mind relying on those shock switches. Iím digging the bike so far and have hit some DH PRs... uphills, not so much. Iíll probably build up a revolver eventually. Iím sitting at 26.5 lbs with a mostly modest build. For racing the bike really needs a remote, however itís really not designed to accommodate the way the cables come out of the frame... I may get creative. More to come....

mtbr member
    I'm getting along well with this bike. I did a few shuttle runs down some longer back country goodies and that really made this bike shine. Very balanced bike that allows to release the brakes longer than expected. I hit more DH PRs today and had more in me, the bike had plenty more than me. I'm really into the idea of short travel 29er trail bikes, let's face it that what more folks should ride. I may still build up a race bike for XC but I'm pretty smitten with this rig. Crazy - but I feel faster on this bike than my Evil Wreckoning. I wouldn't want to kill it at a bike park but for gnarly back country trails this thing... rips.

The Optic is a sleeper. Go buy one.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    The Optic is a sleeper. Go buy one.
    Unless you want to pedal efficiently up hill. Then go buy something else or engineer a lockout.

From linkagedesign.blogspot:

As you can see in the excel table and in the previous graphs the system of the new Norco Optic has a somewhat low Pedaling Efficiency and in theory it does not end up adapting too well to either a 1x11 or a modern 2x11 transmission with some developments of 36T-26T. The ideal in this case I think it would be to use a 2x11 with slightly smaller plates or a 3x11 Compact with a 22T-30T-40T, in any case the system will always depend a bit on the damper lock. The Pedal-kickback (10ļ) is usually proportional to the percentage of Anti-squat and as is logical in this case it remains at a fairly low level, like the Brake-squat (37%), something that is also very predictable in a system of this type.

And....I've had one of these bikes. It pedals like shit.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

Scott is a tool.
    Unless you want to pedal efficiently up hill. Then go buy something else or engineer a lockout.

From linkagedesign.blogspot:

As you can see in the excel table and in the previous graphs the system of the new Norco Optic has a somewhat low Pedaling Efficiency and in theory it does not end up adapting too well to either a 1x11 or a modern 2x11 transmission with some developments of 36T-26T. The ideal in this case I think it would be to use a 2x11 with slightly smaller plates or a 3x11 Compact with a 22T-30T-40T, in any case the system will always depend a bit on the damper lock. The Pedal-kickback (10ļ) is usually proportional to the percentage of Anti-squat and as is logical in this case it remains at a fairly low level, like the Brake-squat (37%), something that is also very predictable in a system of this type.

And....I've had one of these bikes. It pedals like shit.
    Haha.

Ok.

So emotive.

I really donít get the hate on the optic pedalling platform. Itís not meant to be a snappy pedaler, itís not what itís designed for, but itís hardly a slug.

People that complain so passionately how poorly a bike pedals more often than not need to look at whatís turning the pedals...

Yes, linkage data. Cool, canít argue with data. But just like bike geometry, linkage data wonít always feel the way data suggests when out on the trail.

Go and ride your bike, people.

NedwannaB
    Yeah not sure where the hates coming from, I could see if it was about the uphill efficiency of the ďSightĒ! 🤪
    Sometimes for some riders bikes just donít gel, get another and move on!

On one ride I had a hard time shaking off a guy on a 6 mile high altitude uphill and then a 14 mile quasi-tech downhill on an entry level alloy Optic A3! On halfworn tyres too! Brake fade was what finally gave me the gap on him a few miles from the bottom!

high pivot witchcraft
    Yeah not sure where the hates coming from, I could see if it was about the uphill efficiency of the ďSightĒ! 浪
    Ouch!

My 29er Sight climbs incredibly well, and that is with a beefy DHF/DHR2 combo on it. I climb non-stop to all the summits in my area, and then have about 3/4 of a tank of gas left for the downs, where I throw that bike around like a rag doll. Contrast that with my 27.5 pound Range, where I was on empty after reaching the summits. Every single time.

My times on my Sight, up AND DOWN, shatter everything I was able to accomplish on my Range. Don't be dissing the Sight, especially if you haven't ridden a 2018

From the same Linkage Design blog:

"As you can see in the table excel and graphs the above new Norco Sight have a system with a faultless pedaling efficiency, thanks to percentages Anti-squat about 100%...unlike what happened in the previous model...truth is that there is nothing to criticize..."

Combine that with the steep STA and rest of the geo, and that thing is a climbing beast.

Out of all the bikes I have owned, the only ones that could rival my Sight climbing were my Scott Genius and an old Blur.

I am actually thinking about checking out an Optic next. I am blown away by the 29er Sight's prowess on the downs. Maybe I don't even need the 130 mm travel my Sight has. I was concerned about that. Man, that thing is better in the chunk than my 160 Range ever was.

I am going to try to throw a leg over an Optic this weekend. If I do, I will post a comparison of the two. Or even of the three. What the hell.

From yesterday...

Norco Optic-fullsizeoutput_5a.jpg
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 08-07-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Scott is a tool.
    So, Iíve been tweaking and messing around with suspension settings, and Iíve ultimately still found myself wanting more from the rear shock.

For me the suspension curve is great, but the shock, like so many Fox Floats Iíve ridden just feels like a flexy plank of wood, just no life to it.

Would love to put a Cane Creek DB Inline Coil on, as Iíve run a coil on my last three bikes, but cost is prohibitive. But there was still another option.....

Vorsprung Corset.

I chatted to Steve at Vorsprung and he suggested Iíd see a performance improvement. How right he was....

Shock = amazing.

Downsides? Maybe a couple more pedal strikes than usual. To be expected as it sags a bit more readily.

Positives? Grip, grip, grip and tracking.

On repeated harp edge hits it just kept coming back for more. No harsh feeling, ramped up smoothly, but felt almost coil like. Almost...

Ran it open, no propedal. Still plenty efficient, felt very balanced between small bump, ramp up and pedalling. Also, I dislike having to flick switches. I ran it at the recommended 25% higher than your normal air pressure. Which for me is 225psi, Iím roughly 90kg ready to ride.

I still had plenty of rebound adjustment to play with too.

Added some compression on the fork, it somehow suddenly felt a bit soft and out of balance, seemed to do the trick.

In summary, it does what it says on the tin.

Get one for your Optic.

Awesome bang for your buck.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    So, Iíve been tweaking and messing around with suspension settings, and Iíve ultimately still found myself wanting more from the rear shock.

For me the suspension curve is great, but the shock, like so many Fox Floats Iíve ridden just feels like a flexy plank of wood, just no life to it.

Would love to put a Cane Creek DB Inline Coil on, as Iíve run a coil on my last three bikes, but cost is prohibitive. But there was still another option.....

Vorsprung Corset.

I chatted to Steve at Vorsprung and he suggested Iíd see a performance improvement. How right he was....

Shock = amazing.

Downsides? Maybe a couple more pedal strikes than usual. To be expected as it sags a bit more readily.

Positives? Grip, grip, grip and tracking.

On repeated harp edge hits it just kept coming back for more. No harsh feeling, ramped up smoothly, but felt almost coil like. Almost...

Ran it open, no propedal. Still plenty efficient, felt very balanced between small bump, ramp up and pedalling. Also, I dislike having to flick switches. I ran it at the recommended 25% higher than your normal air pressure. Which for me is 225psi, Iím roughly 90kg ready to ride.

I still had plenty of rebound adjustment to play with too.

Added some compression on the fork, it somehow suddenly felt a bit soft and out of balance, seemed to do the trick.

In summary, it does what it says on the tin.

Get one for your Optic.

Awesome bang for your buck.

Cheers.
    I have felt the same way about the rear shock as well. It's just kind of there and neither soaks up stuff nor gives you a platform to push off of. I've looked at the CC DB Coil and I wanted to get one but didn't know how the bike would handle having a coil.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by evanofd View Post
    I have felt the same way about the rear shock as well. It's just kind of there and neither soaks up stuff nor gives you a platform to push off of. I've looked at the CC DB Coil and I wanted to get one but didn't know how the bike would handle having a coil.

I have no doubt the coil would be amazing.

The weight difference would be negligible but the performance gain would be worth it.

mtbr member
    I just got my Optic and love it...had a Revolver, but am not racing and wanna jump explore more...anyone know why they dont have Optic w/carbon rear? And not many posts in general on the Optic....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399 View Post
    I just got my Optic and love it...had a Revolver, but am not racing and wanna jump explore more...anyone know why they dont have Optic w/carbon rear? And not many posts in general on the Optic....
    From my experience with my carbon rear on my Hei Hei, I wish it was AL. Broke it where the hanger mounts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did you get the 29er or 27.5? How does it pedal vs the revolver? There was a guy that had both, he loved the revolver pedaling but hated the optic pedaling.

mtbr member
    I think they started adding carbon seatstays to the Optic in 2018. When I bought my 2016 Optic C2 29er I was really confused why the Range had a full carbon rear end and the Optic didn't. I was a little bummed until I saw a good portion of those Range rear triangles break/crack.

mtbr member

Optic

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    Did you get the 29er or 27.5? How does it pedal vs the revolver? There was a guy that had both, he loved the revolver pedaling but hated the optic pedaling.

These posts are just funny, and after reading some reviews I am just glad I donít take it straight from reviews etc....this is not a XC bike! It will not ever be as efficient as the Revolver (that is slower than the Epic or the Scalpel) the geometry is compared
    To the Revolver or any XC way more relaxed and itís heavy by a ton...this is a true trail bike and yes would be nice with 120mm rear but the 110 can handle plenty if you do t think so then by god go get a 150mm bike. And to throw some more fuel on the fire if you really wanna improve pedaling on ANY bike get you some oval rings! Had em for yes and they work!

mtbr member
    These posts are just funny, and after reading some reviews I am just glad I donít take it straight from reviews etc....this is not a XC bike! It will not ever be as efficient as the Revolver (that is slower than the Epic or the Scalpel) the geometry is compared
    To the Revolver or any XC way more relaxed and itís heavy by a ton...this is a true trail bike and yes would be nice with 120mm rear but the 110 can handle plenty if you do t think so then by god go get a 150mm bike. And to throw some more fuel on the fire if you really wanna improve pedaling on ANY bike get you some oval rings! Had em for yes and they work!
    I'm the guy that had both.

The Optic pedaled like shit. Go look at the comments and graphs on Linkage Blog.

And, funny you mention oval chain rings as I had to move down to a 28 oval to even get it to pedal decently. Larger rings reduce the efficiency in case you're wondering.

Btw, the Revolver is about 2 years outdated now. Nice back in 2016, but wouldn't touch one now.
    by Silentfoe

Scott is a tool.
    I'm the guy that had both.

The Optic pedaled like shit. Go look at the comments and graphs on Linkage Blog.

And, funny you mention oval chain rings as I had to move down to a 28 oval to even get it to pedal decently. Larger rings reduce the efficiency in case you're wondering.

Btw, the Revolver is about 2 years outdated now. Nice back in 2016, but wouldn't touch one now.
    Yawn.

It doesn't pedal like shit, it just doesn't pedal like an XC bike, nor is it meant to.

Couldn't give a hoot about the linkage data. People just need to adjust their expectations, short travel doesn't always mean snappy pedalling, it may just mean efficient use of travel overall.... Which is what the Optic does.

It's a great trail bike that can handle more than what it's travel numbers would suggest.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yawn.

It doesn't pedal like shit, it just doesn't pedal like an XC bike, nor is it meant to.

Couldn't give a hoot about the linkage data. People just need to adjust their expectations, short travel doesn't always mean snappy pedalling, it may just mean efficient use of travel overall.... Which is what the Optic does.

It's a great trail bike that can handle more than what it's travel numbers would suggest.

It doesn't even pedal well compared to other trail bikes. Enjoy your ride.
    by Silentfoe

Scott is a tool.
    It doesn't even pedal well compared to other trail bikes. Enjoy your ride.
    Ridden all of them? I haven't.

What's your beef with the Optic? It's not the best bike out there, but it's far from the worst.

mtbr member
    Ridden all of them? I haven't.

What's your beef with the Optic? It's not the best bike out there, but it's far from the worst.

No beef. I owned one. Just sharing my experience in case people are interested in a perspective. That's what this website is for.

As you stated, there are better bikes. Focus on those. Why buy an inferior product?
    by Silentfoe

Scott is a tool.
    No beef. I owned one. Just sharing my experience in case people are interested in a perspective. That's what this website is for.

As you stated, there are better bikes. Focus on those. Why buy an inferior product?
    Better, but what what price point?

You're just very emotive with your language, yet without little articulation about the details.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Since i recently ordered one of these (2017 C1 27.5 version), I was pretty interested to come across this rather long thread.

I'm coming from a Horst-Link Ellsworth Epiphany (2006), with similar travel but 26" wheels. For the first few years that bike rode super plush and I could climb almost anything, but I did struggle with frequent pedal-strikes and the general feeling of sluggishness...just no support in the top half of its travel. I replaced the shock (RS MC 3.3) with an updated Monarch and the bike came alive. No more pedal strikes and a great platform for hammering. But after 12 wonderful years, it was finally time for an update. While the Optic is a couple of years old now, this bike is still brand new. At a fraction of MSRP, and with a killer wheelset and spec, I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity.

The 'vanilla' vibe of how the Optic rides sounds like it should be up my alley. Since I'm in my mid 40s and have some back issues, comfort is more important than raw speed. I'm happy to reach down and switch on the ProPedal once in a while for the few extended smooth climbs where I ride.

The complete bike is supposed to weigh about 24.25 lbs out of the box (which compared to my 31lb Ellsworth will be a huge adjustment...makes me giddy thinking about it). I will be immediately swapping out the stock tires to the venerable 2.35 Maxis Highroller II (run tubeless) and also swapping the Reverb to a static seatpost (Brand new Reverb anyone?)....this should more or less keep the weight the same, though more rolling mass.

Anyway, while reading through all of these excellent posts (although not much love for the 27.5 version), I came across the posts one individual in particular, Zerort, whose tone, I think, kind of sours the whole mood. If you read their posts back-to-back, there is a bit of a grating undertone which doesn't sit well. While they are entitled to their opinions, I noted that they chose to outfit their bike with a longer than spec fork travel (though one pic looks more like a RS Pike, not a Fox fork), and pretty huge (for a 29" lightweight trailbike) 2.6" tires, which was odd since weight seemed to be an important factor.

I also noted the date on one post with a pic of an incomplete bike (18 Jan, 2017) vs. the post indicating the bike was for sale (26 Mar, 2017). So ~2 months of riding, and they live in Michigan...so winter-time, which is probably not the greatest time of year for assessing the capabilities of a trailbike. I live at a similar latitude, and have ridden year round for the past 3 decades, so I have much experience with the normal weather during these months. They also indicated using studded tires, so I'm guessing it was icy at times.

While they had the bike, their posts included comments such as: comfortable, plush, decent handling, no bobbing, ride all day, climbs very well with tons of traction.

Then after posting it for sale: "I ran a Fox 130 travel fork with 29" x 2.6 tires. For XC type trails, it was not a good fit." Duh? ....out of spec fork, tractor tires....no, it might not be a good fit for XC-type riding, particularly if the benchmark is a decked-out 22lb Revolver. By the way, I too have had considerable experience with the Knolly Endorphin (almost a full season on a demo) and I loved it, but wanted to buy something a little less burly.

Then the tune changed (presumably after making the sale):
    "it pedals like total shit", "It pedals like shit", "The Optic pedaled like shit".... with sparingly little detail on what this actually means.

Further, there is lots of talk about the optimal chainring size (and round vs. oval), but really no mention of other highly-influential parameters such as suspension tuning (sag, compression and rebound settings etc.), tire pressure etc.. This seems pretty odd to me. Heck, maybe they set their suspension and tire pressures up indoors without considering that a 30 degree Celsius drop in temperature (e.x. during Michigan wintertime) is equal to about a 10% drop in air pressure (in a closed system like a shock or a tire)? Of course viscosity of damper oil increases at lower temperatures.

Also some other random comments: "Not the greatest rider", "just saying that I need as much help going up hills as possible", "I usually buy 2 to 3 bikes a year. I could care less about the warranty" (I assume this was a grammatical error and they actually don't care about warranty), "the Revolver is about 2 years outdated now. Nice back in 2016, but wouldn't touch one now"...

I guess if one isn't a strong rider (paraphrasing their words), buys bikes as frequently as this, and is always on to the newest trend, then maybe a Jack-of-all-trades -type trailbike, along with a bit of a strange spec, and ridden for only a short time in less-than-ideal weather, isn't going to knock their socks off.

That said, what I can't understand is why, more than 2 years after selling the bike, this person continues to pile on the negativity in this thread.

Thank you for sharing your perspective Zerort, we've got it loud and clear.
    Last edited by dllewell; 11-25-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by dllewell View Post
    Since i recently ordered one of these (2017 C1 27.5 version), I was pretty interested to come across this rather long thread.

I'm coming from a Horst-Link Ellsworth Epiphany (2006), with similar travel but 26" wheels. For the first few years that bike rode super plush and I could climb almost anything, but I did struggle with frequent pedal-strikes and the general feeling of sluggishness...just no support in the top half of its travel. I replaced the shock (RS MC 3.3) with an updated Monarch and the bike came alive. No more pedal strikes and a great platform for hammering. But after wonderful years, it was finally time for an update. While the Optic is a couple of years old now, this bike is still brand new. At a fraction of MSRP, and with a killer wheelset and spec, I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity.

The 'vanilla' vibe of how the Optic rides sounds like it should be up my alley. Since I'm in my mid 40s and have some back issues, comfort is more important than raw speed. I'm happy to reach down and switch on the ProPedal for the few extended smooth climbs where I ride.

The complete bike is supposed to weigh about 24.25 lbs out of the box (which compared to my 31lb Ellsworth will be a huge adjustment...makes me giddy thinking about it). I will be immediately swapping out the stock tires to the venerable 2.35 Maxis Highroller II (run tubeless) and also swapping the Reverb to a static seatpost (Brand new Reverb anyone?)....this should more or less keep the weight the same, though more rolling mass.

Anyway, while reading through all of these excellent posts (although not much love for the 27.5 version), I came across the posts one individual in particular, Zerort, whose tone, I think, kind of sours the whole mood. If you their posts back-to-back, there is a bit of a grating undertone which doesn't sit well. While they are entitled to their opinions, I noted that they chose to outfit their bike with a longer than spec fork travel (though one pic looks more like a RS Pike, not a Fox fork), and pretty huge (for a 29" lightweight trailbike) 2.6" tires, which was odd since weight seemed to be an important factor.

I also noted the date on one post with a pic of an incomplete bike (18 Jan, 2017) vs. the post indicating the bike was for sale (26 Mar, 2017). So ~2 months of riding, and they live in Michigan...so winter-time was probably not the greatest time of year for assessing the capabilities of a trailbike. I live at a similar latitude, and have ridden year round for the past 3 decades, so I have much experience with the normal weather during these months. They indicated using studded tires, so I'm guessing it was icy at times.

While they had the bike, their posts included comments such as: comfortable, plush, decent handling, no bobbing, ride all day, climbs very well with tons of traction.

Then after posting it for sale: "I ran a Fox 130 travel fork with 29" x 2.6 tires. For XC type trails, it was not a good fit." Duh? ....out of spec fork, tractor tires....no, it might not be a good fit for XC-type riding, particularly if the benchmark is a decked-out 22lb Revolver. By the way, I too have had considerable experience with the Knolly Endorphin (almost a full season on a demo) and I loved it, but wanted to buy something a little less burly.

"it pedals like total shit", "It pedals like shit", "The Optic pedaled like shit".... with sparingly little detail on what this actually means.

Further, there is lots of talk about the optimal chainring size (and round vs. oval), but really no mention of other highly-influential parameters such as suspension tuning (sag, compression and rebound settings etc.), tire pressure etc.. This seems pretty odd to me. Heck, maybe they set their suspension and tire pressures up indoors without considering that a 30 degree Celsius drop in temperature (e.x. during Michigan wintertime) is equal to about a 10% drop in air pressure (in a closed system like a shock or a tire)? Of course viscosity of damper oil increases at lower temperatures.

Also some other random comments: "Not the greatest rider", "just saying that I need as much help going up hills as possible", "I usually buy 2 to 3 bikes a year. I could care less about the warranty" (I assume this was a grammatical error and they actually don't care about warranty), "the Revolver is about 2 years outdated now. Nice back in 2016, but wouldn't touch one now"...

I guess if one isn't a strong rider (paraphrasing their words), buys bikes as frequently as this, and is always on to the newest trend, then maybe a Jack-of-all-trades -type trailbike, along with a bit of a strange spec, and ridden for a short time in less-than-ideal weather, isn't going to knock their socks off.

What I can't understand is why, more than 2 years after selling the bike, this person continues to pile on the negativity in this thread. Thank you for sharing your perspective Zerort, we've got it.
    Nailed it.

Enjoy your "uncool 27.5" Optic....

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Interesting discussion. I've ridden nearly every bike in the category (ST Trail) and pretty into the 29er platform. I've owned an Optic for over a year, ridden a few XC races and Enduros and absolutely love the bike. I rent/demo bikes all over and have yet to find something that makes me want to sell the Optic. It can handle such a large range of riding style and swap out a few things accordingly (tires, dropper). That said, I'm looking to squeak out a bit more on the rowdy end of things with it.

I have the Revelation up front and find myself packing it out even with high comp numbers. I'm wondering about going to a 130 or 140 fork with a little better adjustability and better damping capability.

Waldog - are you still liking the Vorsprung setup out back? What fork are you running? It seems like a new fork and the Corset could make an already great bike the perfect bike? I'm 6'1, 185 and ride the Large carbon.

Thanks, guys!

high pivot witchcraft
    ***original post deleted***

I would suggest you enjoy your Optics.

I don't own one, but I had a 2015 Range, and currently ride a 2018 Sight.

Lots and lots and lots of Optics on the local trails. All I see are grins.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 01-17-2019 at 12:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by patternw View Post
    Interesting discussion. I've ridden nearly every bike in the category (ST Trail) and pretty into the 29er platform. I've owned an Optic for over a year, ridden a few XC races and Enduros and absolutely love the bike. I rent/demo bikes all over and have yet to find something that makes me want to sell the Optic. It can handle such a large range of riding style and swap out a few things accordingly (tires, dropper). That said, I'm looking to squeak out a bit more on the rowdy end of things with it.

I have the Revelation up front and find myself packing it out even with high comp numbers. I'm wondering about going to a 130 or 140 fork with a little better adjustability and better damping capability.

Waldog - are you still liking the Vorsprung setup out back? What fork are you running? It seems like a new fork and the Corset could make an already great bike the perfect bike? I'm 6'1, 185 and ride the Large carbon.

Thanks, guys!
    I swapped on a 140 fox 34 and magura mt5s on my 27.5 version and it was amazing. Still climbed like a champ and ran like a bat out of hell down hill. The mismatched travel seems to give you a hard tail kind of feel without harshness. The rev. Was too flexy for me anyway being that I am 5'10 and 210 with riding gear and ride like a bull in a china shop. 10/10 would recommend a 34 or a pike or CC helm (always love that usa made)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by patternw View Post

Thanks, guys!
    Hey buddy

I've taken the Corset off some time ago now.

It is a great bit of kit, and I only removed from the point of view of tuning/compatibility issues, to be specific, i'm too heavy for it on the Optic.

What this meant was in practical terms is that for the spring rate i needed to run there wasn't enough rebound damping to stop it feeling like a pogo stick. In fast, rough descending it was insanely good, but in slow stuff it was too fast in the back.

I still want to put a coil on it, or maybe i'll get the rebound circuit re-tuned, but for now i'm just running the stock, underwhelming shock.

For reference, i hover around the 200 mark.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hi, i have a 29er Optic and i`m thinking about invert the position of the shock. Is it posible to do it? Does anyone tried it? Apart from lowering the center of mass a little bit, does it change the ridding behavior of the optic or, the differences are minimal?
    Best regards,

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaguelord View Post
    Hi, i have a 29er Optic and i`m thinking about invert the position of the shock. Is it posible to do it? Does anyone tried it? Apart from lowering the center of mass a little bit, does it change the ridding behavior of the optic or, the differences are minimal?
    Best regards,
    Wait. What?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Does anyone know if 29 X 2.6 tires would fit on the OPTIC Carbon?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just picked up a 2018 A9.1, some first impressions.

Coming from a 2012 SC Superlight (26, 2x9, 120/100mm, QR), Optic feels remarkably nimble/compact. Suspension is more active that single pivot of the Superlight, but in a positive way: bike seems to track really well.

This is a lot of bike for the buck: Pike, XT, decent wheelset. Have not weighed it, but expect it is heavier than the Superlight. However, Optic doesn't feel heavier while riding.

Bigger wheels are a thing: they actually roll better over rocks and roots, allowing to keep momentum.

Glad I went with the Large (while Norco Website suggested XL for my 6'1): 76cm saddle height fits well, and position is close to the Superlight.

Interesting experience also with the new Norco Buy Online/Pick-up at Norco LBS: the Optic was 30% off on the website, while the LBS website showed the original price; LBS is currently having sale of 2018 models and is still offering less discount.

Ordering and delivery to LBS from the website was straightforward.

LBS was a different story: took them several days to get the bike ready, and then it still wasn't ready when I went to pick it up.

LBS staff didn't seem to be up to speed on the new business model. Got zero customer service: no adjustments made (e.g. saddle height, suspension setup), had to install my pedals myself, did not ask for any ID or the unique confirmation code Norco sent. Cables on bike were untidy.

So did not feel that LBS added any value (vs. sending the bike directly to me). Strange, because the LBS could have established a relationship with a new customer, but I felt they were completely not interested.

Not sure this is the right business model...

Enjoying the bike though.

Norco Optic-p5pb17175019.jpg
    Norco Optic-p5pb17175018.jpg
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Those green optics were such an insane steal while Norco was blowing them out. Enjoy your new bike.

That story is bizarre about the "no value added" thing with their online platform.... They were 30% off on the regular B2B website too. The store should have just price matched or ordered one in for you normally. The "deals" on Norco's website are available at every dealer anyway, they aren't exclusive. It's particularly dumb because dealers get right about the same margin from Norco in the regular B2B and when people go "consumer direct" on their website, so I feel like you were owed better service. That dealer didn't have a clue I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Have put a few more rides in on the A9.1, a few more impressions:

- 1x11 gearing has been working out well: with the 30x46, have not missed my 22x34 (on26) yet, but still keep an open mind on eventually converting to 2x11 once I will have put in some longer climbs (one of the reasons of going for the Optic was the possibility of installing a FD - options, options)

- tuned the suspension a bit more, with more sag (30% vs. initial 25%) in the back. Suspension is a bit more active but the rear wheel tracks better

- swapped out the Nobby Nic in the front for a 2.4 Bontrager XR4: NN is doing a good job in the back, but I didn't find it very reassuring in the front (lacking a bit of grip from the side nobs).

Only other tweak I'm considering at this point swapping the 50mm stem for a 60mm, but will put in some more rides with the stock 50mm first.

Also pleasantly surprised by TransX post.

Last but not least: haven't had the urge to weigh the bike (yet), another sign to me of its overall ride quality.

SC SuperLight

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by pirati View Post

- 1x11 gearing has been working out well: with the 30x46, have not missed my 22x34 (on26) yet, but still keep an open mind on eventually converting to 2x11 once I will have put in some longer climbs (one of the reasons of going for the Optic was the possibility of installing a FD - options, options)

- tuned the suspension a bit more, with more sag (30% vs. initial 25%) in the back. Suspension is a bit more active but the rear wheel tracks better

- swapped out the Nobby Nic in the front for a 2.4 Bontrager XR4: NN is doing a good job in the back, but I didn't find it very reassuring in the front (lacking a bit of grip from the side nobs).

Only other tweak I'm considering at this point swapping the 50mm stem for a 60mm, but will put in some more rides with the stock 50mm first.

Last but not least: haven't had the urge to weigh the bike (yet), another sign to me of its overall ride quality.
    Good timing. Going into my lbs tomorrow to inquire about one of these A.1's.😎

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by dllewell View Post

I'm coming from a Horst-Link Ellsworth Epiphany (2006), with similar travel but 26" wheels. For the first few years that bike rode super plush and I could climb almost anything, but I did struggle with frequent pedal-strikes and the general feeling of sluggishness...just no support in the top half of its travel. I replaced the shock (RS MC 3.3) with an updated Monarch and the bike came alive. No more pedal strikes and a great platform for hammering. But after 12 wonderful years, it was finally time for an update. While the Optic is a couple of years old now, this bike is still brand new. At a fraction of MSRP, and with a killer wheelset and spec, I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity.

The 'vanilla' vibe of how the Optic rides sounds like it should be up my alley. Since I'm in my mid 40s and have some back issues, comfort is more important than raw speed. I'm happy to reach down and switch on the ProPedal once in a while for the few extended smooth climbs where I ride.

Anyway, while reading through all of these excellent posts (although not much love for the 27.5 version), I came across the posts one individual in particular, Zerort, whose tone, I think, kind of sours the whole mood. If you read their posts back-to-back, there is a bit of a grating undertone which doesn't sit well. While they are entitled to their opinions, I noted that they chose to outfit their bike with a longer than spec fork travel (though one pic looks more like a RS Pike, not a Fox fork), and pretty huge (for a 29" lightweight trailbike) 2.6" tires, which was odd since weight seemed to be an important factor.

I also noted the date on one post with a pic of an incomplete bike (18 Jan, 2017) vs. the post indicating the bike was for sale (26 Mar, 2017). So ~2 months of riding, and they live in Michigan...so winter-time, which is probably not the greatest time of year for assessing the capabilities of a trailbike. I live at a similar latitude, and have ridden year round for the past 3 decades, so I have much experience with the normal weather during these months. They also indicated using studded tires, so I'm guessing it was icy at times.

I guess if one isn't a strong rider (paraphrasing their words), buys bikes as frequently as this, and is always on to the newest trend, then maybe a Jack-of-all-trades -type trailbike, along with a bit of a strange spec, and ridden for only a short time in less-than-ideal weather, isn't going to knock their socks off.

That said, what I can't understand is why, more than 2 years after selling the bike, this person continues to pile on the negativity in this thread.

Thank you for sharing your perspective Zerort, we've got it loud and clear.
    More time has passed, and yet continues to pile on his negative spin:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...03659#poststop

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Ouch!

My 29er Sight climbs incredibly well, and that is with a beefy DHF/DHR2 combo on it. I climb non-stop to all the summits in my area, and then have about 3/4 of a tank of gas left for the downs, where I throw that bike around like a rag doll. Contrast that with my 27.5 pound Range, where I was on empty after reaching the summits. Every single time.

My times on my Sight, up AND DOWN, shatter everything I was able to accomplish on my Range. Don't be dissing the Sight, especially if you haven't ridden a 2018

From the same Linkage Design blog:

"As you can see in the table excel and graphs the above new Norco Sight have a system with a faultless pedaling efficiency, thanks to percentages Anti-squat about 100%...unlike what happened in the previous model...truth is that there is nothing to criticize..."

Combine that with the steep STA and rest of the geo, and that thing is a climbing beast.

Out of all the bikes I have owned, the only ones that could rival my Sight climbing were my Scott Genius and an old Blur.

I am actually thinking about checking out an Optic next. I am blown away by the 29er Sight's prowess on the downs. Maybe I don't even need the 130 mm travel my Sight has. I was concerned about that. Man, that thing is better in the chunk than my 160 Range ever was.

I am going to try to throw a leg over an Optic this weekend. If I do, I will post a comparison of the two. Or even of the three. What the hell.

From yesterday...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5a.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	1211353
    A lil late back to the party just wanted to clarify wasnt dissn on the Sight!😎

mtbr member
    More time has passed, and yet continues to pile on his negative spin:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...03659#poststop
    People ask, I answer.

Enjoy your bike. Glad I sold mine.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Some further updates after more rides.

- finally swapped the stock contact points out for the one I had on my 26" Superlight: WTB saddle, Giant Connect 60mm stem and Giant Contact SL bar (same width, but less back sweep than the Norco branded one), and I'm in a position that almost feels the same as on my Superlight, although slightly more forward in regards to the pedals/BB. Good thing. Also think the 31.6mm Giant setup makes the steering feel less harsh than the 35mm stock Norco stem/bar: less fatigue for hands and arms.

- happy with the current tire setup: Bontrager XR4 Team Issue front, stock NN in the back. More confident cornering and works well in wet-ish conditions.

- still playing around with the suspension setup. Have been riding with 30% sag, rebound speed somewhere in the middle of clicks. Noticed I prefer riding with the shock wide open in all conditions (climbing, descending): bike feels really supple and well tracking that way.

- I like long(ish) climbs, so just got a 28T for the RF crank: curious to see if it will allow be to spin a bit more than pushing the pedals.

Still really pleased by this bike, at least for my kind of riding (Pacific North west style trail).

Quote Originally Posted by pirati View Post

SC SuperLight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12