Norco Fluid FS1- Mtbr.com

Thread: Norco Fluid FS1

mtbr member
    May 2018

Norco Fluid FS1

Hey

I'm interested to hear some real world feedback on the FS1 as I'm currently looking to get one.

I tried out the FS3 in the shop and the size was perfect for me in medium (177cm tall).

I was curious as to know how the NX performs as i've never had experience with SRAM drivetrains

How does the guide T perform?

Also, I felt as though the rear shock blew through travel quite quickly and easily. Is this something that could be remedied with running slightly higher pressure or spacers?

I've read that it is a failry heavy bike, I was wondering if that weight is felt during the course of riding ie, jumps, cornering, drops and uphill climbs.

I'll be mainly doing trail riding with some jumps and drops but nothing hardcore and I figured this bike would perform well in the areas I'd like to ride and with an attractive price range as I'm not looking to spend so much.

Any feedback would be great! THANKS!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck29 View Post
    Hey

I'm interested to hear some real world feedback on the FS1 as I'm currently looking to get one.

I tried out the FS3 in the shop and the size was perfect for me in medium (177cm tall).

I was curious as to know how the NX performs as i've never had experience with SRAM drivetrains

How does the guide T perform?

Also, I felt as though the rear shock blew through travel quite quickly and easily. Is this something that could be remedied with running slightly higher pressure or spacers?

I've read that it is a failry heavy bike, I was wondering if that weight is felt during the course of riding ie, jumps, cornering, drops and uphill climbs.

I'll be mainly doing trail riding with some jumps and drops but nothing hardcore and I figured this bike would perform well in the areas I'd like to ride and with an attractive price range as I'm not looking to spend so much.

Any feedback would be great! THANKS!
    I actually just finished building my Fluid so no real world experience just yet. First ride for me will be tomorrow...

What I can tell you is that my medium 27.5 frame with a Super Deluxe weighed in at 7.81lbs so yea a little porky but not too bad. My experience with NX is that it's pretty reliable. Shifter does feel a little plasticky compared to the GX though and you get an 11t because it's a standard shimano freehub body as opposed to a 10t on an XD.

I've no experience with the Guide T but have ridden Guide R and Guide RS on multiple bikes and those felt pretty good. A lot more cushion in the modulation compared to Shimanos. I'd assume they probably feel pretty similar just without the lever reach adjuster.

Once again no real world experience just yet and even when I get on my bike it'll probably feel different than what a stock bike will be but I'm sure it'll be fine. The stock geometry looks really good and am glad Norco is putting out a bike like this at this price point!

My first ride on this bike is tomorrow. Will report back with feedback and probably with a video...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    I actually just finished building my Fluid so no real world experience just yet. First ride for me will be tomorrow...

What I can tell you is that my medium 27.5 frame with a Super Deluxe weighed in at 7.81lbs so yea a little porky but not too bad. My experience with NX is that it's pretty reliable. Shifter does feel a little plasticky compared to the GX though and you get an 11t because it's a standard shimano freehub body as opposed to a 10t on an XD.

I've no experience with the Guide T but have ridden Guide R and Guide RS on multiple bikes and those felt pretty good. A lot more cushion in the modulation compared to Shimanos. I'd assume they probably feel pretty similar just without the lever reach adjuster.

Once again no real world experience just yet and even when I get on my bike it'll probably feel different than what a stock bike will be but I'm sure it'll be fine. The stock geometry looks really good and am glad Norco is putting out a bike like this at this price point!

My first ride on this bike is tomorrow. Will report back with feedback and probably with a video...

Would be curious to know how your ride goes!

Yea i've tried the guide R and RS which I liked, I was told the new FS1 will be moving away from guide brake, so I'm thinking of waiting for the 2020 model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Love it... check out the recently purchased thread.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck29 View Post
    Would be curious to know how your ride goes!

Yea i've tried the guide R and RS which I liked, I was told the new FS1 will be moving away from guide brake, so I'm thinking of waiting for the 2020 model.
    Ride was pretty chill... Gonna have to run more vollume spacers in my super deluxe as it seems to be blowing through the travel when i'm running 30% sag. Wished I had a compression knob on this thing but oh well... A volume spacer or two should fix the problem. Gonna also run another volume spacer up front too... Over all though, bike is lively and flickable af! Super easy to throw around... Fun bike for sure!

mtbr member
    I have the guide R on my Sight. No complaints. Good power and they performed better than the Shimano m501 on the lower builds (mind you I'm pushing Clydesdale territory). T has the same calipers etc. You lose the toolless reach adjust and I think the levers might be a bit different. Basically they cut a few things to justify a lower price than the guide R brakes. Apparently much better than the level t brakes.

I rode full NX eagle for 2 days while renting a sight a2. Drivetrain was fine. I have a gx derailleur on my bike but I think with NX shifter. Feels the same (I think, not a very long comparison). I'd leave the NX derailleur and upgrade the shifter first down the line. 12 speed is nice to have (that 50t can come in useful). So far no issues, but only a couple hundred km in.

The fs1 seems like a good bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I bought an FS1 basically just for the frame (perfect geometry, threaded BB, excellent tire clearance, etc). I immediately replaced the wheels with some DT Swiss w/350 hubs and 2.3/2.4 Maxxis tires which made a very big difference in how it handled.

After 3 months of regular use, I have no complaints about the Guide T and NX drive train. The TranzX dropper has been flawless.

The part I like the least (other than the OEM wheels) is the Revelation fork. This is my first RockShox fork since a 2003 Judy TT and I'm just starting to get used to it.

Someone did some math and figures it can actually go to 130mm of travel:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/g...83/setup,38723

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by stm32disco View Post
    I bought an FS1 basically just for the frame (perfect geometry, threaded BB, excellent tire clearance, etc). I immediately replaced the wheels with some DT Swiss w/350 hubs and 2.3/2.4 Maxxis tires which made a very big difference in how it handled.

After 3 months of regular use, I have no complaints about the Guide T and NX drive train. The TranzX dropper has been flawless.

The part I like the least (other than the OEM wheels) is the Revelation fork. This is my first RockShox fork since a 2003 Judy TT and I'm just starting to get used to it.

Someone did some math and figures it can actually go to 130mm of travel:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/g...83/setup,38723
    Yup, I built mine from the frame up and just love the geometry. Running the bike with 2.35 tires have dropped the BB enough where I can actually run a 140mm fork without raising the BB too much. Still sits at 13.25" and HA sits at 65.5 with the reach at 434mm which is exactly what I was looking for as 440mm would've been a little long for me. I'm also running a 45mm stroke as opposed to the 42.5mm stroke which brings the travel to 127mm ish...

That build on that Vitalmtb link looks pretty sick! Here's mine on vital!
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/p...11/setup,39565