Norco Charger 4.1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Norco Charger 4.1

Hi Norco forum. I'm stoked to to see Norco offering some good options for kids in 24" wheel size and considering getting a Norco Charger 4.1 for my son. He's about ready to step up from 20". I am a bit concerned about the gearing with the lowest gear being 36 up front and 32 out the back. I want him to be able to last a decent length ride with me and thought that lower gears might help get through the last bit without too many dramas.

Currently he's riding a Giant Veer 20" with an internally geared 3 speed hub. He gets through a lap no problems but it's a fairly slow lap. I'm not sure what the lowest gearing is on it.

So, my question to you informed people is - Would I be able to change to a smaller chain ring on the front of the Charger 4.1 using the cranks that it comes with? My plan is to try him on the bike stock and if struggles with the ratios upgrade the drive train with new parts/parts from spares bin.

Thanks in advance, John.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    The 2015 Charger 24 uses a 42/34 front crankset and an 11/32 rear cassette. The 2016 Charger 4.1 uses a similar setup I believe but I didn't see what the small ring was up front. If it is indeed a 36 "granny" gear I wouldn't suggest it if you have to do much hill climbing. He'll hate it.

For this reason we went with a Storm 7.1 for our 9yr old. It has a 3spd crankset with a 22T granny gear and 36T cassette and even then he still has serious trouble with hills. We shortened the 170mm cranks to 152mm because he is so small but he still hates climbing such that we don't take him with us unless on relatively flat areas or bike parks. This bike is just as heavy (31lbs) as my XL Sight carbon though.

I just realized I probably didn't help you. :/ I would look at what type BB the bike uses and worst case you can buy a new crankset from a BMX site with whatever tooth count you feel you need. Personally I don't think any kids bike should come with anything higher than 24T for a granny gear (depending on crank length).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by F8L View Post
    The 2015 Charger 24 uses a 42/34 front crankset and an 11/32 rear cassette. The 2016 Charger 4.1 uses a similar setup I believe but I didn't see what the small ring was up front. If it is indeed a 36 "granny" gear I wouldn't suggest it if you have to do much hill climbing. He'll hate it.

For this reason we went with a Storm 7.1 for our 9yr old. It has a 3spd crankset with a 22T granny gear and 36T cassette and even then he still has serious trouble with hills. We shortened the 170mm cranks to 152mm because he is so small but he still hates climbing such that we don't take him with us unless on relatively flat areas or bike parks. This bike is just as heavy (31lbs) as my XL Sight carbon though.

I just realized I probably didn't help you. :/ I would look at what type BB the bike uses and worst case you can buy a new crankset from a BMX site with whatever tooth count you feel you need. Personally I don't think any kids bike should come with anything higher than 24T for a granny gear (depending on crank length).
    Thanks for the response. That is the sort of information i was after.

It comes with "Lasco 2pc aluminum MTB 155mm length w/36T and dual guard ". Re-reading that just now I am thinking I may be able to remove the guard from the inside and replace it with a granny. I guess I'll also be up for a new middle ring if I do that (and shifter and derailluer). A new crankset might be cheaper. I have been looking at the trailcraft double with bashring set. We have slightly limited Norco options in Australia.

If the BB is the same then you could probably pick up a used 2x or 3x crankset plus shifter for cheap and slap that on there.

It's kind of lame that you would need to modify a brand new bike for something so basic.

Have You used one of the online gearing calculators to estimate what effective gearing he would have with the 24" tires vs. your gearing and your larger (27.5"?) tires? Maybe I'm over thinking this and his front ring(s) are not so bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by F8L View Post
    Have You used one of the online gearing calculators to estimate what effective gearing he would have with the 24" tires vs. your gearing and your larger (27.5"?) tires? Maybe I'm over thinking this and his front ring(s) are not so bad.
    Yeah, you could be right. There isn't a huge amount if information out there on 24" bikes. The top end 24" bikes, Lil Shredder, Trailcraft, and the Norco Fluid 24 all have smaller chain rings.