No Raceface Cranks on New Norcos, Right?- Mtbr.com
    bike rider

No Raceface Cince Cranks on New Norcos, Right?

Had a guy come into the shop (Santa Cruz/Ibis dealer) wanting to drop weight off his carbon Sight. It has a low end Sram crank (but decent wheels) so one of the first things we recommended was a Next SL. We all have'em on our bikes and they come stock on the high end builds we sell. It's the go-to light crank around here. Fortunately just before placing the order I noticed the Norco frame uses a BB92 shell. I've never seen a Raceface BB for those and my only experience running a 30mm spindle in that shell was a Lightning crank in my Scott frame. It used a Lightning BB with two rows of VERY skinny bearings that didn't last long (despite doubling up on the bearings) so my advice was to stick with a 24mm Sram carbon crank even if a third party (like Lightning) makes a BB to match the Next SL to that frame. Anyone here run a 30mm crank in their Norco?

I really dig Norco's new carbon frames from a performance/dollar standpoint but that BB standard is a turnoff.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 02-08-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Keep the Country country.

bike rider
    Great info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Had a guy come into the shop (Santa Cruz/Ibis dealer) wanting to drop weight off his carbon Sight. It has a low end Sram crank (but decent wheels) so one of the first things we recommended was a Next SL. We all have'em on our bikes and they come stock on the high end builds we sell. It's the go-to light crank around here. Fortunately just before placing the order I noticed the Norco frame uses a BB92 shell. I've never seen a Raceface BB for those and my only experience running a 30mm spindle in that shell was a Lightning crank in my Scott frame. It used a Lightning BB with two rows of VERY skinny bearings that didn't last long (despite doubling up on the bearings) so my advice was to stick with a 24mm Sram carbon crank even if a third party (like Lightning) makes a BB to match the Next SL to that frame. Anyone here run a 30mm crank in their Norco?

I really dig Norco's new carbon frames from a performance/dollar standpoint but that BB standard is a turnoff.
    Simply use RaceFace PF92 Cinch bottom bracket. Problem solved.

bike rider
    ^Does it hold up or does it use tiny bearings that develope play quickly? Suspecting the later we talked the customer into getting Sram XX1 cranks instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^Does it hold up or does it use tiny bearings that develope play quickly? Suspecting the later we talked the customer into getting Sram XX1 cranks instead.
    500+ miles on RF bottom bracket, still spins as well as on the day one.

If you want to go ceramic bearings, I'd suggest Wheels Mfg caps:
    BB86 To 30MM Ceramic Hybrid Sealed Bearing

These are the same brackets that are used on many high-end bikes. Not sure why would you even suggest to the customer that they're unreliable.

bike rider
    Because my experience (and others) with 30mm spindles in BB92 shells was that the tiny bearing wore out prematurely. Did you read the first two posts?

P.S. 500mi is "breaking in". Our customers want their BB to last at least two years. They complain when parts wear out in a summer and I agree. The only BB I've ever worn out was the Lightning 30mm spindle in a BB92 shell one. Bearings lasted a few months compared to years with every other one I've had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Because my experience (and others) with 30mm spindles in BB92 shells was that the tiny bearing wore out prematurely. Did you read the first two posts?

P.S. 500mi is "breaking in". Our customers want their BB to last at least two years. They complain when parts wear out in a summer and I agree. The only BB I've ever worn out was the Lightning 30mm spindle in a BB92 shell one. Bearings lasted a few months compared to years with every other one I've had.
    What is your question?

You come here for an advice, when you receive one, you don't like it.

I guess it's your business and your customers, not sure why you even ask if you have your opinion already.
    Last edited by dreys; 06-26-2016 at 09:01 PM.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dreys View Post
    What is your question?
    It was the second to last line of the original post: "Anyone here run a Raceface crank in their Norco?"

You come here for an advice, when you receive an one, you don't like it.
    I don't know what would give you that idea. I got an answer in the first replay and replied back, "Great info."

You then said to use the same bottom bracket the first replier had shown to me. Had you read his post? He and I both share a concern over durability of that bottom bracket so I asked if the Racfeface has tiny bearings and how it holds up. You told me it holds up for 500mi which is useful information but not enough to recommend a product cuz it needs to last 10 times that long.

Then you said such a configuration is used on many high end bikes. I haven't seen it much besides my own bike and the Norco shown in the first reply. Every BB92/86 bike I've seen had a Shimano or Sram 24mm crank.

Then you questioned why I would suggest they are unreliable. Had you read my original post? Did you read the second to last line of the first reply? That's why. Until I see or hear some evidence that this design has reasonable durability I'll continue to be skeptical of it and tell my customers so due to past experience. However, hearing that Raceface makes such a bottom bracket is encouraging since I'd expect them to have higher durability standards than boutique companies. That's why I appreciated the info from the first replier and your 500mi experience.

I guess it's your business and your customers, not sure why you even ask if you have your opinion already.
    Again, the question asked had nothing to do with an opinion. It was "does this exist and if so does it work?"
    I asked so I'd know more the next time someone asks me if they can put that crank in this frame.
    One of the nice things about working at a small shop in a small town is that we know our customers. This guy wanted a lighter crankset than his low end Sram but I know him. He's not the kind of guy who wants to risk frequently having us replace a worn BB to save the 50-100 grams over a cheaper Sram XX crank that uses his existing BB. He also wanted it ordered right then and we weren't aware of the Raceface Cinch BB92 (we rarely see BB92 frames). However, I was curious to learn more about this combo so I asked on a Norco forum if anyone had tried it and how it was working.

Please post again at the end of the season and let us know how your BB is holding up. There are probably Norco owners on here who'd like to use a Next SL or SixC but are skeptical of the tiny bearings.

@njcshreds
    The Torrent and Range come with a Raceface crank. I know that's nothing shocking or secret, but it's all I got.

We are a Norco dealer, but sadly where my shop is I mostly sell Indies and Yorkvilles. We don't have a ton of their mtb's in the store.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member

Isnt 30mm mean the diameter of the bottom bracket hole?.... Norco doesnt use 30mm BB. I've replaced my cheap lower line sram crank with a shimano Slx crank. And also replace the sram/truvative Pressfit bb with Shimano xt.

mtbr member
    The race face bb is weak. Bearings are housed inside aluminum cups before being pressed in thus reducing size of actual bearing.
    Hope ,Enduro have bearings avail that are full bearing being pressed into frame. They are also wider so supposedly stronger. No proof if they actually last longer in real world test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would check to see if race face is compatible with shimano pf bb. I never had a problem with shimano.

mtbr member

No Raceface Cranks on New Norcos, Right?

Quote Originally Posted by gocat View Post
    I would check to see if race face is compatible with shimano pf bb. I never had a problem with shimano.
    This thread is about using race face next sl cranks which are 30mm spindle so no it won't work w Shimano bb.

mtbr member
    http://www.bbinfinite.com/blogs/news...7-30mm-madness

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    The race face bb is weak. Bearings are housed inside aluminum cups before being pressed in thus reducing size of actual bearing.
    Hope ,Enduro have bearings avail that are full bearing being pressed into frame. They are also wider so supposedly stronger. No proof if they actually last longer in real world test

Interesting. I might be on a frame with BB92 next year that I want to use Next SL cranks on so I'll look into those BBs. Bigger bearings almost always work better.

mtbr member
    I am going to use a Race face SL on my http://forums.mtbr.com/norco/norco-r...d-1033902.html. You have at least a couple of options: the Race Face BB92, or the wheels manufacturing BB86 to 30MM Flanged, Dual Row PressFit 86/92 ABEC-3 Bottom Bracket. If I were you I would stay away from ceramic: it saves at most 5 grams and is likely more fragile.

bike rider
    It's supposed to be harder and corrosion resistant..... expensive though

mtbr member
    It's supposed to be harder and corrosion resistant..... expensive though
    They are hybrid ceramic meaning cages are still steel so can still corrode.