Largest tyre on Sight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Largest tyre on Sight

Hi. Have a 2014 Sight with the stock 2.2 Ardents. Wanting something with more volume. Who runs what and how big? 2.4 out the back OK for clearance? Ta in advance.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    I swapped the stock Ardent 2.25 out for a Trail Boss 2.25 and it was on of the best changes I made. Much more traction and more volume without a noticeable increase in rolling resistance. I have a 2.4" waiting on the shelf which I planned on running in the rear but I think I'll use it on the front this summer. The 2.25 works well enough I don't feel like I need more. Except in muddy conditions. It's not a good tire for that.

So while I have not actually mounted the 2.4 on the rear yet, visually it looks like it will clear easily. The Vigilante 2.3 has plenty of room to spare. If you look up the bead to bead charts, the Trail Boss 2.4 is one of the largest normal tires and second only to the Goma. The 2.25 version is similar in size to the Vigilante visually. My point is, even with a high volume tire, you should have plenty of room on the Sight.

This is on my 2015 Sight c7.4.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for that. Saves me buying tyres I can't use, but obviously not an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've run Maxxis HR2 2.4 and Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35, bot frt/rr. When i had my Easton ARC 30 "wide" wheels built up I asked the shop to try some b+ size they had in stock - tried some 2.8 wtb - fit in the standard width Pike up front, but a no go in the rear triangle. The MM 2.35 is a pretty high volume and wide tire compared to the maxxis measured widths - bigger than HR2 2.4 and DHR2 2.3 (by a good bit)...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    So what's the biggest that'll fit in the rear of a Alu 2015 Sight on wide (i.e. 35mm inner) rims? I don't really care about mud clearance - I live in the dry tropics where it's either dusty dry and good to ride or bucketing down and the trails are closed. Will a high volume 2.5 fit in there ok?

mtbr member
    You could fit a high volume 2.4. I easily clear E13 tires and they are big 2.35"s.

Erik

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    FYI I have a 2.6 tyre on the way to try in the back, on a 27mm inner width rim. I'll report back on my success/failure, however I think it will be close enough such that tread style/depth plays a big role (i.e. aggressive tyres won't work).

I've also found that the differing design of the chainstays is such that it appears to have slightly less clearance on the driveside, or at least it does on my frame - I can correct for it a bit by dishing the rim over ever so slightly, as there is plenty of clearance at the seatstays. Additionally I don't ride in mud so don't have to worry about that, only the more aggressive tyres picking up rocks.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking that might be too big. I'm fine with a 2.35 E13 TRS on a 30mm rim but can't see going bigger. Have room but when it gets muddy it is not as much clearance as I would like.

Erik

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What does that tyre actually measure in at? I'm led to believe they're a big 2.35.

Yeah I realise that I'm pushing my luck, however then I'll just use it up front. I tested a Magic Mary on a 29mm rim back there and it's a big 2.35, measures in at 2.44, and there was some spare room - not much, but if the tyre isn't a true 2.6 then there is a chance. And it's the side knobs that are closest, so one with less aggressive knobs on a skinner rim should give a rounder shape.

If at least a true 2.5" fits then I can see me hanging onto this bike for at least a couple more years as I have it riding really well, far beyond my capabilities. Started life as a 2015 A7.2 and I think the only original parts are the frame, headset, and parts of the drivetrain.

mtbr member
    It's 2.4 on the ft on 30mm rims

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have a NN 2.6 on a 25mm inner width rim on the rear at the very moment. With the rear wheel dished "correctly" (centered in the seat stays) it rubs on the drive side chain stay, however there is a fair bit of a gap on the non-drive side so will actually fit OK if I dish it over.

I should find time tonight to do that and take some pictures.

I'm actually waiting on a Rocket Ron to put back there, however I expect this Nobby Nic will be similar in size.
    Last edited by phreeky; 01-16-2017 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Pic as promised, with the wheel dished 2mm off-centre towards the non drive-side. That circled area is the area of least clearance, approx 5mm at zero suspension travel.

Chainstay clearance improves rapidly with suspension travel - you could probably improve things a tiny bit if you were desperate with some rear shock offset bushings (at the expense of BB height), however seatstay clearance (~10mm) is static.

Largest tyre on Sight-20170116_200759_crop.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Rocket Ron 2.6 comes up smaller than the Nobby Nic, so it's good to go. This should be fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I got my first ride in with the Rocket Ron 2.6 out back and it was an absolute blast. It was just wide enough to give a slight fatbike feeling where you get away with being sloppy with your lines and it soaks the little rocks/roots up, yet it weights less than what I was running before (DHR2 2.3) so doesn't make the bike heavy at all. It had that sound of a fatbike tyre too (anyone who has ridden one will know - you can hear the grip).

I won't deny that I'm a tiny bit concerned about the durability in the rougher stuff - I'm yet to hit my local rough rock-gardens.

Oh and I'm still not 100% sure whether there was any rubbing on the chainstays. I did have some tape on the inside and there were very faint lines on it, however so faint that they may have been from just the "hairs" on the new tyres. I pulled the tape off and will put something more durable on just in case.

Maybe this shouldn't be surprising given the amount of rubber, but braking performance seemed to be beyond the DHR2 2.3 EXO Dual by quite a bit - I grabbed the rear brakes a couple of times to help flick the rear around and it was a complete failure - it just gripped!

I was running 25psi in the rear and let the rear slam into some square edges progressively harder to test pressures and had no signs of rim strikes. This is probably a good pressure to stick with as much lower and the tyre will probably start to roll over more than I like and maybe even worsen the chance of chainstay rub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Any updates phreeky? I put a Specialzied Grid 2.6 Purgatory on the rear to see if it would fit in my 2016 Sight Carbon on Flow MkIII rims. Seems to fit, but I think the dish trick like you did is called for. Leaving it on for a while to see if it stretches.

Bought the Purgatory to ultimately go on the front. Would like to put a 2.6 Slaughter on the rear, but the aggressive side knobs may be a no go... May have to settle for my regular 2.35 Slaughter in the rear or maybe try a 2.6 Ground Control...

-Nate

Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    I got my first ride in with the Rocket Ron 2.6 out back and it was an absolute blast. It was just wide enough to give a slight fatbike feeling where you get away with being sloppy with your lines and it soaks the little rocks/roots up, yet it weights less than what I was running before (DHR2 2.3) so doesn't make the bike heavy at all. It had that sound of a fatbike tyre too (anyone who has ridden one will know - you can hear the grip).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yeah I've had a bunch of rides on them, with no wash outs or punctures to date. I'm not sure the Sight carbon has better or worse (or identical) clearance to my alloy, however the Rocket Ron hasn't rubbed at all despite trying a range of tyre pressures and hitting some drops and hard off-camber corners.

I'd recommend considering something with smaller knobs for the rear, as I'm convinced that with the extra tyre width (and more knobs) you can get away with them being smaller. That will probably depend on your trails though.

I'd love to hear how those tyres have measured up for you, both at the casing and tread. Do you have calipers handy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    Yeah I've had a bunch of rides on them, with no wash outs or punctures to date. I'm not sure the Sight carbon has better or worse (or identical) clearance to my alloy, however the Rocket Ron hasn't rubbed at all despite trying a range of tyre pressures and hitting some drops and hard off-camber corners.

I'd recommend considering something with smaller knobs for the rear, as I'm convinced that with the extra tyre width (and more knobs) you can get away with them being smaller. That will probably depend on your trails though.

I'd love to hear how those tyres have measured up for you, both at the casing and tread. Do you have calipers handy?
    Yeah, I have the digital sort of calipers that need batteries, heh.

Going to let the tire sit tubeless for a while and see what it stretches to. I'll get some numbers once it all shakes down.

Probably just stick with the slaughter 2.3 in the back but I do want to see if the wider would work...

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Found a battery. Here is the situation:

Specialized Purgatory 2.6 on Flow Mk III (29mm inner)

Casing: 62.5 mm (2.46 in)

Tread: 60.5 mm (2.38 in)

Now, this has been tubeless for only about 24 hours. Will measure again to see what the stretch is.

Did I measure correctly? Casing was widest sidewall bulge, tread was widest knob to widest knob.

-Nate

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That sounds about right. I found the Schwalbe 2.6 to change size quite a bit with pressure, and when giving them 30psi they start to get really close to a true 2.6" except nobody is going to ride them at that pressure.

FYI those numbers are only very slightly smaller than my Nobby Nic 2.6 at 20psi (also on a Flow Mk3).

mtbr member
    Hello, I have the 2015 7.1 carbon frame.

On a perfectly dished rimset, the drive side chainstay is a bit tighter.
    I guess offsetting the dish will allow some room, but will affect the spoke tension. oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I now have the NN 2.6 on the rear of my Sight (was prev on the front). It's on a narrower rim now, 25mm IW, however the tread is measuring wider at somewhere between 63mm and 64mm (on the 29mm rim it was widest at the casing, now it's at the tread).

The reason is that I had a couple of washouts with the Nobby Nic up front as it was drying out here (dry/loose conditions), so I have the Magic Mary on the front again (which itself, on the Flow Mk3, measures at almost 61mm - good for a "2.35" tyre).