How to optimise climbing on Norco Sight 7.2C- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

How to optimise climbing on Norco Sight 7.2C

I'm on a 2016 XL Norco Sight 7.2C with Pike and DBinline, 20% sag on fork, 15mm sag on shock. I've gone 2mm less sag than recommended for the shock to try and improve climbing. I've also got a little more LSC than the stock Sight tune on the DBinline to assist in climbing.

However, I'm finding the bike to be a pretty slow climber. I really struggle to generate forward momentum when climbing. Any time I put the power down the rear packs down. Even when I use the 'climb' mode it still feels slow, lacking forward momentum.

My previous bikes were a 2014 Trance and Pivot Mach 5.7. Both of these bikes were much better climbers, and other than the benefits of the Pike, just as good descenders as the Sight.

Is this an issue with Horst link vs Virtual pivot linkages as on my previous bikes? Has anyone successfully tuned their DBinline to improve the climbing ability of their Sight?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not sure about your stock tires, but my 7.1c came with Nobby Nic and Magic Mary. I literally had to pedal down mellow grades that I should have been coasting down. Switched to High roller, ardent combo and significant difference up and down. Now climbs as well as anything I have owned: SB5, Mach 6. Saving the Schwalbe for bike park or rugged downhill focused rides. Playing with suspension, liked stock settings, but trying 14mm sag and half turn less HSR now. Hope it works out for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Not sure about your stock tires, but my 7.1c came with Nobby Nic and Magic Mary. I literally had to pedal down mellow grades that I should have been coasting down. Switched to High roller, ardent combo and significant difference up and down. Now climbs as well as anything I have owned: SB5, Mach 6. Saving the Schwalbe for bike park or rugged downhill focused rides. Playing with suspension, liked stock settings, but trying 14mm sag and half turn less HSR now. Hope it works out for you.
    Thanks for the comments Wilbur. At 15mm sag I already notice reduced small bump compliance, not keen to go even less sag. I found the same as you with the stock tyres, sold the Magic Mary, put the nobby on the front and a spesh purgatory rear. Also went tubeless to lose another 100g per wheel. This definitely helped the wheels spin up and hold momentum on fast terrain but didn't do a lot for slow climbing. My shock and fork both went in for warranty issues after only 4 rides, seems to be performing fine now but the climbing issues persist.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have the Range which is the same suspension system as the Sight and have the DBAir shock on it. If you run the sag at anything close to factory recommendations it sucks the life out of you on climbs. Cane Creek says 19mm sag for my bike on their setup guide, I have it at about 13mm and it's a huge difference, the bike flies uphill compared to before. Reduce the sag some more and take out a few clicks of the low speed compression to keep it plush, you might have to add air to the fork as well to keep it balanced.

The small bump compliance isn't as good as the stock setup, but to be honest I absolutely hated the way the recommended settings felt. Yes it was super plush and soaked up every little bump, but it was sluggish, bottomed out too easily, pedaled like crap, and when I was doing timed runs on downhills it was far slower than my current setup.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Can you elaborate a bit on your shock issue? Turn around time? All good now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    After a few rides the shock started making "squelching" noises like air/oil mixing. This had a negative effect on small bump sensitivity and made it ride harshly. I'm in Australia and there is only one suspension mechanic in the country approved for CC warranty work and are located out of state. TAT was around 3 weeks. The shock came back very clean and operating much smoother though the service mechanic didn't provide any detail on what work was completed (other than "clean and regreased").

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Okay, guess I'll send mine in, exact sound and feel is happening. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hmm. I get that sound too, but only after my bike has sat a day or too. And then only after the first compression. Then it goes away and seems to work fine. Seems like that's different than what you guys are experiencing.

I'll also agree that running less sag than recommended has improved climbing for me but without any negative impact on small bump compliance.

I tore through the Hans Dampf on the rear within a few months and am now running a WTB Vigilante. It's an aggressive tire, but rolls well enough for me.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    My Sight had the Monarch shock and at 35% sag it climbed well. I ran WTB Trail Boss tires on the rear and I ditched the super heavy Inferno 25 wheels. Lightening the bike definitely helped but tires can make a huge difference as you know.

My point is the problem is very likely the shock and not the suspension design. I hope you get it figured out before you decide to ditch the CC.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sound doesn't go away, and feel a "notch" a quarter of the way thru the travel. Doesn't feel terrible when riding, but since it's winter I'm getting it repaired.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    My Sight had the Monarch shock and at 35% sag it climbed well. I ran WTB Trail Boss tires on the rear and I ditched the super heavy Inferno 25 wheels. Lightening the bike definitely helped but tires can make a huge difference as you know.

My point is the problem is very likely the shock and not the suspension design. I hope you get it figured out before you decide to ditch the CC.
    Hmm very interesting. I actually have Monarch RL lying around, will try it out to see how it compares to the db in line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think "slow climber" is always a relative thing - and many dependencies have been discussed. Is the Sight a race whippet? No - so its not going to snap forward like one. Is it an enduro? No - but certainly can punch above its weight class and out pedal a fair many of the "enduro" bikes out there. I find the Sight is a pretty darn efficient climber and a superb technical climber.

My personal experience - i've run the RL, RT3 Debonair and now CC Inline... not sure where the issue might be as within a couple % points of recommended sag - I've never had any issues climbing the sight - 90% single track w rocks and other tech - its an active sus that doesn't hang when you don't want it to - and you can tractor anything provided legs/lungs don't fail - I rarely if ever use the climb switch on the CC altho it seems to be the best CS tech available... now - I aint racing anybody but myself or my buddies and racing is a stretch - but we do get up, down and over most everything we ride in CO, WY and UT. I think the Inline gives you the best platform for tune it for what you want - and improve efficiency via the Climb Switch. There have been plenty of reported issues with early build inlines, mine inc - but CC service was great - shock replaced and has since taken a lot of use/abuse.

BTW - the RockShox are decent shocks, and if you want to find a set/forget platform setting w a simple climb/lockout (like the RL) it works. See previous comments about inline and recognize as well that you will have to "fiddle" with it. Also - don't hesitate to email CC service as I did - told them what I was looking to get out of the ride quality and they provided some excellent advice that fast tracked the regression testing (I'm not that smart really - just thought it would sound impressive)

The good news w the Inline - is you can truly fine tune the characteristics you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    I think "slow climber" is always a relative thing - and many dependencies have been discussed. Is the Sight a race whippet? No - so its not going to snap forward like one. Is it an enduro? No - but certainly can punch above its weight class and out pedal a fair many of the "enduro" bikes out there. I find the Sight is a pretty darn efficient climber and a superb technical climber.

My personal experience - i've run the RL, RT3 Debonair and now CC Inline... not sure where the issue might be as within a couple % points of recommended sag - I've never had any issues climbing the sight - 90% single track w rocks and other tech - its an active sus that doesn't hang when you don't want it to - and you can tractor anything provided legs/lungs don't fail - I rarely if ever use the climb switch on the CC altho it seems to be the best CS tech available... now - I aint racing anybody but myself or my buddies and racing is a stretch - but we do get up, down and over most everything we ride in CO, WY and UT. I think the Inline gives you the best platform for tune it for what you want - and improve efficiency via the Climb Switch. There have been plenty of reported issues with early build inlines, mine inc - but CC service was great - shock replaced and has since taken a lot of use/abuse.

BTW - the RockShox are decent shocks, and if you want to find a set/forget platform setting w a simple climb/lockout (like the RL) it works. See previous comments about inline and recognize as well that you will have to "fiddle" with it. Also - don't hesitate to email CC service as I did - told them what I was looking to get out of the ride quality and they provided some excellent advice that fast tracked the regression testing (I'm not that smart really - just thought it would sound impressive)

The good news w the Inline - is you can truly fine tune the characteristics you are looking for.
    I appreciate your comments, agree the Sight it never going to be an XC whippet up a hill. I don't struggle to get up anything, it does tractor over anything. I guess in that sense it climbs well, but it takes a hellava lot more grunt leg effort than either of my previous bikes, Giant Trance and Pivot Mach 5.7. These are both bikes targeted at the same niche as the Sight, descend equally well but respond much more positively to grunt effort on climbs. I really liked the Monarch on my Trance, much better than the stock Fox shock, will see how it goes on the Sight (conveniently the same eye to eye and stroke lengths). Otherwise, contacting CC service sounds like a great idea to get the most out of the dbinline.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post

I'll piggyback on Justin's comments and say that I've run the sight at 25%-35% sag, and could not sense much to any difference in pedaling in that range - it was very good pedaling.

I do notice body movement will activate shock, but pure pedaling does not.

I'm running the Monarch RL (M/L tune) and added the Debonair air can to make the spring curve more linear and supple off the top. It's a very good shock.

A couple of things to check out:

- A smaller front ring will significantly increase the anti-squat of the frame (this is true for almost all frames) On the Sight a 22 front ring will have anit-squat similar to DW link bike (really high) I run a 30t, FWIW.

- Setting your seated body position to it's most efficient position will help a lot. The more upright you sit, the less the bike is going to spring forward. I just added a different dropper post with a set back and that one inch of set back took me way outside my efficient position (for me). The set back post also put more leverage on the back of the bike on steep climbs making rear sag more and the steep climbs much harder. I need to change my position.

And like others have said, tires make a significant difference.

P

I dig trails!
    One more bit of info; according to linkagedesign.com the Sight has higher anti-squat than than both a Trance and a Mach 5.7:

Norco Sight Carbon 2014 - Linkage Design

Giant Trance 650B 2014 - Linkage Design

Pivot Match 5.7 2011 - Linkage Design

P