Help me choose a new bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Help me choose a new bike

So I purchased a Giant Talon 27.5 1 (2014) in the Spring... great bike, lots of fun... and then it was stolen.

So now the search begins for a new bike... I find I ride on varied trail 70% of the time and road 30% of the time; for that the hard tail was great. I am more or a cross country trail rider as opposed to super steep up hill, followed by super steep, rough and rugged downhill. though I did take my Talon on some fairly interesting black diamond descents...

Now I'm looking to get maybe something a step up or comparable... or perhaps consider a dual suspension, though I hear those are not good for riding paved roads at all.

Options to consider...

Get a Norco Charger
    Get a Norco Torrent
    Get a Norco Fluid

Comments on each bike for my style of riding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    So I purchased a Giant Talon 27.5 1 (2014) in the Spring... great bike, lots of fun... and then it was stolen.

So now the search begins for a new bike... I find I ride on varied trail 70% of the time and road 30% of the time; for that the hard tail was great. I am more or a cross country trail rider as opposed to super steep up hill, followed by super steep, rough and rugged downhill. though I did take my Talon on some fairly interesting black diamond descents...

Now I'm looking to get maybe something a step up or comparable... or perhaps consider a dual suspension, though I hear those are not good for riding paved roads at all.

Options to consider...

Get a Norco Charger
    Get a Norco Torrent
    Get a Norco Fluid

Comments on each bike for my style of riding?
    See if you can get a 2015 X01 Revolver on closeout

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Budget is a bit of a limit so I doubt I'd be able to afford one of those...

Also, how well would the new torrent handle pavement travel with those big tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 7.2 Torrent 27.5+ has a great setup for $1450. Great well worked out geo. Much more versatile than many bikes for a broad range of terrain.
    You can up tire pressure for road riding but ultimately another set of wheels/tires is your best bet. 29s with more road oriented tires.
    Things are a little tough right now until more 148/110 hubs come out.

Help me choose a new bike-norco.png

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thank,

So he torrent would be more effective for the trail, but likely not as good for the road as my Talon 27.5... without different tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank,

So he torrent would be more effective for the trail, but likely not as good for the road as my Talon 27.5... without different tires?
    It will be as good as a Talon. Actually better because the 27.5+ are 29s in diameter.
    The tires are too expensive to waste on road riding, imo.
    German sites like Hibike sell Schwalbe tires at good prices.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    It will be as good as a Talon. Actually better because the 27.5+ are 29s in diameter.
    The tires are too expensive to waste on road riding, imo.
    German sites like Hibike sell Schwalbe tires at good prices.
    I a strongly consider the new torrent then as a replacement to my lost Talon... It would handle some downhill ok?

Also saw a 2014 XTC 27.5 1 for $1500 Canadian... How would that be as an option?

mtbr member
    I would recommend the Charger if you plan on using it on road. If you're using it on technical trails the you should consider the fluid. I just bought the Norco Charger 9.2 and I had a FS before and I don't miss the rear shock that much.
    Visit my Photography WEBSITE
    Like me on FACEBOOK

Captain One Lung Administrator
    I agree with Daniel. The Charger is your best bet. The Fluid is not a road bike and it is quite heavy at 31lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Can someone also tell me how the Charger 7.1 would compare with a Torrent 7.2 for what I want to do in terms of advanced trails, xc, paths and roads?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No Torrents are out yet. So you have to look at similar bikes. It's based on past 'North Shore' hardtails aimed at aggressive riding in rough terrain.
    Of the two bikes it should handle advanced trail the best. I'd prefer it for XC and would use it on the road with different tires. The Charger would be a little better on the road just because of the cheaper skinnier rims and tires.

The Torrent has shorter chainstays than a Scott Scale Plus for quicker more playful handling in rough terrain. 422-427 vs 439mm.
    Tested: Scott Genius Plus & Scott Scale Plus ? Flow Mountain Bike
    The info from this review of the Scott Scale will show you what you would be getting. Just better and at a lower price.
    "With all the stability and traction you could ever wish for in a package that ride and handles a lot more like a regular bike itíll let both newcomers and more experienced riders do more. You can go faster and in more control, climb steeper sections, and negotiate steeper descents."
    Last edited by eb1888; 10-09-2015 at 03:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Fluid is heavier than a sight? Isn't it suppose to be better for XC and climbing?

Captain One Lung Administrator
    The Fluid is heavier than a sight? Isn't it suppose to be better for XC and climbing?
    Depends on the model in question but in general, yes the Fluid is heavier than the Sight.

My GF's Fluid 7.1 was a few ounces heavier than my Sight C7.4. The lower model aluminum Sight may be a pound or so heavier than the Fluid. The Fluid is not a lightweight bike but a lot of the extra weight on both bikes is carried in the wheels which are well over 2,100g. The handlebars (both bikes) and the seats (Sight) are also quite heavy at over 300g. So simple upgrades can get those bikes below 30lbs no problem.