Creaky internal headsets in the new carbonz- Mtbr.com
    Now with flavor!!

Creaky internal headsets in the new carbonz

I (finally) found a 2014 plastic range and have been loving riding it. I can't keep the headset tight/creak free though. I even punched out the star nut I had in my fork and stuck a headlock in there. But every time I hit something hard head on, or roll through a compression it 'resets' to the other side fore/aft. This is the stock headset that came with a 2014 Range carbon 7.2, the FSA thing.

Anybody else find a fix (including another brand)?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Interesting - I have the same plastic frame model - and after about the 1st month - it got really creaky. Went to shop and they cleaned it up and than relubed the fork steerer and reset everything - not a noise since. I am running a pike with stock headset

Now with flavor!!
    You actually lubed the steerer? Hmm......haven't tried that one yet. I've greased up the outsides of the bearings themselves but it's still creaking. I'll give that a go as well as the headset spacers.

Thanks!
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    HA - well - I didnt - but shop lubed all the way around steerer - but only about as far as it inserts into headset - and not all the way to where the stem mounts for obvious reasons I guess! This was months back - bike has been ridden hard and cleaned numerous times - not a sound from front

Now with flavor!!
    I found a cane creek IS bearing and race and threw it in last night. It's definitely better. I think I put so much grease on the bearings I ended up with the same result as specifically greasing the steerer too.

The top stock bearing seats a lot better than the bottom. We'll see how it goes today.

This IS headset thing on carbon frames is silly. Santa cruz has this figured out, just using regular headsets. Lets you screw around with angled headsets too.