Build and review: 2018 Revolver FS xx1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Build and review: 2018 Revolver FS xx1

Iím newer to Norco and when I was researching the bikes I had a hard time finding reviews of the Revolver (FS and HT).

After a long time on other brands I made the switch to Norco a few months ago. I already have a few hundred miles on my training bike, a 2018 Revolver FS2. So far itís been great with zero issues.

I never could find good information on Norcoís top end Revolver so I decided to do my own review and document the build and my thoughts as I get my Revolver ready to race in 2018.

So far Iíve unboxed the frame and weighed it with the shock, rear brake caliper/hose, rear shifter cable, and seat post collar.

Hopefully I can start to build the bike this weekend.

More to come....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I applied clear automotive film to the vulnerable areas on the frame and fork. So now I can start building this thing!

I primarily race marathon distance and I have grown fond of remote lockouts. I wish Rockshox made the Monarch with a cable remote lockout because I donít trust their hydraulic lockouts.
    So I had fox do a custom 3 position remote shock for the reliability factor.
    The stock bar and stem are more ďEnduroĒ than I am. I decided to go with a 70mm Thompson stem with a -10 drop. Iím happy with everything Raceface makes; I went with their flat bar.
    Seat post is also a Thompson and of course I cannot ride without my ESI grips.

mtbr member

Build and review: 2018 Revolver FS xx1

Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post

I applied clear automotive film to the vulnerable areas on the frame and fork. So now I can start building this thing!

I primarily race marathon distance and I have grown fond of remote lockouts. I wish Rockshox made the Monarch with a cable remote lockout because I donít trust their hydraulic lockouts.
    So I had fox do a custom 3 position remote shock for the reliability factor.
    The stock bar and stem are more ďEnduroĒ than I am. I decided to go with a 70mm Thompson stem with a -10 drop. Iím happy with everything Raceface makes; I went with their flat bar.
    Seat post is also a Thompson and of course I cannot ride without my ESI grips.

Shock and remote have been fitted. There is just enough clearance for the remote cable inside the top tube. When I first looked at it I was a little worried that it wouldnít work but itís perfect.
    I also pressed on the B.B. and added the seat post.

mtbr member
    Subscribed!

mtbr member

I decided on the Scott Twinloc remote to control both the front and rear suspension with one remote.
    Scott makes an adapter to use a RS fork and Fox shock (itís red instead of blue).

The shock, fork, stem and handle bar are all good to go

We have rain in the forecast tomorrow so I should be able to get most of the bike built tomorrow.

mtbr member
    This is going to be a good one. What tune did you get on the shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    This is going to be a good one. What tune did you get on the shock?
    Fox was great; I told them I wanted something aggressive for racing and they set it up.

mtbr member

I found an under the bar remote and decided to use this one since it just looks so much better.

Crank and power meter installed

Derailure and chain installed and adjusted on the stand.

Norco left no stone unturned on the build; DT Swiss 240ís and XCM 1200 Carbon wheels

***my only complaint is somewhat menial but if bothers me that Norco uses a crazy tall upper cap on head set. I love the small head tube length on the Revolver but the cap adds like 20mm so it defeats the purpose. I ordered a lower profile CaneCreek Carbon cap.***

mtbr member

A before and after of the head set top cap on my training bike. It handles way better with the low profile cap and the bars down lower.

mtbr member

I trimmed the brake hose and shifter cable.
    The bike is just about done except for a few fitting it and adjustments.

I havenít converted the wheels to tubeless yet so the weight includes tubes but no pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I can't wait to see this thing in person! Awesome build. The DT hubs are a beautiful piece of equipment.

mtbr member

done!

Itís ready to race. Iím waiting on some Topeak bottle cages but for the most part itís fitted and adjusted for me.

We got a decent amount of rain last night so I will have to test ride it later next week. I did get to ride it around my neighborhood and Iím so glad I added the rear remote lockout; it just fits my riding style.

Of course it feels FAST and efficient! perfect for marathon style racing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for taking the plunge. My friend just picked up a team bike from last season. It's amazing looking. I'm itching to hear more as we are in winter mode up here and we won't be riding for at least 3 months.

NedwannaB

done!

Itís ready to race. Iím waiting on some Topeak bottle cages but for the most part itís fitted and adjusted for me.

We got a decent amount of rain last night so I will have to test ride it later next week. I did get to ride it around my neighborhood and Iím so glad I added the rear remote lockout; it just fits my riding style.

Of course it feels FAST and efficient! perfect for marathon style racing.

Nice build! Was good to see it as it progressed!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, thanks for taking the effort for this. I look forward to hearing more about the ride, handling, pedaling.

Even though I am on a 140mm/140mm efficient trail bike right now (Kona Hei Hei trail),
    I can't get this bike out of my head (27.5 version though).

To me it has some features that really blur it being a pure XC racer and has potential for that true one-bike quiver. I am intrigued by the steep seat tube, tuned sizing of the chainstay length, and the suspension design as discussed here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLA8mEGvHQ)

With a dropper post, beefier front tire, and 120mm fork it would be pretty versatile.

mtbr member
    On paper the Revolver has a steeper head angle than a few other bikes I recently raced/ridden. After several steep drops I felt the Revolver descends almost like an all Mountain Bike but still handles the tight and twisty east coast single track we have here. The increased BB height over my last bike is also very welcomed. I felt like I was hitting every rock and root on the trail but the Revolver BB is 10mm higher.

I put some gravel race tires on it and got 3 hours on the bike last week and it was just about perfect.
    It got stupid cold here but the weather is breaking today so tomorrow I plan on putting the chunky wheels/Tires I have and getting into the mountains for a 3hour training ride.

mtbr member
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1366741032

We had some melting snow and freeze/thaw this week so some of the trails were way too wet.

I did a nice Loop to my local trails and rode the trails that were in good shape.

The Revolver continues to impress with itís capabilities going up and coming down

With the suspension locked out the bike is hard tail efficient.

I was able to carry 2 water bottles (thank you Norco) on the bike and one in my jersey.

I also get tons of compliments on the bike when Iím riding; itís a pretty awesome color combo🤙

Overall I am impressed with the bike and at this point I donít feel like I need to change anything.

mtbr member

Another big day on the Revolver !

I made a few minor suspension air pressure adjustments that smoothed the fork out a little. Other than that the bike is definitely dialed and ready to race.

NedwannaB
    Dang dude that's some stats for a new bike break in ride!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    [IMG]
    I trimmed the brake hose and shifter cable.
    The bike is just about done except for a few fitting it and adjustments.

I havenít converted the wheels to tubeless yet so the weight includes tubes but no pedals.

Nice build! My Olve 2017 27.5 is around 21 pounds thanks in part to the ultralight 1180 Lightcarbon wheels. Details (including wheels) are at Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights- Mtbr.com

Love the bike on smooth trails, but it is quite limited as soon as things get rough and fast and point downhill!

Photo is before the LightCarbon wheels and some details are now changed (especially the saddle!!!!!!! Using and Ergon carbon instead of the "piece-of-wood" carbon one in the photo).
    Build and review: 2018 Revolver FS xx1-img_0523.jpg
    Build and review: 2018 Revolver FS xx1-.jpg
    Last edited by Davide; 02-05-2018 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Nice build! My Olve 2017 27.5 is around 21 pounds thanks in part to the ultralight 1180 Lightcarbon wheels. Details (including wheels) are at Norco (Rev)Olve(r) Build and Weights- Mtbr.com

Love the bike on smooth trails, but it is quite limited as soon as things get rough and fast and point downhill!
    ]
    Is that because of the build or the frame's geometry and rear suspension design?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Is that because of the build or the frame's geometry and rear suspension design?
    The build is strong, I have a FOX 34 in front, Renthal components, the wheels, at my weight, feel nicely rigid and sure footed.

I think it is geometry and travel. The Horst is ok downhill, but even at 120/100 the front is steep, and even at the 10% sag I use the back travel is limited and I bottom out quickly ... . I think a drop post might help, my bike is set up with a rather aggressive XC posture, and the 29 might be a bit better. But at the end of the story it is just a XC racing-style bike: I don't think it can compete with 125-150 travel trail bikes.

Maybe I am biased (or spoiled). My trail bike is a Ibis Mojo HD3 and it can go through anything as if it was not there. It is incredibly capable. So ... when I switch to the Olve ... well ... it is a bit shocking, so much so that I wimp out and simply do not take the bike on even a moderately rough trail
    Last edited by Davide; 02-06-2018 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member

BB question

Hey bud what BB are you using? Are your cranks GXP or 30mm?
    www.29er918.blogspot.com

Avoid the Clap, signedÖÖJimmy Dugan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9-18 Fast View Post
    Hey bud what BB are you using? Are your cranks GXP or 30mm?
    GXP with a PF bottom bracket

mtbr member

This is my build

Build and review: 2018 Revolver FS xx1-med-norco.jpg

I have raced a HT SS for since 2009 but this season I decided to go with a FS. I'm really stoked on how this thing came out. It is one of the fastest XC bikes I have ever ridden.

Frameset: 2018 Norco Revolver FS (Med).
    Headset: Stock with a flat Cane Creek top cap.
    Fork: Fox 32 Performance Step Cast (non-boost).
    Rear derailer: Sram XX1 (11 speed)
    Brakes: Sram Level TLM (All Ti hardware)
    Shifters: Sram XX1 11SPEED
    Cassette: Sram XX1 11 speed 11x42
    Crankset: Sram XX1 Eagle Dub
    Front ring: Wolf Tooth 34 oval direct mount.
    Bottom bracket: Sram Dub
    Chain: KMC X11EL
    Wheels: Sta Tru Evo Pro carbon 29" Wheelset.
    Tyres: Maxxis front/Aspen EXO 2.25 rear/Recon Race EXO 2.25
    Handlebar: Enve (cut to 710mm)
    Stem: Enve 70mm
    Saddle: Fizik Gobi R1 carbon
    Pedals: Time XC12
    Grips: ESI Fit SG
    Bottle cage: Arundel side mount carbon.
    Spacers: carbon 5mm
    Garmin mount: K-Edge stem mount
    Top cap: Wolf Tooth

Total weight: 21.65 lbs
    www.29er918.blogspot.com