Broken Norco frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Broken Norco frame

So I have a 2014 Norco Storm 9.2, last week my frame broke very close to my seat post. I took the bike back to the shop where I bought it and they have started a warranty claim for me. When one of the managers walked by the day I took it in, he said that my seat post was too high that is why it broke.

I was just hoping some had experience with this sort of break, and if norco will honor my limited lifetime warranty on the frame.

I posted a picture of the break link below :

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/liveystrong/album/Broken-frame/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Norco frame-20160812_142201.jpg  

@njcshreds
    Not that I'd imagine it would matter... but *was* your seat post up too high? I'd imagine that would matter more for a seat post warranty issue than a frame issue, though.

We are a Norco dealer, and we have not had any bikes back for a snapped seat tube.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
    Not that I'd imagine it would matter... but *was* your seat post up too high? I'd imagine that would matter more for a seat post warranty issue than a frame issue, though.

We are a Norco dealer, and we have not had any bikes back for a snapped seat tube.
    I always have the seat post inserted at least 4 inchs into the frame. Not sure if you can tell by the image but the frame/seat tube actually broke not the seat post.

In your professional opinion will norco replace my broken frame?

mtbr member
    I would hope so !!! What an odd break. Are you first owner and have the receipt?

Erik

@njcshreds
    Quote Originally Posted by livestrong89 View Post
    I always have the seat post inserted at least 4 inchs into the frame. Not sure if you can tell by the image but the frame/seat tube actually broke not the seat post.

In your professional opinion will norco replace my broken frame?
    Oh, I saw the frame broke. I was just playing Devil's Advocate for half a second. That's why I said even if it was up too high (past the magic line which we always show customers), I can see that only being an issue for a seatpost warranty.

My professional opinion is... I wonder if it's Norco telling the dealer 'no' or the dealer not wanting to bother with it. Sucks to even think that way. If this came to me I can't see why I'd have a problem getting it covered.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
    Oh, I saw the frame broke. I was just playing Devil's Advocate for half a second. That's why I said even if it was up too high (past the magic line which we always show customers), I can see that only being an issue for a seatpost warranty.

My professional opinion is... I wonder if it's Norco telling the dealer 'no' or the dealer not wanting to bother with it. Sucks to even think that way. If this came to me I can't see why I'd have a problem getting it covered.
    Yeah my seat post was untouched not even bent, and to be honest I got that feeling of them not wanting to bother with it, when I called in the next day and was told that they had to send more pictures to Norco. What other pictures wouldnt they already have sent? I think I may just try another dealer if they tell me nothing can be done. Your not located in Ontario are you? ahah

@njcshreds
    Quote Originally Posted by livestrong89 View Post
    Yeah my seat post was untouched not even bent, and to be honest I got that feeling of them not wanting to bother with it, when I called in the next day and was told that they had to send more pictures to Norco. What other pictures wouldnt they already have sent? I think I may just try another dealer if they tell me nothing can be done. Your not located in Ontario are you? ahah
    Ontario Canada? I'm only about a 7 - 8 hour drive haha.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    hi livestrong89 I too broke a Norco frame ( 13 sight 7.3) ,,3 times actually ,twice it was the rear triangle ,last it was the top tube . I must say Norco has been very good about replacing stuff and quick to !!! that could be my shop pushing it tooo I do buy a lot of bikes there ..lol......all my break have been at the welds, not sure if its a issue with the welding process
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Norco frame-20160725_125725.jpg  

Broken Norco frame-20160725_125733.jpg  

Broken Norco frame-20160725_130021.jpg  

Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have a Norco site b2 split in the middle of the seat stay. Had a few mild toss downs with it but none explain the fracture. My bike has been in the shop for 3 weeks and it is prime riding season. Every time they e-mail Norco, it takes them a week to respond back to the shop with incomplete information. As of now, they are only offering a "crash replacement warranty" because of a small scratch found almost 1.5" away from the break. On top of that, they do not have aluminum rear triangle replacements, so their offer is this: 1/2 price on a 7.2 carbon frame for $1300. My dealer said that they are dropping Norco this week and sending the bikes back. The low quality of Norco frames appears to be widely known with multiple forums discussing their frames breaking in various locations. This is my first and last Norco. I am cutting my losses and walking away from this company. They should recall all of their site and range models made in the last 4 years and offer refund and apology letters to all of their customers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It's unfortunate but all bike manufacturers get broken frames. Not just an Issue with Norco. I guess it's how companies deal with the warranty issue is what counts.

Google '[insert any bike manufacturer] broken frame' and you'll get plenty of results

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.commonsense View Post
    I have a Norco site b2 split in the middle of the seat stay. Had a few mild toss downs with it but none explain the fracture. My bike has been in the shop for 3 weeks and it is prime riding season. Every time they e-mail Norco, it takes them a week to respond back to the shop with incomplete information. As of now, they are only offering a "crash replacement warranty" because of a small scratch found almost 1.5" away from the break. On top of that, they do not have aluminum rear triangle replacements, so their offer is this: 1/2 price on a 7.2 carbon frame for $1300. My dealer said that they are dropping Norco this week and sending the bikes back. The low quality of Norco frames appears to be widely known with multiple forums discussing their frames breaking in various locations. This is my first and last Norco. I am cutting my losses and walking away from this company. They should recall all of their site and range models made in the last 4 years and offer refund and apology letters to all of their customers.
    With respect, I don't agree. In western Canada I would hazard a guess that there are more Norcos hammering extreme gnar than any other bike. The rap against Norco for years (same as Kona) is that their frames are WAY OVERBUILT. Frames built by companies located in the Pacific Northwest are generally built for the shore. And for Whistler. And Squamish. There is no fking around with them. They last. I see super old Norcos (and Konas) every time I ride.

And yeah - I know about the 2014 Range. Whatever. As mentioned, every single manufacturer has had production runs which resulted in broken frames. As also mentioned, it's how the company deals with this that matters. As far as I can surmise, Norco handled the 2014 Range issue about as best as it could.

OP - I would ditch that LBS quicker than one can say "f you".