Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4

Yes this is the bottom of the line Fluid but it's what my pocket book can afford. The fork, surprisingly feels very plush for a suntour, but it is on the heavy side. My issue is with the ISCG05 tabs.
    I bought a bash guard and the frame has only two iscg tabs, the top and the lower bottom right. There is no third tab, thus installing the bashguard its mounted in front of the chain ring which is completely useless.
    I dont know why Norco has done this.
    I've searched for a bashguard to fit the frame but found nothing.

mtbr member
    I've contacted our Norco Inside rep and he will ask the design team why it is so.
    He feels maybe it wasn't designed for a bash guard, if so the case may be, why bother putting ANY ISCG tabs on the frame at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1 View Post
    I've contacted our Norco Inside rep and he will ask the design team why it is so.
    He feels maybe it wasn't designed for a bash guard, if so the case may be, why bother putting ANY ISCG tabs on the frame at all.
    I think it's for the optional front derailleur mount. Some of the Fluid and Optic models came with a special plate that mounts to the tabs which allowed you to put a direct mount front derailleur on the bike. If you're running a 1X system you leave the plate off, if you're running a 2X you mount the plate to the tabs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What size did you get? Looking forward to ride impressions. Would also love to see some pictures. (Lots of pics)

mtbr member
    NO It doesn't have a front D mount, and I know the difference.
    It has two out of three ISCG mounts. the top right, and lower right. the lower left isn't there. After contacting Norco, it is not meant for a bash guard, but simply a high guide.
    I said what is the point of a 1 by drivetrain with a clutch derailleur? He was also baffled.
    Anyway I resolved the issue. Being it is external bb, it had a spacer.
    I found a BB mounted ISCG adapter, drilled out the top hole and right lower hole, and bolted it to the frame loosely, snugged up the BB then snugged up the adapter. Than I removed the lower right bolt, attached the bash guard and voila..works like a charm

mtbr member
    I bought a large. Sorry no pics I have only been night riding because of after work, but tomorrow I will go out again.
    The bike should not be considered a "trail" bike as per Norco. This thing rips. it is solid, zero flex, raked out can roll anything, and pedals up like a hard tail. I was so shocked because I had a 2014 Fluid as well and totally different bike. It was a bit to get used to turning the bike being it feels like it wants to tip because of being raked out, but once you are used to it, its awesome. Even the Suntour fork impressed the shit out of me. very plush but a bit heavy. I just think of it as a Marzocchi weight wise hahaha. For the money, fantastic bike.
    EDIT: The first and immediate upgrade are the brakes. The Tektro's are just awful. Before I took the bike out of the shop I installed some Deore M6000's, 203 rotor up front and 180 rear RT66's. Your LBS will give you a credit from the OEM parts to the newer parts and will be worth it. I didn't go Ice Tech because they squeal like a biatch in the wet, RT 66's so far 0 squeal. Don't even think about it, upgrade the brakes before your first ride, you wont regret it.
    If you night ride you will need a different light bracket for your bar being it's 35mm bar clamp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    You mention the fork is heavy, how is the bike as a whole. How much does it weigh?

mtbr member
    The bike as a large weighs in it 35 pounds. It's far from light, being my other Fluid same size, was just a hair over 30, but I also had upgraded everything to XT.
    I will ride the bike as is until the spring, then I will put it on a diet starting with lighter fork, and build/buy myself a lighter wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    That's not bad for the spec on the bike. Shouldn't be hard to drop 4-5 pounds. Those cranks are 900g just by themselves

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Unless parts are unbelievably cheap in the US, why didn't you buy a higher grade model and save money on individual upgrades?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Unless parts are unbelievably cheap in the US, why didn't you buy a higher grade model and save money on individual upgrades?
    I'm in Canada. I didn't buy a higher end model because I know I would upgrade it anyway. Being the frame is the same, and I haven't ridden in a while, I didn't want to drop 3k on a bike I will end up putting another k into it anyway on wheels and fork.
    Also Wasn't a fan of the high vis yellow or the grey look in the FS1. I can build wheels cheaper then buying, and stronger also obviously, and will also wait until forks go on sale with our distributors, then will upgrade.

banned
    Apr 2006
    I wanted to buy a frame. Just the frame.

Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-stw-2018-10-04-dsc06251-1024x683.jpg

No dice.

Norco should sell me a frame.
    Last edited by tungsten; 01-22-2019 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Ok so after riding the bike for a month, two weeks in, I changed the cogs to a 11-46 sunrace which works finw with deore 6000 derailleur. In fact there was still so much adjustment on the B limit I could easily throw an 11-50 on there. The bike climbs exceptionally well, the suntour fork works excellent, not as light as a RS or Fox, but it works very well. The rear shock is goid, but the higher end Fluid has an RS monarch debonair which I will purchase this summer for it. The Goodyear tires track very well as long as the air pressure is around 18-22 psi. I found the dropper to be a bit short @ 125mm, will be swapping that for a longer one as well this summer. Overall, I really like the bike, despite it being 35 lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think this is a very interesting bike. Good geo and price.

What bikes have you ridden before, what do you compare it to?

Do you have any idea if the frame will fit 27+ tyres?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    We really need some pictures

mtbr member
    Yes the frame will fit 27.5. I have 2.6 29 on it now and still tons of room . Ive ridden many and owned many bikes. other fluids, rocky mountains santa cruz, trek, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    We really need some pictures
    I will take photos soon. Been only doing night rides lately because we are doing maintenance in the shop this past month and ive worked 19 days without a day off yet, so no chance to ride in day time for pics. This upcoming sunday and mondy i am off and sunday i plan on being a couch potato lol.

mtbr member
    Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-7bff8265-3299-4c80-b674-935cef4fb558.jpgBought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-cb8965d9-1474-449f-bb3d-191a7b27f8ff.jpgOk i found two pics i took friday morning when i got to the shop. We rode Thursday night and was so muddy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you for the pics. Been wanting to see the black narcos. The website pics make it tough to see what it really looks like.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the pics. Been wanting to see the black narcos. The website pics make it tough to see what it really looks like.
    Its more of a dark charcoal then black

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks great. I dig it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am in the market for a cheap but good ride. Right now it's looking like either the Fluid or the GT Sensor. Tough to choose between the two.

If I go Norco its between the Fluid 3 or 4. I wish the 4 had 11 speeds instead of 10, but that's not a deal breaker. How would you compare the performance of that Suntour to a Rockshox Recon? I know upper end Suntour stuff is great, but I haven't read anything about the fork on the 4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Because I cant get a higher specd until mid march. Also wasnt a fan of battleshit grey

mtbr member
    I am in the market for a cheap but good ride. Right now it's looking like either the Fluid or the GT Sensor. Tough to choose between the two.

If I go Norco its between the Fluid 3 or 4. I wish the 4 had 11 speeds instead of 10, but that's not a deal breaker. How would you compare the performance of that Suntour to a Rockshox Recon? I know upper end Suntour stuff is great, but I haven't read anything about the fork on the 4.
    Inhavent ridden a recon, but the suntour is very stiff with 34mm stantions. Im not a suntour fan but this fork impresses me. I love theirbthru axle system. Quick and painless to remove

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Would you recommend this bike for 50% trail, 50% all day trips (30-50km)? Considering the FS1 and putting narrower tires like 2.35 so i can do weekend trips with my friends while maintaining the ability to do casual trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vis1on View Post
    Would you recommend this bike for 50% trail, 50% all day trips (30-50km)? Considering the FS1 and putting narrower tires like 2.35 so i can do weekend trips with my friends while maintaining the ability to do casual trails.
    For al lday trips, I think the Fluid is not the bike. with a 66 degree head angle its pretty slack for day rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So, why does Norco use the 142 QR rear axel? If they had a thru axel then many older bike part would fit on this new frame, specifically my carbon wheelset. I wanted to tranfer my parts from my older bike but the bike shop told me that it does not have TA

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I believe it is a boost thru axle. The specs say both 148 and 142, but I'm pretty sure that is a typo. Can a Fluid owner confirm this?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiggySawdust View Post
    So, why does Norco use the 142 QR rear axel? If they had a thru axel then many older bike part would fit on this new frame, specifically my carbon wheelset. I wanted to tranfer my parts from my older bike but the bike shop told me that it does not have TA
    No. The 2018 Fluid with 27.5 plus, used a 141 qr axle, same as Trek Roscoe. Stupidest thing Iíve seen. 2018 fluid without plus sized wheels uses standard 135 qr. 2019 Fluid uses 148 boost rear axle...this doesnít apply to Fluid hardtails.

mtbr member
    Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-image.jpgMy initial dilemna to bash guard. Heres a pic

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Upset

won't let me download my pics....
    Last edited by ATXFluid; 04-01-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: duplicate

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Just took delivery of my 2019 Norco Fluid FS 4 Friday! Major upgrade for me coming off an XC hard tail. Absolutely love it! Only downside is the weight, guess I'll have to get stronger!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Was really considering this frame for my next build so that I can finally stop chasing enduro bros down the hill with my drop bar bike or up the hill with my downhill bike... talked to my local bike shop and turns out I cant just get a frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXFluid View Post
    Just took delivery of my 2019 Norco Fluid FS 4 Friday! Major upgrade for me coming off an XC hard tail. Absolutely love it! Only downside is the weight, guess I'll have to get stronger!
    I have mine down to just over 33 lbs. I bought a different wheelset, and narrower tires for the summer, went tubeless, pt a race face six c carbon bar on it, race face turbine cranks, cinch, and a 46 t cogset on the back. lovin it

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    so I have been busy with my bike. I recently had surgery so I have had a lot of down time. Looking at my bike while laid up I decided to do some upgrades...
    2019 Rockshox Pike
    2019 Fox DPX2
    Hope Rotors
    Ibis S35 Wheelset
    Prologo Saddle
    Deore Hydro Brakes

Now I'm looking at the new 12 speed Shimano drive train!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Here it is so far..
    Lost 1.5 pounds switching the forks and 1lb on the wheel set!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-bikelove1.jpg  

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    so I have been busy with my bike. I recently had surgery so I have had a lot of down time. Looking at my bike while laid up I decided to do some upgrades...
    2019 Rockshox Pike
    2019 Fox DPX2
    Hope Rotors
    Ibis S35 Wheelset
    Prologo Saddle
    Deore Hydro Brakes

Now I'm looking at the new 12 speed Shimano drive train!
    Nothing like some downtime off the bike to get the wheels turning in the head to work on the bike...

I actually managed to get a frame only and just finished my build! Got it to 31.18lbs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT6g_519yoo

Frame : 2019 Norco Fluid 27.5 127mm
    Shock : 190X45 Rockshox Super Deluxe
    Fork : 140mm Rockshox Pike RCT3 27.5 42mm offset
    Stem : 35mm Nukeproof Horizon
    Bars : Deity Skyline 787
    Grips : Nukeproof
    Seatpost : Bontrager Dropline
    Shifter/Derailleur : Shimano XT M8000
    Brakes : Shimano XT M8000 180mm Rotors
    Pedals : Shimano SPD m770
    Crankset : SRAM X1 GXP 30T
    BB : SRAM GXP
    Chain : SUMC/ZRace 11s
    Chainguide : Deckas
    Cassette : SRAM GX 10-42 XD Cassette
    Wheels : e13 TRS
    Tires : 27.5x2.35 e13 TRS+/TRSr
    Saddle : Ebay Romin
    Framewrap : Custom Slicy

Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-67970851_2677785492231804_3675552743273005056_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    So it was you making the YouTube videos.
    I have to say that with all the upgrades that I've done there is a HUGE difference! completely different bike! Can't wait for the drive train!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    So it was you making the YouTube videos.
    I have to say that with all the upgrades that I've done there is a HUGE difference! completely different bike! Can't wait for the drive train!
    yea man... i dont know what the stock bike rides like, but damn the bike today was amazing... exactly how i thought it would ride... I'll probably drop a video Monday on me getting the suspension setup and the first ride with some homies!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    OMG!!! What a difference! Was boosting gaps I'd never consider before! Totally out of my mind about it!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    OMG!!! What a difference! Was boosting gaps I'd never consider before! Totally out of my mind about it!
    Yea bike is easy to boost and clear and double over obstacles. Obstacles dont exist if you dont touch them... haha. I did a side by side comparison between the Fluid and my DH bike. You can see the difference in riding style for sure but ultimately i think the Fluid will be just as fast. Keep in mind that in that video, that was the first run on the Fluid so it still needed to get the suspension setup. That and I how messed up the slalom section at the top which costed me some time and speed that I would have to be able to hold a lot better for the rough section if i had just went straight...

mtbr member
    The bike is definitely capable for a lot more then its intended use. i love my Fluid, rides well, never bottomed it out with stock suspension. Am considering putting a new Marzocchi fork on it, being its now owned and built by Fox, and much cheaper then fox fork

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1 View Post
    The bike is definitely capable for a lot more then its intended use. i love my Fluid, rides well, never bottomed it out with stock suspension. Am considering putting a new Marzocchi fork on it, being its now owned and built by Fox, and much cheaper then fox fork
    It's a solid bike for sure and I'm loving mine. Actually considering racing it at a DH race next week. I do wish I had a LSC adjustment on my superdeluxe as I could use a little more compression damping. That and the O ring on the shock kinda gets stuck on the rockers. But aside from that, really having fun with the bike and it's just a super flickable jibbing bike!

mtbr member
    Hey mrpercussive, what did you end up paying for the frame if you don't mind saying?

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by eh steve View Post
    Hey mrpercussive, what did you end up paying for the frame if you don't mind saying?
    I got the frame and shock for $1000. Had a lot of help with friends hooking it up with leftover bits in their garage for parts and the whole build came in under $1800.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    I got the frame and shock for $1000. Had a lot of help with friends hooking it up with leftover bits in their garage for parts and the whole build came in under $1800.
    Wow, that's awesome. It definitely doesn't look pieced together.

Frame from a Norco dealer?

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by eh steve View Post
    Wow, that's awesome. It definitely doesn't look pieced together.

Frame from a Norco dealer?
    Tried to do it through my local Norco dealer but they couldnt get me a frame only and they were also sold out on medium 27.5 for the year... So i got mine from someone who used to work on Norco who just happened to have a frame in my size and my shock of choice (Though I do wish there was more LSC).

This is the current build...
    Frame : 2019 Norco Fluid 27.5 127mm
    Shock : 190X45 Rockshox Super Deluxe
    Fork : 140mm Rockshox Pike RCT3 27.5 42mm offset
    Stem : 35mm Nukeproof Horizon
    Bars : Deity Skyline 787
    Grips : Nukeproof
    Seatpost : Bontrager Dropline
    Shifter/Derailleur : Shimano XT M8000
    Brakes : Shimano XT M8000 180mm Rotors
    Pedals : Shimano SPD m770
    Crankset : SRAM X1 GXP 30T
    BB : SRAM GXP
    Chain : SUMC/ZRace 11s
    Chainguide : Deckas
    Cassette : SRAM GX 10-42 XD Cassette
    Wheels : e13 TRS
    Tires : 27.5X2.4 Minion DHR2 3C Maxterra/Dual Compound
    Saddle : Ebay Romin
    Framewrap : Custom Slicy

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Man, it just keeps getting better and better! Maybe I should say, deeper and deeper!!!

so a run down...

Rockshox Pike RC 150mm
    Fox Shox DPX2 127mm
    IBIS S25 Wheelset
    Shimano Deore Hydrolics
    Hope floating rotors
    Prologo saddle
    Maxis DHF & Forcaster (2.6's)

and introducing a new 11spd drive train..
    Shimano XT crankset, cassette, derailleur, and XTR chain!!

I lost 235g from the SRSuntour crankset and bottom bracket...

The black shimano gear looks awesome against the blacked out frame!!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Man, it just keeps getting better and better! Maybe I should say, deeper and deeper!!!

so a run down...

Rockshox Pike RC 150mm
    Fox Shox DPX2 127mm
    IBIS S25 Wheelset
    Shimano Deore Hydrolics
    Hope floating rotors
    Prologo saddle
    Maxis DHF & Forcaster (2.6's)

and introducing a new 11spd drive train..
    Shimano XT crankset, cassette, derailleur, and XTR chain!!

I lost 235g from the SRSuntour crankset and bottom bracket...

The black shimano gear looks awesome against the blacked out frame!!
    Sick! How'd you like Forekaster in the rear? Have thought about running that as it's quite a bit lighter and rolls faster than the DHR2 and seeing as this is the jibbin' bike, lighter would be nicer...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Sick! How'd you like Forekaster in the rear? Have thought about running that as it's quite a bit lighter and rolls faster than the DHR2 and seeing as this is the jibbin' bike, lighter would be nicer...
    You know, everyone asked why I got that tire.. I love it! Went to Angle Fire and I had absolutely no issues! Probably will go Aggressor next time, a little more aggressive tread, just to see if it performs any better, I don't see how though!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    just noticed..
    That's IBIS S35's
    sorry

So dig the wider wheels.. loads less tire rolling..

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Fox Shox DPX2 127mm
    What size is this? That would have to be 190x45 for a 27.5", I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by stm32disco View Post
    What size is this? That would have to be 190x45 for a 27.5", I think.
    It is, but the guy I bought it from who told me it was "Brand New" lied and it had been altered. They took the "O" ring off inside to gain extra travel. I'm not complaining until I do! And I ride a 29er....

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    It is, but the guy I bought it from who told me it was "Brand New" lied and it had been altered. They took the "O" ring off inside to gain extra travel. I'm not complaining until I do! And I ride a 29er....
    There is a spacer inside the shock that limits the stroke to 42.5mm in a 27.5 frame. If it really is a 45mm stroke shock, the O ring likely got cut off by the rocker links at the top at full bottom. Yea the clearance is too small for the o ring to clear right at the top when it gets blown off the stanchion. The O ring on my 45mm has clear marks from the rocker link doing that...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    If it really is a 45mm stroke shock, the O ring likely got cut off by the rocker links at the top at full bottom. Yea the clearance is too small for the o ring to clear right at the top when it gets blown off the stanchion.

No, it was removed... The Volume spacer was changed too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Here she is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-xt1_1.jpg  

Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-xt2_2.jpg  

Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-xt3_3.jpg  

NedwannaB
    5'-6" too tall for a small? Man the frame chart sizing runs smaller on these than even Santa Cruz does.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    yes sizing runs small on Norcos. I'm riding an XL fits great too! Usually ride M/L.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I bought a fluid 4 29er (2019) coming up on a year ago. I have been upgrading parts as I can afford to. My next upgrade will either be the shock or the crankset. I've got 2 questions though.

Any opinions on which I should upgrade 1st? I am thinking the shock since I would need to service it soon anyway.

What do I need to know to pick the right shock and/or crankset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'd shop for both and buy what's on sale or can get on the cheap when you can. Check pinkbike for shocks, great deals can be found there. Also, with the new stuff coming out from shimano, the last gen can be picked up for next to nothing. My whole XT drive train cost less than $300.

No matter what you upgrade first, you probably will wish you did the other. This time I upgraded my shocks first, good decision as my cranks were "ok" enough to last until I had to replace them. It's a never ending rabbit hole! "Should I take the red pill or the blue one?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    What do I need to look for in terms of size that will fit for a shock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Which shock? Rear is 190x45, those are hard to find. Front, I'm running 150mm. Just know that if you alter your suspension travel and break you frame, Norco may not warrantee it. My rear shock has been modded to 127mm from 120 and works great.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by afred View Post
    What do I need to look for in terms of size that will fit for a shock?
    29er fluid will be a 190X45 for 120mm. I'd actually get some nice tires trail casing aggressive tires like 2.4 DHR2 front and rear instead of a new shock. Get it done tubeless while you're at it. Think that'll transform the ride a lot more than a new shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I've upgraded most the bike. The shock and the cranks are about the only thing left. I just don't know I need to look for in a shock to make it fit.

I like the idea of an extra 7 mil travel. What is the mod to do that?

I've got nukeproof carbon bars
    Xt and slx brakes with 200 and 180 rotors
    Did the suntour upgrade program to the Auron (really like it) fork
    Raceface aeffect r wheelset (still on order)
    Have an 2.5 aggressor on the back and dhf on the front.
    Xt shifter and derailleur (still the 10 speed though)

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Which shock? Rear is 190x45, those are hard to find. Front, I'm running 150mm. Just know that if you alter your suspension travel and break you frame, Norco may not warrantee it. My rear shock has been modded to 127mm from 120 and works great.
    I can increase my fork travel internally for free and was thinking about increasing it to 140. Has increasing to 150 effected the climbing?

I've seen mrpercussives video (nice videos btw). He has a 27.5. Were you able to increase to 127 on a 29er?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I can increase my fork travel internally for free and was thinking about increasing it to 140. Has increasing to 150 effected the climbing?

I've seen mrpercussives video (nice videos btw). He has a 27.5. Were you able to increase to 127 on a 29er?

I haven't noticed any change in climbing, I went up to the 11 speed so I guess that has voided any negatives. If you read comments below, they explain how I have 127mm travel on my rear shock.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja

Thanks man!
    For every 10mm of axle to crown you increase, it'll slacken your HA by roughly 0.5 degree and shorten your reach by about 5mm. I feel more of it when descending or when loading the rear axle to create lift and execute maneuvers. Not so much when climbing. Shorter reach makes doing stuff like manuals, wheelies, jumps easier as your body is in a better mechanical advantage to muscle the bike around. The longer the reach, the harder it is to do that but the more you can be a passenger as the more stable the bike becomes. Comes down to what you're looking to do with your bike. Keep in mind though that when increasing the a2c, you're also increasing wheelbase and raising the BB. So yea increase in wheelbase makes it more stable but the increase in BB height doesnt which is why when I did mine with the 140mm Pike, i'm running smaller tires to counter that and with the extra 7mm and same eye to eye, i'll have more sag so that counters my increase in BB height. Dont think you can get 127mm with the 29er as those come with 190X45 as opposed to the 190X42.5 on the 27.5 bikes. another way to counter the increase in BB height is to just run offset spacers (check for clearance) on that bike though that'll slacken your bike and reduce the reach even more which could be cool once again depending on what you're into.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks! So it sounds like I cant get the 127 mil on my 29er, no problem. I can also play with my fork, travel just takes the time it takes to do a lower leg service.
    So basically I am just looking for the best shock I can afford that is 190x45 and that is all I have to look at as far as working on the bike, right? (Other bells and whistles aside)

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Thanks! So it sounds like I cant get the 127 mil on my 29er, no problem. I can also play with my fork, travel just takes the time it takes to do a lower leg service.
    So basically I am just looking for the best shock I can afford that is 190x45 and that is all I have to look at as far as working on the bike, right? (Other bells and whistles aside)
    Yup unless you get a shock that has a factory set compression tune like some rockshox stuff then get a medium as your leverage ratio is 1:2.67. Also depending on what brand shock, you might not be able to use your current shock hardware in which case you could possibly just go for it and get some offset bushings (check for clearance first) to offset the raised BB that you're going to get with that longer fork should you choose to go with that 150mm. Keep in mind though that'll put your HA at about 64.5degrees which could be cool af or not depending on what you're into

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yup unless you get a shock that has a factory set compression tune like some rockshox stuff then get a medium as your leverage ratio is 1:2.67. Also depending on what brand shock, you might not be able to use your current shock hardware in which case you could possibly just go for it and get some offset bushings (check for clearance first) to offset the raised BB that you're going to get with that longer fork should you choose to go with that 150mm. Keep in mind though that'll put your HA at about 64.5degrees which could be cool af or not depending on what you're into
    Good input! That makes since, I thought it was because I haven't ridden due to injuries for a while. Now I understand where I need to make my riding adjustments. My front wheel has been washing out. Think I may go to a 43 mm offset on my fork to help counter head tube angle?

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Good input! That makes since, I thought it was because I haven't ridden due to injuries for a while. Now I understand where I need to make my riding adjustments. My front wheel has been washing out. Think I may go to a 43 mm offset on my fork to help counter head tube angle?
    Dont think you'll feel the difference in offset that much... Just make sure your suspension setup is balanced front and back. That would be the first thing I'd do, then cockpit setup. Someone on IG actually asked me about this same thing... mentioned that I would eventually make a youtube video about it. Just haven't gotten around to it yet cause well... life... haha

mtbr member
    Well Ive bought a Trek Full Stache frame, now my Fluid Large frame will be put up for sale next week with original wheels and headset.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    An update on my Fluid...

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Just wanted to say... I have upgraded most of my fluid 4, but my last upgrade was some raceface wheels. This was BY FAR the best upgrade so far. Of the 26 Stava segments (on 2 different rides) I have done with them, I PR'd 21 and was my 2nd best on 3. The only down side is the new wrinkle on my face from smiling all day.