Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4

Yes this is the bottom of the line Fluid but it's what my pocket book can afford. The fork, surprisingly feels very plush for a suntour, but it is on the heavy side. My issue is with the ISCG05 tabs.
    I bought a bash guard and the frame has only two iscg tabs, the top and the lower bottom right. There is no third tab, thus installing the bashguard its mounted in front of the chain ring which is completely useless.
    I dont know why Norco has done this.
    I've searched for a bashguard to fit the frame but found nothing.

mtbr member
    I've contacted our Norco Inside rep and he will ask the design team why it is so.
    He feels maybe it wasn't designed for a bash guard, if so the case may be, why bother putting ANY ISCG tabs on the frame at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1 View Post
    I've contacted our Norco Inside rep and he will ask the design team why it is so.
    He feels maybe it wasn't designed for a bash guard, if so the case may be, why bother putting ANY ISCG tabs on the frame at all.
    I think it's for the optional front derailleur mount. Some of the Fluid and Optic models came with a special plate that mounts to the tabs which allowed you to put a direct mount front derailleur on the bike. If you're running a 1X system you leave the plate off, if you're running a 2X you mount the plate to the tabs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What size did you get? Looking forward to ride impressions. Would also love to see some pictures. (Lots of pics)

mtbr member
    NO It doesn't have a front D mount, and I know the difference.
    It has two out of three ISCG mounts. the top right, and lower right. the lower left isn't there. After contacting Norco, it is not meant for a bash guard, but simply a high guide.
    I said what is the point of a 1 by drivetrain with a clutch derailleur? He was also baffled.
    Anyway I resolved the issue. Being it is external bb, it had a spacer.
    I found a BB mounted ISCG adapter, drilled out the top hole and right lower hole, and bolted it to the frame loosely, snugged up the BB then snugged up the adapter. Than I removed the lower right bolt, attached the bash guard and voila..works like a charm

mtbr member
    I bought a large. Sorry no pics I have only been night riding because of after work, but tomorrow I will go out again.
    The bike should not be considered a "trail" bike as per Norco. This thing rips. it is solid, zero flex, raked out can roll anything, and pedals up like a hard tail. I was so shocked because I had a 2014 Fluid as well and totally different bike. It was a bit to get used to turning the bike being it feels like it wants to tip because of being raked out, but once you are used to it, its awesome. Even the Suntour fork impressed the shit out of me. very plush but a bit heavy. I just think of it as a Marzocchi weight wise hahaha. For the money, fantastic bike.
    EDIT: The first and immediate upgrade are the brakes. The Tektro's are just awful. Before I took the bike out of the shop I installed some Deore M6000's, 203 rotor up front and 180 rear RT66's. Your LBS will give you a credit from the OEM parts to the newer parts and will be worth it. I didn't go Ice Tech because they squeal like a biatch in the wet, RT 66's so far 0 squeal. Don't even think about it, upgrade the brakes before your first ride, you wont regret it.
    If you night ride you will need a different light bracket for your bar being it's 35mm bar clamp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    You mention the fork is heavy, how is the bike as a whole. How much does it weigh?

mtbr member
    The bike as a large weighs in it 35 pounds. It's far from light, being my other Fluid same size, was just a hair over 30, but I also had upgraded everything to XT.
    I will ride the bike as is until the spring, then I will put it on a diet starting with lighter fork, and build/buy myself a lighter wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    That's not bad for the spec on the bike. Shouldn't be hard to drop 4-5 pounds. Those cranks are 900g just by themselves

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Unless parts are unbelievably cheap in the US, why didn't you buy a higher grade model and save money on individual upgrades?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Unless parts are unbelievably cheap in the US, why didn't you buy a higher grade model and save money on individual upgrades?
    I'm in Canada. I didn't buy a higher end model because I know I would upgrade it anyway. Being the frame is the same, and I haven't ridden in a while, I didn't want to drop 3k on a bike I will end up putting another k into it anyway on wheels and fork.
    Also Wasn't a fan of the high vis yellow or the grey look in the FS1. I can build wheels cheaper then buying, and stronger also obviously, and will also wait until forks go on sale with our distributors, then will upgrade.

banned
    Apr 2006
    I wanted to buy a frame. Just the frame.

Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-stw-2018-10-04-dsc06251-1024x683.jpg

No dice.

Norco should sell me a frame.
    Last edited by tungsten; 01-22-2019 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Ok so after riding the bike for a month, two weeks in, I changed the cogs to a 11-46 sunrace which works finw with deore 6000 derailleur. In fact there was still so much adjustment on the B limit I could easily throw an 11-50 on there. The bike climbs exceptionally well, the suntour fork works excellent, not as light as a RS or Fox, but it works very well. The rear shock is goid, but the higher end Fluid has an RS monarch debonair which I will purchase this summer for it. The Goodyear tires track very well as long as the air pressure is around 18-22 psi. I found the dropper to be a bit short @ 125mm, will be swapping that for a longer one as well this summer. Overall, I really like the bike, despite it being 35 lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think this is a very interesting bike. Good geo and price.

What bikes have you ridden before, what do you compare it to?

Do you have any idea if the frame will fit 27+ tyres?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    We really need some pictures

mtbr member
    Yes the frame will fit 27.5. I have 2.6 29 on it now and still tons of room . Ive ridden many and owned many bikes. other fluids, rocky mountains santa cruz, trek, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    We really need some pictures
    I will take photos soon. Been only doing night rides lately because we are doing maintenance in the shop this past month and ive worked 19 days without a day off yet, so no chance to ride in day time for pics. This upcoming sunday and mondy i am off and sunday i plan on being a couch potato lol.

mtbr member
    Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-7bff8265-3299-4c80-b674-935cef4fb558.jpgBought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-cb8965d9-1474-449f-bb3d-191a7b27f8ff.jpgOk i found two pics i took friday morning when i got to the shop. We rode Thursday night and was so muddy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you for the pics. Been wanting to see the black narcos. The website pics make it tough to see what it really looks like.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the pics. Been wanting to see the black narcos. The website pics make it tough to see what it really looks like.
    Its more of a dark charcoal then black

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks great. I dig it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am in the market for a cheap but good ride. Right now it's looking like either the Fluid or the GT Sensor. Tough to choose between the two.

If I go Norco its between the Fluid 3 or 4. I wish the 4 had 11 speeds instead of 10, but that's not a deal breaker. How would you compare the performance of that Suntour to a Rockshox Recon? I know upper end Suntour stuff is great, but I haven't read anything about the fork on the 4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Because I cant get a higher specd until mid march. Also wasnt a fan of battleshit grey

mtbr member
    I am in the market for a cheap but good ride. Right now it's looking like either the Fluid or the GT Sensor. Tough to choose between the two.

If I go Norco its between the Fluid 3 or 4. I wish the 4 had 11 speeds instead of 10, but that's not a deal breaker. How would you compare the performance of that Suntour to a Rockshox Recon? I know upper end Suntour stuff is great, but I haven't read anything about the fork on the 4.
    Inhavent ridden a recon, but the suntour is very stiff with 34mm stantions. Im not a suntour fan but this fork impresses me. I love theirbthru axle system. Quick and painless to remove

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Would you recommend this bike for 50% trail, 50% all day trips (30-50km)? Considering the FS1 and putting narrower tires like 2.35 so i can do weekend trips with my friends while maintaining the ability to do casual trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vis1on View Post
    Would you recommend this bike for 50% trail, 50% all day trips (30-50km)? Considering the FS1 and putting narrower tires like 2.35 so i can do weekend trips with my friends while maintaining the ability to do casual trails.
    For al lday trips, I think the Fluid is not the bike. with a 66 degree head angle its pretty slack for day rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So, why does Norco use the 142 QR rear axel? If they had a thru axel then many older bike part would fit on this new frame, specifically my carbon wheelset. I wanted to tranfer my parts from my older bike but the bike shop told me that it does not have TA

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I believe it is a boost thru axle. The specs say both 148 and 142, but I'm pretty sure that is a typo. Can a Fluid owner confirm this?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiggySawdust View Post
    So, why does Norco use the 142 QR rear axel? If they had a thru axel then many older bike part would fit on this new frame, specifically my carbon wheelset. I wanted to tranfer my parts from my older bike but the bike shop told me that it does not have TA
    No. The 2018 Fluid with 27.5 plus, used a 141 qr axle, same as Trek Roscoe. Stupidest thing Iíve seen. 2018 fluid without plus sized wheels uses standard 135 qr. 2019 Fluid uses 148 boost rear axle...this doesnít apply to Fluid hardtails.

mtbr member
    Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-image.jpgMy initial dilemna to bash guard. Heres a pic

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Upset

won't let me download my pics....
    Last edited by ATXFluid; 04-01-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: duplicate

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Just took delivery of my 2019 Norco Fluid FS 4 Friday! Major upgrade for me coming off an XC hard tail. Absolutely love it! Only downside is the weight, guess I'll have to get stronger!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Was really considering this frame for my next build so that I can finally stop chasing enduro bros down the hill with my drop bar bike or up the hill with my downhill bike... talked to my local bike shop and turns out I cant just get a frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXFluid View Post
    Just took delivery of my 2019 Norco Fluid FS 4 Friday! Major upgrade for me coming off an XC hard tail. Absolutely love it! Only downside is the weight, guess I'll have to get stronger!
    I have mine down to just over 33 lbs. I bought a different wheelset, and narrower tires for the summer, went tubeless, pt a race face six c carbon bar on it, race face turbine cranks, cinch, and a 46 t cogset on the back. lovin it

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    so I have been busy with my bike. I recently had surgery so I have had a lot of down time. Looking at my bike while laid up I decided to do some upgrades...
    2019 Rockshox Pike
    2019 Fox DPX2
    Hope Rotors
    Ibis S35 Wheelset
    Prologo Saddle
    Deore Hydro Brakes

Now I'm looking at the new 12 speed Shimano drive train!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Here it is so far..
    Lost 1.5 pounds switching the forks and 1lb on the wheel set!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-bikelove1.jpg  

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    so I have been busy with my bike. I recently had surgery so I have had a lot of down time. Looking at my bike while laid up I decided to do some upgrades...
    2019 Rockshox Pike
    2019 Fox DPX2
    Hope Rotors
    Ibis S35 Wheelset
    Prologo Saddle
    Deore Hydro Brakes

Now I'm looking at the new 12 speed Shimano drive train!
    Nothing like some downtime off the bike to get the wheels turning in the head to work on the bike...

I actually managed to get a frame only and just finished my build! Got it to 31.18lbs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT6g_519yoo

Frame : 2019 Norco Fluid 27.5 127mm
    Shock : 190X45 Rockshox Super Deluxe
    Fork : 140mm Rockshox Pike RCT3 27.5 42mm offset
    Stem : 35mm Nukeproof Horizon
    Bars : Deity Skyline 787
    Grips : Nukeproof
    Seatpost : Bontrager Dropline
    Shifter/Derailleur : Shimano XT M8000
    Brakes : Shimano XT M8000 180mm Rotors
    Pedals : Shimano SPD m770
    Crankset : SRAM X1 GXP 30T
    BB : SRAM GXP
    Chain : SUMC/ZRace 11s
    Chainguide : Deckas
    Cassette : SRAM GX 10-42 XD Cassette
    Wheels : e13 TRS
    Tires : 27.5x2.35 e13 TRS+/TRSr
    Saddle : Ebay Romin
    Framewrap : Custom Slicy

Bought a 2019 Fluid FS 4-67970851_2677785492231804_3675552743273005056_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    So it was you making the YouTube videos.
    I have to say that with all the upgrades that I've done there is a HUGE difference! completely different bike! Can't wait for the drive train!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    So it was you making the YouTube videos.
    I have to say that with all the upgrades that I've done there is a HUGE difference! completely different bike! Can't wait for the drive train!
    yea man... i dont know what the stock bike rides like, but damn the bike today was amazing... exactly how i thought it would ride... I'll probably drop a video Monday on me getting the suspension setup and the first ride with some homies!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    OMG!!! What a difference! Was boosting gaps I'd never consider before! Totally out of my mind about it!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    OMG!!! What a difference! Was boosting gaps I'd never consider before! Totally out of my mind about it!
    Yea bike is easy to boost and clear and double over obstacles. Obstacles dont exist if you dont touch them... haha. I did a side by side comparison between the Fluid and my DH bike. You can see the difference in riding style for sure but ultimately i think the Fluid will be just as fast. Keep in mind that in that video, that was the first run on the Fluid so it still needed to get the suspension setup. That and I how messed up the slalom section at the top which costed me some time and speed that I would have to be able to hold a lot better for the rough section if i had just went straight...