Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???

Anxious to hear from anyone that's ridden the newly designed sight. 27.5 Or 29. Let's hear those reviews!

mtbr member
    I have only seen this "1st Look" review in an Australian mag:
    https://www.ambmag.com.au/feature/fi...rbon-92-450954

I did see a couple pics of the 9.2 on the MTBR Instagram feed, so hoping that Francis will be reviewing it here soon.

It is a little weird that they released the new Sight models a couple weeks ago with nothing but press releases, but seemingly went all in with the Range release yesterday (in terms of getting it in the hands of reviewers for same day reviews).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Had a parking lot test today for sight 9.2. Geometry felt very good, and it pedalled really well. Well on par with vpp, which was big surprise. Weighted it and it was 13,8 kgs, which is a lot for carbon bike. Felt stiff but as 130mm carbon bike there was 1 kgs extra and not too easy to shave off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    not too easy to shave off?? you're not trying hard enough. $3000 outta do it, no problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Anyone else own or buy one of these? A demo is coming this Saturday to my town. Hopefully they will have one to ride.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gritnteeth View Post
    Anyone else own or buy one of these? A demo is coming this Saturday to my town. Hopefully they will have one to ride.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Let me know whether you're able to demo a new Sight. I talked to Norco via Facebook chat a couple weeks ago, as I wanted to know what their demo schedule was. I was told the new Range and Sight models have been selling quite well, and therefore they haven't been able to add them to their demo fleet. They estimated the new bikes would be added to their demo vans by mid-June.

There's a dealer near me that's getting an XL Sight C9.2 in soon, and thankfully the owner is willing to let me demo it for a few hours, even though it's just going to be a floor model for sale. I can update this thread after my ride with my impressions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone seen the weight on the 9.1? All the reviews were on 9.2s

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been on the 9.1 for a few weeks and I am very impressed. I had the 2014 Sight carbon, and have a Range. It handles incredibly well, whether climbing, cornering or descending. It also jumps really well- better than I would have expected. It's a blast. I love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I may make a separate thread for this but has anyone ridden a sight 29 and an Evil Following? I've had the following for the last couple years and really like the look of the Sight on paper (just wish I could get the shorter chainstays in a size L).

I'd love to hear comparisons on the suspension performance especially.

mtbr platinum member

Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???

I have not ridden a Following buy ride a Giant Trance 29'er 120mm and demo'd the Sight, Range, and a Guerrilla Gravity Trail pistol in 140/130 format on the same trails. My test ride notes on the Sight were: "Norco Sight 130mm 29". Slot car like handling. Rear shock valved too firm. A bit harsh. Cased jump and only used about 70% travel at 30% sag. Yaris fork damping quality not matching rear or my Pike. Some minor bobbing while sated on climbs buy not too bad. Excellent on bermy flow trail with jumps. Great edge to edge transitions."

IMHO, the Range stole the show though. Super fun and grin inducing. Only gripe was that the overall weight if the bike felt noticeable by then end of my demo. Doesn't hide the weight on the climbs. Geometry felt spot on though. Fun bike. Felt long on quick edge to edge transition turns like I was late exiting each turn due to long wheelbase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Man I wish we had Norco demo days around here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Is there a shortage of sights out there?
    Seems like not many people have got or ridden one?
    I am thinking about a sight c 7.2 and would love to hear more from riders. All the reviews have been about the 29er, which have been great. I guess the 27.5 would be just about the same but more nimble.

alien exchange student
    Just got my 2017 Carbon Sight so I only have one ride on it but I did intentionally put it through the paces. I was a little anxious coming off some other bikes that were very nice (Pivot Mach 6 Carbon, Turner Spot). I am really happy with the bike. The first impression is that it feels beefy. Once you start pedalling though, it actually feels very quick. I'd say the Horst link bobs less than my DW Pivot but both bikes pedal well. I don't know the weight but the bike felt very nimble and easy to throw around. It climbed rocky technical stuff with ease. I will try to follow up once I have more time in the saddle. As of today though, I'm very happy.
    More riding tips than the Kama Sutra!

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider Mel View Post
    Just got my 2017 Carbon Sight so I only have one ride on it but I did intentionally put it through the paces. I was a little anxious coming off some other bikes that were very nice (Pivot Mach 6 Carbon, Turner Spot). I am really happy with the bike. The first impression is that it feels beefy. Once you start pedalling though, it actually feels very quick. I'd say the Horst link bobs less than my DW Pivot but both bikes pedal well. I don't know the weight but the bike felt very nimble and easy to throw around. It climbed rocky technical stuff with ease. I will try to follow up once I have more time in the saddle. As of today though, I'm very happy.
    Looking forward to a further report. And a further edition (assuming you are who you say you are). Respect.

alien exchange student
    Hey Mike, it's me! A new Ontario edition is at the printer. A new Moab edition will be out in the Fall. Cheers!

high pivot witchcraft
    Hey Mike, it's me! A new Ontario edition is at the printer. A new Moab edition will be out in the Fall. Cheers!
    I have enjoyed your Moab guide for decades. I buy a new one every trip, even if I don't need it. Hilarious, but oh so very insightful. The best of its kind. Light years ahead of its competition. Beautifully readable. A keepsake.

I was on a trip when a buddy dislocated a finger coming out of Amasa Back (I believe this may have been my first time in Moab). We went to the hospital. The chart listing the nature and extent of injuries, and trail location - the same one that later appeared in one of your editions near the end - was hanging on the wall in the patient's room. Bizarre!!! The physician told us that the bad news was that things were going to hurt like hell very shortly. The good news was that it would feel like heaven afterwards. He told us he had treated literally hundreds of the identical injury.

Anyway, very much respect for you Sir. And thank you for all your wonderful works over the years. I have enjoyed them all, as have all my friends.

I own a Norco Range and am looking forward to your further thoughts regarding the Sight.

I always assumed you were a Moab local. Weird.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey Mel, I assume that you have the 27.5 version sight?
    I currently ride a Pivot Mach 5.7 so its good to hear that it pedals ok.

mtbr member

So, um yeah, this bike is awesome.

SEI Racing

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post

Wow. That looks incredible. Then again, I have been staring at the new Konas in horror, so yours looks even better!

Seriously though, that bike is awesome. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Is that a 150 Fox 36? If so, how do you like the longer fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by linden44 View Post
    Is that a 150 Fox 36? If so, how do you like the longer fork?
    Yes. That is a 150 36. I really like the fork, but it is not much taller at all than the pike 140. The pike has a higher axle to crown so it is like only 6mm higher or so. But the fork feels great and you can still throw this bike around with ease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yes. That is a 150 36. I really like the fork, but it is not much taller at all than the pike 140. The pike has a higher axle to crown so it is like only 6mm higher or so. But the fork feels great and you can still throw this bike around with ease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sweet! Does throwing a 150 fork on it still allow it to stay within warranty?

mtbr member

Great review
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by linden44 View Post
    Sweet! Does throwing a 150 fork on it still allow it to stay within warranty?
    Yes. I double checked.
    SEI Racing

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Great review
    Bahahahahahahahaha!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You guys seen the specs on 18 C1 sight.
    Fox dpx2 as standard
    Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???-18-sight.png

Summit Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhazard View Post
    You guys seen the specs on 18 C1 sight.
    Fox dpx2 as standard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18 sight.PNG 
Views:	141 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	1153966
    No, where'd you see 2018 specs? I missed out on a 2017 Sight and have been looking for info and release dates for the 2018's.

There's an Australian site (ambmag.au.com) that has a write up and pictures of a few different '18 Ranges and Sights, but no real details on the specs.

The carbon Range pictured is the C2 and has a Pike and Super Deluxe for suspension, E13 rims and tires on DT Swiss hubs, GX Eagle on Truvative cranks, Reverb Stealth and what looks like some level of Guide brakes.

The Sight picture is of the C2 and is a sweet looking stealth black. Wheels are similiar to 2017 - Race Face ARC 30's with Maxxis DHF/DHR tires. Suspension on the C2 is full RockShox: Pike and Deluxe RT Debonair.

high pivot witchcraft

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi Fenix501
    Yer the black looks sweet wish the C1 had that colour option.
    C1 specs are up on an Aus shop not sure they should be there or not.
    Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???-spec3.png

alien exchange student
    Follow up on my 2017 Carbon sight.
    I have now had a pile of rides on the new Sight including some miles on very rocky/rooty trails. The bike really performs well on nastiness. The Horst link style rear end behaves as you'd expect. It translates power very quickly and they seem to have pedal-induced bob almost gone completely. Where the bike really shines for me is on rough obstacles and gnarly downs. It feels incredibly stable. I think it is a combo of the Pike, wide rims with big tires, wide bars, and geometry that has been refined over the past two iterations. In any case, it is fun and confidence-inspiring. One more thing to note: I find this bike incredibly easy to throw around. I'm sure the weight is a factor but there is probably more to it than that. If you are in the market, the Sight is definitely worth a look.
    More riding tips than the Kama Sutra!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Good job!

I have a Sight 9.2 which I posted a review of in the mtbr reviews. All in all, I like this bike. It is a lot different from what I was previously riding (SC 5010). I live in the high desert with lots of hardpack, rocks, sand, and more rocks.
    Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???-img_20170819_195234977.jpg
    Things I like:
    1) Climbing was never important to me as a function of mountain biking because I naturally am a strong climber, but this bike has changed my mind about that. It climbs so fast and well (part 29 wheels, part suspension design) that I am very thankful that on say a routine 3 mile uphill that I feel like I used about 30% less energy and get there about 50% faster. There is about a 1/2 mile section of technical, tight trail in one of my nearby rides. It has many rock ledges where there's not a lot of room on either side of the bike when navigating through it. I have ripped through that section so much faster than I did on my 5010. The bigger wheels roll over the ledges and don't seem to hinder the bike's maneuverability. I was really impressed. Ultimately what I learned is that a bike that climbs better isn't about getting there faster, it is about saving you a lot of energy so you can put that energy towards more aggressive downhill riding.
    2) Good generous reach. I'm only 5'11" but don't like a bike to feel short when descending. This bike hits the sweet spot in my opinion with just under 460mm reach on a large.
    3) Nimble as heck. I am not a 29er fan but bought one to challenge myself skill wise and this bike does not remind me I'm on bigger wheels. In fact, it is more nimble than my shorter wheelbase SC. Easy to lift the front wheel, easy to kick around the back end, very good feedback between the bike and your body.
    4) Bike was spec'd consistently with XT including hubs, cassette, shifter, cranks. I appreciate not having various levels of parts on my bike.
    5) Rolls very very fast. Though when I changed tires to minions did have a little more rolling resistance (trade off for traction). But this thing screams downhill.

Things that I wasn't thrilled about:
    1) Stock Schwalbe tires (nobby nic/magic mary) slide a lot on loose and hard pack, seems like they were intended for real dirt not dry desert dirt. The Maxxis Minions fixed that.
    2) After messing with the RockShox Deluxe rear shock for a couple weeks, I was persuaded to try a Fox DPX2 on the rear which turned out to be a great recommendation. The deluxe had zero small bump sensitivity. It also made going over rocks/ledges feel like I was on a hardtail. It was really hard to use the full travel and I even cleaned out the air can and added new oil (which helped a little) and tried running lower pressure (140 on a 175 pound rider) and all different types of rebound settings. But every time I rode I would look down and think my suspension was locked out and in fact it wasn't. To my pleasant surprise, the Fox fixed all my suspension woes and the rear end now is very supple. I personally think something was wrong with my Deluxe but wasn't willing to send it off for warranty. It is for sale in the classified section if you're in the market for a nearly new shock.
    3) Internal cable routing was noisy. Pulled the excess cables out of the frame and tightened the cable ports, which mostly fixed the problem. The cable ports were all very loose and I was lucky that the one near the bottom bracket didn't get lost. The cable ports are also fairly unattractive. Personally I'd rather have external routing. Or that norco put a sleeve inside the frame that keeps everything whisper quiet.
    4) Frame can feel a little too stiff. This isn't really a negative. I'll just say that in rough terrain (chunder, rock gardens) I get a lot more vibration feedback through the bike than I did on my SC. The Fox shock helped and I'm going to do some things with my Pike to make it more plush. The stiffness along with the geometry are what make this bike so maneuverable. But as an 'all mountain' bike, that stiffness could lead to rider fatigue if you were doing long, rocky, technical descents.
    5) Head tube is very short. Probably not a negative for most, but I have about 2 inches of spacers in mine (using all the spacers that came with the bike). Cosmetically looks a little strange and unlikely anyone riding a large would need such a low head tube.

All in all, I like the bike. I like the geometry. But if I were to do it again I might consider a little longer travel 29er like the Trek Slash or Norco Range. The Range isn't really any longer (in terms of wheelbase or chainstays) but has a lot more travel. This bike to me feels more like a trail bike than an All Mountain. But the stiffness of this bike really needs to be tempered with some plush suspension, especially if you live in a rocky/hardpack area.
    Last edited by foggnm; 09-27-2017 at 09:16 PM.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by foggnm View Post
    I have a Sight 9.2 which I posted a review of in the mtbr reviews. All in all, I like this bike. It is a lot different from what I was previously riding (SC 5010). I live in the high desert with lots of hardpack, rocks, sand, and more rocks.

Things I like:
    1) Climbing was never important to me as a function of mountain biking because I naturally am a strong climber, but this bike has changed my mind about that. It climbs so fast and well (part 29 wheels, part suspension design) that I am very thankful that on say a routine 3 mile uphill that I feel like I used about 30% less energy and get there about 50% faster.
    2) Good generous reach. I'm only 5'11" but don't like a bike to feel short when descending. This bike hits the sweet spot in my opinion with just under 460mm reach on a large.
    3) Nimble as heck. I am not a 29er fan but bought one to challenge myself skill wise and this bike does not remind me I'm on bigger wheels. In fact, it is more nimble than my shorter wheelbase SC. Easy to lift the front wheel, easy to kick around the back end, very good feedback between the bike and your body.
    4) Bike was spec'd consistently with XT including hubs, cassette, shifter, cranks. I appreciate not having various levels of parts on my bike.
    5) Rolls very very fast. Though when I changed tires to minions did have a little more rolling resistance (trade off for traction). But this thing screams downhill.

Things that I wasn't thrilled about:
    1) Stock Schwalbe tires (nobby nic/magic mary) slide a lot on loose and hard pack, seems like they were intended for real dirt not dry desert dirt. The Maxxis Minions fixed that.
    2) After messing with the RockShox Deluxe rear shock for a couple weeks, I was persuaded to try a Fox DPX2 on the rear which turned out to be a great recommendation. The deluxe had zero small bump sensitivity. It also made going over rocks/ledges feel like I was on a hardtail. It was really hard to use the full travel and I even cleaned out the air can and added new oil (which helped a little) and tried running lower pressure (140 on a 175 pound rider) and all different types of rebound settings. But every time I rode I would look down and think my suspension was locked out and in fact it wasn't. To my pleasant surprise, the Fox fixed all my suspension woes and the rear end now is very supple. I personally think something was wrong with my Deluxe but wasn't willing to send it off for warranty. It is for sale in the classified section if you're in the market for a nearly new shock.
    3) Internal cable routing was noisy. Pulled the excess cables out of the frame and tightened the cable ports, which mostly fixed the problem. The cable ports were all very loose and I was lucky that the one near the bottom bracket didn't get lost. The cable ports are also fairly unattractive. Personally I'd rather have external routing. Or that norco put a sleeve inside the frame that keeps everything whisper quiet.
    4) Frame can feel a little too stiff. This isn't really a negative. I'll just say that in rough terrain (chunder, rock gardens) I get a lot more vibration feedback through the bike than I did on my SC. The Fox shock helped and I'm going to do some things with my Pike to make it more plush. The stiffness along with the geometry are what make this bike so maneuverable. But as an 'all mountain' bike, that stiffness could lead to rider fatigue if you were doing long, rocky, technical descents.
    5) Head tube is very short. Probably not a negative for most, but I have about 2 inches of spacers in mine (using all the spacers that came with the bike). Cosmetically looks a little strange and unlikely anyone riding a large would need such a low head tube.

All in all, I like the bike. I like the geometry. But if I were to do it again I might consider a little longer travel 29er like the Trek Slash or Norco Range. The Range isn't really any longer (in terms of wheelbase or chainstays) but has a lot more travel. This bike to me feels more like a trail bike than an All Mountain. But the stiffness of this bike really needs to be tempered with some plush suspension, especially if you live in a rocky/hardpack area.
    Goddammit Sir, that is an incredible review. Seriously. Thank you for taking the time to type all of that out for the benefit of others. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Goddammit Sir, that is an incredible review. Seriously. Thank you for taking the time to type all of that out for the benefit of others. Much appreciated.
    I told you it was awesome. Hell, I was just saving you a lot of reading. Ha, I love this joker for sure. I even have been racing Slalom on it.

SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Can I ask why you are selling it in our local craiglist?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    Can I ask why you are selling it in our local craiglist?
    I have it listed on here, pinkbike, my city's craigslist (Albuquerque) and the two largest neighboring markets (Phoenix and Denver) for exposure. People look in different places for bikes and I sold my Santa Cruz 5010 over the summer by advertising on Colorado's craigslist. If you read my ad on Craigslist, it should say the bike is located in Albuquerque. Thanks for asking.
    Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???-img_20171004_153939976.jpg
    Last edited by foggnm; 10-04-2017 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    But why are you selling your new bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I wanted to add more to my above review as now I've had about 4 months on the bike. I have the 29er. What I've realized is this bike is really made for someone that values playfulness/agility over stability. I have changed my riding style on this bike. I ride a lot more over the front wheel and tend to find every little rock or feature I can to pop or jump off. I just got back from a ride and did about a foot high bump jump off a rock that was probably only a couple inches out of the ground. All this playfulness does come at a price. The Sight is not really stable at high speed chunky terrain (which is a big part of the terrain where I live). And the bike easily shifts sideways when roaring over bumpy terrain. It has taught me a lot about riding loose and just letting the bike do its thing and move around a bit. However, this kinda movement would probably not suit a beginner very well. My previous bike was so hard to knock off line that changing to the Sight is making me take a more active role in the control of the bike. While at times this is frustrating, I think it will benefit my riding in the long run by giving me better handling skills. I did end up putting a Fox 36 150mm on the front and it was a big improvement in small bump compliance over the Pike and only raised the axle to crown measurement by 6mm (I measured). I probably would have put a Fox 34 140mm on it, but figured the 36 would be easier to sell when the time comes. One amazing thing about this bike is that even with 150mm fork, the front end doesn't wander or lift on really steep climbing which always surprises me. To summarize, I stand by my initial impressions of this being a very FAST and agile bike that sacrifices stability over chunky terrain. Would be great for a rider that likes to take control but might not suit someone that wants a bike to bulldoze over everything without any rider input.
    Last edited by foggnm; 12-24-2017 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I recently purchased a 2017 Norco Sight to replace (maybe) a 2017 Giant Stance. While for me the Stance does what it does very well, it is somewhat limited as a single track bike. What I was looking for was a bike with more travel, but still very responsive, a bike that would do well on very tight trails but also would better handle larger obstacles and rocks.

Initially my local lbs offered a Hightower 27.5+ for a very attractive price (being that I had bought the Stance only a couple of months ago). I was able to demo this bike, and while I thought it would be fun to be able to roll over practically anything with the 27.5+, I found the bike to be sluggish and slow in tight trails. I considered a set of 2.4 tires and wheels for the hightower, but it dropped the bb by about ½”.

I then tried a alloy Bronson, which was more of what I was looking for. It was a very versatile bike, climbed and descended well. I wasn’t able to demo it in on tight trails, but while I wouldn’t consider it a bike that you could flip around, it was at the top of my list. I would have loved to have been able to demo the 5010, but couldn’t find one.

As I was leaving the lbs that had the demo Bronson, I stopped at a bike shop nearby that carried Specialized. Though he didn’t have a Stumpjumper in my size, he recommended a 2017 Norco Sight A7.2 that had been marked down significantly. The build, a Monarch RT and Pike, sram gx with nx crank, Minion DH immediately got my attention.
    I couldn’t find the alloy version to demo, and would have to spend another $1200+ for a similar build for the Bronson. Based on a limited number of reviews, and the geometry of the bike, I took what I thought was a small risk that the Sight A7.2 wouldn’t work the way I wished.

The bike shop set up the bike as a starting point. I was able to ride that day, and started on technical single track that climbs about 650’ in about ½ mile. The climb has tight, steep switchbacks that rob you of your momentum, followed by rocks or root step-ups. The Stance’s rear end always had difficulty with such step-ups. The Sight had no such problem. While it accelerated out of the switchback similar to the Stance, the suspension’s rear end bumped right over the step-ups.

At the top of the hill, I reversed my route, coming back down. Again the bike was well-behaved and carried speed very well. I continued down the hill into a tight technical single track. I had to change my position slightly back as compared to the Stance. I also beat my knuckles up trying to get the 780mm bar between some of the trees. Ledges that I had trouble with on the Stance were no issue with the Sight. The only problem was the front tire tended to bounce up on a couple of squared ledges, rather than go forward.

The next several days were rain and snow, so I played around with my fork settings, and adjusted air pressure and rebound damping. I also trimmed my bars to 680mm, and changed to a mavic wheelset. The bars and wheelset dropped the weight down to 30.1 lbs.

Once the weather had a temporary break, I took the bike out, and the changes to the fork were spot on. The front tire tracks very well, stays on the ground, and had been chatter free over rock gardens.

A couple of days after that, I rode singletrack that climbs (more or less) for the first 2.5 miles, followed by downhill for another 2.5 miles. The bike really climbs well, keeps traction, and allows you the ability to maneuver for the best line. In spite of this, I found the rear end to be soft. Also, the Mavic Quest Pro tires, which have been great on a dry trail, loaded up after going through a couple of patches of mud. I did have to go to my 32/42 a couple of times during the climb. I’d like to go to a 28t on the front, but the NX crank will only accept a 30t.

Following my ride I checked the shock air pressure. It was 185 psi, not the 210psi I thought my shock was set to. I guess I didn’t cycle the shock well enough when raising the pressure. I again pumped it up to 250, it cycled back down to 210, pumped it up to 250, and it cycled back to 220, and so on, until I got it back to 250 psi. I set the rebound dampening to dead center.

A day or so later I took the Sight out for a 45 min ride to check out the rear suspension. The shock pressure and stiffer rear end didn’t take away from absorbing roots and small bumps, and sharpened the steering, something I wasn’t expecting. Rear tire glided over small bumps and roots but still wanted to bounce a little when I hit square-edge lips. I slowed the rebound dampening by 2 clicks then re-rode some of the technical parts. The damping changes eliminated any rear wheel hop.

A couple of items: The bottle cage position will only take a regular bottle. Though I changed to a Mavic wheelset, the oem wheelset was actually pretty good. The Mavic wheelset saved just over ½ lb. I’m not sure how much of that was the tires or the actual wheels. The lbs set up the WTB stock wheelset tubeless, and I don’t think they had to re-tape, just add sealant.

Due to the weather, I’ve only had this bike out a handful of times. I found the suspension very easy and predictable to set up. Most of my riding has been (and will be) technical singletrack. For singletrack, the bike is exactly as I would have it: quick, predictable, and no surprises. Having said that, I can’t wait to get up to Pisgah and Dupont to see how it responds on more open trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by manodpickr View Post

The only problem was the front tire tended to bounce up on a couple of squared ledges, rather than go forward.

Rear tire glided over small bumps and roots but still wanted to bounce a little when I hit square-edge lips.
    Good review. These were exactly the thoughts I had on my Sight 29er. The front end would pop up going over bumps and the rear would also push up going over ledges. Despite a lot of tuning changes, I could never get the bike to offer the bump-absorbing performance I wanted. It really never gave me the confidence I was hoping for descending because of this. I ended up selling mine and buying a Hightower LT, which rips down hill and is much more forgiving going over square edges.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just bought a 2017 Sight C 9.3! I was thinking about the alloy 2018 but my local shop had a screaming deal on a carbon 2017, so I went for it. I haven't had a chance to go for a real ride yet, but I can't wait. I was looking for a great 29er trail bike, as my current 27.5 fs bike is good but I missed the Big Wheel feeling.

It is a medium and with my nylon pedals and tubeless, weighs 32 lbs.

Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???-e7bac5zl.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Nice one, I'm sure it'll fly!

I'm a bit surprised by the weight. You can upgrade bits and pieces over time which will drop that though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    Nice one, I'm sure it'll fly!

I'm a bit surprised by the weight. You can upgrade bits and pieces over time which will drop that though.
    True. The guys at the bike shop said the wheels are a little heavy on this model. That plus the Norco brand bars and NX cassette probably add some weight. But it feels light.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm running the same cassette and wheels on my 2017 A7.2. The 1150 cassette is not too bad, but you can save about 70 grams going to the 1175. My Mavic EA Elite wheelset was lighter but not by much. As I remember, the total weight savings was about 240 grams. Bars and stem was about 80 grams total (changed to 31.8).. The only other area I'm considering is the crank

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My 2015 Alu Sight (medium) comes in at between 13.9kg and 14.2kg (inc pedals), depending on the tyres I'm running. The "light" wheelset has a Sunrace 11-40 (11sp) with Nobby Nic 2.6 + Rocket Ron 2.8. The heavier wheelset has a Sunrace 11-46 (11sp) with Rekon 2.6 and DHF 2.6. The actual wheelsets themselves are within 50g of each other.
    - 9.6kg with wheels removed
    - 2kg in the wheelset itself
    - Remainder in cassette, rotors, tyres + sealant etc

I don't have a light build bike. 160mm fork, Zee brakes, dropper, no carbon bits etc. It started life as an A7.2, although I think the only original parts are the frame, headset, seatclamp and saddle.

edit: I should add, yes the Norco stem + bars are boat anchors

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I had my first real ride yesterday on my new Sight! Oh my god! It is amazing! It has that marvelous balance of agility and stability, nimble enough to dance down singletrack but still rail on bermed corners. I missed 29er wheels and their ability to just roll over anything! I also found the suspension to be super smooth and have that bottomless feel. I thought my old Diamondback Release was pretty good, but this is a class above that no question. The fit and finish is gorgeous too. As you can tell, I am in love! On roots and rocks that my old bike hit and absorbed, I still felt some shock. The Sight just makes them disappear yet feels light on the climbs. Black magic I tell you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As a quick update, I changed the bars to some carbon risers, went with a 60mm stem, new WTB grips and put my WTB Rocket Team saddle with Ti rails and the weight went down to 31.5. Loving this thing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hello everyone. Currently I have 2017 C9.1. I am just debating if I got the right size or not and wanted to see what others have been doing. I fall between a medium and a large at between 5 foot 9 and 10. I bought put on a 35 mm stem but haven't had a chance to ride it much since then. The jump from medium to large is quite a gap on this frame so puts me in a bit of a tough spot decision wise.

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well, I'm 5'9" and went with the medium. As noted above, I added a longer 60mm stem and it feels great. But I have a shorter torso in relation to my legs, so the much longer top tube on the large felt too long for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    my buddy just spent 3 days demo'ing the alloy site (top build kit) and rode it hard all weekend. he was blown away. he also had a good demo of the new Instinct and said the Sight is way more fun, just as efficient going up. he rallied that bike hard on all our jankiest trails and did a number of long single track climbs and i'll be surprised if he finds a bike he likes better. we'll be heading to Bellingham and he's got a Smuggler demo scheduled which is in the same category but fairly different geo- longer and slacker in front, steeper seat tube, not as much travel. i know he will love that bike, but i think it's going to be more radical in geo than what he's on now and the Sight. and smaller fork. he had that love look in his eyes for the S, like it was the perfect woman.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was considering the Smuggler too when I was bike shopping. But I have no doubts now that I have ridden the Sight for a while. I changed to 30T to a 28T as I was missing a little on the low end and it is just perfect now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if anyone has one of the blue medium 29 frames or completes they want to part with pm me

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A big thanks to the Norco guys at the Sea Otter Classic this year. They hooked me up with some cool Sight socks, stickers and a red Norco stem cap!

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thoughts on crank length vs BB height? The EVIL Following has a 1mm higher BB and 10mm less travel but all sizes ship with 170mm cranks. How is the 29er Sight for pedal strikes? Would it benefit from a 170mm crank length?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looking for suggestions on tuning suspension. Bought a sight for wife who only weighs 110 lbs. to her it feels a bit harsh. Fox 36 and DPX2. Have taken all tokens out of fork. She surprised how well it climbs but small bump in rock gardens just not there yet. Maybe needs to be revalved? Have heard the DPX comes valved firm. Looking for suggestions.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    29 or 27.5? The 29 has very firm valving. A retune or a shock w/ a different tune will work wonders in either size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for reply. It’s a 27.5 small. Think I should start with a shock retune first? Would a a regular fox float vs DPX be any different?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Start with using less air pressure. Then slow down the rebound setting a bit

mtbr member
    Anyone here riding a L Sight C that is around 5’8”? I can only get a L as M is no longer available in the C9.1 and I think it will be fine with a 33mm stem however it’s hard to know... tried a M with a 40mm stem and def felt tight-ish.

Bike felt great otherwise!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I’m between 5 foot 9 and 10. On a large with a 35mm stem. Had to use a 125mm dropper rather than 150mm to make seat height what I wanted. But riding it is great

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I’m between 5 foot 9 and 10. On a large with a 35mm stem. Had to use a 125mm dropper rather than 150mm to make seat height what I wanted. But riding it is great
    Cool cheers for that. I pulled the Pin on the L C9.1 and got a 31mm stem, see how it goes. Hope the saddle height will be ok with 150mm dropper, however I am getting the new saint pedals which are slimmer than the DX I am used to... hope it works. However, any excuse to sell the Reverb!

high pivot witchcraft
    Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???-fullsizeoutput_4d.jpg
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

#TravisBickleLegendsNEVERdie

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sweet ride! Love the tire/rim matchup.

In regards to the earlier posts about sizing, I'm 5'9 and love my medium. I did switch to a 60mm stem and it feels great. I used to ride a large Diamondback Release, but felt a bit stretched on that bike. The Sight is just perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    [QUOTE = cunningstunts; 13627081] mi amigo acaba de pasar 3 días demostrando el sitio de la aleación (kit de construcción superior) y montó todo el fin de semana. él se sorprendió. también tuvo una buena demostración del nuevo Instinct y dijo que la Vista es mucho más divertida, igual de eficiente. Remontó esa bicicleta con fuerza en todos nuestros senderos jankiest e hizo una serie de escaladas largas de una sola pista y me sorprendería si encuentra una bicicleta que le guste más. Nos dirigiremos a Bellingham y él tiene una demo de Smuggler programada que está en la misma categoría pero bastante diferente: más larga y floja al frente, con un tubo más inclinado, no tanto de viaje. Sé que le encantará esa bicicleta, pero creo que va a ser más radical en geo de lo que está ahora y de la Vista. y tenedor más pequeño. él tenía esa mirada de amor en sus ojos por la S, como si fuera la mujer perfecta. [/ QUOTE]

Hi!What did your friend do after trying the Smuggler?Shigt or Smuggler?

high pivot witchcraft
    Update -- I made some changes. Swapped out the E*13 wheelset and tires for a We Are One/DT 240 Insider wheelset and a 2.3 DHF/DHR2 combo, and saved 1.7 pounds. I also swapped out the Reverb for a Fox Transfer and Wolf Tooth remote. Also, I ditched the Ergon grips. Not for me. The Chromag grips on there now are 100x better (for me anyway). I also put a Specialized Power saddle on it.

Holy crap. This bike is frickin incredible. I don't know where to begin.

It is one of the best climbers of all the bikes I have ever owned (about 18 in total). It rails -- and I mean RAILS corners. I can drive the rear tire into to ground and drift around corners better then any bike I have ridden.

But the downs...that is where the fun begins. I can pop this off pretty much anything. I have never ridden a bike with the style I am using on this one. I search for things to air off of. And I was never much of an air guy before. Very planted actually. Well that is no longer.

But...if I want to straight-line it through the gnar, no problem. In fact, this bike is better at mobbing straight through shit than my Range was. Now maybe it's the 29 wheels. Or the Fox suspension. Not sure. But my times are way quicker on this bike not only on the ups, but on the downs as well.

Part of that is because once I reach the summit, I have WAY more gas left in the tank than with any other bike I have ridden (and I spent 2 weeks solid demoing bikes). I have more than enough strength for the downs to toss this bike around like a rag doll. I can totally manhandle it, because the climbing is effortless at times (and climbing is not my forte). I reach the summit fully refreshed. This, actually, is the first bike that has got me excited about climbing.

But I also reach the trailhead after a sustained, non-stop descent, ready to do another ride. This bike really is effortless to ride, on the ups, the downs, and everything in between.

It is so awesome to be able to take suspension out of the equation. I found that 160mm on my Range was plush, but also dead. And on the flats it was a squish bomb, and not in a good way. This bike, at 130mm, is much firmer where it counts, but I can still blast through the gnar as fast as I can possibly go, with no fear.

I could not be happier. This is the funnest bike I have ever ridden, let alone owned. I know that most bikes these days are really decent bikes, but this one beat out the heavyweights during my 2 weeks of demoing. I even brought the best rider I know with me the second day I rode the Sight, to make sure I wasn't losing my shit. He and I swapped pedals and bikes all day. He agreed with me. This beat out everything else. And not by a little bit either.

This is a bad ass bike. BAD. ASS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    so, er, you like it then?

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    so, er, you like it then?
    Sorry if that was too over the top.

It's the truth though.

I never seemed to be able to really get a good connection with my Range. I fiddled with that thing for 3 years. I am just happy I seem to have found what I was looking for, even though I stayed with the same manufacturer. It was a bit of a risk, and a dark horse for sure, but things worked out perfectly. For that, I am very happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I love that someone is as enthusiastic about the Sight as I am! I love this bike. I agree that it does want to fly. My old 27.5 bike was totuted as being ready to launch off everything, but it never did to me. However the Sight really does launch and I am finding myself feeling more comfortable on drops, jumps and just being up in the air. It also has increased my confidence on skinnies, bermed walls, just all over really. So is so smooth and capable!

Here is a recent photo of my beauty, Black Panther.

Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???-jakhtuxh.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody ridden the new 2017 sight? Reviews???-jakhtuxl.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yep, the Sight rules. I absolutely love mine as well.

SEI Racing

high pivot witchcraft

high pivot witchcraft
    Yep, the Sight rules. I absolutely love mine as well.

Are you a Norco rep?

mtbr member
    Are you a Norco rep?
    No, just an old racer on a race team that gets access to the Norco tent.

SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Update -- I made some changes. Swapped out the E*13 wheelset and tires for a We Are One/DT 240 Insider wheelset and a 2.3 DHF/DHR2 combo, and saved 1.7 pounds. I also swapped out the Reverb for a Fox Transfer and Wolf Tooth remote. Also, I ditched the Ergon grips. Not for me. The Chromag grips on there now are 100x better (for me anyway). I also put a Specialized Power saddle on it.
    Which build kit did you start with and what weight did you get it down to? Considering a Carbon Sight (in an XL) but worried about the weight after demoing an aluminum one.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi guys, my Norco journey started in 2015 when I bought a new Sight C7.2, absolutely loved the bike, pedalled extremely well, composed downhill, perfect for my local riding trails.

At the start of this year I was in 2 minds, either upgrade my 2015 Sight or buy a new bike. The decision was pretty much made for me when I won a set of carbon wheels in a competition (which was one of the upgrades I wanted to perform) so along with the new wheels I put a new fork (DVO diamond at 150mm), new shock (Cane creek DB IL coil) and new cockpit (Deity copperhead stem and Blacklabel 787 bars in platinum)

With the new upgrades it totally transformed the original trail oriented characteristics of the Sight into an absolute all mountain destroyer.

3-4 months after upgrading my 2015 Sight after a super dusty ride I noticed a section of my frame, behind the shock, didn’t have any dust on it, upon inspection it was a crack in the frame where there seemed to be a “seam” in which the 2 halves of the frame were bonded together.

So off to my local Norco Dealer I went, he rang the distributor here in Australia and bam warranty was approved within a week. I would’ve been happy with a replacement 2015/2016 Sight frame but there were literally none left, even in the Norco warehouse in Canada.

So the distributor offered me a 2017 C7.1 frame instead and threw in a 2018 Fox DPX2 shock since my DB coil wouldn’t fit in the updated frame

The only other parts I needed were a boost rear hub and a 31.6mm seat post.

I couldn’t be happier with how the frame swap turned out, the updated geometry is subtle but does make a difference especially descending over the 2015 model.

I was worried how I would go going back to an air shock after spending time on a DB coil but the DPX2 has been pretty flawless so far so will keep it on at the moment. Plus there isn’t many trunnion mounted coil shock options at the moment.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Also just about to give the Oval chainring thing a go

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice! Good to hear that Norco has such a good customer satisfaction ethic!

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    Which build kit did you start with and what weight did you get it down to? Considering a Carbon Sight (in an XL) but worried about the weight after demoing an aluminum one.
    Norco had no complete bikes left so I ordered one through the "Build Your Ride" option.

Large black 29er frame, Fox Kit suspension (36 Factory and a DPX2), and the L/XL Kit 1 component kit. I almost immediately ditched the E*13 wheels and tires and ordered We Are One Insider wheels with DT240 hubs and CX-Ray spokes, and put a 2.3 DHF/DHR2 combo on them.

Got it down to 29 pounds, which is not all that impressive weight wise. I guess it's not too bad considering it's got beefy rubber on it, a 36 fork and a piggyback shock. I also swapped the crank for a RaceFace Next R (which seems to incite a lot of MTBRers). I also swapped te Reverb for a Fox Transfer, and threw a Specialized Power saddle and Chromag Basis grips on it. Good to go.

I spent the long weekend in Fernie BC, and just got back from a nice tasty ride tonight. That bike is incredible, even at 29 pounds. It just does EVERYTHING unbelievably well.

All I wish is that it had a remote for the DPX2. The trail mode is unbelievable for climbing, and the open mode is THE BEST suspension setting I have ever ridden in the gnar at speed. I only wish I could flip the switch a little easier on the fly. Maybe I will get used to doing it down below and it will become second nature.

I just can't say enough good about that bike. And trust me. If you look up some of my past posts about my Range, I didn't exactly sugarcoat my dislike for it. Nothing I am saying is bullshit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a question about chain length. I have a 2017 carbon 29er and I wonder if the chain is too long. It has been shifting great, but when in the smallest 3-4 cogs in the rear, the derailleur cage is parallel with the ground. This is the only bike I've had that does this. The only change I've done in the drivetrain is going from the stock 30T to a 28T. But even with the original ring, the chain looked the same.

No shifting issues but it just looks funny. Is this common or did the shop just err on the safe side given the suspension movement?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I wanted to mention that after some research I took all of the bottomless tokens out of my Yari fork. It always felt harsh with an abrupt ramp up, even after experimenting with different numbers of tokens and pressures. I read online (posted by the guy who made the Vorsprung Lufftkappe) that the 2017 Yari RC 140mm already has a firm ramp up due to the Motion Control dampening.
    Well long story short, the fork feels great! For my riding, it is way more plush and sensitive, but still not blowing through its travel (at 30%sag). I think the tokens are really meant for the upper level forks, not the base Yari.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Many here commented that the bike is climbing very well. I have a norco optic c2 right now, looking for something smoother going down, but love how it climbs. How much of a difference will I see with a Sight, both up and down?