Any Torrent 7.1 Owners?- Mtbr.com
    MCMXCV

Any Torrent 7.1 Owners?

I am really thinking about adding a Torrent 7.1 to my stable. I love the spec vs price (minus the brakes/rotors, but that's a fairly cheap and easy fix).

Any news or 1st hand opinions are much appreciated.

mtbr member
    According to Norco's dealer website those aren't due to ship till late December 2015.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

MCMXCV
    Thanks for the info!

Stucco Bucket
    is this still solid info? I called my local and he never called back. I guess he's not interested...

mtbr member

7.2 here

I picked mine up today. Sweet bike.

I usually ride a medium (90mm stem with 12D sweep) but the Large with 55mm stem felt great (5'9").

It's the first MTB I've purchased in 6-7 years (Scott Scale 29er first year it came out). The Torrent is mix of 29er and Fatbike - exactly what I was looking for.

I plan to swap out some of my favorite parts off my Scott which should trim some of that 29lbs off.

Any Torrent 7.1 Owners?-profile.jpg

Any Torrent 7.1 Owners?-weight.jpg
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Can you guys tell me if the Torrent will take a 29er wheel and tire in the rear?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Can you guys tell me if the Torrent will take a 29er wheel and tire in the rear?

Yeah it can, i was building one up in our shop and tried it out with a set of mavic crossmax wheels front and rear. lots of room

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    any chance there is room in the rear for the hodag 3.8? Im gonna look at this in bike shop tomorrow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmerz View Post
    Yeah it can, i was building one up in our shop and tried it out with a set of mavic crossmax wheels front and rear. lots of room
    Good to know, thanks.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Any ideas about max rear tire size? Since NN is far from 3.0 I'm concerned about true clearence. If Torrent takes 3.0 easily I'm pulling the trigger.
    :)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simen View Post
    Any ideas about max rear tire size? Since NN is far from 3.0 I'm concerned about true clearence. If Torrent takes 3.0 easily I'm pulling the trigger.
    I'm not sure where you got your number from, the 3.0 NN on my Torrent is 2 7/8".

Schwalbe offers NN in two different sizes for 27.5+, were you thinking of their smaller 2.8" tire?

Any Torrent 7.1 Owners?-schwalbe-3.00-width.jpg

With the 3.0 NN there's still a good 1/2" clearance around the seat/chain stays and the fork arch. I figure a 3.25" front & rear would be the maximum.
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm on a 7.1 right now. Awesome, awesome bike. I've never fat biked, but I've 29er'ed for 4 years prior to going 27.5 (non-plus). Riding this bike reminds me a lot of SS - gotta get her up to speed and stay off the brakes. Speed is def your friend on this bike and the harder you ride, the better it gets. The Yari fork is pretty cool. It's no pike, but the 35mm stanchions are confident and I'm still messing with the dials. There's a bunch of clicks btwn open and close, but I just ride full open on everything save long climbs. The Scrapers are a good match. The GX is impressive. It's obviously heavier than higher end SRAM but I like the feel at the lever. Almost feels like Shimano. We'll see if it's as durable as Shimano. Got set up with a large when I should be on a M, but like another poster, the L actually handles really well. Still gonna get a medium if I buy (5'8"). So far the most fun I've had on this bike is short, hard thrashes in the wood and ANYTHING downhill! It climbs fine, but that rotational weight will get to you. Did a long XC ride (~25 miles) that would be hard on anything more than an XC bike and it wasn't so fun. Just some initial impressions...

MCMXCV
    ^ Good info, thanks!