Any thoughts on the new 2017 Torrent?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

Any thoughts on the new 2017 Torrent?

I have read good things about this bike. Anyone have one yet? Looking to get into my first Norco. Would this make a good bike for easy trail riding and some single track?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I picked one of these up a few weeks back and am really impressed. Norco nailed it as far as building an aggressive trail hardtail. However based on this:

Quote Originally Posted by geo253 View Post
    Would this make a good bike for easy trail riding and some single track?
    I would say take a look at the Fluid HT+ instead. I actually struggled between these two myself...the Torrent is all about aggressive riding, while the Fluid looks like it lands more solidly in the "all around" hardtail class. It comes in at significantly lower cost too, which is nice.

So what terrain are you really going to ride? I'm happy with my choice, but I basically wanted a sloppy weather full suspension alternative that could handle rocky, rooty technical single-track. For anything less I'd have gone with the Fluid.

Edit: Just realized you didn't specify FS or HT, so take my comments accordingly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cykelk View Post
    I would say take a look at the Fluid HT+ instead. I actually struggled between these two myself...the Torrent is all about aggressive riding, while the Fluid looks like it lands more solidly in the "all around" hardtail class. It comes in at significantly lower cost too, which is nice.
    I'm currently going back and forth between the Fluid 7.2 HT+ and Torrent 7.2 HT+ and I can't decide!

Here's my situation:
    -I plan on riding and keeping this bike for a long time - it will be my only bike. I want to keep it in good shape and won't be riding it full tilt all of the time. At the same time, I want to buy a new bike with up to date parts/components that can handle rough trail riding when the need arises, and that will (hopefully) stay (somewhat) up to date for several years.
    -I'll be riding this bike approx. 60-70% of the time on trails with technical climbs and steep, rowdy, root-filled descents. The other 30-40% of the time will be spent on random terrain (atv trails, gravel roads/paths etc- kind of just messing around on them).
    -I enjoy both climbing and descending.

I can't decide if the Fluid will be enough bike to handle my trails/riding over several years, or if the Torrent will bet too much bike for a fair portion of the riding I'll be doing.

The Fluid looks like a nice bike but the thing I'm most hesitant about it is the 141mm rear QR. If I'm going to spend $2K (taxes in) CAD on a new plus hardtail I'd like to have the thru axle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I can't speak to the Fluid HT, but I recently purchased the 2017 Fluid 7.1+ FS and I absolutely love it. This is my first FS bike and first + size bike. I'm able to to ride very rough, rooty, technical stuff with ease.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I know, what's the deal with the 141 rear QR on the '17 Fluid.

I was looking to pull the trigger on the new Fluid because I really don't need 140mm travel, 120mm is fine for where I ride. I was hoping to get a new '17 Torrent, but was a bit disappointed that it went to a longer travel fork and boring black...yes I know, this is vain, but I was hoping for a nice color like last years Aqua.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MiggySawdust View Post
    I was hoping for a nice color like last years Aqua.
    I know what you mean. I looked at the Torrent because of last years colour.

I ended up getting a 2017 7.1 but I wish it was not all black. Even if the stickers were teal like the Range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I'll definitely report back next weekend when mines done! Bought the frame only and my current build is as follows

Large 7.1 frame
    Fox 34 140mm fit4 performance
    Guide rsc brakes
    Xo shifter
    Xo derailleur
    Xo 10-42
    Gx crank with direct mount 28t one up
    Sun ringle duroc 50 (45inner)
    Wtb trail boss 3.0 front and rear
    Chromag fubar osx 780 (will cut to 760)
    Race face respond 45x10

Suuuuuuuper stoked for this. Just waiting on my bb and chain.

Forks actually set to 150mm. Will be riding it at that untill my back ordered 140 spring comes in Stock in 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone happen to know if the torrent 2017 140mm is ok to run at 120mm I was curious about ru nning it at 120 as a bikepacking rig. 120 at 67.5 hta sounds like the ticket for fun and excitement. 66.5 seems too slack for long distance mountain climbing.

Was curious about bb height

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Anyone happen to know if the torrent 2017 140mm is ok to run at 120mm I was curious about ru nning it at 120 as a bikepacking rig. 120 at 67.5 hta sounds like the ticket for fun and excitement. 66.5 seems too slack for long distance mountain climbing.

Was curious about bb height

Well, I'm 99% confident that they didn't do a new frame between the introduction of the bike in 2016 and now. The 2016 7.2 came with a 120mm fork, and the 2016 7.1 came in at 130mm out front.

HOWEVER, Norco was somewhat lazy, using the same geo chart for both models. It seems that going from a 130mm fork (2016) to a 140mm (2017) only raised the bottom bracket a single millimeter off the ground. Seems like a low change to me but I'm not an engineer.

If you are building your own frame up, then perhaps select a 120mm fork with an Axle-to-crown measurement on the longer side. This could make up for your bottom bracket height issues.

All that said, a slightly higher BB height isn't the end of the world on a bikepacking rig, and even if it seems like it'll be low, most people would have a hard time telling 175mm cranks apart from 170mm ones... always an option there too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The bb height isnt as much as a concern as the general slackness of the bike. 140mm with a 66.5 HTA is a little sluggish for me. i love the bike but Im thinking now a 130 at 67degrees will be a great all rounder where I would avoid going form 140/120 depending on my mood.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Kikoraa, I have a Torrent 7.1 HT+ frameset on order. Do you know if it comes with headset, seat collar and/or rear axle?

As for the Fluid 7.2 HT+, I bought one two weeks ago and love it. I just wanted to do a custom build so I'm selling it and building up a Torrent frame since they don't sell the Fluid frame by itself. So if anyone wants a 2 week old Fluid with about 10 miles on it, let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It comes with all 3. however, the headset "cups" are actually machined into the headtube of the frame and you just drop the bearings in. no actual cups to press in. it was strange and I'm kind of worried about the longevity of the frame so i guess we shall see.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks, Kikoraa. Excited to build this rig up! Pikcing it up on Friday, build it that night and ride Pisgah in western NC every day for the next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's a great bike for sure. I had a 150mm fork on there and dropping it even 10mm to 140 made it come alive. such a playful steed.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Got her built! Torrent frame, 27/150 Pike, XT brakes, Stan's Flow wheelset, Maxxis Rekon 2.8 up front and 2.8 Ikon in the rear, matching black and green Niner RDO 780 carbon bars, matching green Raceface 32T Evolve cranks, XT shifter/derailleur, Sunrace CSMX3 11-42 cassette and a RS stealth Reverb dropper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@njcshreds
    Nice build! Enjoy it.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
    Nice build! Enjoy it.
    Thanks! Loving it so far! Having a slight issue with the crank arm rubbing the drive side chainstay. Anyone experience this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You don't have the right spacers in your bottom bracket or you're not using a boost spaced crank.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    You don't have the right spacers in your bottom bracket or you're not using a boost spaced crank.

Thanks Kikoraa. I talked to RF this morning and it's not compatible (not sure why) so I threw on my XT crank. Kind of like the all black look. Will use the green ones on my white and green Niner.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    26.6 lbs without pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I wonder when the 2018 model hits the website?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Damn the colour of the 2018 Torrent 7.1 is sexy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Fisher View Post
    26.6 lbs without pedals

Hi Will. What size frame? Nice weight for that build! I'm building up a 27.5+ this winter and the Torrent has caught my eye - even more so after seeing your weight. Any clue what a size L frame weighs?