Aluminum Sight 29er for enduro- Mtbr.com
    > 55
    Aug 2014

Aluminum Sight 29er for enduro

My son is going to purchase the A1 Sight this spring. Anybody have any experience racing the AL Sight in enduro races?

Yea, I know the 29er Range is Norco's enduro bike, but he is going for something more versatile. He is recovering from a knee injury this spring, can only own one bike (can only afford one), and will use it for some easier XC / NICA races and enduro races.

Thanks for any input.

Gerry.

mtbr member
    What kind of terrain? If it's typical EWS/bike park level stuff (basically DH racing without a DH bike) he'll be at a disadvantage. If it's more moderate terrain, he should do pretty well with the Sight. I know I'd have no qualms about using my 29er Sight for the local Enduro races. It's certainly fast enough, though I might need to be a little choosy in lines vs point and shoot like the guys with the big bikes.

Trying to keep up with the XC guys on their superlight rigs is the bigger challenge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ooh! A chance to talk about my Sight. I took home my 2018 A2 29er at the start of this season, and while I haven't raced on this particular bike, based on my bit of experience racing at the back-of-the-pack masters level, the bike would not be the thing holding me back. It's familiar and comfortable (at least for me) straight off the showroom floor, and it only gets better as you get the personalizing touches dialed in. Based on the position of the O-ring on my shock, I obviously routinely find the bottom, but so far I haven't felt it.

I used to think I needed a DH bike in the stable, but based on a combination of budget constraints and general comfort with this bike, Im okay with this being my "big" bike, which happens to also be fun for my everyday trail rides.

It ain't light, though. Maybe the A1 is lighter, but it's no XC race bike in A2 trim. I, also, am not XC race light, so this is okay for me. Ymmv.

As a do-it-all bike, it's awesome.

> 55
    Aug 2014
    clintj / thaumaturge
    Thanks for the replies. Don't see too much info or rider reviews on the Sight.
    Our intent to is purchase a good all around bike. We realize this is a compromise choice.

He has his current 27.5 enduro bike to fall back on if he races any enduro races (California Enduro Series — World-class enduro events that everyone from amateur to pro can enjoy! ) later this fall. NICA XC races will probably need to be on a loaner bike.
    Last edited by gerryl; 05-05-2019 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    All of the reviews I bookmarked were specific to the A2, but close enough, I figure. Here are some professional reviews to help affirm your decision:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...-a2-29-review/
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-s...-sight-a2-29er
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aZW5yo5AixU
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...o-sight-a2-29/

You're right, it *is* a compromise, but I would try some timed runs on his current enduro bike vs. the Sight before committing one way or the other as to which will be better for each event. I may have undersold it based on my ability, but when pointing down hill, the Sight feels fast. I have no emperical data to back that up, though.

mtbr member
    The Sight is enough bike for the likes of Utah (Moab and St George), and I've posted some pretty fast Strava times with it, especially this year as I'm more familiar with it. I've got the fastest times in my local club on a few downhill segments, as well. It's a fast bike, and I don't feel like I've hit its limits yet.

Heck, I posted respectable times at Targhee against people demoing DH and Enduro bikes at the last festival/demo day.

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/XxLA-DOnnsM

And another review for you.