7.1 fluid- Mtbr.com

Thread: 7.1 fluid

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

7.1 fluid

I just bought the 7.1 fluid today and can't wait to take it. I don't get it until Wednesday. Its my first FS bike.

I hope its as good as it seemed in the parking lot.

Anyone on here tried it and if so what did you tnink ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So today was the maiden voyage and other than the wider handle bars I must say it seemed awesome. Still need do dial in both front and rear to the right suspension but seemed fasted all around. I can't believe this bike hadn't sold more fore the price and components

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congrats. I've been seriously considering the 7.1 in the last few weeks. But the reviews suggest that the bike is a bit porky. I actually lifted one at an LBS and it did feel heavy, at least heavier than my 28lb trail bike. This is confusing because the 7.1 has gotten fairly decent components on....do you think it's the frame that's heavy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I honestly i don't notice that its heavier when riding. Its been amazing so far. I would recommend it to anyone. Although I don't get to caught up in the weight side as I don't race and just enjoy my time on the trails. For the money its a tough bike to beat.

I would take the plunge if it fits you

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's good to know. It's a bit of a mystery why this bike isn't popular. The Fluid is an incredible value and beats its competitors (Thunderbolt, Anthem SX, Fuel, 5010) by a large margin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I agree. Must have a small dealership base. For the price I can't see another bike beating it.

Take one for a ride I think you will be impressed

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just placed an order for a blue 7.2. I test rode a 7.1 on a trail last week and I really liked it but the 7.2 made more sense in my case because I'm swapping the wheels, fork, chainrings (1x10), etc. right away. I'm really excited.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Congrats! You will love it. Its a great bike. Post pics once you get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metol View Post
    It's a bit of a mystery why this bike isn't popular. The Fluid is an incredible value and beats its competitors (Thunderbolt, Anthem SX, Fuel, 5010) by a large margin.
    For whatever reason, the Fluid gets a bit lost in Norco's lineup. It's a great bike, period, but it seems to be in that awkward zone where people will want to save up an extra $500 or so and step up to the Sight or Range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Its so true. To me the norco line is stacked top to bottom based on price.

Tough to bet head to head.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    For whatever reason, the Fluid gets a bit lost in Norco's lineup. It's a great bike, period, but it seems to be in that awkward zone where people will want to save up an extra $500 or so and step up to the Sight or Range.
    You are probably right about most people. But I'm very glad the Fluid is part of their lineup because a shorter travel, slackish 27.5 bike with a lowish BB height fills a nice niche for people like myself who want more than XC but don't want to go as tall as AM/trail. The Fluid felt quite different from my 140mm trail bike. Of course I'm trying to justify my purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2012

7.2 has been great so far

So I've had my '15 Fluid 7.2 almost 2 weeks now and have ridden various types of trails but mostly single track XC stuff. The bike is amazing. What I like about the bike the most is that I feel much more confident when riding a little aggressively in comparison to my other bike Stumpjumpfer FSR 26" (now stolen). The shorter stack height and lower BB height made a noticeable improvement in the way the bike rides in corners, at least for me. My pedals are hitting the ground more often but I feel this is something I will be able to learn to compensate.

It took a while for me to dial in the suspensions. Right now I'm at 25% sag front and back which is probably a bit on the larger side given that this is a 120mm travel bike. But the bike rides great with this setting for the kinds of trails I frequent (single track, berms, 1' or shorter drops).

I'm not sure if it's due to the geometry or to the 27.5 wheel size which is new for me, but I find it a bit difficult to keep the front wheel steady when going up twisty, steep sections. The other thing I'm still struggling with is the fore-aft weight distribution. The rear of the bike seems heavier than what I was used to with my previous bike and this shows when I attempt jumps.

The weight of the bike was a major concern but I swapped many parts and my bike currently weighs a little under 27 lb down a few pounds from the stock (31 lb). I can totally live with the weight. Overall the bike is exactly what I desired - a short travel, slackish HT, lowish BB xc/trail bike. It's a super fun bike to ride.

I was a bit sentimental about this bike purchase because it replaced my beloved '12 Stumpjumper FSR that was stolen along with two other bikes last month. I'm still sad but my new Fluid is helping me to heal. I received awesome service and deals from This Bike Life in Spokane. Thanks Josh, Morgan, and Kevin! Oh, I originally ordered a blue but changed my mind at the last minute and went with black/red.

7.1 fluid-img_3624b.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Glad to hear the bike is working out for you. I have the same color scheme and love it.

What did you change to get the weight down that much?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Weight savings mostly came from the fork (CTD Factory 120), wheelset (Stan's Crest), and 1x10 conversion. I ended up paying quite a bit more than the stock 7.2 retail price but I also got huge discounts from the LBS on the bike and parts

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Some nice upgrades! Did you ride it stock first? Just wondered how it compared too this set up? As I was looking for weight savings options

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Some nice upgrades! Did you ride it stock first? Just wondered how it compared too this set up? As I was looking for weight savings options

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks! No, I did not ride the stock bike. I rode a stock 7.1 around the parking lot but it didn't tell me much. The 7.1 I borrowed to test ride on the trail was highly customized. I think I lost the most from the wheels which saved more than 700 grams. The CTD fork and 1x10 conversion saved at least 300g each. Tires, handlebars, cassette, tubeless setup each brought the weight down by 100-200 grams. The crankset (Deore) wasn't very heavy once you convert it to 1x10. Shifters, derailleurs, brakes also were fine. I came from a 28lb trail bike that had an average weight wheelset (2000g) and my 7.2 seems to climb or accelerate a little better than that bike. I attribute that to the lighter wheelset and tires on the 7.2. I'm pretty sure the stock 7.1 or 7.2 rides great, but the wheels would be the first thing to look at if you want lose some weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking for more weight saving tips on the 2014 Aluminum Fluid 7.1. It is my wife's bike so durability wont be a issue. Looking at cranks, seatpost, bars. Will keep it 2 X 10 for now too. Great bike. I ride a Aluminum Range and a Carbon Sight.
    Last edited by eastsiderider; 11-22-2014 at 03:24 PM.