2020 Optic- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2020 Optic

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

2020 Optic

Who's ridden one/owns one and how are you getting on with it?

Looking at adding a bike between my Smuggler and Enduro, have been looking at Yeti's, until I cam across the Optic, which ticks a lot of boxes.

Picked up a stumpjumper evo the other week, didn't get on with it at all, headtube is really low, so you lose a load of reach once you've got the bars at the right height. Its since been sold on ebay after two rides!

Anyone know what the shock dimensions and fork offset are?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    shock is 190 x 45.

Fork offset is 42mm.

As I mentioned to you via Instagram messenger, a great bit of kit!

mtbr member
    It looks like a wicked bike alright, would be top of my list if I were shopping this year. But in regards to the OP's question; would there be enough separation between the Smuggler and the Optic to justify both?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    But in regards to the OP's question; would there be enough separation between the Smuggler and the Optic to justify both?
    There is a high possibility that the Optic would replace the smuggler.

However, the Optic is a fair bit slacker and a longer than the smuggler. In fact its pretty close to the enduro.

Also having two bikes that are close isn't a problem, just means I can have the smuggler setup for xc (midweek rides) and the Optic can be setup for the weekend (trail/enduro type riding), for when I dont want something as big and steamrollery as the enduro.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OPTIC for the Pinkbike bike of the year win!!

I just threw a leg over one at the shop - they finished the build while there... I banged if off some curbs, parking blocks etc... not a real test frankly but enough to sense there is something really good going on with this bike

fork was way to stiff, seat was too low, but shock was about 29% sag... I slowed the rebound and it settled in to my version of a lot test nicely. Fit and "feel for fit" was really spot on even w the longer dimensions than my current bike and seat height off, bars too wide etc... still "felt" decent which kinda surprised me. Btw this and the Sight - which does "feel bigger and longer" - cuz it is, its likely gonna be tough call but I sure do see the potential for it as a shorter travel trail crusher

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Random Q, but has anyone seen the estimated weight for the frame and shock only?
    Thanks!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'd take a guess at it being around 3200. This was based on the C2 bike being 13.8kg and then taking the weights of all the components off

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Random Q, but has anyone seen the estimated weight for the frame and shock only?
    Thanks!
    My large frame w/ shock weighs 6.77 lbs. (3.07 kg). That's without the chainstay protector.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here's my C1, coming off an Intense I notice the extra weight and it's certainly no XC bike in terms of pedalling performance but it rips down hills.
    I've changed the wheels to LB carbon and got rid of the XTR brakes for Hopes.

https://www.facebook.com/Astroracer/...type=3&theater

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Komdotkom View Post
    Here's my C1, coming off an Intense I notice the extra weight and it's certainly no XC bike in terms of pedalling performance but it rips down hills.
    I've changed the wheels to LB carbon and got rid of the XTR brakes for Hopes.

https://www.facebook.com/Astroracer/...type=3&theater
    Looks good mate. What Intense were you riding? I'm on a 2015 Tracer, but will be getting a new bike this year. Looking at the Sight or a Nukeproof Mega.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir HC View Post
    There is a high possibility that the Optic would replace the smuggler.

However, the Optic is a fair bit slacker and a longer than the smuggler. In fact its pretty close to the enduro.

Also having two bikes that are close isn't a problem, just means I can have the smuggler setup for xc (midweek rides) and the Optic can be setup for the weekend (trail/enduro type riding), for when I dont want something as big and steamrollery as the enduro.
    N+1 right? My vote is have all 3.☝️
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill ll

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    N+1 right? My vote is have all 3.☝️
    In the end I ordered a Reactor 290, couldn't bring myself to buy a bike from Evans. Norco need to sort themselves out a proper distributor in the UK, they didn't want to get hold of a frame only and I was loathed to buy a C1 just for the frame.

Also bought a Scout 290 and a Privateer, so complete change in the bike fleet!