2020 Optic - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Optic

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    oooh interesting! what colours?! much change to the spec?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by aoizip View Post
    The One Up bash guard is quite good, i had it on my Tallboy and had it smacked at rocks and didn't have issue. installation was easy as you don't need to remove the ring nor chain.
    I bought that one, doesn't work because the 2 mounting holes are in the wrong spots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Anyone else with paint issues? I've had mine for 3 weeks and just noticed this today when cleaning it. I haven't crashed. When I rub it more paint peels off. I kind of thought an almost $6000 bike would have a better paint job. My 5 year old scout had nothing even remotely close to this. Interested to see what Norco says.

2020 Optic-img_20200713_205916.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skibunnie2 View Post
    I bought that one, doesn't work because the 2 mounting holes are in the wrong spots.
    Yes I am not sure what Norco were thinking when they only put two of three ISCG tabs on the bottom bracket. I am running the OneUp chain guide as I don't trust only one tab to stop the taco breaking and doing more damage than it is meant to prevent.

The chain guide helps keep the chain quieter and reduces chain wear. I am also running a Wolftooth CAMO stainless chain ring so other than a really hard pointy rock it has a fairly high inherent bash capability anyway. The weak point is always the chain receiving an impact that twists or breaks it.
    SRAM Eagle AXS awesomeness
    2020 Norco Optic SRAM We Are One Custom
    2020 Norco Sight C9 SRAM We Are One Custom

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone else with paint issues? I've had mine for 3 weeks and just noticed this today when cleaning it. I haven't crashed. When I rub it more paint peels off. I kind of thought an almost $6000 bike would have a better paint job. My 5 year old scout had nothing even remotely close to this. Interested to see what Norco says.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200713_205916.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	1348603
    The Enduro Mag review of the Sight also commented on the weak paint on the aluminium version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    That sucks. Did you get a chance to put an invisiframe or anything on? My mate had the same issue on his Commencal Furious. He contacted warranty and they offered him cash or a brand new replacement bike.

I thought that was so good of Commencal and he had a brand new bike in less than a week

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Wow impressive customer service by commencal! I did the basic ride wrap on larger and higher wear areas but not in this spot... I'm debating covering the chip with some ride wrap but I also want to put some cover up paint on first. I'm worried that if I cover it and then take the piece off it will pull a bunch more paint off with it. But also by leaving it uncovered I'm risking more damage. Not sure what to do!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Wow impressive customer service by commencal! I did the basic ride wrap on larger and higher wear areas but not in this spot... I'm debating covering the chip with some ride wrap but I also want to put some cover up paint on first. I'm worried that if I cover it and then take the piece off it will pull a bunch more paint off with it. But also by leaving it uncovered I'm risking more damage. Not sure what to do!
    Speak to Norco. They are generally excellent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Yeah, well if it has flaked that easy I would say the invisiframe will definitely pull more paint off, if you decide to take it off. As said below I would contact Norco and see how you go.

Itís pretty much a brand new bike so surely they will warranty it.

Speaking of problems tho, has anyone had any dramas with the rear thru axle on their Optic? I went to take my rear wheel off the other day and I swear the axle was near seized. I nearly snapped my T-handle hex key and partially stripped the axle. My friend with a C3 also had the same issue and is waiting on a new axle through warranty

mtbr member
    I had a similar issue with the thru axle on my Revolver. Seems like the thru axles are prone to seizing, plus the well for the hex seems really shallow. I actually stripped the one on my Revolver and was only able to remove it because the drive-side end is also keyed for a hex. Ended up getting a replacement from the Robert Axle Project which is really nice.

At the very least I strongly recommend greasing threads and head of the thru axle.

Quote Originally Posted by sjames88 View Post
    Yeah, well if it has flaked that easy I would say the invisiframe will definitely pull more paint off, if you decide to take it off. As said below I would contact Norco and see how you go.

Itís pretty much a brand new bike so surely they will warranty it.

Speaking of problems tho, has anyone had any dramas with the rear thru axle on their Optic? I went to take my rear wheel off the other day and I swear the axle was near seized. I nearly snapped my T-handle hex key and partially stripped the axle. My friend with a C3 also had the same issue and is waiting on a new axle through warranty

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by v7fmp View Post
    i am also interested in this. I cant see how the lack of travel would make the megneg work in any negative way. If you had good results on your enduro, I would hope for the same on the optic.
    Not sure if anyone else has answered this for you but I'm fairly certain the shock stroke being only 45mm is too short for a megneg.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by deleted content View Post
    Not sure if anyone else has answered this for you but I'm fairly certain the shock stroke being only 45mm is too short for a megneg.
    Yes you are bang on, the smallest megneg is Air Can Upgrade Kit - MegNeg 185/210X47.5-55mm Part no: 00.4318.028.000

But I am sure that someone will try it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBikeGuide View Post
    Yes you are bang on, the smallest megneg is Air Can Upgrade Kit - MegNeg 185/210X47.5-55mm Part no: 00.4318.028.000

But I am sure that someone will try it.
    Actually not correct, the MegNeg you cite will fit the Opticís shock. Rockshox makes 3 body sizes for the Superdeluxe, and each body size is generally used for a variety of stroke lengths. Norco had a custom short-stroke version of the SD made for the Optic, normally you canít get a 45mm SD. So the body on that shock is the correct size for the smallest MegNeg, it just has a spacer to reduce travel by 2.5mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post

Actually not correct, the MegNeg you cite will fit the Opticís shock. Rockshox makes 3 body sizes for the Superdeluxe, and each body size is generally used for a variety of stroke lengths. Norco had a custom short-stroke version of the SD made for the Optic, normally you canít get a 45mm SD. So the body on that shock is the correct size for the smallest MegNeg, it just has a spacer to reduce travel by 2.5mm.
    Good to know. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

@Drewbird good to know. That makes total sense that it will fit the body and it is the body size that is important (in this instance).

It is funny how Norco got on the "let's reduce the shaft travel by 2.5mm this design iteration" program with the Optic and Sight.

I respect that it means they are going for a very specific tune to get the best out of the bike for a wide range of rider sizes and abilities and as a bonus the Sight rear shock isn't based on being rammed full of positive volume spacers so there is some room for air spring tuning.

I have had no performance issues with my Optic as it has been easy to tune for great traction right from the get go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

it just has a spacer to reduce travel by 2.5mm.

so can we removed the spacer and get a bit more travel? Assuming nothing fouls on the frame/shock/wheel?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, just like every other bike doing this (which is like, half these days seems like).

However - it's going to throw off the leverage curve a little bit. On some bikes it's not problematic and on others it might be. Also more risk of hitting your seat/other stuff with the wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok, I'm getting pretty excited for my 2021 to arrive, which should be around the end of this month. I'll be picking up a C3 in a to be determined colour, and I'll be trading most of the parts from my current ride with the C3 parts.

Unlike the rest of the folks here, I think I'm going to try to cut a bunch of weight off this as it's replacing the trail bike I've been riding for the last 2.5 seasons: A carbon hardtail with a 130mm front fork. As such I'm wanting it to climb similarly. I know y'all are riding these bikes hard and up-forking them with thick downhill tires and the like, but between my Aurum HSP and an another enduro bike in the works, I think I'm cool if I XC-ify my Optic, if slightly.

How does the super deluxe do with standing and hammering efforts? I know Norco's platform has always done really, really well with seated efforts, and the new bikes are only better as I've been told. Any other fat boys want to comment if this gets noticeably worse once you tip the scales past the 200 lbs mark? Thoughts on swapping to a custom tuned remote lockout DPX2?

mtbr member
    Honestly the Optic would not be my pick for a bike to ďlight bikeĒ. If anything Iíve taken mine the other way. I got a C3 and have now swapped pretty much everything but frame and shock. Lyrik Ulimate dropped to 140mm, Code RSCs with 200mm rotors, 210mm dropper. Still ~30lbs and pedals great. Iím running XTR, carbon wheels and the lightest tires I feel are reasonable, and Iíve done some big days on this bike. But compromising on the important stuffóbrakes and suspension especiallyówould not be my recommendation.

Itís a pretty portly frame relative to others; if you want to go light Iíd look for a Transition Spur or even Norco Revolver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I don't know why I'd pick up a Revolver 120... They're rather portly for their class and when they were released they were already a year or so out of date. Don't get me wrong, the revolver 100 is a cool bike, but over-forking and shocking bikes isn't always a ticket to success. The revolver 120 might be a cool marathon bike, but where I am? Probably not.

ALSO, light is relative. I'm 220 lbs, and my XL Carbon-almost-everything-xx1-hardtail build still came out just shy of 29 lbs. I'm not looking

I wouldn't compromise suspension. Still keeping a DHX2/Ultimate DH and probably the pike. BUT I think Kovee 29mm internal wheels, a much lighter drivetrain and a couple other points might go a decent way to carving it down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    I don't know why I'd pick up a Revolver 120... They're rather portly for their class and when they were released they were already a year or so out of date. Don't get me wrong, the revolver 100 is a cool bike, but over-forking and shocking bikes isn't always a ticket to success. The revolver 120 might be a cool marathon bike, but where I am? Probably not.

ALSO, light is relative. I'm 220 lbs, and my XL Carbon-almost-everything-xx1-hardtail build still came out just shy of 29 lbs. I'm not looking

I wouldn't compromise suspension. Still keeping a DHX2/Ultimate DH and probably the pike. BUT I think Kovee 29mm internal wheels, a much lighter drivetrain and a couple other points might go a decent way to carving it down.
    You could probably get it down to around 12.8kgs or something like that for size large if you really tried. There was a bike check on vitalmtb. It had lightbicycle rims and xtr gear.

I thought that was pretty impressive but you would have to spend a lot of extra money to drop that extra kg or so if you donít have the C1

mtbr member

Youíre basically describing my build. Iím a 190lbs rider in the PNW where both climbs and descents are long and steep. Bought an XL C3 and changed pretty much everything. My finding was that weight savings in some areas (wheels, drivetrain, cockpit) were mostly offset by better but burlier components in others (brakes, suspension.) So I didnít shave a ton of weight but have a much better ride.

The ďlightĒ side of the equation: C3 frame with carbon NOBL/I9 wheels, carbon bars/light 40mm stem, XTR drivetrain. Been running Schwalbe Snakeskin MM/HD tires that came on the bike, though I added lightweight inserts (PTN R-evolution, ~70g each) just because Schwalbe casings are scary thin.

The ďbut I wonít compromise on ride qualityĒ side: Lyrik Ultimate @140mm fork (pike is a bit of a noodle if youíre over 150lbs IMHO), 210mm OneUp dropper (actually lighter than the stock X-Fusion 170mm unit!), Code RSCs with 200mm rotors. Not sure how the 2021s are specíd but the 2020 came with resin-only 180mm rotors (címon Norco!) and bottom-end Shimano brakes that definitely had to go.

This build is just a shade over 30lbs with pedals and bottle cage. Itís an extremely fun bike that I would not hesitate to drop in to double-black steep tech on, but have also happily pedaled for 5+ hour backcountry missions. I have a long road trip coming up that will include both some shuttle days and some long pedal-powered rides, and Iíll be taking the Norco rather than my 2020 Enduro.

2020 Optic-img_0206.jpg

mtbr member

Come again???

Ok, I'm getting pretty excited for my 2021 to arrive, which should be around the end of this month. I'll be picking up a C3 in a to be determined colour, and I'll be trading most of the parts from my current ride with the C3 parts.

Unlike the rest of the folks here, I think I'm going to try to cut a bunch of weight off this as it's replacing the trail bike I've been riding for the last 2.5 seasons: A carbon hardtail with a 130mm front fork. As such I'm wanting it to climb similarly. I know y'all are riding these bikes hard and up-forking them with thick downhill tires and the like, but between my Aurum HSP and an another enduro bike in the works, I think I'm cool if I XC-ify my Optic, if slightly.

How does the super deluxe do with standing and hammering efforts? I know Norco's platform has always done really, really well with seated efforts, and the new bikes are only better as I've been told. Any other fat boys want to comment if this gets noticeably worse once you tip the scales past the 200 lbs mark? Thoughts on swapping to a custom tuned remote lockout DPX2?
    Can you elaborate a little on the 2021 models? You are already getting a 2021model by end of this month? I donít even see Ď21 released yet... Shocking that everyone has not jumped in asking about this.

mtbr member
    I assume it's just new colors and some altered/updated parts spec. Given that he says he doesn't know the color he's getting, and is really just after the frame, I assume other details are probably spotty.

It'd be nice if they'd do a budget Shimano build with Deore/SLX, though Norco seems pretty married to Rockshox suspension so likely getting deals on SRAM stuff too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah pretty much spot on. Sorry, I'm not going to spill the beans any more than I have already. You'll have to wait for the public launch. I put myself down for "whatever colour arrives first".

And Drew, the 4600 CAD build for a carbon bike with a top spec dh shock wasn't budget enough?

mtbr member
    Yeah pretty much spot on. Sorry, I'm not going to spill the beans any more than I have already. You'll have to wait for the public launch. I put myself down for "whatever colour arrives first".

And Drew, the 4600 CAD build for a carbon bike with a top spec dh shock wasn't budget enough?
    Maybe itís pink.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Maybe itís pink.

Thatd be ok. The womens sight c3 from this year is incredible in person.

mtbr member
    I don't think they offered an Optic with Shimano drivetrain besides the C1 with XTR for over $6k USD, right? I'm thinking a "C3" equivalent but with SLX/Deore instead of the dreadful NX crap on the current builds. It's hard to overstate how much better Shimano's budget stuff performs than Sram's.

PPS
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Me again!

To me it feels like the bottom bracket is loose. I can feel some play in the crank area when climbing. The shop says they don't feel it. Thats the best way I can describe it!

Sorry this is so vague, just thought someone else may have experienced this and have a solution. Thanks again!
    Did you ever figure this out? I'm having a similar issue, brand new, checked torque on all bolts - feels like somethings going to fall off the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi Guys,

I want to switch my rear shock to the Fox DPX2, what size of mounting hardware do i use? i checked the manual and it seems the mounting hardware is for the Ultimate DH shocks.

the Ultimate DH is great on the down, but with my weak sauce leg i really do want a lock out for those long dreaded fire road climbing days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Inline coil

Anyone else running a coil yet? I just put a CC inline coil on my 2020 Optic. I'm 160 lbs, and I wasn't super impressed with the factory rear shock. It felt relatively harsh, and I felt like it could use a climb switch. In other words, it seemed like a compromise for both uphill and downhill.

I noticed a pretty dramatic difference right away with the coil. It's much more sensitive and supple. The leverage of the Optic is pretty progressive, and I think it matches well with a coil. No bottom out issues. Still rides nice and high in the travel, but it's so much smoother. I'm sure you lose a touch of pop...

Using the climb switch also felt like a significant improvement over climbing with the factory Super Deluxe.

To each their own, but figured I'd let people know that it's a solid option. I'm running a 2.00 x 450lb VALT spring. As most of you probably know, there isn't much weight difference between the factory shock and an inline coil. Even less if you run a Fox SLS spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aoizip View Post
    Hi Guys,

I want to switch my rear shock to the Fox DPX2, what size of mounting hardware do i use? i checked the manual and it seems the mounting hardware is for the Ultimate DH shocks.

the Ultimate DH is great on the down, but with my weak sauce leg i really do want a lock out for those long dreaded fire road climbing days.
    40mm x 10mm
    20mm x 8mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Interesting to hear your thoughts re: a coil. I figured unless you're running one of those fancy progressive springs you'd be bottoming the sucker out all the time given that Norco packs in the max number of volume reducers (most progressive) in the Ultimate DH.

Personally I'll get a custom tune done over the winter if I love the bike rather than going coil - I had one done with the DHX2 on my Aurum HSP and my goodness is it amazing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but 2021 C2 specs + photo
    https://www.99bikes.com.au/norco-opt...-red-jade-2021

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by with_the_band View Post
    Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but 2021 C2 specs + photo
    https://www.99bikes.com.au/norco-opt...-red-jade-2021
    Yeah nice! I just rang my local bike shop and they said there is a shimano/fox build available as c2 as well. Think he said there was a small price rise for the fox build. Meant to be a blue colour.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Yeah nice! I just rang my local bike shop and they said there is a shimano/fox build available as c2 as well. Think he said there was a small price rise for the fox build. Meant to be a blue colour.
    interesting to see Fox options, as i thought the whole design was built around the custom RS rear shock? And thats one of the reasons the bike got such rave reviews?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    very interesting the pix w fox options show the x2 mounted rightsize up....

mtbr member
    Interesting for sure, will be curious to see the options. That pic with the X2 is definitely strange, not least because it's a 2020 X2, not the new-new. And I think the shortest eye-to-eye on the non-trunnion X2 is 210mm, so hard to see how they stuff one of those into the Optic. I'd guess the DPX2 would be the more likely spec; that's what Fox/Norco athletes have on their Optics (see e.g. Bryn Atkinson in the launch video).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That's a rendering. None of them come with X2's. Art guy got a little lazy and probably recoloured a sight he had on hand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you think the factory shock is harsh, do the 50hr service. In fact I would recommend this as the first thing you do with the bike, 50hr rear service and lower leg service on the front its a night and day difference.
    Although it does wallow a bit on the climbs the climbing traction is incredible on this bike, even with a Minion SS I can ride it hard out of the saddle and not have traction issues.

mtbr member
    I canít see how a coil, maybe even with a progressive coil, would not be constantly bottoming out. Regardless, if itís working for someone thatís cool. Iím easily using 90%+ of my travel on most trails. I normally change the shock out in most my bikes but Iím quite happy with the stock Ultimate DH. It does bob on climbs but itís not that bad, my ShockWiz reported no issues. I ride in SoCal which is dry loose, pebbly, & dusty and Iíve got no issues with harshness other than there are certain hits in which Iím reminded that it's a short travel bike despite the geo. As a result in some fast hard hitting sections I need to be a little more mindful than I do on my Nomad. As Komdotkom said, do the 50 hour service. It takes an hour, maybe two if youíre obsessive and itís well worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd like to see this bike using the little extra stroke of a 50mm shock - I bet it would yield a pretty amazing ride and especially if not stuffed to the gills w volume reducers like the 45mm stroke - no shock wizard here, but if across the board for size and weight the ultimate requires the max volume spacers, tuning kinda goes out the window... just my .02c... also in the huckster's to flat video Pinkbike did - seemed to be lots of room left btw tire and seat post at bottom out...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I mean.... tuning doesn't really go out the window.... It just limits the way it can be tuned via air volume. Which is just one factor of many. Besides, you can always remove them. So really you're only half limited in that one factor. Ha!

also wait, is 190x50 trunnion a thing? I'm not sure it is.

mtbr member

Response from Norco

Interesting for sure, will be curious to see the options. That pic with the X2 is definitely strange, not least because it's a 2020 X2, not the new-new. And I think the shortest eye-to-eye on the non-trunnion X2 is 210mm, so hard to see how they stuff one of those into the Optic. I'd guess the DPX2 would be the more likely spec; that's what Fox/Norco athletes have on their Optics (see e.g. Bryn Atkinson in the launch video).
    I emailed and asked about Ď21 Fox:

ď I'll bet it's just due to consumer demand to be honest. A lot of people did ask for Fox options, especially since the launch video with Brynn running Fox on this bike.

Either way that Super Deluxe DH is a pretty special shock!ď

mtbr member

also wait, is 190x50 trunnion a thing? I'm not sure it is.
    Not a thing as far as I know; I believe trunnion eye-to-eye normally ends in 5: 185, 205, 225 are the normal trunnion sizes. Non-trunnion metric ends in 0: 190, 210, 230. Various stroke length are available for each eye-to-eye and that can be changed with travel limiting spacers, with the Opticís semi-custom 190x45 being a prime example.

Personally I have no major complains about the Super Deluxe. The bike climbs really well, is fun as hell downhill, gets airborne really easily but still handles rough repeated hits as well as any bike in its travel bracket that Iíve tried. I use full travel frequently but never feel a harsh bottom-out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yeah - all good stuff on this bike really - armchair "tuning" on my part. I ended up w a Ripmo right as Covid lockdowns started hitting and Optics were out of inventory so fast - we've since moved to a diff part of CO (our happy place away from the front range) where my daily riding would likely be better suited on a bike like the Optic frankly... don't get me wrong - for what the Ripmo AF is - its a dang amazing all around and capable bike... but I was and still am intrigued about the Optic... new frame colors for 2021 look great and if I can get the new Silver frame/black logo I could likely swap most all my Ripmo build over and be pretty killer! (and not even get a notice by the w I f e )

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    has anyone bumped fork travel up to 150mm on their optic?

I really don't want to mess with the way the bike rides, as I think its perfect, but there are a few more/easier to get hold of options in the 150mm fork category.

any feedback is appreciated!

mtbr member

I really don't want to mess with the way the bike rides, as I think its perfect, but there are a few more/easier to get hold of options in the 150mm fork category.

I just replace my Pike select with a Float 36 Grip 2 140mm. It is amazing compared to the Pike. I immediately sold the pike. My buddy has an extra 150 air spring I am going to try. I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    so after watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auw7Dmn_kcA

i popped the aircan of the super deluxe dh open and removed 2 tokens. first ride was a day in the local bike park. took a couple of laps to get the shock setup again. overall, rear suspension feel much improved. better traction on the climbs without giving up any efficiency (that i noticed). initiation and small bump compliance much improved. on bigger hits the back end still felt plenty progressive and i noticed no decline in performance at speed; used full travel a few times but never felt it bottom out

admittedly i'm light for my height (165 lbs / 6'2") but given how much better the shock has performed i'm having a really hard time understanding why norco shoved the aircan full of volume spacers from the jump. messing around with the ride align app they never recommend anything less than 4.5 for even the lightest, smallest, and most timid rider; makes no sense to me

mtbr member
    I have a MegNeg sitting in my parts box that Iíve been meaning to put on the Optic. Iíve done this on another bike and the difference is remarkable: Much more active around sag but also great midstroke support. If I do this Iíll definitely take some spacers out; the huge negative chamber means you typically run ~30% more pressure, so you need fewer spacers. Definitely an interesting one for the tinkerers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

I have been running a 2021 Lyrik Ultimate at 150mm on my Optic since day one. Awesome fork and the bike handles brilliantly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Bashguard Norco Optic 2020

Hey so bringing this back to the short discussion earlier about a bashguard for the Norco Optic. Since it only has two ISCG-5 mounts (top, and bottom forward of the bottombracket). I bought this Funn Zippa Lite bashguard off Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/product-review...ews-filter-bar) but found out its designed to be used with a frame with 3 ISCG-5 mounts and attaches to the bottom two front and rear of the bottom bracket.

Does anyone have a recommendation for bashguard to use with the Norco Optic?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    When I first built my Optic I installed the One Up Bash guide (which I had ordered before I knew that they had dropped the third mounting point). It obviously fits but I was worried about the potential damage to the bike and crank if I hit it hard and bent it into the chain ring etc. So I removed it and replaced it with a One Up Chain guide: https://can.oneupcomponents.com/coll...uide-iscg05-v2

As stated by One Up the main purpose of the chain guide is to help reduce chain wear and assist the XSync II/ NW teeth hold the chain when things get rowdy or during a back pedal (film a mate smashing through a rooty rocky section with a focus on the drive train some time and you might be shocked at the abuse it is receiving).

If I had to have a bash that had some kind of structural integrity I would use the Wolftooth CAMO bash spider as it is direct mounted to the crank (and the then the chain ring bolts to the spider). https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...pider-for-sram

I still think that this is an error on Norco's part as they market the Optic as a 'get rowdy' short travel bike and then force you into a bash solution that transfers any shock to the bottom bracket bearings rather than being dissipated into the frame (which has been designed to take a bash or three).

As a guide I have seen a lot of broken 12 speed chains (and chain ring teeth) because of a simple chain ring tag on a log or a rock. Whilst the 12 speed chains might have got stronger from a drive aspect, due to technological improvements, from an impact point of view they are thinner and lighter and more prone to breaking or warping if impacted hard on an obstacle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a MegNeg sitting in my parts box that Iíve been meaning to put on the Optic. Iíve done this on another bike and the difference is remarkable: Much more active around sag but also great midstroke support. If I do this Iíll definitely take some spacers out; the huge negative chamber means you typically run ~30% more pressure, so you need fewer spacers. Definitely an interesting one for the tinkerers.

Please let me know how this goes and it is something that I have been considering trying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    so after watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auw7Dmn_kcA

i popped the aircan of the super deluxe dh open and removed 2 tokens. first ride was a day in the local bike park. took a couple of laps to get the shock setup again. overall, rear suspension feel much improved. better traction on the climbs without giving up any efficiency (that i noticed). initiation and small bump compliance much improved. on bigger hits the back end still felt plenty progressive and i noticed no decline in performance at speed; used full travel a few times but never felt it bottom out

admittedly i'm light for my height (165 lbs / 6'2") but given how much better the shock has performed i'm having a really hard time understanding why norco shoved the aircan full of volume spacers from the jump. messing around with the ride align app they never recommend anything less than 4.5 for even the lightest, smallest, and most timid rider; makes no sense to me
    That doesn't actually surprise me much as I had a 2018 Range that came with a Float X2 filled with volume spacers and on the advice of Leo Lokkonen of Pole Bicycles (we were at the Trans-Madeira ), who is a proponent of running suspension as open as possible, we removed all five spacers and increased the air pressure slightly (only what was required to achieve 30% sag) and the bike was far more sensitive to trail obstacles and I had a lot more traction.

That has to be taken with the fact that I am not a hucker so the occasional bottom out (which was never harsh anyway) was preferable to losing initial sensitivity and low and medium speed traction in order to have a shock that ramped up faster after the mid travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am looking for a do-it-all bike and really stuck between the Optic, the Occam, and the Hightower (probs not the latter).

I see running a 150mm fork is no problem, has anyone tried running a DVO Topaz shock/ another 190x50mm stroke shock to increase rear travel slightly?

Just hoping to eke out every bit of compliance for double black PNW stuff... but will also be used on flat, flowing terrain!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've actually been a big proponent of setups that stray towards the linear side of things - marketing makes people think they want hyper progressive setups but the reality is I don't think most people are good enough to warrant adding tokens on tokens to their forks and shocks. Maybe the situation changes slightly when Norco maxes them out from the factory, but generally when someone comes in to the shop and is like "yeah dude I run 6 tokens in my Lyrik because I saw so-and-so fast person do it" I usually think to myself "what a moron". If you aren't going 200 km/hr, you either won't have any support off the top (way too low PSI to help justify your stupid tokens) or your fork doesn't do anything at normal human speeds. Which isn't to say progressive setups don't work for many people, but I think the max-token hype is pretty silly.

Personally, I love higher than recommended PSI, more linear setups. We'll see how this preference rolls over to the Optic if mine arrives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I saw the same review posted above and started experimenting with fewer tokens on mine -- i went from 1 to 0 in the fork, and 4.5 to 2.5 and then 3.5 in the shock.

I'm a fairly aggressive rider, but only weigh maybe 158lbs geared. On my previous 150/160 enduro bike, I really liked the feeling of the fox 36 with 0 tokens, and the X2 with only a couple -- on that bike, taking almost all of my tokens out was something of a revelation to me, and really transformed the way the bike felt for the better.

On the Optic, it's been the opposite. Running 1 shock token less than stock, and ~25-28% sag, it only took me a couple runs down Telonics to realize that I was basically pretending to have the first 125mm of an enduro bike, but nothing after it. Felt really good on slower parts, but at speed it just fell apart.

Actually, with 3.5 tokens and that same sag, i can hard bottom the thing just by bunny hopping it in the parking lot.

Same story with the fork -- 0 tokens (like the youtube guy recommends iirc) with ~25% sag feels amazingly plush, but falls apart when I needed to brake or corner in steep stuff, even with the damping cranked up.

I decided to full reset and go back to ride aligned's recommendations (1 fork, 4.5 shock), and to my surprise the bike feels amazingly controlled. Certainly not as plush at mid speeds, but when I really need it, the suspension is exactly where I want it.

YMMV, and I would absolutely experiment to figure out what works for you, but I have a hard time understanding the guy's outright disdain for the ride aligned settings. The trails he was riding don't seem very steep or fast, youtube effect aside -- on that type of terrain it might make more sense to have the bike on the plusher end of the spectrum -- but for me, at least for now, i'm squarely in the ride aligned camp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by olslash View Post
    On the Optic, it's been the opposite. Running 1 shock token less than stock, and ~25-28% sag, it only took me a couple runs down Telonics to realize that I was basically pretending to have the first 125mm of an enduro bike, but nothing after it. Felt really good on slower parts, but at speed it just fell apart.
    telonics (fast and flowy dh, i think) is pretty much the opposite of the riding i have available locally, which is rough and technical. so perhaps it's not surprising that our setups are so different; the few times i've managed to get my optic up to speed in its ride-aligned configuration, it really sang. i realize it's not the right bike for most of the terrain i have locally, but i split my riding between the east coast and bc and need something that works for both (very different) types of terrain; and it's just sooo much damn fun to ride...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    telonics (fast and flowy dh, i think) is pretty much the opposite of the riding i have available locally, which is rough and technical. so perhaps it's not surprising that our setups are so different; the few times i've managed to get my optic up to speed in its ride-aligned configuration, it really sang. i realize it's not the right bike for most of the terrain i have locally, but i split my riding between the east coast and bc and need something that works for both (very different) types of terrain; and it's just sooo much damn fun to ride...
    oh yeah, i'm struggling to think of any terrain I wouldn't recommend the bike for, short of all day park laps. haven't had a short travel like this for a few years, and i'm really impressed with how well the geo and everything works.

mtbr member
    With the caveat that I havenít messed with my spacers (still running 4.5) on the Optic, I canít imagine it being an improvement. At 6í3Ē/190, Iím running 235PSI, slightly more than the Ride Aligned-suggested 227PSI. At that pressure Iím at about 28% sag, I use full travel on most aggressive trails, but I never feel a harsh bottom-out. Basically I think the bike does a great job of using its travel.

Removing spacers, I canít imagine I could avoid bottoming the bike without substantially increasing pressure and running <25% sag; removing tokens but keeping pressure constant should have a pretty modest effect on sag, but a much greater effect deep in travel. Riding steep and technical PNW terrain with plenty of drops and jumps FWIW.

As mentioned above I have a MegNeg that I might mess with. Those will require a quite substantial increase in spring pressure to maintain sag due to the much larger negative chamber. Iíd probably start at ~280PSI with the MegNeg on, so that should certainly change the bottom-out characteristics!

mtbr member
    With the caveat that I havenít messed with my spacers (still running 4.5) on the Optic, I canít imagine it being an improvement. At 6í3Ē/190, Iím running 235PSI, slightly more than the Ride Aligned-suggested 227PSI. At that pressure Iím at about 28% sag, I use full travel on most aggressive trails, but I never feel a harsh bottom-out. Basically I think the bike does a great job of using its travel.

Removing spacers, I canít imagine I could avoid bottoming the bike without substantially increasing pressure and running <25% sag; removing tokens but keeping pressure constant should have a pretty modest effect on sag, but a much greater effect deep in travel. Riding steep and technical PNW terrain with plenty of drops and jumps FWIW.

As mentioned above I have a MegNeg that I might mess with. Those will require a quite substantial increase in spring pressure to maintain sag due to the much larger negative chamber. Iíd probably start at ~280PSI with the MegNeg on, so that should certainly change the bottom-out characteristics!
    Please rush in doing this as I am considering MegNeg. Will you start with no spacers or the 4.5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Please rush in doing this as I am considering MegNeg. Will you start with no spacers or the 4.5?
    Based on my experience with another bike (2020 Enduro) Iíd remove at least 2 spacers upon adding the MegNeg. Spring pressure increases so much to keep sag at ~30% that with 4.5 spacers I think youíd never get full travel.

The MegNeg is an interesting bit of kit but I eventually took it off my Enduro. On that bike, which has a fairly progressive leverage curve and tons of travel, it has the effect of limiting travel use because of the super-progressive nature of the air spring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So I am close to pre-ordering the 2021 C2 Shimano build.

Has absolutely no one tried increasing the shock stroke from 42.5 to 45mm, for example? I am curious if the DPX2 would contain spacers that I can remove to increase rear travel just a bit, together with a 150mm fork...

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Yeah I am really curious to find this out as well. How much travel would it give the bike if you removed the spacer?
    Also interested to know how the fox shock is on the bike and if the climb switch makes any difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah I am really curious to find this out as well. How much travel would it give the bike if you removed the spacer?
    Also interested to know how the fox shock is on the bike and if the climb switch makes any difference.
    It seems it can be run with a longer stroke shock. Check the comments in this bike of the day on Vitalmtb:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/f...44/setup,40991

Surprised not many others are talking about this here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olivierhacking View Post
    So I am close to pre-ordering the 2021 C2 Shimano build.

Has absolutely no one tried increasing the shock stroke from 42.5 to 45mm, for example? I am curious if the DPX2 would contain spacers that I can remove to increase rear travel just a bit, together with a 150mm fork...
    What is the retail on that c2 Shimano build?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    It seems it can be run with a longer stroke shock. Check the comments in this bike of the day on Vitalmtb:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/f...44/setup,40991

Surprised not many others are talking about this here...
    very interesting!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep, but I just decided not to pre-order the Optic after all.

Honestly, I imagine extending the rear travel takes away from the bike's character. It is meant to be short, bouncy, and fun right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Yep, but I just decided not to pre-order the Optic after all.

Honestly, I imagine extending the rear travel takes away from the bike's character. It is meant to be short, bouncy, and fun right?
    very much so. will removing a spacer effect that much thoÖ? I guess it depends what extra travel you might get.

I love mine the way it is, I kinda just want someone else to give it a go and share the feedback. Same reason I haven't upped the fork to a 150, despite wondering about it.

If you didn't order an Optic, have you gone with something else? Or just waiting until you see one in store?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    very much so. will removing a spacer effect that much thoÖ? I guess it depends what extra travel you might get.

I love mine the way it is, I kinda just want someone else to give it a go and share the feedback. Same reason I haven't upped the fork to a 150, despite wondering about it.

If you didn't order an Optic, have you gone with something else? Or just waiting until you see one in store?
    I am getting the Occam when it is in stock again... I wanted more bailout travel (for bike parks), a threaded BB, lighter pedaling bike that still holds its own downhill. I read the Optic is more stable but also read it suffers on sustained chunk. And this will be my only bike for everything. Also, I prefer my money going to the newest brakes instead of carbon cranks.

I think at least one reason pinkbike and enduro-mtb both were not so positive about the Occam's downhill stability is because of the DT Swiss carboon hoops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I am getting the Occam when it is in stock again... I wanted more bailout travel (for bike parks), a threaded BB, lighter pedaling bike that still holds its own downhill. I read the Optic is more stable but also read it suffers on sustained chunk. And this will be my only bike for everything. Also, I prefer my money going to the newest brakes instead of carbon cranks.

I think at least one reason pinkbike and enduro-mtb both were not so positive about the Occam's downhill stability is because of the DT Swiss carboon hoops.
    nice, a solid choice. I test rode an Occam before the Optic and it was a great all-rounder. Also have a buddy with one, and he really likes it.

There are so many solid choices in this category... what a time to be alive!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    what are people using the mounting bolts under the top tube for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    currently nothing.

I did see in a 'sneak peek' article some time ago on pinkbike that Fidlock were meant to be bringing out a small back that used their system, so I am waiting for that.

It will allow me to stash a few extra's when I know I am going on a longer ride.

Ideally I want something that isn't a permanent feature with the minimal amount of 'mount' left behind when not in use.

Oh and I did try a second bottle cage for long ride, but it fouls on the shock, so that's not an option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Topeak makes a pump mount to fit there, so that's option 1.

Option 2 is anything from the wolftooth b-rad series. I'm personally planning on sticking the mini roll top bag there. Hope it fits well!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New Build

2020 Optic-4c21e7b6-18d1-4c22-8141-5a365888e89a.jpg
    Last edited by nolamonster; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nolamonster View Post
    doesn't seem to work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    doesn't seem to work.
    Fixed it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C21E7B6-18D1-4C22-8141-5A365888E89A.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	1361765
    interesting...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Topeak makes a pump mount to fit there, so that's option 1.

Option 2 is anything from the wolftooth b-rad series. I'm personally planning on sticking the mini roll top bag there. Hope it fits well!
    i've got a pump mount off my downtown WB so sorted for that

ordered a .6L wolftooth bag. hoping i can use the strap for a spare tube when i don't need the whole bag, and/but save that for longer rides. i can post impressions and shock-clearance pics if you like

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sure! There's a ton of companies that are including these mounts on their bikes so I can't imagine it'll be long before there's a whole host of options to mount stuff there. The current carbon remedy has not one, but two of them!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    oooosh, nice cranks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Hi Everybody,

First, sorry, i'm french and i'm not using a translator (too boring)....

I just get a "used" Norco Optic C3 from 2020. I'am coming from a 27,5 Merida one forty...and the feeling is very different....I 'll have to train hard to master the optic (long reach, 29er, funky steering etc...)

I have a bike trip in two weeks and Norco dealer in France are not very friendly with used bike owner...stock are empty and i'm in hurry now...I'm looking for a spare rear mech hanger. Would you please confirm me the sram UDH hanger will feat my optic?

Best regards

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i believe the sram one is slightly different, compare these two:

sram UDH: https://northshorebillet.com/product...79a40dfc&_ss=r

norco UDH: https://northshorebillet.com/product...79a40dfc&_ss=r

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Thanks for the reply, you'are right, they are few difference.

Why their are using the UDH name if not universal

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    anyone selling, or know where I can find a optic frame? (new or used). Norcos seem to be imposible to find.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Only way I can think of is find a dealer near you that had a frame on fall order. Stuff is due fairly imminently but everything coming is pre-sold to dealers for a long time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Off topic question, but has anyone seen the new Trance X review or anything? Looks like a really good all-around package. It received 5 stars on vitalís review

I think the suspension numbers would really suit the Opticís geometry with that little bit extra for bigger days in the bike park or gnarlier tracks.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    New optic builds are up on the Norco website.
    Shimano and Sram options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    anyone selling, or know where I can find a optic frame? (new or used). Norcos seem to be imposible to find.
    I could be persuaded to sell mine, medium C1 frameset only. It's in Australia though so you'd have to pay shipping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird05 View Post
    New optic builds are up on the Norco website.
    Shimano and Sram options.
    interesting to see they have specced a 203mm front rotor now.

After a week riding Finale Ligure on my optic, I can confirm that 180mm front and rear rotors don't leave much left in the tank! my rear rotor turned black

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by olslash View Post
    i believe the sram one is slightly different, compare these two:

sram UDH: https://northshorebillet.com/product...79a40dfc&_ss=r

norco UDH: https://northshorebillet.com/product...79a40dfc&_ss=r
    You are correct. SRAM have based the UDH around a 1.0 thread pitch (ie reasonably precise) and the Norco 'UDH 2.0' appears to be attempting to use up the world's stock of Maxle rear axles with the coarse thread pitch of 1.75 (which allows for lower levels of QC). Funnily enough almost no one has trouble with Syntace rear axles (1.0 thread pitch) and there are a raft of reported jamming issues with Maxle rear axles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    interesting to see they have specced a 203mm front rotor now.

After a week riding Finale Ligure on my optic, I can confirm that 180mm front and rear rotors don't leave much left in the tank! my rear rotor turned black

If you read this article from Enduro-mtb: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/rotor-size-myth/ one should really run a larger disc on the rear wheel which tends to be dragged and heat up more than the front.

As a 98 kg (100 kg as far as suspension set up is concerned due to B-Rad bag and full water bottle) I have moved to 200 mm/ 203 mm rotors front and back on my Sight (my 'big' bike) but kept a 200 mm front/ 180 mm rear combo on my Optic.

I have finally decided that I am going to increase the rear to 200 mm as well. I don't need the additional power but the extra cooling will reduce the rotor and pad wear and in fact the potential extra power might help me use the rear brake less.

It is just too easy to sub consciously use a little rear brake drag for everything rather than be really conscious of where and when one is on and off the brakes. Conscious braking drills are probably something that most riders would benefit from adding to their rainy day skill drill repertoire (like cornering, stoppies, rear wheel lift turns and track standing etc).

If you are about to do a change/ upgrade (and it will be an upgrade) I have recently moved to 2.3 mm thick rotors for the additional cooling (more mass to dissipate heat) and lower chance of rotor warp/ bending if it contacts something on the trail. It has been a very positive and noticeable upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Wolftooth Components B-Rad Mini (water proof) Bag.

Like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEzlcOeniq1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAEWoEPnDOM/

The plate mounts straight to the bottle bosses and then the strap holds the bag to the plate.

I have all this in my bag: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-9wQYynddP/

I have been pretty happy with the set up knowing that between the B-Rad bag and the EDC 100 ml pump (with EDC tool and jabber) clipped next to my water bottle cage I can grab a fresh water bottle and head for a 1-2 hr ride without having to think about grabbing a hip pack or back pack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Nice build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBikeGuide View Post
    Wolftooth Components B-Rad Mini (water proof) Bag.

Like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEzlcOeniq1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAEWoEPnDOM/

The plate mounts straight to the bottle bosses and then the strap holds the bag to the plate.

I have all this in my bag: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-9wQYynddP/

I have been pretty happy with the set up knowing that between the B-Rad bag and the EDC 100 ml pump (with EDC tool and jabber) clipped next to my water bottle cage I can grab a fresh water bottle and head for a 1-2 hr ride without having to think about grabbing a hip pack or back pack.
    Nice. Does the bag contact anything when going over bumps/jumps?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by irck View Post
    Nice. Does the bag contact anything when going over bumps/jumps?
    Not that I notice. But I also asked Ridewrap to cover the bottom of the top tube in that area to protect the frame/ paint.

The strap allows you to really lock it to the plate.

If I was being picky I would say that Wolftooth have sewn webbing onto the bag in order to give mounting options if it is 1/4 or 1/2 full rather than the optimum strap position when it is full.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    I've been riding the optic for 20 ish rides in Golden, BC and here are my thoughts.

I ordered the C2 in the women's build (which is exactly the same except colour so why is it even called women's!?!?!) in January and am still waiting for it to show up due to shipping issues. Should be next week. Since I had already sold my previous bike my shop has been kind enough to let me ride their rentals. So I was on a c3 small for a bit and am now on a c3 medium. I'm 5'5 and while I could have made the small work, the medium feels better. I especially noticed the increased stability on fast downhills, and while it's slightly less nimble in tight corners I'll get used to it. I'm coming off of a 2015 transition Scout which happened to have 140/125 travel as well and was quite slack for its time. So the optic doesn't feel all that different other than the bigger wheels.

I have never ridden a true xc bike but to me the optic climbs incredibly well. I'm not at all in mid-summer fitness yet and have had lots of PR's on the climbs (and on the downhills!).

When it's time to go down, the optic accelerates and holds its speed. I love it on smooth bermy trails best but it's been super fun in more technical terrain too.

The specs on the c3 are fine but I'm looking forward to the better wheels and hubs, gx drivetrain and carbon cranks (though I'm not sure how big a difference they will make!)

I am shocked to see how many people buy the bike and seem to upgrade everything. I've had zero issues with anything. The brakes are great for me (Im a lighter rider) and the post is smooth and responsive. I don't plan on upgrading anything until I need to or possibly bars and grips just for looks.

Are people running the optic tubeless? I'm thinking of trying it, thoughts?

Let me know if you have any questions! Happy to help!

How has the medium been for you this season? I am 5'6" with riding shoes and am undecided on a medium or small. I sat on a medium the other day at a LBS and it seemed right, although I didn't get to pedal it nor did I get to sit on a small. Does anyone else have any insight? With the 2021 season it's looking like bikes are going to be slim again and I won't get a chance to sit or ride on either and may have to purchase it sight unseen.

Test Monkey
    Anybody know if Norco is going to offer a 'build your ride' option for the Optic like they do for the Sight? Love the C1 colorway but don't need full XTR kit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BendRunner View Post
    How has the medium been for you this season? I am 5'6" with riding shoes and am undecided on a medium or small. I sat on a medium the other day at a LBS and it seemed right, although I didn't get to pedal it nor did I get to sit on a small. Does anyone else have any insight? With the 2021 season it's looking like bikes are going to be slim again and I won't get a chance to sit or ride on either and may have to purchase it sight unseen.
    not sure if it helps, but I normally rode a medium, but at 5 foot 9 I just crept into the large sizing recommendation. That's what I went with and haven't looked back. if you sat on it and it felt good, then I would say its a safe bet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12