2018 Norco Ithaqua 2S- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

2018 Norco Ithaqua 2S

I was looking for some input and reviews on this bike and was hoping there might be some members here that could chime in. I don't have a lot of familiarity with Norco Bikes, but their fat bike reputation seems good.

This model comes factory spec'd with the new Manitou Mastadon front shock and a carbon frame which has me really interested in purchasing it. I'm curious as to any ride reviews or input from others on here. Also interested in how this stacks up against other bikes in its same category (carbon frame, front supension etc). Was thinking of the Pivot Les Fat as another option as well.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Trek Farley 9.6 has the same geo with an adjustable rear axle. You add the fork you want.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am a big fan of mine in size small. The only criticism is that to keep a good standover height with the small frame, the top tube gets bowed slightly down. Just a visual thing, but imho it hurts the visual impact/simplicity of the frame. Oh, and although fully functional, the groupset is pretty low rent.

2018 Norco Ithaqua 2S-99ec4eba-9a14-464d-812f-1fcc9ffc9f89.jpg

2018 Norco Ithaqua 2S-238d30b9-3718-46a6-9aea-4e1b4fb4ef32.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding_serpent View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99EC4EBA-9A14-464D-812F-1FCC9FFC9F89.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	1169321
    Wow!! What a great picture. That bike looks like it's ready for battle.

What are your thoughts/reviews on it so far?

My local shop is getting it in next week and I'll finally be able to see it first hand. So curious to compare the build quality, carbon frame, fit, finish, ride quality etc to other bikes in its category.

I'm pretty confident that this is going to be the bike I end up buying. The price, quality and value seem really good for what you get.

Would love to hear your impressions of the bike and experiences so far.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    This is my first fat bike, so i can not say much to compare it. The brakes are strong and progressive, the dropper works fine but the trigger is pretty flimzy. It shifts great, has all the range you need. Although the groupset comes with no bragging rights, it works fine. My view was that with all the mud and snow this bike would see, no use going high end. And fat bikes are heavy enough that there is no use being a weight weenie (though my wife has the ithequa 2 with the carbon fork and i have thought about it...).

Oh, and i changed the saddle to one that actually matched. The sdg one was more yellow then green. On the good side, it is very comfortable, given the tires, mastadon fork, and carbon frame. Plus it can properly run up to 5 inch tires (dont worry, you quickly forget about the huge q factor). This is a proper full fatty. Oh, and it has proper through axles.

My observations are more about a fatty vs plus, or xc, or cx bikes. Slow, but hard to stop. Makes a capable trail bike also. And traction... climbs that would have my other bikes spin out are just a joke. Sand, no problem. I am chomping at the bit to run it in the snow. too.

I see this as a fun trainer, and a winter/muddy weather bike. The frontrunner and rearrunner fat mud guards combined with a couple of beaverguards keeps me pretty presentable too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    This is my first fat bike, so i can not say much to compare it. The brakes are strong and progressive, the dropper works fine but the trigger is pretty flimzy. It shifts great, has all the range you need. Although the groupset comes with no bragging rights, it works fine. My view was that with all the mud and snow this bike would see, no use going high end. And fat bikes are heavy enough that there is no use being a weight weenie (though my wife has the ithequa 2 with the carbon fork and i have thought about it...).

Oh, and i changed the saddle to one that actually matched. The sdg one was more yellow then green. On the good side, it is very comfortable, given the tires, mastadon fork, and carbon frame. Plus it can properly run up to 5 inch tires (dont worry, you quickly forget about the huge q factor). This is a proper full fatty. Oh, and it has proper through axles.

My observations are more about a fatty vs plus, or xc, or cx bikes. Slow, but hard to stop. Makes a capable trail bike also. And traction... climbs that would have my other bikes spin out are just a joke. Sand, no problem. I am chomping at the bit to run it in the snow. too.

I see this as a fun trainer, and a winter/muddy weather bike. The frontrunner and rearrunner fat mud guards combined with a couple of beaverguards keeps me pretty presentable too.
    What a great review!

Exactly the type of info I was hoping for. I'll be using the bike for the same basic circumstances.... winter snow/mud bike to be able to ride throughout the winter , and as a shoulder season trail bike. I'll ride my full suspension 27.5+ in the normal good weather up here in the northeast. The ithaqua 2s seems like a great option to keep me going outdoors this winter.

Thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate it. Great to hear that you haven't had any major issues or disappointments with it so far.

mtbr member

I went from the stock sram level brakes to Shimano zee brakes and the extra power from the dh brakes was a significant upgrade. Highly recommended.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller View Post
    I went from the stock sram level brakes to Shimano zee brakes and the extra power from the dh brakes was a significant upgrade. Highly recommended.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Haha. The sram level brakes have tons of stopping power. What i mean is that it is hard to stop, i.e. fat bikes just grip and roll over everything. Same on the climbs.

I have since gone to xtr shifter, derailer, and soon race brakes. Not because i needed to... but because i could. Looking to swap x0 carbon cranks also from my spark. Just need a cinch spindle from raceface.