2017 Sights are looking good !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2017 Sights are looking good !

Sight Carbon 9 - All Mountain - Mountain - Bikes - Norco Bicycles

Really impressed with the new 2017's. Very excited to see the new geo on this years models. In particular I'm looking at the 29er, but they all look great.

My LBS has been carrying this brand for awhile now, I think it's time to find a demo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm more a fan of the 27.5 with longer travel version, however about the Sights generally...

I have a 2015 Sight and one thing I struggled with was how low the bottom bracket is. It's no problem for a lot of riding, and I don't mind it when descending, however going up switchbacks littered with rock gardens it was a real struggle. I ended up making the Sight work for me through changes to the bike, however it would probably make me look elsewhere when upgrading.

And I see that the 29er has an even lower BB again (although the diff is tiny).

I'm glad that the 27.5 has the 66.5 HTA ever since they went with the 150mm fork.

I "fixed" my Sight through a couple of primary changes:
    - 160mm fork with a high A/C length. It slackened it out more, helped bring the BB up a bit, and I feel balances better with the rear travel (the rear travel is quite progressive so is soft off the top, so a longer fork with more sag works well).
    - I've squeezed 2.6 tyres into mine and I'd like to see that designed in, up to 2.8 being preferable however that may compromise geo a bit too much. This also helps bring the BB up just a touch. The Sight also runs high anti-squat which is nice for smoother climbs but causes some traction issues on very technical climbs (it firms up a bit too much), and running 2.6 tyres and the lower pressure that comes with that takes up some of that and is a better match with the high anti-squat.
    - That cabling area down near the rear shock is a bit ugly, even on these carbon models with internal routing.
    - It's a minor one, but surely that TT could be shaped a little better so that a bottle cage is actually usable.

Let's be honest, the Sight is a good bike and I might be nitpicking a little, however I thought it was still worthy of discussion.

mtbr member
    Oops, probably shouldn't have just bought my Optic last month. Oh well.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Oops, probably shouldn't have just bought my Optic last month. Oh well.
    I've not ridden an Optic however my understanding is that they ride quite differently. Norco give their longer travel bikes more anti-squat to help climbing up smoother trails/fireroads (i.e. climb just to earn the descents) and it helps cope with the greater sag people run on those bikes.

The shorter travel bikes however are more often pedalled/climbed through rough surfaces and running less sag, so less anti-squat helps deal with that. See my post above regarding anti-squat and tech climbs.

Talking Geometry and Wheel Sizes with Owen Pemberton from Norco – Flow Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    I've not ridden an Optic however my understanding is that they ride quite differently. Norco give their longer travel bikes more anti-squat to help climbing up smoother trails/fireroads (i.e. climb just to earn the descents) and it helps cope with the greater sag people run on those bikes.

The shorter travel bikes however are more often pedalled/climbed through rough surfaces and running less sag, so less anti-squat helps deal with that. See my post above regarding anti-squat and tech climbs.

Talking Geometry and Wheel Sizes with Owen Pemberton from Norco – Flow Mountain Bike
    I'm well aware of the differences.

I currently have a Revolver and although the suspension design is different between the Opric and Revolver the travel is quite similar.

And, I'd rather have 2 bikes than the 3 that I currently have. Knolly Endorphin being the other.

With a Revolver and a Sight, I would pretty much cover the full spectrum of riding that I would ever do.

Well, maybe next year's project.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Fair enough, that makes sense. I only have a single bike (old 26ers aside) so there are always compromises.

The Revolver looks like a sweet bike and possibly not a bad pairing with the Sight or Range for a 2-bike collection.

I'm surprised that you bought an Optic given that you already had a Revolver and didn't either hold out or look at other brands. I see the Optic as a bike suitable for single-bike owners that lean towards XC and the Sight as a bike suitable for single-bike owners that lean towards gravity.

I personally don't have the balls to justify anything more gravity-focused than a Sight, and ultimately would love to pair it with a lightweight 29+ hardtail. Unfortunately my money tree is looking a little bare at the moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    Fair enough, that makes sense. I only have a single bike (old 26ers aside) so there are always compromises.

The Revolver looks like a sweet bike and possibly not a bad pairing with the Sight or Range for a 2-bike collection.

I'm surprised that you bought an Optic given that you already had a Revolver and didn't either hold out or look at other brands. I see the Optic as a bike suitable for single-bike owners that lean towards XC and the Sight as a bike suitable for single-bike owners that lean towards gravity.

I personally don't have the balls to justify anything more gravity-focused than a Sight, and ultimately would love to pair it with a lightweight 29+ hardtail. Unfortunately my money tree is looking a little bare at the moment.
    Keep in mind, all my bikes are bought as frames and I typically build them up over time as funds permit, or if parts can transfer.

Long story short, in my quest for that "best" bike, I bought a 29" Revolver. Out of many that I have had, this bike is my absolute favorite and does everything I could ever ask for 90% of my riding. It is very light, fast, and handles incredible.

However, I do some trail riding every now and then, hence the reason for the Knolly. But I really never liked the Endorphin that much. As a result, I was thinking I'd sell the Endorphin and buy the Optic as my "trail bike".

Well, the Endorphin has now become my winter bike with studs, and the Optic has only been ridden once so far - and that was with 29 x 2.6" Nobby Nic tires, which I really didn't care for either.

So, come spring, one, if not both of these will have to go. I'll probably keep the Revolver forever.
    by Silentfoe

Cannonball!
    Well I have heard pretty positive response to release of this bike, but I think it might be a little aesthetically challenged. I guess that's too bad, I committed to one a couple months ago, and should be seeing it soon. I just hope it rides as well as I think it should!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Wow, it just occurred to me that the Sight 9 is essentially Torrent FS+ Geo. In fact, it's almost identical!

Makes me wonder if the Sight 9 frame actually has any advantages over a Torrent FS+ frame whatsoever. I'm assuming at this point that the Torrent frame has better tyre clearance.

Cannonball!

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Now I don't know what to do, my dealer is being told they won't see these until March or April. I sold my bike a few months ago in anticipation of the Sight and I absolutely need something prior to the first week of April. I might have to go with the big red S, instead of Norco.