Jun 2008

2015 Norco Search

Has anyone ridden this yet? Looking for info on fit and any reviews. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Me too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm 5'9" and bought the Search XR 53cm size, the 56cm felt too big, but I reckon I'm on the edge of 53cm. I reckon a 54cm version would crossover more average height people rather than have a confusing choice, although it does feel quite flickable.

Bike is a bit noisy when the roads get a bit rough, my frame came with a touched up bit of paintwork, not happy about that. Overall weight was about 8.7kg without pedals, choosing some 28mm road tyres has brought that down by 400g.

I've only had one ride on it, so a bit early to say what's what, although the disc brakes are mint. But I wish I'd have at least taken a look at the GT Grade Carbons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Norco Search-img_20150122_211812.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelma Viaduct View Post
    I'm 5'9" and bought the Search XR 53cm size, the 56cm felt too big, but I reckon I'm on the edge of 53cm. I reckon a 54cm version would crossover more average height people rather than have a confusing choice, although it does feel quite flickable.

Bike is a bit noisy when the roads get a bit rough, my frame came with a touched up bit of paintwork, not happy about that. Overall weight was about 8.7kg without pedals, choosing some 28mm road tyres has brought that down by 400g.

I've only had one ride on it, so a bit early to say what's what, although the disc brakes are mint. But I wish I'd have at least taken a look at the GT Grade Carbons.
    I'm strongly thinking of getting the Norco Search XR.

What do you mean by "my frame came with a touched up bit of paintwork"?
    Was the paint on the bike damaged and was fixed with touch-up paint?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes, exactly that. Nothing major but not what I expected on a new bike. It looks like it was touched up in the factory or by Norco, you can't see it unless you look carefully. I got a few hundred knocked off for the issue.

zep
    mtbr member

Cable rattles?

...Bike is a bit noisy when the roads get a bit rough, ...
    Could you please clarify this observation? Are the internal cables rattling, and causing the noise? Or is something else the cause?

The cable routing grommets used by Norco supposedly prevented cable rattles, Road - Tech - Norco Bicycles

The Search Ultegra is on my new bike short-list...but I despise internal cables that rattle.
    Get some miles in--we've got weather coming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I am a newbie so I have no expertise regarding bikes. But I would have thought the noise comes from the wide tires on rough roads.
    I am also eager to hear from Thelma as to whether the noise is from cable rattling.
    I actually don't mind road noise from tires (I have an old dodge intrepid with wide noisy tires - I actually like the sound - feels 'aggressive', secure).

zep
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borgey007 View Post
    I am a newbie so I have no expertise regarding bikes. But I would have thought the noise comes from the wide tires on rough roads.
    I am also eager to hear from Thelma as to whether the noise is from cable rattling.
    I actually don't mind road noise from tires (I have an old dodge intrepid with wide noisy tires - I actually like the sound - feels 'aggressive', secure).
    There's been some reports of cable rattle from other 2015 Norco bikes (which use the same internal "Gizmo" routing system as the Search) , that's what prompted the question.
    Ex:
    2015 Norco Sight: Reviewed - NSMB.com
    " Finally, the internally routed cables maintained the clean aesthetic of the frame, even if they can tend to be rattley at times."
    Last edited by zep; 01-26-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    Get some miles in--we've got weather coming.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I haven't got a clue where the rattles come from, I'm suspecting the sti gear/brake units??? I've swapped the stock 35mm tyres for 28mm, running about 95psi.

I've owned/still own some top bikes from the likes of Intense, GT, Giant. Norco are not in the same class quality wise, but they're a bit cheaper. Pays your money, takes your choice etc

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I haven't got a clue where the rattles come from, I'm suspecting the sti gear/brake units??? I've swapped the stock 35mm tyres for 28mm, running about 95psi.

I've owned/still own some top bikes from the likes of Intense, GT, Giant. Norco are not in the same class quality wise, but they're a bit cheaper. Pays your money, takes your choice etc
    Could you say whether there is less rattling now that you've gone with narrower tires?

Thanks again for your info!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've not used it with 35mm tyres, I changed them straight away as I intend to use it on 4-6hr+ road rides. I didn't notice any noise on the test ride, but this was on a smooth road. It only gets noisy on roughish back roads, I just can't remember my giant TCR advanced being as noisy??

The weather has been shire recently, so not been out on it since. I'll report back with more info once its got more miles under its tyres.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The Search XR will only be my 2nd road bike; so I don't have much experience.

But based on what I've read, I think all bikes coming from bike shops are basically of the same quality; brand is only a matter of preference.

On youtube, the GCN channel as well the Bike Radar channel have a number of videos on diagnosing noises from bicycles - this appears to be a common problem to bicycles.
    Individuals have also uploaded videos on the noises coming from their bikes, and how their noises, rattles, clickings, were solved. Most frequently it seems to be something quite minor: the seatpost, pedals, bolts a bit loose...

By the way, none of these bikes shown with noises were Norcos (but Norco is a small company relative to the others).

I'm waiting for the weather to get better here in Northern Canada, before I get my Search XR. Current temps with the wind chill average -40 C.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I wouldn't say all bikes are of the same quality at all.

Having read about the alloy sight issues, carbon range issues and the minor problems with my Search, I'd say Norco have a general problem with design and QC.

Going from what i own and have read about, Norco are not of the same quality as other manufacturers. Their customer service leads a lot to be desired also.

If i was after a road bike again for similar money, id go for a Giant. They make their own composites in their own factories, have retailers everywhere and finish their bikes very well.

Horses for courses, don't say you wasn't warned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thank you very much for your input!

But I am also in the market for a fat bike/winter bike (it's still -40 here in Yellowknife, Canada).
    I narrowed my choices to a Norco Bigfoot (6.1) and the Specialized Fatboy (expert).

Specialized as everyone knows is a major player in the bike industry, and one perhaps could assume their bikes would be better quality than Norco, just because Specialized has access to more resources, quality control...

But comparing Norco fat bikes to Specialized fat bikes, one finds that the Specialized bikes are overpriced with lesser components.

And very concerning with regards to the Specialized fat bikes currently, the rear hub has a reputation of suddenly breaking (sorry I don't know the appropriate technical term); resulting in falls, and an unusable bike.

There are multiple reports on these forums that the rear hub problem recurs, even after the hub is replaced by Specialized. This is true for both 2014 and 2015 models.

Apparently some bikes have been fixed, but it's not clear even today if the bike you buy from Specialized has the updated hub or not.

This post is not to knock Specialized. It's just to show that a major player in the bike industry can also have problems with quality control, design...

By the way, I have not read about any issues related to the Norco Bigfoot; but of-course Norco is a much smaller company.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You might think you're saving a couple hundred quid, but are you really saving if the frame and forks are not of least the same quality. The cost saving has to be made some place, maybe it's with their lesser composite grades, pathetic QC or non-existent customer services???

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The Search XR is really what I want in a road bike: I like the components, the wider tires, and I have to admit my favorite color is blue
    I hope I'm not looking a bit superficial in choosing the Search XR; but it's really not about saving a few hundred dollars (although that is important).
    On these forums, I think you could find issues expressed about any bike.
    Finally I must admit, I was a bit partial to Norco from the start; it's one of the only few Canadian companies surviving; I would hate to see them go.
    Giant certainly does not need my support.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Good luck with your purchase mate, give it a good looking over before handing over your money. Even one of my bottle cage bosses were cross threaded and out of alignment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Well, appreciate the wishes of good luck!
    I will certainly check the bike before completing my purchase.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi Thelma,

Well I thought I'd finally give you an update on things; I know it's been many months but I wanted to give Norco a chance to remedy things.

I purchased a Norco Bigfoot 6.1 (fat bike) in March of this year (2015). The bike came to the bike shop with 2 paint chips on the right seat stay - the chips were small (perhaps 6mm and 4mm). I was pretty upset. The chips were actually pointed out to me by the bike store salesperson, so of-course I thanked him for his honesty.

The salesperson called Norco, and Norco would not do anything or offer anything to me so that I can take the bike. Norco just demanded the salesperson check the box the bike came in, and other nonsense it seemed; to me it looked like Norco tried to assign blame to somebody (other than to themselves) for the paint chips. The store's bike mechanic, who is actually a great guy, said if it was he who purchased the bike, the chips would not bother him.

I know many others would agree with the bike mechanic, but it was my first bike in 20-25 years, I was very much looking forward to getting it, and I felt paying 2000$ I had the right to a "new" bike and a "new bike experience".

Anyways, Norco offered nothing to me that day when the bike came in; the bike salesperson suggested I pay for the bike and that he'll talk with Norco again the next day.

I certainly wasn't going to do that; and went online searching what paint chips are worth, and I offered to take the bike with a 10% discount. The store agreed. But I was still quite disappointed; the chips were an eyesore; and I wanted the "new bike experience" for however long it may have lasted, but of-course now I would not have that experience.

Unfortunately when I got home, I found a 3rd paint chip, on the inside of the same seat stay, facing the cassette. There is no way because of the location of the chip that a rock or any other trauma to the bike caused that 3rd chip. The bike salesperson agreed. I also live pretty close to the bike shop, and because it was winter, and I hadn't ridden for 20-25 years, I in fact walked the bike half-way to my home.

To me 3 paint chips, on the same seat stay, represented a defect in the manufacture or workmanship of the bike. Norco had a 1 year warranty on their bike paint. From their website: "Paint finish and decals are covered by a 1 year limited warranty against materials and workmanship. Removing decals will void the warranty."

For 6 months, I communicated with Norco about how it was going to honor their 1 year paint warranty; via my bike salesperson, myself directly via email to Norco (I received no response from Norco; but my salesperson confirmed to me Norco did receive my email).

I did not want a defective bike; I work hard for my money, and for me the 3 paint chips is not worth the $200 off the store agreed to with regards to the first 2 paint chips identified in the store. For me, the 3rd paint chip pointed to a defect in the paint, in the workmanship. A bike with 3 paint chips is not a "new" bike, and I would not pay $1800 for an "old bike".

But I was willing to more than compromise, since the bike store was honest in pointing out the first two chips to me, and I didn't want to hurt the store in any way (in fact over the months I purchased approx $1500 in accessories for the bike from the store).
    Norco said (and this was in March when I purchased the bike) it would send me touch-up paint. I told the store I would accept this as "compensation" for the 3rd paint chip, and I would accept this as Norco fullfilling its 1 year advertised paint warranty.

Well,over the 6 months, I received no touch-up paint. This despite Norco saying in April the touch-up paint left the factory with a larger
    shipment from the factory via cargo ship. Later that same month (again in April), Norco gave "assurances" to my saleperson the touch-up paint left the factory "within the last 10 days".
    I was told an arrival date could not be pinpointed due to a labor dispute at ports in California, and a consequent delay at the Vancouver port.

Well, March, April, May, June, July, August, and now September 2015 - no touch-up paint. Remember I accepted the touch-up paint as a resolution to the paint chips on my "new bike" and Norco's warranty obligations.

I would like to note I ordered accessories twice from China in April, and received both in less than a month.

Finally this month (September), my salesperson communicated with Norco a final time about my issue. This time Norco responded Canada Customs does not allow importation of touch-up paint into Canada because it contains lead.
    Norco is telling me this after 6 months? Were their assurances that the touch-up paint was on the way on a cargo ship and had left the factory all just lies?

I called Canada Customs, who referred me to Health Canada. Contrary to what Norco claimed after dragging me on for 6 months, Health Canada told me you are indeed allowed to import touch-up paint (even if it contains lead) if it's for personal use. You cannot sell it; or import barrels of it to sell to others.

So to make a long story short:
    -Norco dragged me on to nowhere for 6 months.
    -I had to look at 3 paint chips from day 1 on a "new" bike I paid $1800 for.
    -In the end, Norco did not honor their own advertised paint warranty, did not keep their promise as to how they would resolve my issue. Norco customer service is zero.

I have read other posts about Norco's poor customer service; in previous posts, I actually defended Norco. I was favorably partial to Norco as it was one of a few surviving Canadian bike companies.
    On paper their bikes look nice (they don't show any paint chips on their bikes!). I have no experience with other bike companies, but there is no way I could ever get myself to purchase another Norco bike.

Finally as to an "adventure/gravel" bike I am looking to have for next summer, I am now leaning towards the Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon.
    Last edited by borgey007; 09-24-2015 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Norco are arseholes, proper arrogant pricks. I need to sell my Search, bought a GT Grade Carbon Ultegra which I'm much happier with.

Sorry to read your story, we must learn from our mistakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yes, I need to look at the GT Grade as well. Thanks!