2015 Norco Range Frame Protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2015 Norco Range Frame Protection

Anyone know a company that makes a clear protective film kit for the 2015 Norco Range? I see InvisiFrame makes one, but they only size large. I'm on a medium. Also, FrameSkin makes it for the Sight, but not the Range. TIA.

mtbr member
    I got a roll of 3M clear tape and custom cut it to my 2015 Range. Used a blow drier to shape it in the more contoured areas of the frame. Very happy with results.

mtbr member
    I'd probably buy some uncut material or a generic kit and do it myself. I like my Frameskin kit, but think I could have done it just as well, or almost, without the kit. I have the matte film on a matte gray carbon Santa Cruz, and the stuff really is almost invisible. So the fancy puzzle cuts where the pieces come together aren't really important since you don't notice the film anyway.

Plus, one thing I didn't like about the kit is that it doesn't cover the same parts that I would have covered. For example, the piece that goes on top of the top tube wraps around the side a little, but doesn't cover the graphics on the side of the top tube. The downtube and head tube graphics are also only partially wrapped. To me the graphics are the most important part to protect, because scratches on the graphics are more noticeable.

But they give you extra material, which I used to cover some areas the kit did not.

I would also bet that the Sight kit would work pretty close on the Range. I ended up cutting some of my pieces anyway, so you could just make it work by cutting and and adding extra material as needed. Again, its not rocket science since you can't see the stuff when you are done. (Unlike a phone screen protector which will drive you nuts everytime you look at it because you didn't get every bubble out )

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks guys. I did some cut-my-own film on a Niner Jet9 Carbon I built up, but I only covered the parts I though were most prone to getting nicked up, since it's my XC bike. This one being more likely to be involved in harder crashes, I thought a pre-cut kit would be way easier than trying to cut out all my own stuff to get enough coverage to make me happy.

The downtube already had a nice thick clear film on it. I used thinner, more flexible film for the head tube area and between cable tie downs to keep the cables from grinding on the clear coat. Also did the inside and outside of the chainstays and seat stays. I found out on an aluminum frame that if you ride in muddy conditions the muddy tires can cake up around the chain/seat stays and polish off the finish down to bare material. For rock hits, I put a rock guard on the lower downtube/bottom bracket area.

I used a blow torch (only heat maker I had) at a distance to help conform the film. It's a little touchy that way, of course, but I got it done without any burned edges or ugly wrinkles. Also, I was able to take care of any bubbles by giving it a little stab with an exacto knife and pressing out the air. Super happy with the results, but wasn't looking forward to doing essentially the whole frame that way.

Meh, whatever. I find that sort of perfectionist tedium to be sort of like meditation. It relaxes me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJBuggy2B View Post
    Thanks guys. I did some cut-my-own film on a Niner Jet9 Carbon I built up, but I only covered the parts I though were most prone to getting nicked up, since it's my XC bike. This one being more likely to be involved in harder crashes, I thought a pre-cut kit would be way easier than trying to cut out all my own stuff to get enough coverage to make me happy.

The downtube already had a nice thick clear film on it. I used thinner, more flexible film for the head tube area and between cable tie downs to keep the cables from grinding on the clear coat. Also did the inside and outside of the chainstays and seat stays. I found out on an aluminum frame that if you ride in muddy conditions the muddy tires can cake up around the chain/seat stays and polish off the finish down to bare material. For rock hits, I put a rock guard on the lower downtube/bottom bracket area.

I used a blow torch (only heat maker I had) at a distance to help conform the film. It's a little touchy that way, of course, but I got it done without any burned edges or ugly wrinkles. Also, I was able to take care of any bubbles by giving it a little stab with an exacto knife and pressing out the air. Super happy with the results, but wasn't looking forward to doing essentially the whole frame that way.

Meh, whatever. I find that sort of perfectionist tedium to be sort of like meditation. It relaxes me.
    If you start with a generic kit, you would have some wide and some narrow strips that you would probably only have to trim the length. It would save time over a roll of tape that had to be cut lengthwise for the stays etc. The kits come with dots and ovals as well.

I found out on an aluminum frame that if you ride in muddy conditions the muddy tires can cake up around the chain/seat stays and polish off the finish down to bare material.
    My first ride EVER on my brand new gray carbon TBLT, and I did exactly what you describe. The inside of the seatstays have a yellow stripe, and mud rubbed it right off at the area where the tire runs through the seatstays. One ride!

I didn't really like all the yellow on the bike anyway, so I got some black vinyl wrap tape from an auto parts store and covered most of the yellow, including the rubbed off area, with black, and it looks fine and is protected from future rubbing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I used a sight frame skin kit on my 2016 range. Works ok but if I did it again, order a size up if possible.