2014 Sight Carbon 7.2 rebuild and first impressions....- Mtbr.com
    I wonder why?

2014 Sight Carbon 7.2 rebuild and first impressions....

I was too impatient to wait for the 2015 Sight Carbon models to arrive, so when I found a sweet deal on a 2014 7.2, I decided to go for it and strip it down to the frame and rebuild it with my preferred components.

The Bike:
    Fork: 2014 Pike RCT3 150mm
    Shock: DBInline on order (supposed to arrive mid August)
    Wheelset: I9 Torch hubs, 35mm carbon rims (hookless), & CX Ray spokes
    Tires: Rocket Ron 2.25
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Crankset: Rotor REX2 with 28 tooth Q-ring
    Cassette: SRAM 11 spd 10-42
    Shifter: SRAM XX1
    Rear derailleur: SRAM XX1
    pedals: XTR
    Brakes: XTR Trail M988
    Seat Post: Reverb Stealth
    Saddle: Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow
    Handlebars: Race Face Next
    Grips: Ergon GP1
    Head set: still playing around with set up here. I'm trying decide between the stock 70mm Race Face, a 60mm Race Face Turbines and 50mm Chris King.

2014 Sight Carbon 7.2 rebuild and first impressions....-sight-side1.jpg
    2014 Sight Carbon 7.2 rebuild and first impressions....-sight-rear1.jpg
    2014 Sight Carbon 7.2 rebuild and first impressions....-sight-front1.jpg

Based on the weights provided by the various manufacturers, the completed bike with the above noted specs should weigh in at around 24 lbs. However, even with the stock Monarch RL (which is about 80 gms lighter than the DBIline) the bike is now sitting at 26.2 lbs. I'm not complaining, just thought it interesting to see such a discrepancy.

The ride:
    Having never ridden a 650B prior to the first ride on the Sight, I was unsure as to what to expect. My local trails consists of tight twisty forested single track with a lot of roots, log overs, a bit of rock and relatively short but steep ups and downs at one extreme and very technical single track through rocky terrain, on the other (with a mix in between). We don't have much in the way of mile long climbs.

For the first ride, I wanted to play around with the set up so I went to an area with flowy forested single track, plenty of roots and log overs and a few technical ups and downs.

Initially, I set the sag on the Pike and the Monarch at 30% and started off with the 70mm stock stem. I left the Pike fully open with compression and rebound set at about 50%.

Overall the bike handled exceptionally well and was much more nimble that I anticipated. It carved through tight twisty single track and climbed steep technical terrain ease and was just a blast going downhill. The Monarch felt a little soft or wallowy when pedalling, so I added more air to reduce the sag to about 25%. This helped a bit, but the shock seemed to get a bit overwhelmed with successive high speed hits causing the rear to buck a bit. Slowing down the rebound helped, but the rear end never matched the silkiness of the Pike. I'm hoping that with the DBInline that I will be able to dial things in to my liking. (I used all of the travel on the Pike but never felt it bottom out!)

One of the most notable things was how fast the bike accelerated. I don't know if it was because of the frame design, the larger hoops, the carbon rims, or the Rocket Ron's or a combination of them all, but the bike felt like a rocket ship whether pedalling on the flats, riding uphill or blasting downhill. I went harder, faster, and with less effort when compared to my previous bike 26 lb. bike (Titus Motolite Exogrid - titanium/carbon fibre frame).

My next ride was on a trail that was much more technical (very rooty tight single track). I put the Pike in pedal mode for this ride. The bike handled the tight twisties with aplomb and just flew over the terrain.

Two rides in and I know I made the right decision, all and all the Sight is the most fun bike that I have ridden. I've been a long time XTR fan and was pleasantly surprised at how flawlessly the XX1 setup performed. It certainly surpassed my expectations.

Over my next few rides I will try the shorter 50mm and 60mm stems and I can't wait to see what the DBInline will do.

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    verrrrrrrry nice build! Where do you ride?

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    verrrrrrrry nice build! Where do you ride?
    Thanks.

I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario and ride most of the trails in the Southern Ontario area. I've also taken riding trips to Fruita, Moab and Whistler.

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Have you had any additional rides with the shorter stems? Curious to see what you thought?

I wonder why?
    After trying the stock 70mm, a 60mm and 50mm stems, I'm liking the 50mm best.

I ended up having to use less sag (25% vs 30%) with the 150mm Pike to counteract diving during low speed drops and braking. I was concerned that the resulting higher front end would affect steep technical climbing with the 50mm stem but this has not been the case. The bike feels balanced both up and down and when carving through high speed twisties.

The stock Monarch RL has been okay but I'm looking forward to receiving the DBInline (hopefully next week) which should match up with the Pike better.

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am riding a stock XL 2014 sight 7.2. Also have a 2014 aluminum Range 7.1. Only change on the sight was I put it's x fusion dropper on the Range and put on a Reverb stealth. The sight rips, shifting is a little chunky but the bike rides great on the Bend Or trails. I use the Range mostly at a Bike Park and the sight for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ive been running a 50mm stem since ride #2 this past spring - but part of that was it just that I am on the shorter side and was a bit too stretched - 50 is perfect for me and on the bike it's all good.

also - i've recently dropped my pike to apprx 20% sag - (seated position), added a click or 2 of LSC (at 5 clicks from open) and some rebound speed - 7 to 8 from closed - bike feels way more balanced and fork just seems overall better...

Im gonna add the CC DB Inline after some of first reviews from other sight owners..

I wonder why?
    Ive been running a 50mm stem since ride #2 this past spring - but part of that was it just that I am on the shorter side and was a bit too stretched - 50 is perfect for me and on the bike it's all good.

also - i've recently dropped my pike to apprx 20% sag - (seated position), added a click or 2 of LSC (at 5 clicks from open) and some rebound speed - 7 to 8 from closed - bike feels way more balanced and fork just seems overall better...

Im gonna add the CC DB Inline after some of first reviews from other sight owners..
    I'm about 5' 8.5" with a 32" inseam, so a bit of shorter torso with longer legs. I like to be "centered" on the bike with the grips the same height as the saddle and to move around the cockpit to get the most out of a bike. With the 50mm stem the bike feels more playful to me without compromising any climbing prowess.

What length of Pike are you using, 140mm or 150mm? I'm still playing around with the settings on the Pike and may reduce the sag to 20%, but I want to wait until the DBInline arrives so I don't have to tune things twice.

I've got a DB coil on my other bike (el Guapo) and I really like it, so I'm hoping the Inline works as well on the Sight (as others have attested).

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    im a shade under 5/7 w typical arm length - 32/33 in a long sleeve dress shirt.

Im running a 150 pike - have run as much as 30+% sag (seated measure) - but where Im at now the fork seems to perform much better in all aspects.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Did you get your inline?
    I have been riding one on a range for about a month, and it's incredible. All I've ridden for the past 6 or so years have been DB coils (Nomad/Rune/Blindside/Flatline), and I can say the Inline feels just as nice on my Norco.

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Did you get your inline?
    I have been riding one on a range for about a month, and it's incredible. All I've ridden for the past 6 or so years have been DB coils (Nomad/Rune/Blindside/Flatline), and I can say the Inline feels just as nice on my Norco.
    Yes, I've been running the Inline for about a month now. I sped up the HSR, HSC and LSC a bit from the factory settings and I'm really liking it as well. I've got a DB coil on my el Guapo which is very sweet also. I'm having a great time on the Norco.

I'm thinking of selling the ti el Guapo and picking up a Norco fat bike for the winter.

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    when you say "sped up" - i assume w HSR - a counter clockwise rotation? same w HSC (less compression = counter clock?) and LSC? Im close on my inline - but seems subtle adjust makes good difference. thanks in advance!

I wonder why?
    when you say "sped up" - i assume w HSR - a counter clockwise rotation? same w HSC (less compression = counter clock?) and LSC? Im close on my inline - but seems subtle adjust makes good difference. thanks in advance!
    This is where I'm at now (from the Stock settings - mine was set up with the custom settings for the 2015 Sight by Cane Creek):
    - HSC 1/4 turn clockwise
    - HSR 1/2 turn clockwise
    - LSC - 1 click clockwise
    - LSR - no change

I'm finding these setting perfect for me. Initially, with the stock settings, the rear was a bit harsh over repeated high speed hit (chatter through rooty sections) and wallowy when pedalling (noisy too - squishy sounding). The rear end is now much better planted through the rough stuff yet soaks everything up and much quieter through LSC.

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Really appreciate the input - gonna give the "other" direction a try with my inline. Stock tune is pretty darn good - but with so much tuning possible - I want to dial in a wee bit better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So after trying diff settings and not finding the right perfect combo for me - I consulted the Oracle (i.e. support via CC)! after following their suggestion - BOOM! Perfection first next ride out. For me and my riding/trails - here's where I am:

Norco Sight Carbo 2014 Base tune + following changes:

HSC - 1/4 counter turn to gain full travel
    LSR - 2 clicks counter from base = 8 clicks
    HSR - depending on trail 1/4 turn counter otherwise base

2 less clicks on the LSR is what completely turned the shock and ride around - NO more chatter on the fast descents over braking bumps, and the small trail imperfections.

I had "read" on the forums that LSC was more a factor, but advised by CC after describing my challenges - to open up/speed up LSR. Started at 2 clicks and doubt I need to play any more with it.

I wonder why?
    So after trying diff settings and not finding the right perfect combo for me - I consulted the Oracle (i.e. support via CC)! after following their suggestion - BOOM! Perfection first next ride out. For me and my riding/trails - here's where I am:

Norco Sight Carbo 2014 Base tune + following changes:

HSC - 1/4 counter turn to gain full travel
    LSR - 2 clicks counter from base = 8 clicks
    HSR - depending on trail 1/4 turn counter otherwise base

2 less clicks on the LSR is what completely turned the shock and ride around - NO more chatter on the fast descents over braking bumps, and the small trail imperfections.

I had "read" on the forums that LSC was more a factor, but advised by CC after describing my challenges - to open up/speed up LSR. Started at 2 clicks and doubt I need to play any more with it.
    I'll give that a try to see how it compares to my settings.

Thanks.

i1dry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Coolio - be keen to gain your final tune settings for the forum... Im sure they will help the new 2015 buyers and conversions in their inline setups - it helped me in my final setup!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Wondering what Carbon rims you went with...

Nevermind, ended up with Roval Carbon Fatties. Great addition to my Norco Sight.
    Last edited by Clarkej; 05-18-2015 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone know the mounting hardware for the DB Inline?? I sent my shock to cane creek for a rebuild with the hardware on it. They sent me an email saying that they found a few things they didn't like with so I'm getting a new one replaced under warranty and I'm afraid that I won't be getting my hardware back 😏 also I leave for a bike vacation in 2 days. I'm fresking out!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr42881 View Post
    Anyone know the mounting hardware for the DB Inline?? I sent my shock to cane creek for a rebuild with the hardware on it. They sent me an email saying that they found a few things they didn't like with so I'm getting a new one replaced under warranty and I'm afraid that I won't be getting my hardware back 😏 also I leave for a bike vacation in 2 days. I'm fresking out!!
    Why don't you ask CaneCreek to include hardware with the replacement shock? Should be much simpler to ask them to include mounting hardware than asking us here in multiple threads

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dreys View Post
    Why don't you ask CaneCreek to include hardware with the replacement shock? Should be much simpler to ask them to include mounting hardware than asking us here in multiple threads
    Would've, but I didn't realize until cane creek already shipped it. 😒