2014 Carbon Sight 7 1.5 frame cracked at front derailleur mount- Mtbr.com
    Pipedream Torero 5.5
    Apr 2006

2014 Carbon Sight 7 1.5 frame cracked at front derailleur mount

Hi all,
    I'm after some advice.

I've a 2014 model Norco Carbon Sight 7 1.5 which I bought new in August 2014, at the time I believe these frames came with a 5 year warranty which I'm thankfully still within.

2014 Carbon Sight 7 1.5 frame cracked at front derailleur mount-img_2296.jpg

Cleaning the bike the other day I noticed a crack right around the front derailleur mount as per the picture below:

2014 Carbon Sight 7 1.5 frame cracked at front derailleur mount-img_2295.jpg

Some googling suggests this was not uncommon on the 2014 frames and many were replaced under warranty, I'm due to take it to the retailer I bought it from tomorrow AM.

I've a couple of concerns, I changed the front shock from the standard Fox Float CTD item to a Cane Creek DB inline air (of the correct size) a year or so after buying the bike, I also changed the front Fox 140mm Float 32 CTD FIT forks for a 150mm Pike. Do you think changing these two parts will somehow totally invalidate the frame warranty and they'll decline the claim based on that??

Secondly, I noticed looking through the archives that from 2016/2017 Norco only sold the Carbon Sight without a FD mount as they switched to a 1 x 11 setup. If they replace the frame (assuming they wont have 4 year old frames in stock anymore) for one of the much newer models that don't have the FD mount where do I stand as potentially I'd need to shell out loads on 1x11 parts to fit the new frame, mine is 2x10, should I be within my rights to request parts to fit the new frame as part of the warranty?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Do you have the old parts ? If so I'd put them back on to reduce risk---especially the fork. The shock seems fine as it is the same size. But over forking may put you at risk here

One never knows what will take place ---if you do not have the parts then I doubt anyone can tell you what will happen.

Pipedream Torero 5.5
    Apr 2006
    A quick update.

I dont have the original fork/shock.

Took the bike to my retailer this morning, had a call this afternoon to confirm that Norco were happy to warranty it and a brand new 2016 Sight C7.1 frame is being shipped, should get to me in the UK in 3-4 weeks! Result!

Interestingly the 2016 C7.1 came with the exact rear shock and front 150 Pike I have fitted to my current one. I'm going to take the opportunity to upgrade the groupset to an XT8000 1x11 setup, the retailer has them in stock on clearance at a very good price anyway.

Thanks!