120mm fork on new Norco Revolver FS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

120mm fork on new Norco Revolver FS?

The new Norco Revolver FS looks like a pretty fast bike, but only being a 100mm leaves as a race day weapon only. With a 120mm fork, it looks like it would be a great endurance bike, anyone thinking the same? I can only have a one bike quiver, and race quite a bit, so I'm always looking a racier trail bike, or a more trail friendly, road trippable race bike...

There is no info on the Norco website about whether that would negate the warranty. It looks like a pretty low front end on the Revolver with just a 100mm fork, so a 120 mm looks like it would work without messing up the geometry. Most 100mm rear travel bikes usually have a 100 or 120 mm option up front.

Any thoughts one way or the other?

mtbr member
    Personally I think it would be great. Slacker head angle and a bit higher BB. The bike pretty aggressive. Are you looking at 7 or 9?

Erik

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I would be looking at the 9. In talking to my lbs today, norco said that a 120 mm fork wouldn't be covered under warranty? Doesn't make much sense to me as almost all 100 mm bikes can sport either a 100 or 120 mm fork. Personally I think a 120 mm fork would really make the bike

mtbr member
    I, too, am interested in the Revlover FS if I can put a 120 mm fork on it. From some of the early reviews that I read, it seems that this combo would make the perfect endurance machine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've ordered the 9.1 FS and will be converting it to 120mm, stealth reverb, XX1 cassette, grip shifter and my orange ENVE XC wheels, will post one pics when I get it. I was disappointed with the 70 degree 100mm but nothing a 120 can't fix. As far as warranty, I'm not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    I, too, am interested in the Revlover FS if I can put a 120 mm fork on it. From some of the early reviews that I read, it seems that this combo would make the perfect endurance machine.

You can convert the SID that comes with it to 120

RockShox Reba / SIDB Air Shaft, Solo Air, 120mm Travel 27.5" / 29", A3
    Last edited by BHRuss; 09-17-2015 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I noticed that there are different shocks spec'd on the different models. The top model has the Monarch XX, the 9.1 has a Fox CTD, and the 9.2 has a Monarch RL. What difference would there be in the Fox and the Monarch?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    I noticed that there are different shocks spec'd on the different models. The top model has the Monarch XX, the 9.1 has a Fox CTD, and the 9.2 has a Monarch RL. What difference would there be in the Fox and the Monarch?
    I wonder why they are not offering it with the new Fox DPS EVOL shock.

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Anyone ride the 27.5 Revolver FS yet?
    Adrenaline junkie.
    2x "big c" and enjoying life.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Has anyone done this yet? I have a Revolver 9.2 FS on order and am tempted to run a 120 mm fork but was hoping someone could report on their experience.
    Cheers
    2017 Kona Process 111
    2017 Trek Stache 7 Single Speed
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel

mtbr member
    I have a 9.2 FS and run the SID at 120 mm. Really nice sweet spot for this bike. Thought about putting a Pike on it and lowering it to 120, but the SID has been fine so far. It is really a fast bike that is plenty capable on the downs with a 120 mm fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120mm fork on new Norco Revolver FS?-20160123_035229935_ios_800x600.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Interesting upgrade... look forward to ride reports

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    I have a 9.2 FS and run the SID at 120 mm. Really nice sweet spot for this bike. Thought about putting a Pike on it and lowering it to 120, but the SID has been fine so far. It is really a fast bike that is plenty capable on the downs with a 120 mm fork.
    Any update on this, how is the Revolver working out? What was the final weight & build? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I just bought the frame and installed my 120 mm SID on it. Head angle measures 69 degrees with 2.25 tires. Bottom bracket is at 13".

I bought the large and am going to see how a 40 mm stem works as the reach seemed pretty long per Norco's website.

Ride report to follow shortly.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Wow, very fast bike. Many personal bests today.

I blew through all the travel on both ends which I never had before on the SID on this trail with my hardball. Not sure if that was a setup issue or the bike was hitting things faster and harder. I'll put more air in the fork and test it on my next ride. I might add a few psi in the rear too.

Rear end is not plush but soaks up roots well enough. Very happy with this frame and fork option.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Any advice on this fork swap? My gf has the Revolver 9.3 (basic components) which is fine except she is complaining about the fork in the rough choppy stuff. Stock fork is the 100mm Recon silver. She wants to go with a 120, and of course, I am now in charge of that project Are there any limitations on which 120 29er fork we can use?
    Any suggestions on a particular fork (trying to do this on a budget)? Used would be fine... if anyone has any leads on a good used 120 for this bike, any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

120 fork works awesome

mtbr member
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    @OP or just get an optic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    @OP or just get an optic?
    That's a logical question, and one I've been asking myself. I've heard the Optic has a very responsive feel, so it may be the perfect middle ground.

I think it's more a matter of weight, and how fast you want the bike to feel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am using my 27.5 Revolver FS with 120mm fork (DT Swiss OPM ODL) and it is superb. It is capable of almost everything. One of the best bikes I had so far.

Didnt get the optic 'cause I wanted full carbón and 100mm rear and 120 front it is more tan enough for me.

I have a Norco Range too, so I wanted to diferentiate both bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Well did you put a longer travel fork on the Revolver? And if so give me your impressions pros n cons...thx. I am considering the fox 34mm with 130mm travel for my revolver fs 9.1

mtbr member
    I have a Fox 34 with 130 and I would not put that fork on my Revolver 29er. 130f/100r with a slack HA does not seem like a balanced bike.

I think I stated the HA with the 120 SID somewhere in this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Well did you install it and ride it with the 130mm fork on it..how many rides did you get before giving a review on it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rood View Post
    Well did you install it and ride it with the 130mm fork on it..how many rides did you get before giving a review on it..
    I did not.

Too much fork for an XC racing bike.

However I road it with the 120 SID and it was incredible. Able to handle everything.

For some weight savings I now switched to a Fox Stepcast and its the fastest bike I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    i have the new 2017 SID 100mm fork on it, but I was told I can not change the travel on it to 120mm cause of the new charger dampner in it...that sucks. the 2016 sid fork was adjustable with a air spring assemble change out.

mtbr member
    i have the new 2017 SID 100mm fork on it, but I was told I can not change the travel on it to 120mm cause of the new charger dampner in it...that sucks. the 2016 sid fork was adjustable with a air spring assemble change out.
    Sell one of your forks and buy the 120 SID. Or just ride it with the 100mm up front. I ride some technical trails with the 100 mm Stepcast and never bottom out. The trails however do not have any big jumps or drops.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    130 mm yari
    sorry for my english

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    sorry for my english

mtbr member
    The Charger Sid may be the best fork I've ever ridden. It makes far better use of it's limited travel than any fork I've ridden before. (F32 and PIKEs). I had planned to swap out to a new Fox F34 120mm on my Revolver, but after giving the Sid w/ charger that came on the bike a few rides, I'm hesitating to make the switch. I was so committed to changing the fork, I have a NIB F34 in my basement!

I truly wish this new Sid could be extended to 120mm. I honestly feel the suspension performance is superior to the Pikes I've been riding for the last three years, and it has more than enough chassis stiffness for my 160 lb. (Far stiffer than a 2015 F32 I had on a prior bike.)

I'll likely throw that Fox F34 on the bike when the snow melts though, and post up a comparison.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki_Lo View Post
    130 mm yari
    That bike looks small under you. I bet you can rail on that thing and can flick/hop it wherever you want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    That bike looks small under you. I bet you can rail on that thing and can flick/hop it wherever you want.
    my frends says that I with 2 m heigh on 29 XL FS revolver like BMX rider :-)
    sorry for my english

mtbr member
    I put the 120mm F34 on my Revolver and am loving it. This bike now feels more like an extension of my body than any other bike I've owned or ridden. It's crazy how confident and intuitive it is. It was great with the 100mm Sid, it's even better with the 120mm F34.

I can say that compared against longer travel bikes it will still get overwhelmed in the truly fast and rough stuff, but it has to be really fast, and really rough. But I've never ridden a bike this fun.

120mm fork on new Norco Revolver FS?-fullsizerender-9.jpg

mtbr member
    Another one (under construction below), with FOX 34 FIT4 set at 120. The bike is indeed very much fun! The suspension, like all Horsts I owned, bobs unless you put in trail mode, but otherwise it is a very nice bike, and fast

120mm fork on new Norco Revolver FS?-bike-5.jpg

Compared to my Mojo HD3 it feels like a hard tail with a suspension fail safe, but the shock in open mode makes it surprisingly capable down hill, and overall it works. Sub 22 pounds in final configuration: it is exactly what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What fork offset are you guys running? Both for 100mm and 120mm? I have a 2016 9.3 frame I'm building up, ideally with a 100mm step cast or 100mm sid for faster racing and a 120mm fox 34 or new 120mm Pike for stuff that's rougher and all day riding/general purpose trail.

I haven't been able to find what they come with stock (only the model).

Brentos, do you notice any difference climbing with the 120 vs 100?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r_h_h View Post
    What fork offset are you guys running? Both for 100mm and 120mm? I have a 2016 9.3 frame I'm building up, ideally with a 100mm step cast or 100mm sid for faster racing and a 120mm fox 34 or new 120mm Pike for stuff that's rougher and all day riding/general purpose trail.

I haven't been able to find what they come with stock (only the model).

Brentos, do you notice any difference climbing with the 120 vs 100?
    My 100mm SID is a 46 offset, and my120mm F34 is a 51mm offset. I'm not sure what comes stock on the bikes as mine was built from a frame up.

I just put the SID back on tonight and will post tomorrow to confirm my first impressions.

I didn't notice a difference for climbing, I thought I would need to slide the saddle forward to compensate for the higher front end, but left it as is and didn't notice a difference.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    A 120mm fork will transform any short travel FS into a Marathon Trail Machine. I was gonna sell my 2012 Superfly 100 FS until I scored a Pike and Debonair shock.....OMFG. Yeah, scratch that plan now!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Since I last posted, I've ridden the Revolver a fair bit with the F34 120 and the SID 100.

This has confirmed my first impression of the new SID as a phenomenal fork. No perceptible chase flex vs the F34, and a very stable ride that does a great job making soaking up both large and small hits. It's 200 grams lighter too.

The F34 feels more playful, but less plush. The difference in geometry is noticeable, and I prefer the geometry with the 120mm fork. The fork performance is great, but different from the SID. It's really splitting hairs in that regard.

I also have run the bike with a Nobby Nic 29x2.6 quite a bit. Running the larger diameter tire with the SID 100mm actually has a similar effect to the ride quality that moving to a 120mm fork does. Folks who are considering going to a 120mm fork might want to try a 29x2.6 tire first.

Right now I have settled on the F34 w/ the 2.6 tire, it's fun in that configuration. Actually the most fun bike I've ridden. I've also set some PRs with this setup. I'm not sure what I will run for upcoming XC races, probably the 120mm fork w/ a 2.25 or 2.35 tire.

As much as I like the SID, and think it might be the better fork, it might not find it's way back onto the bike...if only the new generation SIDs could be extended to 120mm!

mtbr member
    Interesting choice of tire up front for a race bike.

I have a SID 120 FOR sale if anyone is interested.

I am currently running a Fox stepcast on my Revolver and it's is so much better than the SID in every way. Plus it weighs less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Interesting choice of tire up front for a race bike.

I have a SID 120 FOR sale if anyone is interested.

I am currently running a Fox stepcast on my Revolver and it's is so much better than the SID in every way. Plus it weighs less.
    For what it's worth, I've had the old SID (Pre 2017), and the new 2017 SID. The new for 2017 SID w/ charger damper is a totally different beast, but it cannot be extended beyond 100 mm travel...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=brentos;13193130]Right now I have settled on the F34 w/ the 2.6 tire, it's fun in that configuration. Actually the most fun bike I've ridden. I've also set some PRs with this setup. I'm not sure what I will run for upcoming XC races, probably the 120mm fork w/ a 2.25 or 2.35 tire.QUOTE]

This 2.6 up front with a 2.2 rear is something I want to try on my 27.5 hardtail. I'm on primitive rough singletrack. Lots of grinding/pedaling rough technical XC.

There was a video of guy railing on a Top Fuel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCGb-dG50R0) He had a 3.0 plus tire up front. I thought it was neat to see an XC bike ridden like that.

I envision that the Revolver with 120mm fork and 2.6 up front would be a weapon on rough XC. I had an offer on an XS 27.5 but it fell through, still looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post

This 2.6 up front with a 2.2 rear is something I want to try on my 27.5 hardtail. I'm on primitive rough singletrack. Lots of grinding/pedaling rough technical XC...

...I envision that the Revolver with 120mm fork and 2.6 up front would be a weapon on rough XC. I had an offer on an XS 27.5 but it fell through, still looking.
    I think that the revolver w/ 2.6 would meet your expectations. That's exactly how I use mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just FYI, saw a new you tube video on the Revolver design from NORCO
    NORCO Revolver Hanging Link Suspension
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLA8mEGvHQ

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm trying to find a 120 fork for my Revolver. Does the revolver have a straight or tapered steer tube ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    I'm trying to find a 120 fork for my Revolver. Does the revolver have a straight or tapered steer tube ?
    Tapered.

I have a Rock Shox SID 120mm with less than 40 miles on it and in excellent condition if you are interested. $480 shipped

Goes to 11

Revolver w/FOX 32 120mm

Been riding in this configuration for a couple of months now and loving the extra travel!
    I also really appreciate the Fox-32 FIT4 behavior over the SID RL which, to me, was very harsh on the small bumps.
    120mm fork on new Norco Revolver FS?-p_20170821_183453_hdr_1.jpg
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm looking at buying a used fork. How much steerer tube length do I need for 16' Revolver?

mtbr member
    I'm looking at buying a used fork. How much steerer tube length do I need for 16' Revolver?
    What size frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    What size frame?
    Medium.

mtbr member
    155mm is as short as I could fit in my Large. The Med has a 10mm shorter head tube, I wouldn't go any shorter than 145mm. This assumes that this gets the bars high enough relative to the saddle for your fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    ^ reply appreciated

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A 120mm F34 slackens the HA and SA half a degree or one whole degree?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    A 120mm F34 slackens the HA and SA half a degree or one whole degree?
    1 degree IIRC