WFO. Is it coming back?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

WFO. Is it coming back?

Anyone have any info if a new WFO is in the works?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nada? Nothing? Zilch? No one heard anything? I thought they hinted at a new WFO when the new Rip dropped.

Make since I have a 100mm RKT. 120mm Jet 140mm Rip and 160mm WFO

Or are they all in with Gravel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    another poster eluded to "wait til the new WFO comes out" - in another thread -

I suspect they will and that does seem a "hot" space right now - enduro ready long travel 29er that climbs - the old WFO was highly regarded during its lifetime -

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This summer. And itís big!
    Last edited by fiveo; 03-07-2020 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Believe it when I see it.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Talked to Niner rep at Sedona Mtb festival. He showed my a pic of the mold. He claimed Kurt was there riding one. Didnít get to stick around long enough to see it. Possibly 180/170 with the new Fox 38. Frame looked like a beefed up Rip. Also had frame ribs.

Would make sense why rip went back to a 140 bike

Rocks belong
    Man, I love the way CVA pedals. (Had a previous generation 150mm RIP9) Big, burly, long travel CVA? Color me interested.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Right now Iím pretty sold on the Ripmo AF. 4k for a coil and carbon wheels is hard to beat. But a WFO very much compliment the Jet

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So Niner is claiming a pedal WFO is in the works. Any speculation is it will be basically the eWFO minus the motor and Horst link? Could they just swap out the HL for CVA and be done? For me I would like to see a 160/170 bike.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    So Niner is claiming a pedal WFO is in the works. Any speculation is it will be basically the eWFO minus the motor and Horst link? Could they just swap out the HL for CVA and be done? For me I would like to see a 160/170 bike.
    IIRC the chatter I saw spoke to the HL being used on the 'e' because of the lesser impact of pedalling on suspension, so I'm guessing CVA on the 'p' version of the WFO ... unless they decided there's a different benefit to focusing the WFO on "less pedally" pursuits, then the HL with the increased under-bb clearance may still make more sense.

I'm a little challenged that both linkage types can't be tuned to desired behavior.

OTOH, maybe it's a much lesser effort to tune the eWFO to a pWFO than a whole new frameset.

shrug.

rambling on a Sunday morning. hah!

mtbr member
    I figured they used the HL because it's cheaper to manufacture than the CVA suspension. And the HL takes up a little less room (as already mentioned).

Also the turds that ride these e-bikes don't stand to pedal. I rarely see them with their ass's off the seat.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

The Hutch
    I'm throwing it out there, a total guess we will see a WFO by Jan. 2021..
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well I hope so. I canít get a Ripmo or Megatrail before then. Those are my two options right now.

Iíll say it again. They have the frame. Itís a beefed up Rip with rips around the shock. Expect 170/180. Iím hoping its just been delayed due to covid.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    IIRC the chatter I saw spoke to the HL being used on the 'e' because of the lesser impact of pedalling on suspension, so I'm guessing CVA on the 'p' version of the WFO ... unless they decided there's a different benefit to focusing the WFO on "less pedally" pursuits, then the HL with the increased under-bb clearance may still make more sense.

I'm a little challenged that both linkage types can't be tuned to desired behavior.

OTOH, maybe it's a much lesser effort to tune the eWFO to a pWFO than a whole new frameset.

shrug.

rambling on a Sunday morning. hah!
    They are probably just seeing the light, the CVA has provided basically the same kinematics as older HL bikes for years. If they tweaked it to a better pedaling design, it'd be infringing on the lines of SC, Ibis, etc. HL is free for anyone to use and *can* provide a decent pedaling bike if implemented correctly (which hasn't been done much in the past, but we are finally starting to see improvements over the last couple years). Although HL doesn't really provide any benefit over linkage SP and linkage SP ends up a little stiffer laterally, again, the HL can work just well and there was definitely no reason to be using CVA due to how niner has been tuning the kinematics. It'd be one thing if they were using a flat AS profile like Yeti, SC, Intense, (out to around 50%-75% of travel), but they haven't, just the giant sloping AS, like classic HL bikes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Come on Niner. Salsa just dropped a 165/180 bike. Freaking Salsa!!