Still love my 2017 Rip RDO!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Still love my 2017 Rip RDO!

It has been several years since I've kept a bike long enough to run it through several different iterations. I bought my Rip from a dealer whom had it as a demo bike. It was shipped to me here in WV from Cali in September of 2018. When I got the bike it looked brand new. The tires still had the little hairs on it and since it was a demo from a dealer I was able to keep the warranty. I had ridden a couple different versions at a trail side demo in the previous spring and really liked the longer top tube of the rip over my WFO I had at the time (witch I did also really like) but work was slow so I had to wait a while for a new bike purchase.

After several years, a trip to NC to ride black mountain, a few to Davis WV and countless local trail trips, I still really dig my Rip. I've ran it with an air shock, with a coil, with 29" tires and now with 27.5 x 2.8" with cush core inserts. I can honestly say this bike just can't shake me off.

Every time the new bike bug bites me I try riding the bike some where I haven't been in a while. Yesterday we had a trip to a place on the Maryland- West Virginia border planned. But the damn 'Rona has the guard gate closed. We ended up hitting the Wayne national just across the river over from us in Ohio. It's a good back country trail system that is pretty raw. Lots of off camber stuff, plenty of roots and rocks with some punchy short climbs and a few stretched out ones. But the big flow-killer there is the switch backs that are along the river side of the trail. These things are a pivot on the front wheel turn. It really tests your braking and trials bike skills.

When I get home from these rides I end up thanking my lucky stars that I didn't drop $3K on another frame. The new-bike-itis is a hell of a thing. I see all these "longer-lower-slacker" bikes and just think how well my Rip does with its "shorter-taller-steeper" geometry.

Now the Rip is not without fault. I'd love to get my dropper lower (see pic below). I run a V1 one up dropper post in 150 with about 10 mm of travel reduction. If I tried to insert it any lower I run into the internals of the rocker pivot. The cable routing could be a bit better but I applaud Niner for not doing internal brake hose routing on these frames. Who wants to take a messy hose apart just to change or clean something and then have DOT 4 dripping inside their frame? But the hose could be run a little better.

And the damn proximity of the crank arms to the chain stays! It really pissed me off when I built this bike that I had to swap the chain stay cover just to even use my much loved XO cranks. I know the stock race face cranks have more clearance but aluminum cranks suck (IMHO).

And finally the BB could be a touch taller. Even with the Niner extended headset cup it is still a bit low. Running the 2.8 tires with 15 and 17.5 psi F/R makes the pedals a bit close to the ground. That is with my DVO fork set to 160 mm of travel as well. I'm going to find an offset bushing for the lower shock eye to gain maybe a little more but I'd hate to mess with that wonderful CVA suspension geometry.

Any how... PICS!

"I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Chilling out
    I feel the same way about mine, was very happy when Niner was able to get me a replacement triangle.

I really need to get out to WNC with my bike, dang pandemic.

I was confused by your dropper issue since I've a 150mm KS dropper but then I figured it out, mine is a LEV DX so the cable anchor is external, I don't have the extra fiddly bits and wacky internal routing that would happen to avoid the pivot bolt. It MAY be possible for me to use a 175mm KS LEV DX but I'm not sure. There is some more room (my KS collar is 41mm above the seat post clamp, but I haven't tried for extreme insertion.

I also think highly of the whole package ... I've still the stock MonarchPlus DebonAir shock and Lyrik 170 fork and things feel very well matched to e, and I have no complaints about any surface, but crud I bet the right coil setup takes it to a different level.