Snapped Upper Shock Bolt Jet9 RDO - SECOND TIME in less than 800 miles- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Snapped Upper Shock Bolt Jet9 RDO - SECOND TIME in less than 800 miles

First time it happened: https://forums.mtbr.com/niner-bikes/...s-1110661.html
    Part was warrantied by Niner but i was down for 2 weeks waiting for the bolt

Today, just cruising on nice singletrack, get on a doubletrack, stand up to climb a hill, hear this "pop" and the whole rear of the frame drops down. Walk back to the car, luckily only quarter mile.

Just like last time, upper shock bolt snapped. WTF!!
    Checked my shock - set in medium and not bottomed out

Bike now has 775 miles so am I expected to replace this bolt every 300-400 miles?

I love, love this Jet9 RDO but the quality issues on the bolt im not sure if its worth it and especially on any long endurance rides.

[UPDATE 03.30.2020 - Emailed Niner, receiving new stainless steel bolts]

Last edited by OttaCee; 6 Days Ago at 04:06 AM.

Chilling out
    Have your shop measure and check the spec, you could probably find an identically sized/threaded bolt in steel or titanium if you feel it necessary.

If you have a good fastener supplier in your area you could find a replacement locally.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This is not a good apllication for an aluminum bolt that puts the bending stress on the stress riser formed by the threads.

For my 2016 RIP 9 Carbon (which is carbon front triangle, aluminum rear), I used these

McMaster Carr part number: 91292A156
    18-8 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, 55 mm Long

And trimmed to length with a hacksaw and a file.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    This is not a good apllication for an aluminum bolt that puts the bending stress on the stress riser formed by the threads.

For my 2016 RIP 9 Carbon (which is carbon front triangle, aluminum rear), I used these

McMaster Carr part number: 91292A156
    18-8 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread, 55 mm Long

And trimmed to length with a hacksaw and a file.
    You the man! I will remove the bolt to verify measurements.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thatís crazy! My 2017 Jet 9 RDO has never had this problem!

My shock has been removed plenty of times for maintenance, bike has been jumped, crashed, rolled on top of by a 220 pound friend when I crashed in front of him causing him to crash...

Bad batch of bolts?

Even if you source a new bolt from somewhere else, I would make sure Niner knows about this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    Bad batch of bolts?
    No, it is poor design. Aluminum bolts are not a good idea for this application, especially when the bending moment is concentrated right where the threads end. The design should have put the load on the smooth part of the cylinder or used a shoulder bolt and used a captive nut to merely supply tension. The rocker design is even worse since it has threads on the inside and outside of a hollow aluminum tube that end right where the bending moment is.

Note that the replacement bolt I mentioned above has the same problem due to the design, but it is stainless steel.

Having said all that, I love the way the bike rides, I just wish the designers would have paid attention to some design basics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I understand your point, but why has mine lasted several seasons of abuse while he is on his second broken bolt already?

Iím not a featherweight, about 190-195 pounds and Iíve certainly pushed the bike enough to break a weak point such as that...

Where it has broken looks a lot like an over torqued bolt or simply a batch of bolts that were not to spec, OR the spec changed...

Aluminum bolts donít seem to deal well with over torquing, who installed the bolts initially?

Iíve found shops almost never use a torque wrench...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    Aluminum bolts donít seem to deal well with over torquing, who installed the bolts initially?

Iíve found shops almost never use a torque wrench...
    Well Niner installed the first bolt since it came that way from the factory
    Second bolt was installed by my shop with me there watching them, yes it was properly torqued.

Where it broke is right where the thread starts like the prior poster said.

Bike is not abused, jumped or even been crashed. Yes im 225lbs but should not matter unless the bolts used are not designed to handle my forces.

My shop is closed to the COVID-19 so im stuck without a bike for....who knows? Ill reach out to Niner if they want to help me or go aftermarket for a solid reliable option. I really do not want to sell this bike over broken bolts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I pulled mine to look at it. Is yours hollow?

Mine appears to be solid, but the picture you posted in your old thread it looks like a hollow bolt.

Possible they switched to a hollow bolt and thatís the problem?

mtbr member
    Images of the snapped bolt, broke right at the start of the threads

Reached out tonight to Niner to share my photos and prior experiences. Will see how this works out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snapped Upper Shock Bolt Jet9 RDO - SECOND TIME in less than 800 miles-8dkb18g.jpg  

Snapped Upper Shock Bolt Jet9 RDO - SECOND TIME in less than 800 miles-m69ouxp.jpg  

mtbr member
    UPDATE: Niner is sending me a brand new bolt. And its stainless steel so im very happy to be confident riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    UPDATE: Niner is sending me a brand new bolt. And its stainless steel so im very happy to be confident riding the bike.
    Thatís great news!

Happy to hear they are going to be able to fix it for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Snapped Upper Shock Bolt Jet9 RDO - SECOND TIME in less than 800 miles-20170625-niner-upper-shock-bolt-rocker.jpg

Mine also broke at the start of the threads. It would be better if the smooth part of the bolt were longer and extended into a smooth bore and was secured by a captive nut. That would concentrate the bending moment on the smooth shaft. Stainless bolts will have the same problem, but will last longer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry, duplicate post.