Small crack on Jet 9 at seat post collar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Small crack on Jet 9 at seat post collar

I bought my Jet 9 Carbon frame (carbon frame w/alu rear) in 2016 on a closeout from Competitive Cyclist and had the bike shop move all the parts over from my Salsa that I was riding. The bike has been generally great, but I just discovered (rather the bike shop discovered) that the frame is cracked near the seat post collar. Some time back - I can't remember exactly when, I started getting some slippage of the seat post. It would come down 1-2 cm in the course of a ride. This was with the Niner seat post collar and the Salsa seatpost. I got another collar, but the problem continued. Then I got a Thompson seatpost and collar, which didn't help at all. The post still kept slipping. Finally I ordered a Niner branded post and got a qr collar. Even with this I had to tighten the clamp as tight as it would go to keep the post from slipping. I thought all was good with it until I took the bike in for some work and the shop found this crack. The shop is a Niner dealer, so he called them and asked about a possible warranty. They said that since I was using an aftermarket collar, I had voided the warranty. I understand their logic, but the Niner clamp wasn't getting the job done. So now I have a fairly new frame with a cracked seat tube and no way to fix it. Here's a pic.

Small crack on Jet 9 at seat post collar-niner-crack.jpg

Is it safe to continue riding this bike? Could I maybe put some type of clamp around the cracked area to reinforce it? Would duct tape and super glue fix it? Any advice is appreciated.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    The shop should have put some carbon paste on that mofo. Did they? Also the crack looks like the seat tube was pinched to fit a seatpost of the incorrect diameter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here we go. LBS/ Online sales seat post failure 2.0. Letís see how this plays out

I missed the Niner/Salsa irony

mtbr member
    With Niners stellar warranty service I would not worry, they will be the best, greatest company ever after bankruptcy, they only did that to be better then they were before!
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    The shop should have put some carbon paste on that mofo. Did they? Also the crack looks like the seat tube was pinched to fit a seatpost of the incorrect diameter.
    Holy crap, after reading that I checked the specs on that frame and it says it takes a 31.6 sp. I have been using a 30.9 the whole time. No wonder. Nothing like discovering you are an idiot in front of the whole world. In my defense, when the bike shop built this up for me, they took the 30.9 off of my Salsa and it worked fine for a while. So when I went to replace it, I thought that was the right size. Hopefully, I can get the correct size post and the crack won't get any worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Holy crap, after reading that I checked the specs on that frame and it says it takes a 31.6 sp. I have been using a 30.9 the whole time. No wonder. Nothing like discovering you are an idiot in front of the whole world. In my defense, when the bike shop built this up for me, they took the 30.9 off of my Salsa and it worked fine for a while. So when I went to replace it, I thought that was the right size. Hopefully, I can get the correct size post and the crack won't get any worse.
    Bike shop fail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    Bike shop fail
    I'm sure they will be glad to buy me a new frame. The guy that built it doesn't even work there any more. To be fair, they didn't bitch when I brought in a mail order frame and asked them to build it for me. OTOH, I also asked them if they could match the deal before I ordered it online, so I'm not a total jerk. I think CC bought up all the 2015 Jet 9 frames that Niner had left at that time and was blowing them out for $1,200.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    That suuuuuuucks.

I dont know if this will work in your case, but I have seen people who have cut down their seat tube to lower the collar.

Its at least worth exploring as it may be the cheapest way to *fix* this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Qb97HHj1Q

mtbr member
    Interesting. But no. Not taking a hacksaw to my Jet 9. I think finding a clamp of some sort to reinforce that area might be the best bet. I also found a shim for the seat post.

mtbr member
    You might try a 31.6 -> 27.2 shim and epoxy it into the frame, then run a 27.2 seat post. I've never tried anything like this myself, just an idea I had.

mtbr member
    Was the clamp bolt tightened to the proper torque? Most seat post clamp bolts are in the range of 2.5Nm to 5Nm depending on the model. The post clamp torque has a direct relationship to clamping force. Over tightening it will break a seat post tube, carbon or otherwise.

mtbr member
    following

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    Was the clamp bolt tightened to the proper torque? Most seat post clamp bolts are in the range of 2.5Nm to 5Nm depending on the model. The post clamp torque has a direct relationship to clamping force. Over tightening it will break a seat post tube, carbon or otherwise.
    Does not matter if the the seatpost was the wrong size.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I'm sure they will be glad to buy me a new frame. The guy that built it doesn't even work there any more. To be fair, they didn't bitch when I brought in a mail order frame and asked them to build it for me. OTOH, I also asked them if they could match the deal before I ordered it online, so I'm not a total jerk. I think CC bought up all the 2015 Jet 9 frames that Niner had left at that time and was blowing them out for $1,200.
    I NEVER understand this deal with an LBS. I bought my last frame on-line and had the LBS provide me a service (building my bike) and they charged me for that service. I brought in the wrong BB cups...the LBS called and told me so...they then asked if they wanted me to buy them from them and get them installed OR bring in the correct ones. What they didn't do was: shoehorn in something that didn't belong.

If the LBS bitched about my frame purchase, I would have found someone else to throw my money at. The fact that you paid for a service and they didn't competently provide that service should piss you off...unless they built it for free (and, even then, I'd prolly not trust that shop again)

#endrant

mtbr member
    So I got a shim from Jenson and rode 14 miles with it yesterday. The creaking sound is gone and the post did not slip. So I hope the crack won't get any worse. I'm not really into spending a couple grand on a new frame right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bankruptcy or no bankruptcy, Niner is not going to warranty a very dumb mistake like this. Prime reason to learn to build your own bike. Ever since I stopped going to bikeshops and receiving shitty service and paying for mistakes, my bike is always built properly.