SIR 9 Paint Crack or Frame Crack??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SIR 9 Paint Crack or Frame Crack??

My SIR 9 has developed some cracks by the two front welds on top by the pedal damn it and on the downtube in the same spot. Is this most likely the paint cracking from flex or are these cracks developing??

bottom
    Last edited by AaronJobe; 06-23-2012 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Photo please.

mtbr member
    Jeez we are supposed to give you a guess without even a picture?

Ok, I will. Fatigue failure of the metal around the weld.

Paint can normally easily stretch more than the amount of flex in that area. Its not just a coincidence it is near a weld and near the bottom bracket. That's a common place for frames to crack.

mtbr member
    Thats common for MCR's too.
    The spot to watch on these bikes is the seam on the rear der. hanger's "hook."
    And then be prepared to battle for warranty

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My sir 9 had what looked to be a crack on the gusset but it turned out to be just the paint. Pedaler845, not sure what you mean. I had an old style air 9 that had a defect and niner swapped it out right away with no issues. All they asked for was proof of purchase, which seemed quite fair to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    Maybe yours was within the first 2 years?

What I mean is theyre warrantee hardasses.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mine was within the warranty period and i was the original owner. I take it that is not your situation. I don't think having a plan in place and following it constitutes them being "hardasses". Did you not enter into your frame purchase knowing the warranty period? Were you mislead about the warranty? that would be a good reason to be upset but i doubt that is the case. Its a steel frame, you can always have it repaired. That is the awesome thing about steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    updated with pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I wouldnt say the frame is cracked yet but that brown stuff around the crack looks like corrosion coming out. I would first ask Niner if they sell touch-up kits and if they do chip off the paint and have a look-see at what is going on. Just remember that once corrosion starts you can't necessarily stop it but you can pause it long term.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    updated with pics
    I would get that professionally inspected. You can get crack testing done on welds. However ask Niner what to do first as yours is still warrantied.

In structural steelwork corrosion byproducts leaching through the paint usually means a crack. In your case it might just be that the paint has cracked and allowed some surface rust to form under the paint.

In any case you are going to need to restore that paintwork. You should have got a tube of touch up paint with the frame.

mtbr member
    Im pretty sure that is frame saver that leaked through. I definitely think it is cracked

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Well then chip away. If you don't want to cause damage to the steel just in case you should start with at a minimum 320 grit or smaller sandpaper. If you use anything too big you will accelerate corrosion to literally an overnight process if you live in a humid area. When you sand metal you are carving nice little valleys for the electrolyte to sit so be careful.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    What does NINER or the dealer say?

Whether youre the original owner of under 2 years or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Let us know what you hear back from Niner, It seems my sir9 just starting doing the same in the same spots and this is my second sir9, the first cracked at the rear derailler hook.

mtbr member
    Taking it in to the Niner Dealer tomorrow afternoon I will keep the thread updated

Always a good day to ride
    Bummer, but I am sure that Niner will take care of you. From what I hear, they are great at customer service and warranty. Please let us know what you find out from Niner or the local dealer.

My buddy has a problem in the same area with his SIR. His does not seen to be showing any cracking like yours, but his bike is pretty new and it is leaking a rusty fluid out of the gusset/toptube junction when he rides. His bike only has 5 or 6 rides on it and it has never seen water. He is taking it into his dealer later this week.

EDIT: My buddies bike is also a Kermit Green SIR. It looks that Niner was able to eliminate this gusset in the design of the new SIR - http://forums.mtbr.com/niner-bikes/n...te-796191.html
    Last edited by bik_ryder; 06-27-2012 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That happened to my Kermit MCR within a couple months and I've seen it on every Sir/MCR I've inspected in person..I added a bunch of the touch-up paint but that stuff sucks. I would use clear nail polish instead..

The deal is that they don't weld that side and fill it with some sort of bondo..

ETA - mine was also rusty (like the OPs) after a short time..great spot for helmet sweat/drizzle to pour all over!

Always a good day to ride
    My buddy finally got around to dropping his bike off at the dealer today. How did everyone else's situations turn out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bik_ryder View Post
    My buddy finally got around to dropping his bike off at the dealer today. How did everyone else's situations turn out?
    I am taking mine into the dealer so they can take pics tomorrow after I ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Dropped mine off at the shop a few days ago. Niner wants them to send the frame in for inspection.

SIR 9 Paint Crack or Frame Crack??-sir9crack.jpg

mtbr member
    Is yours chipped on the bottom also?

mtbr member
    Mine did the same thing within a few months. I contacted Niner, and they said it was likely just the paint...and to use the touch-up paint that came with the frame. That stuff sucks, but (sorta) works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Is yours chipped on the bottom also?
    No I don't think so. When I saw the crack on the top tube I did a quick check around the bike and didn't see anything else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would use clear nail polish instead..
    Works like a charm, so far.... used the crappy touchup paint, 3 coats, let dry and then 2 coats of clear nail polish and then ride... time will tell if it's just the paint cracking or is an actual stress crack in the steel.

I wish Niner would chime in and put this post to rest

mtbr member
    My touch up paint is garbage...Niner my dealer sent pics what is going on???

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just an update: Niner came through and gave me a replacement frame. It seems the crack was not just in the paint. Kudos to Niner for taking the time and effort to ensure I got a safe ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here is mine.
    Bought approx 6 months ago, but one of last years models.
    All of the On-One steel frames I have did exactly the same.
    Brant Richards, who designed the On-One range said that not welding it is deliberate, & that the frame would crack if it was welded up. I plan to touch it up before the weather gets too bad.

IMAG0945 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0944 by pten2106, on Flickr

I did it all for the kudo
    My touch up paint is garbage...Niner my dealer sent pics what is going on???
    I was just wondering what ever came of this. Just noticed my MCR is doing this too... Hopefully it's just the paint cracking.

mtbr member
    I'm really surprised that Niner has not chimed in on this yet. I also had my dealer take pics but I have never heard back. I also have a deposit on a rip RDO but am contemplating getting my money back.

mtbr member
    Takisawa2, the cracks that havent rusted yet in your pic look like a problem

mtbr member
    For a case such as this you will want to follow up with your dealer, as they will have all of your case information. If you have any direct questions give the guys a call in rider support 877-ninerxc.

Niner Bikes,
    Brad

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

WRM
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    For a case such as this you will want to follow up with your dealer, as they will have all of your case information. If you have any direct questions give the guys a call in rider support 877-ninerxc.

Niner Bikes,
    Brad
    Is this a know issue w/ all MCR/SIR frames? Just earlier models? Is it a paint issue or actual structural issue w/ the weld? I would imagine if there are multiple instances of this coming up on mtbr there are probably many more like it out there.

Thinking of picking up an MCR but the crack on the HT gusset issues has me wondering. Would be great to hear Niner's take on this (beyond 'contact dealer to follow up').

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM View Post
    Is this a know issue w/ all MCR/SIR frames? Just earlier models? Is it a paint issue or actual structural issue w/ the weld? I would imagine if there are multiple instances of this coming up on mtbr there are probably many more like it out there.

Thinking of picking up an MCR but the crack on the HT gusset issues has me wondering. Would be great to hear Niner's take on this (beyond 'contact dealer to follow up').
    Agree.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845 View Post
    Thats common for MCR's too.
    The spot to watch on these bikes is the seam on the rear der. hanger's "hook."
    And then be prepared to battle for warranty
    Agreed! Just went through a long ordeal getting mine replaced, now I'm arguing with the dealer that charged me $300 more than what they quoted for my replacement upgrade frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

First post and sadly my MCR9 has the paint crack

Hi Guys.

First post! Long time lurker.

I got a response from the Australian distributor today that Niner will replace my frame (same issue as the others with the seam on the top tube near the head tube). I'll try to upload an image. Water has gotten in there and now there is rust.
    Frame has had less than a year of regular riding.

BUT I've been told that there are no green frames available and I have to have the moondust grey as a replacement.
    That's a bittersweet remedy (more bitter than sweet).
    That colour is the company car colour of the entire Niner range. Not allowed to repaint it as that will void the warranty.

Stuck between a crack and a boring place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIR 9 Paint Crack or Frame Crack??-rustyniner1.jpg  

SIR 9 Paint Crack or Frame Crack??-ninersunset.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

The other "cracks"...

The other "cracks" are just the edges of the helicopter tape...

I have been in touch with my Dealer who is confident Niner will authorise a replacement, but is likely to be next years model.
    He also tells me his own 07' frame, & that of his contact at Niner, have gone the same way but with no ill effects. I'm not overly concerned but expected better given the price.
    Now hoping Niner come up trumps & replace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well they finally came back to me, (via the dealer).
    Basically, they're not going to do anything.
    I'm very dissapointed.
    I expected better from a $1393 frame. (Thats the retail in the UK).
    Lovely bike but this really has left me wishing I'd spent my money elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Wow that is ********!!

mtbr member
    Big thanks to Niner for replacing my frame although I had a great color scheme going a 2013 arctic white with white Rdo fork will be awesome decked out in gold!
    Last edited by AaronJobe; 01-04-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0