Is the RKT 9 RDO Right for Me?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is the RKT 9 RDO Right for Me?

I've long been a Niner fan, I started out with an Air 9 Carbon and loved it. I got a little older and moved to a Jet 9 RDO that I bought in 2012. It has a 71.5 head tube angle, 100mm front and rear, spec'd out with Easton carbon wheels and XX1, it has been my favorite ride. But it is getting kind of dated, I've recently noticed how much flex is in that rear 135mm QR that holds my rear wheel on, and I'm interested in getting something new that is stiffer.

I've read every review about the RKT 9 RDO, even every thread I could find here on MTBR. But I could use some personalized advice for my situation from the experts here.

I'm 6 foot 3, 180 pound XC guy living in Provo, Utah. I like to keep my wheels on the wheels on the ground, climb, and wear spandex. I don't race a lot of races, but I like to put one big one on the calendar like the PCP2P (75 miles of single track, 13,000 feet of climbing) to get me motivated. My training rides consist of 1.5 hour sessions where I try and get as much climbing in as I can, usually around 2,000 feet, sometimes more. Utah is steep, most of my rides are up, up, up, up, up, down. There isn't much in between or flat stuff in the Uinta mountains where I ride. Once in a rare while I will go down to St. George or Moab. this summer I might do the High Cascade 100 race in Bend.

I love to climb, and the climbs in Utah are steep. Sometimes the trails suck and are really loose. I think if I bought one of those trendy slacked out bikes that are more trail than XC, like the current Jet 9, I would be walking my bike up some of the steep local climbs. I haven't demo'd the new Jet 9, but I think the slack geo would put the weight too far back on the climbs. I would be leaning forward to compensate, and then my rear wheel would spin out on the loose stuff.

But I am a bit nervous to reduce my rear suspension from 100mm to 90mm. Most of the reviews say that the new geometry and solid feeling of the boost axles help in this department, and you don't miss that 10mm at all.

I'm also a bit nervous to do a 120mm fork up front. I've always ridden 100mm front forks, so moving up to 120mm would be a new step, and I wonder how it will climb compared to the 100. Of course it will descend a lot better than the 100mm, both with the added travel and slightly slacker head tube angle. It does seem a bit weird to do 90mm and 120mm up front, like someone else said on here, a reverse mullet (party up front, business in the back). But maybe the overall geometry will do everything that I need it to, and I have a sneaking hunch that this bike will be totally awesome. I could do a 100mm fork, but all the builds are spec'ing 120mm and it seems like that is the trend.

I also looked at the Pivot Mach 429 SL. Seems like a nice bike but over a half pound heavier than the Niner. The Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29 also looks good, but I've never ridden a Giant and for some reason it doesn't excite me.

Any thoughts for my situation would be much appreciated.

mtbr member

Is the RKT 9 RDO Right for Me?

Iím sorta in the same boat except where I did is up down up down (quarry)flat flat flat. Florida Lol
    And yea the RKTs 90/120 thing does seem kinda weird, but Iíve yet to try one but itís on my short list along with the heavier 429sl, and a dark horse in a BMC Agonist (110/110) with another DWish linkage design. Iím not really considering single pivots after enjoying my Ď12 Jet RDO.
    With all your up up up, you probably donít want the extra weight of the RKT 120 34 fork either.

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I took some test rides on the Agonist 01 and like it a lot, but had pedal strikes, and it wouldn't take a 2.4 tire. So I'm trying to decide between RKT and Agonist, waiting to see who buys Niner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    With all your up up up, you probably donít want the extra weight of the RKT 120 34 fork either.

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!
    Yeah the lightweight racing forks out there like the Fox 32 SC and the Sid World Cup are only 100mm of travel. So if I go 120mm Iím adding a half pound right there.

For that reason, Iím thinking of going 100mm and running a more forgiving 2.35 inch tire. Combined with Stanís Valor Pro wheels that are supposed to have some absorbing qualities, the boost technology should make it a solid feeling descender. Maybe Iíll go with a wider bar to give a bit more confidence.

I also really like the Scott Spark, the 900 SL HMX is really light and a proven platform. The twin lock is interesting but I donít think it is necessary to lock out the fork as much as the shock. Unfortunately the high end Spark is twice the cost as a Niner RKT frame, which isnít cheap either.

mtbr member
    Is the RKT 9 RDO Right for Me?-f19484f6-f5d8-4a1b-b73e-fd19cf2e8381.jpg

Looking at an upcoming race, the PCP2P, there are several 2,000 foot descents and one 1,000 for descent, these go on forever. Of course, there is an equal amount of climbing. The races are won on the climbs but you canít crash on a descent either, you have to do both well. Iím starting to talk myself into the bike but out of the race...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I ended up buying a RKT 5 star, really loving it so far after about 5 rides. No pedal strikes like some of the other demo bikes I road, fast going through twisty sections and rock gardens. Shifts are perfect with the Eagle drivetrain and I appreciate the Eagle 01 shifter that lets you adjust the lever location, got me a few extra gears with one push. So far I don't have any complaints or second thoughts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Races like that are why I went with the Jet. It can climb and descend

mtbr member
    I got the RKT 4 Star, though Iíve since upgraded the wheels to a set of Carbon Nox i26 wheels with I9 hubs.

I absolutely love this bike. Although having less travel than my old Jet 9 RDO, it feels like more travel, all a result of a combination of the boost spacing (versus my old 135mm QR), the stiff Fox 120mm 34 fork, the wider wheels and tires. It climbs like a goat and descends with a ton of confidence. I traded bikes with a friend today who has the Trek Top Fuel, he remarked how light the and nimble it felt, despite both bikes being about the same weight.

At 70 degrees head angle, the RKT is definitely a bike that is meant to excel on the climbs and it doesnít disappoint. Other bikes I was looking at like the Pivot Mach 429 SL probably descend better, but for me this bike checks all the boxes for a XC centric machine and strikes the perfect balance of climbing and descending for my terrain.

I like turtles
    I ride a 2018 RKT 9 RDO 5-star with the 120mm Fox 34. The bike is absolutely sick. I came off an older 29er HT so this is like night/day. The 90mm out back is more than adequate unless you are bombing huge DHs. I'm a 170 short XC type and this bike fits the bill perfectly. The 70 deg HA with the 120 is fine, I'm old school so this feels normal to me. I run a dropper on mine so I'll call mine a "rowdy XC" bike.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

I like turtles
    I ride a 2018 RKT 9 RDO 5-star with the 120mm Fox 34. The bike is absolutely sick. I came off an older 29er HT so this is like night/day. The 90mm out back is more than adequate unless you are bombing huge DHs. I'm a 170 short XC type and this bike fits the bill perfectly. The 70 deg HA with the 120 is fine, I'm old school so this feels normal to me. I run a dropper on mine so I'll call mine a "rowdy XC" bike. The whole "long/low/slack" thing is going a bit far IMHO for average riders riding average trails...this bike is really where most folks should be.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    I sort of wonder if the trend pendulum of slack head tube angles might start swinging back towards a more reasonable 69 degrees. There is something to be said for wanting a XC bikeís front wheel to stay planted on the climbs. I have mine setup just like yours and with the 120 fork, dropper post, and chubby 2.35 Ikon tires it can handle everything I want it to. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Niner rkt-9 dream bike

Stumbled onto this thread...a year later. I've been riding Niner FS bikes for the past 5 years, I have a '13 Jet 9 Carbon, and have had a '17 and now a '19 RKT-9. I sold my '17 because I wanted a 1x12 and longer travel fork. I think the '19 is perfect. I put on Stan's Arch CB7 wheels, compared to my '17 Niner carbon wheels. I love the 120mm fork/ 90mm shock pairing. I'm 5'9 150lbs, 51 yo cross-country fanatic but love going fast down hill on smooth and rough stuff. Setting up your suspension well and the RDO carbon makes this thing feel fast and smooth. I am super pleased with the CB7's. Stan's lives up to the vertical compliance, lateral stiffness mantra with their carbon wheels. I just did a first look video review for the RKT-9, with part 2 to come. Is the RKT 9 RDO Right for Me?-20190322_174228.jpghttps://youtu.be/sstCiEcLzSs
    https://youtu.be/sstCiEcLzSs

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm about the same size did you go with the medium or small frame?

Quote Originally Posted by DrND View Post
    Stumbled onto this thread...a year later. I've been riding Niner FS bikes for the past 5 years, I have a '13 Jet 9 Carbon, and have had a '17 and now a '19 RKT-9. I sold my '17 because I wanted a 1x12 and longer travel fork. I think the '19 is perfect. I put on Stan's Arch CB7 wheels, compared to my '17 Niner carbon wheels. I love the 120mm fork/ 90mm shock pairing. I'm 5'9 150lbs, 51 yo cross-country fanatic but love going fast down hill on smooth and rough stuff. Setting up your suspension well and the RDO carbon makes this thing feel fast and smooth. I am super pleased with the CB7's. Stan's lives up to the vertical compliance, lateral stiffness mantra with their carbon wheels. I just did a first look video review for the RKT-9, with part 2 to come. https://youtu.be/sstCiEcLzSs
    https://youtu.be/sstCiEcLzSs

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Medium, fits great.