Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Before repair

Before repair

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    oops! Makes my Jet 9 break look like a scatch.

mtbr member
    Can you post some closer pics of the repair job, maybe in sunlight. So from what I can see, they welded the cracked area and then added vertical braces front and rear of the ST - is that about it? Was it heat treated after? Looks like they also PCd it for you Let us know how it rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

banned
    Sep 2007
    You'll need a new low mount front derailleur now, and a modification of your RP23 housing so that it doesn't impact and bump in to the front derailleur band near the bottom of travel. Let all the air out of the shock and check the cycling of the suspension to see where the material needs to be filed away off of the shock.

What was the cost of the repair?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    You'll need a new low mount front derailleur now, and a modification of your RP23 housing so that it doesn't impact and bump in to the front derailleur band near the bottom of travel. Let all the air out of the shock and check the cycling of the suspension to see where the material needs to be filed away off of the shock.

What was the cost of the repair?
    I checked the travel -- nothing comes close

I'm running 1X9- no need for der, just an IB keeper The bike was set up with a der boss that was eliminated.

The repair cost down time, total disassembly and reassembly--not bad. I'm sure the welder will have some favors to call soon. Also replaced all eight bearings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

reassembly complete

reassembly complete- time to ride.

banned
    just my .02 but I would have powder coated the whole frame. Kinda looks like a band-aid but functional I guess.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    just my .02 but I would have powder coated the whole frame. Kinda looks like a band-aid but functional I guess.
    Cant see putting more energy into this repair before its a proven fix--If I had deep pockets I would have opted for the crash replacement at 1K.

banned
    I would be willing to bet anything that it on't break again with all that bracing on the seat tube. For all those that don't know, DON'T BUY A USED RIP WITH A 31.6 SEAT DIAMETER!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Can you post some closer pics of the repair job, maybe in sunlight. So from what I can see, they welded the cracked area and then added vertical braces front and rear of the ST - is that about it? Was it heat treated after? Looks like they also PCd it for you Let us know how it rides.
    There is no need to heat treat that frame after the repair. The original RIP 9 frames were 7005 series aluminum. While you can accelerate the aging process of 7005 through heat treating, it will age at room temperature over time (about 2 weeks).

The repair job does have a little "Mad Max" look to it, but I it will keep someone riding their bike.

mtbr member
    Got to agree with CRuso, I don't think it could have cost more than maybe $50 more to get the entire frame PCd in that sweet semi matter black I think that repair will hold up fine and that PC will surely outlast that original paint.

You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I would be willing to bet anything that it on't break again with all that bracing on the seat tube. For all those that don't know, DON'T BUY A USED RIP WITH A 31.6 SEAT DIAMETER!!!!!!!!
    WTF Dude?

mtbr member
    why not get a raplacement from niner? wasnt it covered...

banned

what part is confusing to you?

WTF Dude?
    All the RIP's that broke at the seat tube junction were 31.6 seatpost diameter. They later made the seatube walls thicker thus the 30.9 size to fix the problem. If you are comfortable buying a frame with no warranty that has a known breakage issue, go ahead. I am just saying that you should do your homework before buying a used frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    why not get a raplacement from niner? wasnt it covered...
    ]I bought it used from a Niner dealer through ebay, No warranty on this defective v1.0 frame.
    Niner knows of this history but will not recall or warranty the frame if not purchased at retail pricing new. According to Niner a frame every 2 to 3 weeks is showing up failed in this same manner.
    Had a great ride today- rides like before the failure!

Expert Crasher
    Repair looks solid! Enjoy the ride!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Oct 2005
    Got any details of the repair, in terms of who did it, and if they specialize in bikes and can heat treat?

Over the Hill
    I see you are running a 1x9, are you able to put a FD on there after the fix?

Dean

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Got any details of the repair, in terms of who did it, and if they specialize in bikes and can heat treat?
    A friend of mine in the marine alum fab business. Not "heat treated" the repair.

Oct 2005
    I didn't ask if he heat treated the frame. I asked if he's capable of doing it if the need arises for a job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I see you are running a 1x9, are you able to put a FD on there after the fix?

Dean

I'm sure there is a way but no need for me. Had to eliminate the top pull boss. Check out the before and after picts.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny D
    reassembly complete- time to ride.
    You call that complete? The pivot bolt is missing on the rocker arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I didn't ask if he heat treated the frame. I asked if he's capable of doing it if the need arises for a job.
    The frame was treated with imence heat.
    absolutley capable

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You call that complete? The pivot bolt is missing on the rocker arm.
    the pivot BOLTS are missing on the rocker
    Bolt=shmolt
    not nessesary
    wheres the spell correction?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Whoaaaa.......

Upon full compression I'm willing to bet that cross-brace on the swingarm contacts the new gusset.

mtbr member

Here's mine...

Got back to doing everything I had been doing brfore on this and it held strong...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Forward gussett view

Another closeup. Plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Your buddy should go into the RIP frame repair business.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Didn't think of this until now, but do you have any trouble with the cross brace on the rear tri hitting the vertical patch/brace on full compression?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Looks like pretty solid work. If it holds up, it looks like you still ended up with a great deal on a Niner RIP frame, even with the repair work.

mtbr member
    Niner knows of this history but will not recall or warranty the frame if not purchased at retail pricing new. According to Niner a frame every 2 to 3 weeks is showing up failed in this
    That is not how the world should work. You build a frame that has a design flaw. You correct the flaw in the next version. You should support the owners of earlier frames, regardless of their ownership status, when the error is known.

From here, we do not know the true numbers of functioning vs. failed frames. The volume of Niner vs. say Cannondale is what must protect them from the eye of CSPC recalls. Poor form, Niner.

Oct 2005
    The volume of Niner vs. say Cannondale is what must protect them from the eye of CSPC recalls. Poor form, Niner.
    No, nobody complaining to the CPSC is what protects them. The CPSC doesn't patrol and find and monitor every single product on the market. They rely on people complaining, and they send investigators out to see the products and injuries, if any. This is where most bicyclists fail, just look at the EW fiasco from some years ago. All these people had problems, but were such pushoves with respect to getting an something instead of nothing ripoff deal, that they didn't go to the CPSC. I even remember one announced a lawsuit, and then Tony scrambled to resolve it only at that point. The companies rely on getting that frame from you, and that's their biggest concern. Getting the evidence back.

So it's not the companies being shielded from the CPSC. If customers do nothing, then nothing happens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Upon full compression I'm willing to bet that cross-brace on the swingarm contacts the new gusset.
    Yes, backside strongback needed modification, all is well.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

aft strongback relief

Strongback needed some clearance

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    Got back to doing everything I had been doing brfore on this and it held strong...
    Is your repair holding up?
    Mileage?
    Thanks
    JD

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How is your repair holding up? Mileage?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Don't buy a used RIP period. Unless support is not important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What about the ones with the factory gusseting? Admittedly still upset I was sold an '08 and the end of the '08 sales and was delivered a frame with 31.6 post and the gussetting.. but haven't broke it yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Hope

No, nobody complaining to the CPSC is what protects them. The CPSC doesn't patrol and find and monitor every single product on the market. They rely on people complaining, and they send investigators out to see the products and injuries, if any. This is where most bicyclists fail, just look at the EW fiasco from some years ago. All these people had problems, but were such pushoves with respect to getting an something instead of nothing ripoff deal, that they didn't go to the CPSC. I even remember one announced a lawsuit, and then Tony scrambled to resolve it only at that point. The companies rely on getting that frame from you, and that's their biggest concern. Getting the evidence back.

So it's not the companies being shielded from the CPSC. If customers do nothing, then nothing happens.
    Niner seems very complacent with this issue. Offering a crash replacement at 1K is no warranty. Thats the dealer price!.
    Not willing to loose any revenue to retrieve the defective frame. Time will tell.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Niner seems very complacent with this issue. Offering a crash replacement at 1K is no warranty. Thats the dealer price!.
    Not willing to loose any revenue to retrieve the defective frame. Time will tell.
    why would it be a warranty issue. the niner warranty clearly states its for original owner only. Niner is being gratious by offering anything for a second hand bike. try taking your out of warranty car in for free service.

When I broke my frame I called Niner on a Monday and I had a brand new frame in my hands Friday (coast to coast no less) broke the swingarm and had a new one in a few days also, but I was the original owner, thats one of the benifits of buying new, a warranty

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    [QUOTE=dan0]why would it be a warranty issue. the niner warranty clearly states its for original owner only. Niner is being gratious by offering anything for a second hand bike. try taking your out of warranty car in for free service.

This is a known defective frame design. Should be recalled as auto makers do on defective products.

Auto makers aggressively seek to reclaim defective products no matter the ownership/purchase issue.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=Johnny D]
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    why would it be a warranty issue. the niner warranty clearly states its for original owner only. Niner is being gratious by offering anything for a second hand bike. try taking your out of warranty car in for free service.

This is a known defective frame design. Should be recalled as auto makers do on defective products.

Auto makers aggressively seek to reclaim defective products no matter the ownership/purchase issue.
    auto makers dont aggressively seek out defective products no matter the ownership. If its a severe safety issue they will send out a recall notice to the original owner or to a transfered or extended warranty holder. 99% of the defective parts only get covered if you bring it in broken, not still functioning and then half the time you have to find out it is covered in a silent warranty. I've had this happen to me more than once and with 5manufacturers.
    when Niner found out about the defect they gave any original owner with a defective frame a new , redesigned frame. And now, apparently are still willing to give a big discount to any owner with a defective frame. Keep in mind that this frame has been in use for several years without trouble.
    And what about the new owner? no research on the Rip9 before buying a used frame ? a simple google search on Rip9 and 5 mins. of reading would tip you off to a problem with V1.0

lastly, what kind of a dealer would sell a used frame with a known issue on ebay? I'd like to hear more about that. Was it a Demo that they couldnt return ? or some other type of freebie? I think the people to be mad at are the ones who sold you the frame and Niner would do well to remove them as a dealer
    Last edited by dan0; 09-10-2009 at 08:30 PM.

banned
    Mar 2004
    You can't expect smaller companies to just "buy back" every frame that may be deemed defective. Especially if it's out of warranty or on a second owner. Larger companies like Specialized, Trek and Giant have the capital to do that and not have to go out of business. If companies like Niner Bikes did that, they'd be out of business in short order. Free enterprise isn't free if there's only one person playing....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My own experience with defective auto maker parts is a good example of how they seek to recover defective parts.
    After purchasing a well used 2000 Chevy truck I began recieving postcards notifying me that the tailgate support cables were defective . the postcards did not stop til I went to a dealer to have them replaced, free of charge.

The frame was purchased from High Gear Cyclery in NJ through ebay They are listed as a Niner Dealer on Niners site.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    My own experience with defective auto maker parts is a good example of how they seek to recover defective parts.
    After purchasing a well used 2000 Chevy truck I began receiving postcards notifying me that the tailgate support cables were defective . the postcards did not stop til I went to a dealer to have them replaced, free of charge.

The frame was purchased from High Gear Cycler in NJ through ebay They are listed as a Niner Dealer on Niners site.
    my experience with auto makers is twice as bad
    My brand new F150 went through 1- 2 qts of oil every fill up. they kept saying it was normal. Finally they admitted to bad ring alignment at the factory and did a ring job. My GMC & Chevy vans have doors that constantly go out of alignment along with all the other contractors Ive spoken to. My Landcruiser went through front brakes every 10k finally had it replaced as defective None ever had a recall or even admitted to a secret replacement warranty untill pressed.

did you go back to the dealer or right to Niner? Probably should give the dealer a chance to make good
    I would ask Niner if they condone selling a used frame with a known issue from one of their representitives

nice fix on the frame though, my ver.2 should be here on Monday

mtbr member

New question here.

Did you break your original Dan or did you just decide to buy the new version?

.................................................. .............nice fix on the frame though, my ver.2 should be here on Monday

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    did you go back to the dealer or right to Niner? Probably should give the dealer a chance to make good
    I would ask Niner if they condone selling a used frame with a known issue from one of their representitives

I went back to the dealer, got some response-then they got very quiet.

According to Frank @ NIner, they seriously frown upon dealers selling used.

The repair is holding up well, thanks. Riding some new trails out west, need to go 2X9.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Did you break your original Dan or did you just decide to buy the new version?
    Broke it....again

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

I went back to the dealer, got some response-then they got very quiet.

According to Frank @ NIner, they seriously frown upon dealers selling used.

The repair is holding up well, thanks. Riding some new trails out west, need to go 2X9.
    Im liking 2x9 , one of my buddies went 2x9 with a 20t granny and 30t middle says itworks very well. need to buy new crank to use it though and Middleburn aint cheap

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

O.T. for Linc

I was messing around with the glow paint I bought awhile ago. Thought maybe when the new Tang rip gets here I could make it atomic Tang. still cant get it to spray properly. The glow particles are just too big. after some more research I found out they make a finer grained glow, mine is 35 microns and the finer stuff is 5-15 microns. problem now is frame will be here Monday. earliest to get the paint is probably end of week. I havent had a bike for awhile now as I broke both of my summer bikes so when the new one gets here I will put it together asap. But if youre interested the paint is by Glow inc. and its under specialty paints about $50 for4 oz.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    You can't expect smaller companies to just "buy back" every frame that may be deemed defective. Especially if it's out of warranty or on a second owner. Larger companies like Specialized, Trek and Giant have the capital to do that and not have to go out of business. If companies like Niner Bikes did that, they'd be out of business in short order. Free enterprise isn't free if there's only one person playing....
    Is that right--Hope the resent Jet RECALL (buy back) doesn't put them under.

mtbr member

New question here.

You know Dan, I haven't had the time or it hasn't been too much of a priority with how life has been of late to get to that, however I appreciate you remembering and finding something that might work. Can't blame you for not wanting to wait and respray the new frame if you've been without for so long, just get some of the clear plastic vinyl and cover the DT with a few layers and put on a under linkage rock/bash guard and you should be good to go. I don't think I'll be able to break my '08 RIP9, as I haven't been riding too much since June and well, besides the flex I think it's strong. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts compared to the original stiffness wise and how it feels with the increased travel. Did you order a new tapered fork to go with it?

I was messing around with the glow paint I bought awhile ago. Thought maybe when the new Tang rip gets here I could make it atomic Tang. still cant get it to spray properly. The glow particles are just too big. after some more research I found out they make a finer grained glow, mine is 35 microns and the finer stuff is 5-15 microns. problem now is frame will be here Monday. earliest to get the paint is probably end of week. I havent had a bike for awhile now as I broke both of my summer bikes so when the new one gets here I will put it together asap. But if youre interested the paint is by Glow inc. and its under specialty paints about $50 for4 oz.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    You know Dan, I haven't had the time or it hasn't been too much of a priority with how life has been of late to get to that, however I appreciate you remembering and finding something that might work. Can't blame you for not wanting to wait and respray the new frame if you've been without for so long, just get some of the clear plastic vinyl and cover the DT with a few layers and put on a under linkage rock/bash guard and you should be good to go. I don't think I'll be able to break my '08 RIP9, as I haven't been riding too much since June and well, besides the flex I think it's strong. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts compared to the original stiffness wise and how it feels with the increased travel. Did you order a new tapered fork to go with it?
    no I'm going to use the 120 reba with the 20mm maxle that I recently bought. it seems to be a pretty good match to the rp23

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Have you reported to the CPSC?

Please do!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Im liking 2x9 , one of my buddies went 2x9 with a 20t granny and 30t middle says itworks very well. need to buy new crank to use it though and Middleburn aint cheap

Interesting chainring choices. Where do you ride?
    Here in south east and central TX I'm thinkin' 22-36 with a 11-34 cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Reset

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone break a RIP ?

TNO
    mtbr member
    I've got a V2 RIP and have had zero issues. Would love to get the newly designed frame but this one just doesn't give up. Looks like all the issues have been in mid seattube but with the gusset in the V2, this doesn't seem to be a problem (with the 31.6 inner diameter).
    If you're not having fun, you must be doing something wrong...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TNO
    I've got a V2 RIP and have had zero issues. Would love to get the newly designed frame but this one just doesn't give up. Looks like all the issues have been in mid seattube but with the gusset in the V2, this doesn't seem to be a problem (with the 31.6 inner diameter).

v1.0 are the defective bunch--serial # through approx 710XXX

banned
    Sep 2007
    Sounds like TNO has v1.1 which has the 31.6mm tubing with the factory strong back bracing. Johnny D is referring to v1.0. which was 31.6mm seat tubing only.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks RB, I was thinkin the Rip V2.0 was the 2009 model.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Thanks RB, I was thinkin the Rip V2.0 was the 2009 model.

I'd say that's spot on... the 2009 Hydroformed frames are the RIP V2.0's, as far as I'm concerned. My own opinion is while I ride a V1.1, I don't do much over 2 foot drops to flat with it, and even then, that's for me the upper limit. Niner clearly states in their warranty that jumping, hucking and Acts of Darwinism are not covered under their warranty policy. I consider water bars, and such normal trail features, but the RIP V1 is not the kind of bike I'd go blasting down National in AZ or hucking chunk in Gooseberry/Moab with, at my weight. I ride the bejeesus out of mine,mostly XC, about 25 % All Mountain but I'm mindful of what constitutes abuse when dealing with round tubed aluminum frames versus beefed up Hydroformed tubing like on a Giant Reign since 2005. Frankly, I consider this RIP the Classic Niner, and I'd like to keep riding it without failure for a long, long time. I can't put my finger on why I like it so much, other than it rides great and is a confidence builder, that does many things well, and suits my riding style. I've gone through 2 sets of bushings on my RP23, if that tells you anything about the miles ridden, and over 3000 miles now. A good frame like this really deserves a good set of hubs and wheel build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Update

After 6-700 miles the weld across the original break has failed.
    Tear down and back to the weld shop
    Needs some E-W reinforcements

RIPv1.0 repaired-ripbreakzoom.jpg

Jackass
    Bump.
    Broke mine on Monday:

Original Owner, just under three years old. Its out on Niners warranty period, but this seems like a known manufacturing/design issue. What do you think the chances are of Niner covering or offering some $$ relief on my frame?
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    Well, in all honesty if it were me and that's the original version that as you said had the known breakage issue there, then I'd damn well better hope Niner hooked me up with a replacement frame at a really good deal of at most the same deal the JET9 owners got. I'm pretty sure that once I get back into some serious riding my last round tube version will break out of warranty (still under right now as to the letter) and I'll have no warranty give, what so ever from them

Quote Originally Posted by pesqueeb
    Bump.
    Broke mine on Monday:

Original Owner, just under three years old. Its out on Niners warranty period, but this seems like a known manufacturing/design issue. What do you think the chances are of Niner covering or offering some $$ relief on my frame?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Jumping big, not maintaining proper shock pressure / setup and bottoming out, is what causes these frames to crack. When you exceed the limit of travel, the stress has to be taken up somewhere, and that somewhere is right at the bottom of the pivot point bracket.

Jackass
    Jumping big, not maintaining proper shock pressure / setup and bottoming out, is what causes these frames to crack. When you exceed the limit of travel, the stress has to be taken up somewhere, and that somewhere is right at the bottom of the pivot point bracket.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=19

edit* For the record, I'm 180lbs soaking wet, don't "jump big", and maintain between 1/4-1/2 inch of sag in the rear. I make my living as an aircraft mechanic, I know how to properly maintain my equipment.
    Last edited by pesqueeb; 05-06-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    instead of wasting your time here why dont you just call them?
    I've had nothing but excellent results with Niner warranty.
    V1 has a known issue in regards to the seat tube.
    If I was Niner or any other company I wouldnt be too happy if one of my customers went around complaining about my product without calling me first

Jackass
    I just did contact them and am eagerly awaiting a response. I've just been trying to get all my ducks in a row with receipts, pictures, Serial numbers, whatnot. I'm not complaining, just posting that I have now experienced what others have. If Niner makes an effort to remedy the situation I'll be more than happy to acknowledge that they did. I am not badmouthing Niner in any way because I have nothing to say other than "look, my frame broke and its a known issue".

banned
    Sep 2007
    I'd be really surprised if Niner gives you any remedy on a bike now being ridden in it's 4th season that only has a 2 year warranty. You rode it 2007, 2008, 2009 seasons, and a portion of the 2010 season. Your expectations are unreasonable.

I base this with my experience with a Rohloff hub that failed barely outside of a 2 year warranty, that had 700 miles on it completely documented when it crapped out of me and failed to shift properly. This is a hub that is supposed to go 50,000 miles and claims of no known failures with their hubs.

YMMV, you might get lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Might just be time to man up and buy another frame.

Jackass
    4th season? I think your math is off. I bought the frame the weekend after my birthday (may 15) in 2007. Today is May 6th. That means I haven't even owned the bike three full years. Also, as far as warranty goes, Niners is about the worst in the industry for frames. If I'd bought a Turner, which is the other bike I was looking at at the time, it would still be covered, Rocky Mountains is five. Damn near every other bike manufacturer offers 3 years or better on frames. I do not think its asking too much for a manufacturer who has admitted that this exact problem is an issue and announced fairly serious design changes 4 months after I purchased my frame to step up, just a little.

In addition, because of my accident I didn't even start riding the frame until October of that year. Because of the damage to my body and the onset of winter, I think anyone would be hard pressed to say I was pushing the limits of the frame. Yes, I realize the warranty says two years from date of purchase. My point being that if I break a frame at 175lbs with maybe 2 good seasons of riding, something is wrong with the frame. Again, Niner has acknowledged this and I have until the break been a HUGE fan of the bike. Had I seen these issues before I certainly would have asked for it to be addressed, but I was unaware of the issues until I sat down and googled "RIP9 seat tube break". Guess what the second entry is.
    Last edited by pesqueeb; 05-06-2010 at 12:50 PM.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I like your signature.

Jackass
    Happy to report Niner has graciously offered me a new frame for the cost difference between the old style frames and the new. I could not be more pleased and Niner really is going above and beyond. Part of my reason for being so upset is that the bike kind of represented my physical struggle and comeback. To see it break was psychologically kind of difficult. Niner wants the old frame, which is totally understandable, but part of me wishes I could hang it on the wall somewhere. Thanks again Niner for such a great ride and stellar customer relations.

mtbr member
    My suggestion to you is to drive it up to Fort Collins and personally put it into Brett's hands and collect the new frame same time. I remember well the ordeal you went through, you used this bike as inspiration to get batter/heal quickly, glad they sorted you out.

Quote Originally Posted by pesqueeb
    Happy to report Niner has graciously offered me a new frame for the cost difference between the old style frames and the new. I could not be more pleased and Niner really is going above and beyond. Part of my reason for being so upset is that the bike kind of represented my physical struggle and comeback. To see it break was psychologically kind of difficult. Niner wants the old frame, which is totally understandable, but part of me wishes I could hang it on the wall somewhere. Thanks again Niner for such a great ride and stellar customer relations.

Moderator Moderator
    My suggestion to you is to drive it up to Fort Collins and personally put it into Brett's hands and collect the new frame same time. I remember well the ordeal you went through, you used this bike as inspiration to get batter/heal quickly, glad they sorted you out.

Lyncoln,

Please don't suggest this. I have no frames here in Fort Collins. Our warranty department is located in California and our frames are stocked in California. Anyone with a warranty or tech questions should call the main CA office at 877-646-3792. I'm always game for a ride though if anyone is local and wants to ride the fine Fort Collins trails.

Thanks,

Brett
    Last edited by 2melow; 05-07-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

banned
    Sep 2007
    No worries, I called Frank yesterday at Niner about this thread to give him a heads up over in North Hollywood. It's handled, Niner has a remarkable story they can probably spin as advertising on FACEBOOK in some way to promote good will of mountain biking and the healing vibes and hope they can provide. That's a Win Win, in my books.

Underskilled

When I broke my frame I called Niner on a Monday and I had a brand new frame in my hands Friday (coast to coast no less) broke the swingarm and had a new one in a few days also, but I was the original owner, thats one of the benifits of buying new, a warranty
    You are assuming that they do warranty when it is first owner,
    My experience was far from that.

They didn't help me out when I was nice, months and months of refusing to help. Only when I started being a total dick did they assist.

Eventually they split the difference with my insurance company.

My insurance shouldn't have been involved, it should have been warranty.

They sold a bike with a major design flaw and then didn't back it up, and have acted as total dicks...They also posted my personal details online.

Not the best experience here.

They have also acted as decent people too, so not the worst experience, just not a good one.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    You are assuming that they do warranty when it is first owner,
    My experience was far from that.

They didn't help me out when I was nice, months and months of refusing to help. Only when I started being a total dick did they assist.

Eventually they split the difference with my insurance company.

My insurance shouldn't have been involved, it should have been warranty.

They sold a bike with a major design flaw and then didn't back it up, and have acted as total dicks...They also posted my personal details online.

Not the best experience here.

They have also acted as decent people too, so not the worst experience, just not a good one.
    I'm not assuming anything, just stating my experience
    why are you resurrecting that post from Sept.?

Underskilled
    same break as was on my frame.
    user commenting how Niner responds to this type of break.

Seemed relevant to me.

p.s. Also get angry every time I remember and like to vent a bit ;-)

p.p.s. The WFO works great, seems Niner did the job properly on this one.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Jackass

Smile

Big White truck dropped off a big white box about an hour ago. Pretty freaking excited, but alas, my fork is still in the hands of the boys @ Fox otherwise I'd be out in the garage right now. Thank you Niner for the truly remarkable support.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    After 6-700 miles the weld across the original break has failed.
    Tear down and back to the weld shop
    Needs some E-W reinforcements

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ripbreakzoom.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	536549

2nd repair complete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIPv1.0 repaired-img_0002.jpg  

RIPv1.0 repaired-img_0001_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    3/16 plate transverse through seat tube--hope I can ride it for quite some time!!

Jackass
    Update:
    Finally got my fork back from fox. Unbelivably happy with the new frame and service from Niner. Maiden voyage at Buffalo Creek.

You guys are awesome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Members who have read this thread: 0