RIP9 still rippin' - 3 years in- Mtbr.com
    Chilling out

RIP9 still rippin' - 3 years in

This probably jinxes my bike, but I just got back from a 9 day drop in Moab, and my '17 RIP9 sure was a fabulous bike for that.

Great mix of trails, up down and over, from Bar-M to Ahab to Porc Rim, never let me down and had a great time.

2nd trip to Moab on the bike, last trip was 27.5 wheels with 2.8, this one 29er with 2.6, still lovin' it.

Peace.

RIP9 still rippin' - 3 years in-wallpaper.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So whatís you verdict? 27.5+ or 29. I had one Moab trip on the plus wheels and second on 29 x2.6. I donít think Iíll go back to 27.5.

Chilling out
    I think if I was Mr. Freeride and looking towards truly beat-down dropping and DH style that the 27.5 may be better, but for me ... I don't like flying more than 4 or 5 ' vertical, the 29x2.6 (Maxxis Rekon) were definitely fabulous.

Not a lot of room in the rear triangle though with the tire, would not want to ride wet in some areas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    That was my exact feeling too. I also went with the 2.6 Rekon. What rims are you running?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    That was my exact feeling too. I also went with the 2.6 Rekon. What rims are you running?
    Flow Mk 3, wrapped on I9 Torch hubs.

Aside from the infrequent crash induced damage they've been bomber, very little maintenance (great local wheelbuilder at Sicker's Bikes in Clarkes Summit PA). I can build good wheels but it takes me about 4 hours to do right.

mtbr member
    WTF!!! How can you be riding a bike that old with outdated geometry? I am surprised it has not exploded on you....

Wait...

I am still riding my 2011 SIR 9 (though I purchased the frame new in 2016) and having a blast.

mtbr member
    Still hanging in there with mine too. Just got back from NC and riding Dupont and Pisgah (black mountain). I still really dig this bike and have ridden several other during demos but I still see no reason to switch.

I've been keeping my coil shock on more and more. Even with rides with more than 2500' of climbing fire roads I'd rather have the bike on a coil.

I did just swap to 800mm bars before this trip. Was running 750mm with a 70mm stem and now the 800 bars with a 50mm stem feels more connected.

Also swapped in the taller lower headset cup for more BB height. Didn't see any adverse affects and it maybe calmed the bars down just a bit.

These are still great bikes. Anyone who is looking at new bikes should take a second to ride this previous model Rip and check sites having blow out sales. There are some really good deals out there. If I can find a new orange frame I may pick it up.

That is all, terrible out.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Been riding a Rip 9 RDO for last year or so, time flies when youíre having fun! Amazing ride in sketchy terrain and pedals way better and lighter than the bike weight, as I was coming off an earlier Jet 9 RDO that was under 25lbs. The Rip is probably way more bike than I need but so much fun to ride.

My only complaint is those damn pedal strikes! Thought it was something I would figure out and eventually go away with some technical adjustments but still getting whacked. Even though it doesnít look like that in pic, the bottom bracket is low!

Name:  2547C009-CF56-4CD9-9D3D-84563E4A08F3.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  103.8 KB

Chilling out
    yeah, the bb is *just* on that cusp of too low. in NE PA I definitely favored 29x2.4 or x2.6 and never thought about it and rarely hit pedal, but with 27x2.8 I did noticeably more.

in NC, CO, UT, no real issues with pedal strike though with either wheelset. Just different per region I guess. {shrug}

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Been riding a Rip 9 RDO for last year or so, time flies when youíre having fun! Amazing ride in sketchy terrain and pedals way better and lighter than the bike weight, as I was coming off an earlier Jet 9 RDO that was under 25lbs. The Rip is probably way more bike than I need but so much fun to ride.

My only complaint is those damn pedal strikes! Thought it was something I would figure out and eventually go away with some technical adjustments but still getting whacked. Even though it doesnít look like that in pic, the bottom bracket is low!

Name:  2547C009-CF56-4CD9-9D3D-84563E4A08F3.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  103.8 KB
    Look into the taller lower headset cup. Just did that with mine before a ride in pisgah and it helped a lot.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"