Thread: Rip9

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Rip9

A Niner section and no mention of brand new RIP???

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-po...new-bikes.html

Lots of heat in PB comment section (when isn't there), but I like how it looks:

Rip9-rip1.jpg
    Rip9-rip2.jpg

Numbers looks good...not Pole crazy, but modern enough for most of us.
    Rip9-rip3.jpg

And I like 150/140...esp b/c it seems like a new WFO is on the horizon. And there's a dedicated 27.5...if you care about that stuff.

Now: Please update the JET!

mtbr member
    I like the look, color is always subjective so can't say much about that.

Not a fan of the internal brake housing routing.

Wish the high BB height setting was the low and the high was more high. (I have a headache from typing that).

And I want to know if it'll accept a coil shock and why no trunion mount?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    It looks, long, low and slack with a lot of pedal smack!!
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The real question is. How long till we can ride Wide Open Flat Out?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post

Not a fan of the internal brake housing routing.?
    Funny, to me it looks like a significant improvement over the messy cable (especially rear brake) routing of the previous model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Funny, to me it looks like a significant improvement over the messy cable (especially rear brake) routing of the previous model.
    The routing I guess is fine, but the being internal sucks. You'll have to pull a brake hose full of fluid out of your frame and re-bleed them any time you make a brake change or want to do any proper cleaning. I dunno though, to each their own.

But you are right, it's a step in the right direction over the past "just let it hit the shock" set up.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Wish the high BB height setting was the low and the high was more high. (I have a headache from typing that).
    Bet running it in high with a 160 fork would work good for this bike and give good BB clearance/height.

ninjichor.com
    Got to look at one of these up close. My first impressions of the construction (things I did see on paper):

- double-width bearings. they didn't know if it were dual row or not, but said they did a lot to improve stiffness
    - the tubing looks oversized everywhere. I was shocked at the size of the seat stays
    - there's a replaceable plastic-like skid plate bolted under the lower link
    - SDG tellis post was a very nice spec. Held position firmly, lever among the lightest to push, wire clamped at lever, and decent thunk on full extension that returned faster than a KS. Good choice over Reverb, Transfer, and anything else typically found OEM, IMO.
    - the only cheaping out I found was the rear QR skewer, which was like a generic copy of the DT swiss, but worked. 36 had the QR lever, which the mechanic was grateful for (for ease of packing into his van)
    - the cable routing had some grey plastic-like split insert thingees to fit into the frame's ports
    - a large number of plugged ports for future Fox Live Valve compatibility, including for an accelerometer bythe rear dropout
    - one was recently hosed down and had standing water in the lower shock mount area that I questioned. They said that it's no prob, and just pitched the bike up on its rear wheel and thought nothing more of it, as they stowed it

Seemed to be very proud of the bike. Said they came from Utah, and are making their way to Fresno, CA for their next stop. They had like 20 RIP9s onboard, plus 1 RLT, 1 Air9, and maybe a couple other 1-offs.

Did a lot of chatting to get to know 'em, Brian specifically, and they were saying that the trails here in SoCal were great, compared to CO. Was happy to discover we had trails with all sorts of optional tech lines like rock rollers off the side of the trail, that would've been erased within a day of being found in CO Front range.

Didn't ride one. It was raining for a couple hours earlier in the day, and I headed out after it stopped, but they were starting to get packed up as I arrived.

mtbr member
    Last year niner was at dirt fest in WV and I hope they are coming again and bringing plenty of the new RIP in both wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Looks like near what I have been looking for----decent travel and not extreme geo----but given the companies issues over the past couple of years I am surprised at the price as they need to lure folks like me who would be nervous with the brand until they re-prove themselves and a good value would help. But I will consider along with the Evil Offering and the potential merging new Hightower and Ripley------the SB130 is out as the chatter about issues dissuades me.