Rip9- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rip9

mtbr member

Rip9

A Niner section and no mention of brand new RIP???

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-po...new-bikes.html

Lots of heat in PB comment section (when isn't there), but I like how it looks:

Rip9-rip1.jpg
    Rip9-rip2.jpg

Numbers looks good...not Pole crazy, but modern enough for most of us.
    Rip9-rip3.jpg

And I like 150/140...esp b/c it seems like a new WFO is on the horizon. And there's a dedicated 27.5...if you care about that stuff.

Now: Please update the JET!

mtbr member
    I like the look, color is always subjective so can't say much about that.

Not a fan of the internal brake housing routing.

Wish the high BB height setting was the low and the high was more high. (I have a headache from typing that).

And I want to know if it'll accept a coil shock and why no trunion mount?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    It looks, long, low and slack
    Last edited by tom tom; 03-28-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The real question is. How long till we can ride Wide Open Flat Out?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post

Not a fan of the internal brake housing routing.?
    Funny, to me it looks like a significant improvement over the messy cable (especially rear brake) routing of the previous model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Funny, to me it looks like a significant improvement over the messy cable (especially rear brake) routing of the previous model.
    The routing I guess is fine, but the being internal sucks. You'll have to pull a brake hose full of fluid out of your frame and re-bleed them any time you make a brake change or want to do any proper cleaning. I dunno though, to each their own.

But you are right, it's a step in the right direction over the past "just let it hit the shock" set up.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Wish the high BB height setting was the low and the high was more high. (I have a headache from typing that).
    Bet running it in high with a 160 fork would work good for this bike and give good BB clearance/height.

Not a role model
    Got to look at one of these up close. My first impressions of the construction (things I did see on paper):

- double-width bearings. they didn't know if it were dual row or not, but said they did a lot to improve stiffness
    - the tubing looks oversized everywhere. I was shocked at the size of the seat stays
    - there's a replaceable plastic-like skid plate bolted under the lower link
    - SDG tellis post was a very nice spec. Held position firmly, lever among the lightest to push, wire clamped at lever, and decent thunk on full extension that returned faster than a KS. Good choice over Reverb, Transfer, and anything else typically found OEM, IMO.
    - the only cheaping out I found was the rear QR skewer, which was like a generic copy of the DT swiss, but worked. 36 had the QR lever, which the mechanic was grateful for (for ease of packing into his van)
    - the cable routing had some grey plastic-like split insert thingees to fit into the frame's ports
    - a large number of plugged ports for future Fox Live Valve compatibility, including for an accelerometer bythe rear dropout
    - one was recently hosed down and had standing water in the lower shock mount area that I questioned. They said that it's no prob, and just pitched the bike up on its rear wheel and thought nothing more of it, as they stowed it

Seemed to be very proud of the bike. Said they came from Utah, and are making their way to Fresno, CA for their next stop. They had like 20 RIP9s onboard, plus 1 RLT, 1 Air9, and maybe a couple other 1-offs.

Did a lot of chatting to get to know 'em, Brian specifically, and they were saying that the trails here in SoCal were great, compared to CO. Was happy to discover we had trails with all sorts of optional tech lines like rock rollers off the side of the trail, that would've been erased within a day of being found in CO Front range.

Didn't ride one. It was raining for a couple hours earlier in the day, and I headed out after it stopped, but they were starting to get packed up as I arrived.

mtbr member
    Last year niner was at dirt fest in WV and I hope they are coming again and bringing plenty of the new RIP in both wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Looks like near what I have been looking for----decent travel and not extreme geo----but given the companies issues over the past couple of years I am surprised at the price as they need to lure folks like me who would be nervous with the brand until they re-prove themselves and a good value would help. But I will consider along with the Evil Offering and the potential merging new Hightower and Ripley------the SB130 is out as the chatter about issues dissuades me.

DFL
    Is it too much to ask if any Clydes have ridden one of these? I'm considering a 27.5. I'm about 265 geared. I'm also looking at a Yeti SB5 and a Trek Remedy 9.8.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Is it too much to ask if any Clydes have ridden one of these? I'm considering a 27.5. I'm about 265 geared. I'm also looking at a Yeti SB5 and a Trek Remedy 9.8.
    I have the 2017 RIP9RDO, and was about 240 when I got it, and it's worked out great for me. I don't know what the shock stroke on the new RIP9 is but having the 2.5" stroke on mine I believe has helped by needing less PSI that a shorter stroked shock (like my previous FS bike, a Yeti SB95). I think the new RIP9 *could* work out fabulous for you, but I think between the bikes it plays more maybe to what kind of riding you do and where. I found my SB95 to be slightly snappier in the climbing / accelerating thing but my RIP9 is not *far* behind ... but it is not the same. WIth the Yeti design philosophy I'd count on the SB5 being similar but more capable in the tech owing to the later evolution of the Switch Infinity and later design pass.

I *would* expect the structure of the new RIP9 design to handle your body mass better though, what's been shared about the size increase of the structure and the additional buttress on the frame seem like they'd be significant.

I've no personal experience with Trek bikes in the last 10 years so I can't say anything about them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Just demoed one of these yesterday, pics do not do this bike justice, it is a beautiful beast. I'm 220 nekkid and felt that this frame would have no problems with another 50lbs or even 100lbs, it is very stout. It pedals well whether spinning circles or standing and mashing,very calm and quiet. Capable decender, not shy about steeps, but certainly not a plow bike.

Only niggles I had were the guide brakes with 180 f+r rotors and the 175 cranks resulting in extra pedal strikes. The bike was set up in the low setting with a 150 fork with 29" wheels. Otherwise, very nice spec and super fun bike.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeck View Post
    Just demoed one of these yesterday, pics do not do this bike justice, it is a beautiful beast. I'm 220 nekkid and felt that this frame would have no problems with another 50lbs or even 100lbs, it is very stout. It pedals well whether spinning circles or standing and mashing,very calm and quiet. Capable decender, not shy about steeps, but certainly not a plow bike.

Only niggles I had were the guide brakes with 180 f+r rotors and the 175 cranks resulting in extra pedal strikes. The bike was set up in the low setting with a 150 fork with 29" wheels. Otherwise, very nice spec and super fun bike.
    Any other thoughts about the bike? Comparisons to other bikes youve ridden. Which color did you see?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Any other thoughts about the bike? Comparisons to other bikes youve ridden. Which color did you see?

Honestly, not much more to add. It was a ~90 minute demo on local trails and it felt great. I'm 6-1 and demoed the XL, it felt like a lighter weight version of my XL Canfield Riot. I could have fit the L just fine, but would buy the XL hands down. It pedaled slightly "better" (less bob, still plenty of traction) than my coil sprung Riot. I did get it on some nice steep tracks and I was immediately able to find my comfy spot in the corners and it stayed nice and composed on step downs. I wasn't able to get it on any sustained chunky rock gardens, so I won't speculate, but the overall stiffness of the chasis would lead me to believe there wouldn't be any issues related to frame deflection. My Riot is a noodle in comparison in terms of lateral stiffness between the front and rear triangles. If I were to purchase the bike as-is, I would have to either swap the brakes completely (I use Saints with 8" rotors f+r) or upsize the rotors at a minimum. I would also swap the cranks for something aluminum in 170mm length. I forgot to ask about coil compatibility, not that it's necessary, but it's fun to tinker and I swap back and forth on my bike regularly.

I'm a fan of the ~140mm, non-EWS type bikes. This one would be on my short list along with the Ripmo and Offering if I were bike shopping (haven't ridden either of them). Compared to similar bikes that I've ridden, I liked it better than the Sentinel which I feel gives up too much on the pedals and liked it better than the Hightower which felt more like a Tallboy than a Nomad (not that it's a bad thing).

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeck View Post
    Honestly, not much more to add. It was a ~90 minute demo on local trails and it felt great. I'm 6-1 and demoed the XL, it felt like a lighter weight version of my XL Canfield Riot. I could have fit the L just fine, but would buy the XL hands down. It pedaled slightly "better" (less bob, still plenty of traction) than my coil sprung Riot. I did get it on some nice steep tracks and I was immediately able to find my comfy spot in the corners and it stayed nice and composed on step downs. I wasn't able to get it on any sustained chunky rock gardens, so I won't speculate, but the overall stiffness of the chasis would lead me to believe there wouldn't be any issues related to frame deflection. My Riot is a noodle in comparison in terms of lateral stiffness between the front and rear triangles. If I were to purchase the bike as-is, I would have to either swap the brakes completely (I use Saints with 8" rotors f+r) or upsize the rotors at a minimum. I would also swap the cranks for something aluminum in 170mm length. I forgot to ask about coil compatibility, not that it's necessary, but it's fun to tinker and I swap back and forth on my bike regularly.

I'm a fan of the ~140mm, non-EWS type bikes. This one would be on my short list along with the Ripmo and Offering if I were bike shopping (haven't ridden either of them). Compared to similar bikes that I've ridden, I liked it better than the Sentinel which I feel gives up too much on the pedals and liked it better than the Hightower which felt more like a Tallboy than a Nomad (not that it's a bad thing).
    The ripmo and offering dont work for my size. Im torn between this RIP9 or a La Sal peak. I might be able to find a niner to demo but thats unlikely with the fezzari

mtbr member
    May 2006

My Rip 9 RDO...

Rip9-s1600_img_2870.jpg
    Rip9-s1600_img_2864.jpg
    Rip9-s1600_img_2869.jpg
    Only one ride so far, but I am thoroughly impressed with suspension on this bike.

Chilling out
    lovely, lovely, color, but waay waay too clean. ;^)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree, way too clean. I had to take a few pictures before I got it dirty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    seeing this forum and thread are a bit slow - thought i'd throw in a quick note:

No intention to look at the Rip for my next bike, but just happened to grab a demo. Came away a LOT surprised. For reference - I'm on a great 27.5 bike - Spot Rollik. Looking to go back to 29er since things have evolved so much since my last 29er.

I came away impressed and that was with a wonky FIT4 fork setup that wasn't good at all.

Just demoed the Ripmo yesterday - nice bike - see why everyone seems to want one - BUT i am going to go back and ride the RIP again. NOW - BOTH seem like great bikes from the get go and a 1 ride demo doesn't tell the whole story, but man my knee jerk fish reaction right now is that i liked the RIP better...

Will also be demoing the Ripmo AF, Revel Rascal (hopefully) SC Hightower V2, maybe a Yeti 130...

Color me surprised by the new RIP

dmo
    mtbr member
    Care to elaborate on why you liked the Rip better than the Ripmo?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yes please elaborate what you liked better in the Rip vs Ripmo. The AF is such a smoking deal. But Iím worried DW link wonít be as plush as CVA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Again - 1 ride on each and neither were ideally setup for me but more the "shop demo" setup using sag as the starting point, and a base setup for the suspension. Both were close enough, and good enough but when i ride the RIP next, i will do some trailhead adjustments especially to the fork.

For me personally - I'm looking for a more "plush" feel and to me the RIP delivered this advantage over the Ripmo. And that's not even saying anything bad about the Ripmo's ride quality as it was truly a stellar bike and rode VERY much like my Rollik (as it should based on the rear suspensions designs). To me - and this is a great thing - it felt like my bike with 29" wheels. Again REALLY REALLY good thing to say. It Spot had a Rollik 29er today - i dont think I'd spend much time looking elsewhere - yet the Ripmo felt like a Rollik 29er...

For me the RIP had the softer more plush feel and i thats with leaving a lot of rear shock behind on the trail. I felt the RIP actually picked up speed and held it better on the rocky downs and over trail chop. It pedaled thru technical and rocky features just as well except where the fork got in the way. Both bikes felt fun and were easy to pop off of rocks, rollers etc. Both bikes were easy to ride from the first pedal stroke. Both bikes did everything well, and i couldn't find anything bad (outside of aforementioned setups). I have demo loops locally at Apex as its the trail i've ridden the most over the past 5 years so i know where, how, why and what i'm looking for when i demo the trail. Both these bikes simply accelled.

I did forget to mention that I'm highly intrigued by the Fezzarri (god awful Walmart sounding name) and I've run into a couple guys lately that have em on the trail. When read the reviews - the LaSal sounds very much like what Im looking for as well. A 29er that rides unlike 29ers of old. All the good, none of the bad so to speak.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the write up.

I actually have a La Sal and a Spot Mayhem. I love both bikes. The LSP is super fun. The Mayhem is with a 140mm fork and is very capable but also very efficient. The La Sal does better the faster and faster you go. I was intrigued by the Rip9 but went for the La Sal due to price and some minor geo things. I still wonder what the niner would be like and if i got the chance to ride one i could really compare.