RIP running 2x9's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RIP running 2x9's

Looking to ditch the big ring. Or should I ditch the 44 and get a 40T. What is everyone runing for a 2x9 set up with a bash guard. Should I stay with the 22-32 and just add a bash guard or go with a bigger middle ring and a bash guard?? Suggestions and pics please.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2019 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2020 Specialized S-Works Epic
    2016 Specialized Fatboy

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-29er
    Looking to ditch the big ring. Or should I ditch the 44 and get a 40T. What is everyone runing for a 2x9 set up with a bash guard. Should I stay with the 22-32 and just add a bash guard or go with a bigger middle ring and a bash guard?? Suggestions and pics please.
    There are two types of 2 x 9's (or 2 x 10's). One is simply a triple crankset with the large ring removed and replaced with a bash ring. Due to having the same chainline of a triple, cross chaining angles will be more severe than a true 2 x __ drivetrain where the two rings sit out a bit to the right (due to a different chainline with a proper 2 x 9) on the drive side from a "converted triple". Cross chain angles are not quite as severe and full use of all the cogs in the rear with a proper 2 x __ drivetrain will be standard with the possibility of a longer lasting chain, rings and cassette. But I wouldn't worry too much about that as most of us get new chains, rings and cassettes every now and then anyway.

So decide on what gearing you need for the riding you do. Do you need a 22 or 23T granny? Or could you do with a 26 or 27T granny? What cassette are you running in the rear? 11-32, 11-34, 11-36?

Me? I run a 23T Rotor Q Ring granny, 30T middle and 40 T outer (Bruzed's 30/40 rings) on my RIP with a 11-34 cassette. I could do with a 23/34 ring up front and bash and cover all my needs if going with a "converted triple" to a 2 x 9. Or I could use a 27/40 up front with a real 2 x 9 proper chainline and cover all my needs.

Do you need a bash for your style of riding? If so - then the converted triple may be your ticket. Plenty of rings available to dial in your granny and middle to cover the majority of gearing you need compared to a triple.

BB

mtbr member
    My rear cassette is a Sram 990 and i believe its a 11-34. Just your standard rear cassette. For the front I use the granny alittle but mostly the middle ring. So I guesss I could just remove mybig ring and get a bash guard. But part of me would like to keep the big ring but I get the ocassional chain suck. So maybe going to a 40T would eliminate the chaian suck and I would still have the big ring. Just dont know of any good 40T ig rings with chain ramps. I hate tuff descisions
    2016 Specialized Fatboy

Always Learning
    My rear cassette is a Sram 990 and i believe its a 11-34. Just your standard rear cassette. For the front I use the granny alittle but mostly the middle ring. So I guesss I could just remove mybig ring and get a bash guard. But part of me would like to keep the big ring but I get the ocassional chain suck. So maybe going to a 40T would eliminate the chaian suck and I would still have the big ring. Just dont know of any good 40T ig rings with chain ramps. I hate tuff descisions
    The only ramped 40T I know of is a 4 arm 104mm BCD from Bruzed (Russ Anderson) and it has to attach to his custom 30T middle ring - also for the 4 arm 104mm BCD. They totally solve the chain "stuck" issues on the RIP and JET. What cranks do you have?

The other way would be to boost your granny maybe to a 23, 24 or 26T and get a 34 or 36T middle ring with a bash in the outer slot.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 04-15-2011 at 04:33 AM.

mtbr member
    My cranks are XT 770. Iam liking the 24 and 36 with a bash guard idea. Thanks for all you help/opinions.
    2016 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My cranks are XT 770. Iam liking the 24 and 36 with a bash guard idea. Thanks for all you help/opinions.

XT cranks, 22/36 front, 12-36 rear

The change up from 22 - 36 is a bit difficult and cannot be done with any load on the pedals.

I need the 22F - 36R combo for some of the firetrails I climb (and walk).

Even with a 36 on the front and 29'er wheels it is possible to run out of gears at a bit over 30km/hr down hills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm running a truvativ noir crank with blackspire 24 and 36 rings and a bash.
    The key is to get yourself a shimano slx 2x front derailleur. sharp crisp shifting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele
    I'm running a truvativ noir crank with blackspire 24 and 36 rings and a bash.
    The key is to get yourself a shimano slx 2x front derailleur. sharp crisp shifting.
    YES! The Shimano FD-M667 SLX is the ticket. Proper front derailleur for a 2x setup. I tried using a standard triple front derailleur and while it "worked", it worked like Sheeiiit. No matter what I tried it was very rough shifting. Unless you hit rocks often, the bashguard is not necessary as long as your derailleur is properly adjusted to where the chain will not shift past the outer chainring.

mtbr member
    The more Iam reading and researching the more I like the idea of the 2x9. My front derailleur is an XT 9 (what came with the bike). So if I go with a 24 and 36 should I get the XT 770 or a different make? I guess thats the next thing to deside. Also do I need to do anyting with the rear derailleur and chain length? Currently have X9 long cage.
    2016 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i run on front 20/32. Work perfect!

Always Learning
    The more Iam reading and researching the more I like the idea of the 2x9. My front derailleur is an XT 9 (what came with the bike). So if I go with a 24 and 36 should I get the XT 770 or a different make? I guess thats the next thing to deside. Also do I need to do anyting with the rear derailleur and chain length? Currently have X9 long cage.
    Just use the FD you have. Set up the third click to be a "ghost shift" using the limit screws and cable tension. Or you can set up the first click to be a "ghost shift" and use the 2nd and 3rd clicks for your two rings - either way can work if you tinker around with it. Of course, grip shift is always the easiest and super sweet for trimming the FD on 2 x 9's.

You could run a slightly shorter chain, but no need to swap out your long cage RD at the moment unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket. I'd wait until you have a nasty crash or catch a stick/limb back there and trash your current RD. Then you could get a medium cage which will make shifting a bit cripser, but with proper chain length and your current RD - you'll be fine. Just run the chain around your new big/big combo and add a couple of links to get your new size. It'll probably only be a few links shorter than what it currently is, but will take some of the slap out of it.

BB

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    As BB suggests, try out your front derailleur you have now and if it works properly, then great. I have an XTR Crank with the Blackspire rings, M970X (24T) and SuperPro (36T) with XO twist shifters, and for the life of me could not ever get my 3X derailleur to shift smoothly. It worked, but felt like I was going to bend the front derailleur with each shift. I moved the derailleur up/down, etc. and it did not seem to help. I bought a SLX 2X front derailleur and instantly the problem was solved. I don't know if it was the rings or what the problem was but the same 3X derailleur worked perfectly with the Shimano 32T ring. I can only assume it had something to do with the larger jump from the 24T to the 36T versus the previous 22T to 32T, or it could have been the difference between Shimano and Blackspire rings, but the SLX derailleur solved the problem. For me, a 24/36 with a 11/34 cassette works great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy
    As BB suggests, try out your front derailleur you have now and if it works properly, then great. I have an XTR Crank with the Blackspire rings, M970X (24T) and SuperPro (36T) with XO twist shifters, and for the life of me could not ever get my 3X derailleur to shift smoothly. It worked, but felt like I was going to bend the front derailleur with each shift. I moved the derailleur up/down, etc. and it did not seem to help. I bought a SLX 2X front derailleur and instantly the problem was solved. I don't know if it was the rings or what the problem was but the same 3X derailleur worked perfectly with the Shimano 32T ring. I can only assume it had something to do with the larger jump from the 24T to the 36T versus the previous 22T to 32T, or it could have been the difference between Shimano and Blackspire rings, but the SLX derailleur solved the problem. For me, a 24/36 with a 11/34 cassette works great!
    Thanks for this info epephreddy. I do know the XT chain rings have chain ramps to help shift vs the Blackspire. So the more info I get and research i think Iam going to go with the 24/36 but in a XT chainrings. Then I will play around with the fd. If that don't work then i will get the SLX 2x fd.
    2016 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure (about 98% sure) Shimano does not make 24 or 36T chainrings for the 770 XT cranks. That is why I went with Blackspire SuperPro's for my XTR crankset. You will need 4 bolt chainrings 104BCD for the 36T and 64BCD for the 24T. There are only a few manufacturers that I know of - RaceFace, Blackspire, maybe FSA and a few others. Maybe some others will chime in. You could use the Blackspire SuperPro's for the 24T and 36T. Found here: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/200...-Chainring.htm

mtbr member
    Tru-vativ makes 24/36 chainrings in steel and aluminum with ramps etc. I have the steel on an IH 7point3 much more durable. Use their 22/32 steel chainrings (Tru-vative crankset - triple with bash outer, 11-34 XT cassette) setup on my RIP9 with an SLX 667 FD, SRAM RD(med cage) and shifters. No problems.
    Last edited by socal_jack; 04-19-2011 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    I decided to go with a simple approach to convert from a 3x to a 2x9 setup. I am taking most of the base components from my broken 2008 RIP 9 and remodifying them for the 2011 Hot Tamale frame I got on the way. I decided to go with a 24 tooth granny and a 36 tooth middle, both Blackspire Super Pro. I was reluctant, but finally decided to go with a Blackspire Lite God bashguard in place of the big ring (inverted to avoid the obnoxious white advertising and give the bashguard a blacked out look). All went on my Truvativ Noir crank and so far it looks pretty sick.
    I plan to use these with my PG990 11-34 cassette (not brand new) and PC-991 Cross Step chain (also not new). I went ahead and got a new Medium Cage RD (was running a Long Cage). Hopefully, I can get the XT FD 3x to dial in correctly.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good luck with that derailleur! For whatever reason mine just never worked right. The gear choices you have made work great IMO.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Need a low gear

The RIP 9 is a beefy frame and needs a drop gear for climbing. I use a SLX double and a 34 in the back (both 9 speed). No chain suck ever! Love it....

I quit e-MTBR
    I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure (about 98% sure) Shimano does not make 24 or 36T chainrings for the 770 XT cranks.
    Shimano CS says they do. A 36T. Their part # Y1FV98010.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike
    Or you can buy the XT M771 crankset with a 26/36/48 chainring set up.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bruce, a common misconception is that you need a long cage on a three ring setup. I have found the medium cage to work very well with 22/34/44 - 11/34 setups. The only thing you can't do is use the smallest 4 or 5 cogs on the cassette when in granny ring.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma
    Bruce, a common misconception is that you need a long cage on a three ring setup. I have found the medium cage to work very well with 22/34/44 - 11/34 setups. The only thing you can't do is use the smallest 4 or 5 cogs on the cassette when in granny ring.
    Best thread ever on it here.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks, I think I misread your earlier post, because we seem to be in complete agreement about using medium cage derailleurs when possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike
    Could you provide a link to buy this online?

I quit e-MTBR
    Could you provide a link to buy this online?
    Well, just google "shimano Y1FV98010" and you'll find lots of options. Tree Fort was the cheapest I found at a glance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Great, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    OldManbike, I found the 36T as you mention. Do they make a 24T also for the XT770? Did not see it anywhere. I know there is one for the XTR 970 crank but it is different and isn't compatible with the XT crank.

mtbr member
    Good luck with that derailleur! For whatever reason mine just never worked right. The gear choices you have made work great IMO.
    For a few $$ more, is there any reason why the SRAM X9 2x10 FD wouldn't work for a 2x9 setup??
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member

s

How much of a difference would it be going from a 32 to a 36t be. I use the middle ring most of the time along with the top gear at times on some climbs. Really don't want to spend the $$$ on a 36 and find it dificult on climbs, where it is not difficult right know with the 32t. The Granny is a back up. Or should I go with a 34t. Or Iam I thinking to hard on this??
    2016 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My setup

I run a 24 34 up front with a standard xt deraileaur, 11 34 SRAM 990 with a medium XO. Really like this setup on my RIP

Always Learning
    How much of a difference would it be going from a 32 to a 36t be. I use the middle ring most of the time along with the top gear at times on some climbs. Really don't want to spend the $$$ on a 36 and find it dificult on climbs, where it is not difficult right know with the 32t. The Granny is a back up. Or should I go with a 34t. Or Iam I thinking to hard on this??
    Just run over to the late Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator and plug in your options to see the difference.

Here are the numbers on 32, 34 and 36T front rings with an 11-34 cassette for a 29"er and 175mm cranks....

mtbr member
    BB. Could you help me understand what all those numbers mean??
    Last edited by MI-29er; 04-22-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    2016 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    For a few $$ more, is there any reason why the SRAM X9 2x10 FD wouldn't work for a 2x9 setup??
    I kinda wondered the same thing. I assume that it would work fine but am not certain. I knew what I ordered would work based on talking to a couple of people. I am sure that if you emailed SRAM tech support they could tell you if no one else on this board can't.

mtbr member

the slx double with bash is great

We just built up my gf's rip 9 with a shimano slx double with integrated bash. It has a 22t granny and a 36T with a integrated bash. We put a 12x36 sram cassete in back to give her a little more of a climbing option. The slx double has a great range of gears, is stiff, reasonably light, looks great, has a nice chainline that will nearly eliminate cross chaing, and is economical. Be sure to pair it up with the slx double specific front derailleur and it shifts like butter even under load (still not recommended but it works if you need it to). This crankset (the whole slx group for that matter) will be tough to beat. Here is a pic of it installed.

RIP running 2x9's-debs-rip.jpg
    29ers are more fun!

Always Learning
    BB. Could you help me understand what all those numbers mean??
    How much of a difference would it be going from a 32 to a 36t be. I use the middle ring most of the time along with the top gear at times on some climbs. Really don't want to spend the $$$ on a 36 and find it dificult on climbs, where it is not difficult right know with the 32t.

Just going with your desire to know what would be the difference going from a 32T ring to a 36T ring and what the difference would be when in the largest cog in the rear, the 36T chain ring up front means that you would lose the easiest gear of 32 front/large cog rear and that the 36 front/large cog rear combo would be the same as your current 32 front/with 2nd cog in the rear (or 2nd gear). That's what you see in that chart of the 2.2 gain ratio in the boxes.

You mentioned that your SRAM cassette was the 11-34 variety (or at least, so you thought). One has the option of running 11-32, 11-34, 11-36, etc... cassettes in the rear - so you could alter the gearing in terms of the largest cogs in the rear based on what cassette you choose and or with the rings up front.

Rather than guessing, I was pointing you to the gear calculator to compare what it would feel like before spending $$$. Go out and do some climbs in your 32 middle ring and the 2nd cog on the rear of your 11-34 (the 2nd cog should be a 30T if you have the 11-34 PG 990 cassette). If you can comfortably climb in that combo, that's what the 36T up front would feel like with the largest cog (34T on your cassette) in the rear would be like as both those 2 combos are the 2.2 gain ratio.

Clear?

BB

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    I can't say for certain because I haven't tried 10 speed yet and experimented with things like this. I will say though that the 10 speed chain is narrower and the 10 speed FD will be narrower and optimised for shifting a 10 speed chain. You are likely to at least get more chain rub if you run a 10 speed FD with a 9 speed chain.

The other problem is that the 2x10 FD and shifter will be set up to move between two 10 speed chainrings which are closer together than two 9 speed chain rings. The same would apply if you used a 3x10 FD and didn't use the third position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    How much of a difference would it be going from a 32 to a 36t be. I use the middle ring most of the time along with the top gear at times on some climbs. Really don't want to spend the $$$ on a 36 and find it dificult on climbs, where it is not difficult right know with the 32t.

Just going with your desire to know what would be the difference going from a 32T ring to a 36T ring and what the difference would be when in the largest cog in the rear, the 36T chain ring up front means that you would lose the easiest gear of 32 front/large cog rear and that the 36 front/large cog rear combo would be the same as your current 32 front/with 2nd cog in the rear (or 2nd gear). That's what you see in that chart of the 2.2 gain ratio in the boxes.

You mentioned that your SRAM cassette was the 11-34 variety (or at least, so you thought). One has the option of running 11-32, 11-34, 11-36, etc... cassettes in the rear - so you could alter the gearing in terms of the largest cogs in the rear based on what cassette you choose and or with the rings up front.

Rather than guessing, I was pointing you to the gear calculator to compare what it would feel like before spending $$$. Go out and do some climbs in your 32 middle ring and the 2nd cog on the rear of your 11-34 (the 2nd cog should be a 30T if you have the 11-34 PG 990 cassette). If you can comfortably climb in that combo, that's what the 36T up front would feel like with the largest cog (34T on your cassette) in the rear would be like as both those 2 combos are the 2.2 gain ratio.

Clear?

BB
    Yes that helps me out alot. Went out for a ride today and in my ride I was observing what gears I used to climb. On some of the hills I climb I am in the middle ring (32t) and in the (34t) on the rear cassette. When in the flats I tend to be in the middle ring (32t) and in the 23t to 15t range. So going to a 36t middle really would feel much of a difference until I use the lower gear range. Correct??
    2016 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product...263/263225/0/0

Blackspire makes number of pinned and ramped front chainrings. Plan to install a set of their 28/40s on a 9 speed shimano crank. Will cost about $90 to do. Can always switch back to 22/32/44.

Members who have read this thread: 0