Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RIP RDO pivot ball bearing adjustment cone tool

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  adriano 
#1 ·
After ca. 400'000 ft ascent/descent with my RIP RDO, I am on my fourth set of ball bearings for the pivot and lower links. It's getting tiresome, but that's what it is. Do you know of tool to screw/unscrew the adjustment cone? I use a pincher, which is what Niner uses in one of their videos, but that's not optimal. It would be better to have a tool that can be mounted on a torque wrench. Also, I like to glue the cones with blue loctite, which makes a good tool even more indispensible. Any advice?

#6 ·
I am probably coming across as stubborn and unteachable. Yet I would really like to have a tool for this job. Not because I'd torque the cones beyond reason - but because I like to glue them with Loctite.

In the past three years the cones have come loose time and over, hence I really like to glue them. But then taking off the cones to service the bearings becomes a pain. Hence the desire for a tool.

Maybe something like this would do the job better than a pincer. But what's the name of such tools, and where can I buy them???

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks for answering. I agree, but if you want to calibrate a minimal torque (e.g. 2 Nm) homogeneously on all three pivots, a torque wrench is best. And anyway I find that the pincher is impractical and often slips off the cones. A dedicated tool would really be a blessing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.