Rip RDO bearing swap, what a pain!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rip RDO bearing swap, what a pain!

After a couple good years the suspension on my rip started to show some age. Niner got the bearing kits back in stock so I picked up a full set. Most of the bearings in the links came out pretty easy. The double bearings in the rear triangle required a blind bearing puller ($20 +/-). It took a few tries with the puller but the bastards gave up eventually.

When re installing I had a hell of a time getting the bearings back in the upper rocker. I don't have a fancy press and my buddy was out of town ski-ing (gross) so I had to make due with some sockets and a big c-clamp. I got them in there but only after a ton of cursing and putting the link in a 300* oven for a few minutes.

She's smooth as butter again and ready for a couple more years of riding.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Chilling out
    i've some taps and a press I got via UniversalCycles, but i paid others to do the upper rocker swap last year because i was lazy and short on time.

but man is it great to have good bearings, bike kicks ass down here in NC

can't wait to get over to WNC this spring/summer

mtbr member
    Next time you have to do this. Put the new bearing in the freezer for a couple of hours and then leave your frame out in the sun for few hours also.Make pushing/pressing in the bearing much easier (cold contraction/heat expansion).
    If its an aluminium frame you can heat the bearing socket with a hair dryer and can almost push the bearings in by hand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Next time you have to do this. Put the new bearing in the freezer for a couple of hours and then leave your frame out in the sun for few hours also.Make pushing/pressing in the bearing much easier (cold contraction/heat expansion).
    If its an aluminium frame you can heat the bearing socket with a hair dryer and can almost push the bearings in by hand.
    Yep. The bearings sat in my freezer for three days while I waited on the proper puller. And like I said the rocker and lower link went in the 300* oven for a few minutes.

I've installing universal joints, ball joints and other press fit parts for 30 years now. Never thought my bike would get parts installed the same way a dana 60 gets ball joints
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"