RIP 9 Triple + Triple Bashguard?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RIP 9 Triple + Triple Bashguard?

Is anyone running their RIP 9 as a triple with a triple bashguard (Blackspire Big Ring Protector, Salsa Tooth Fairy, Race Face Triple Bash, Purely Custom 3x1, or MRP XCG BB Triple bashguard)?

I'm not sure if these can even be used on a newer RIP...would there be any clearance issues?

I had the triple from my 2008 RIP 9 put on a 2010 RIP 9, now I have the chain suck problem. I put some ties on the chain stay, but I'm not sure if that fixed it. I read some replace the 44 with a 40, others convert to 2x9.

I would like to fix the chain suck, keep the triple, and add a bash guard...I'm still considering converting it to a 2x9 22-36-bash guard setup.

I have a WFO with a Hammerschmidt AM (22t), so I'd like a bit different gearing on the RIP and I don't want to fork out the cash for 2x10.
    Last edited by jbsocal; 09-29-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    Is anyone running their RIP 9 as a triple with a triple bashguard (Blackspire Big Ring Protector, Salsa Tooth Fairy, Race Face Triple Bash, Purely Custom 3x1, or MRP XCG BB Triple bashguard)?

I'm not sure if these can even be used on a newer RIP...would there be any clearance issues?

I had the triple from my 2008 RIP 9 put on a 2010 RIP 9, now I have the chain suck problem. I put some ties on the chain stay, but I'm not sure if that fixed it. I read some replace the 44 with a 40, others convert to 2x9.

I would like to fix the chain suck, keep the triple, and add a bash guard...I'm still considering converting it to a 2x9 22-36-bash guard setup.

I have a WFO with a Hammerschmidt AM (22t), so I'd like a bit different gearing on the RIP and I don't want to fork out the cash for 2x10.
    My 09 Rip9 didn't chain suck with 22/32/40 but I likes the double ring setup much more & found with 36 or 38 or 39 on the double the Rip9 was much quieter & got rid of most of the chain slap.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    I agree with muzzanic. I used to run the triple. Started to get chain suck. So I ditched all three rings and went with Blacskpire 24 for granny and a 34 for my big ring. Then added a Purely Custom bash guard to finsih it off. But I may be going to a 36 very soon. And like muzzanic says it was much quieter & got rid of most of the chain slap. In my op you don't need a big ring set up on a RIP. 2x9 or 2x10 is the best way to go!!
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2019 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2020 Specialized S-Works Epic
    2016 Specialized Fatboy