Rip 9 RDO vs Evil The Following- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Rip 9 RDO vs Evil The Following

Hey guys,
    I was just about to purchase a rip 9 RDO after having demoing one and then I came upon the thread about "the following" in the 29er bikes section here on mtbr. The bike really caught my eye, and then when I started reading about it people are saying it does everything better than a rip 9. I've never ridden one and probably would never get to demo one before I bought one so I cannot say. I want to get some feedback on the rip 9 and my riding style to make sure it's the right bike for me so it can help me decide.
    I am generally an XC rider and ride hardtail bikes. I ride 15-20 miles per ride, and every now and then will do 40-60. Some of my rides will be singletrack XC, some will be jeep roads. And I want to get more into enduro style riding with big climbs and big downs to follow. I find myself to be a fairly decent climber, but a bit cautious on the downs, but want to work on making the downs faster. I want a bike that pedals well, with not much peddle bob (hard to really get a feel for this on my demo ride as it was only about 7 miles) and is a good climbing bike and won't rob my energy by taking it in through the suspension. I also would probably enter an XC race here and there, more for fun then competition, but at the same time want a fast bike. The rip 9 RDO is also about 650 dollars cheaper due to the ear end close out. Does this seem like the right bike for me?

Note that my build will include x01/x1 a 140 mm pike, XT brakes and Roval Traverse Fattie (29mm) alloy wheels and nobby inc tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

Carbon & Ti rule
    Tuff call of course.

I have not ridden the Following, But own the Wfo9 & Rip9 RDO.

The slackness of the WFO does slow the turning down in the twisty stuff compaired to the Rip9 RDO, But the WFO just soaks up the ruff better.

For me I think if I needed a bike that slack I would also want the extra travel to go with it.

I will write more on this a little later when I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastblack View Post
    Hey guys,
    I was just about to purchase a rip 9 RDO after having demoing one and then I came upon the thread about "the following" in the 29er bikes section here on mtbr. The bike really caught my eye, and then when I started reading about it people are saying it does everything better than a rip 9. I've never ridden one and probably would never get to demo one before I bought one so I cannot say. I want to get some feedback on the rip 9 and my riding style to make sure it's the right bike for me so it can help me decide.
    I am generally an XC rider and ride hardtail bikes. I ride 15-20 miles per ride, and every now and then will do 40-60. Some of my rides will be singletrack XC, some will be jeep roads. And I want to get more into enduro style riding with big climbs and big downs to follow. I find myself to be a fairly decent climber, but a bit cautious on the downs, but want to work on making the downs faster. I want a bike that pedals well, with not much peddle bob (hard to really get a feel for this on my demo ride as it was only about 7 miles) and is a good climbing bike and won't rob my energy by taking it in through the suspension. I also would probably enter an XC race here and there, more for fun then competition, but at the same time want a fast bike. The rip 9 RDO is also about 650 dollars cheaper due to the ear end close out. Does this seem like the right bike for me?

Note that my build will include x01/x1 a 140 mm pike, XT brakes and Roval Traverse Fattie (29mm) alloy wheels and nobby inc tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    My opinion is that the RIP 9 RDO will suit you better than the Following. I just went through the same decision and chose the RIP since I wanted a trail bike that could be XC raced vs. a short travel version of my Enduro 29 (where the Following fits).

There's a lot of hype in the Following thread so be careful with that. The bike sounds quite interesting but it looks to fit squarely in the All-Mountain ripper category. If you want a short travel bike in the same vein as the Enduro 29, WFO, etc. that bike deserves a hard look.

In your post you mentioned XC rider, hardtails, XC racing and so on. That sounds much closer to the RIP RDO than the Following.

I may get ripped by some other RIP owners so let me say that I think the RIP should handle your desires to improve on the downhills with ease. All the reviews point to this fact. It's just that the RIP's handling will be much more familiar to you than the Following's.

That said, you probably can't go wrong...as long as the Following proves to be more reliable than Evil's past models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks guys. Any more input would be great. From what I read, Evil has decent service, but from everything i read about niner, they have great CS. I've also decided I do not want a blue RIP 9 if I go that route, and will go with the black. Backcountry has them for 2899 with 13% cash back through active junky, and then 250 back in credit, which I will use on components, which comes out to 2273 for the black in the end.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Been riding MTB since 1999. In '09 I switched to big wheeled bikes and have never looked back. Without going into a 3page story, Niner was my first 29er. And still is! Since '09 I have demoed plenty of other brands mostly 29er and some 650b. But for what i want out of a bike in terms of ride quality, customer service, involvement in the MT biking community, smaller company that keeps up with the ever changing curve of technology, and last but not least 29 specific only built bikes. This brand is for me. I know Evil is the latest to hit the market and make big buzZ. If it's anything like thr Ripley I'm sure it's great. Just not for me tho. Oh and u mentioned u didn't want the blue, but dude I got mine for 1343.00 Almost an extra grand to pay for color?
    Big wheels are taken over the world!

Rocks belong
    The Following is damn cool.

I've owned 2 Niners and I like the brand. My old EMD changed my opinion about 29ers. But The Following is so. damn. cool.

IMO: It picks up where the Devinci Atlas left off. Or, in other words, it's everything the Devinci Atlas could've been. If Devinci would've spec'd the Atlas with a standard ZS headset (or even a EC/ZS headest, ala Ibis/Santa Cruz) the Atlas could've been a burly XC bike... or run with an angleset/works components offset headset and be a light/fast trail bike.

The Following is 67.4* HTA, 72.7* HTA, 16.93" chainstay length. That has to be an amazingly fun and versatile bike. It has shorter chainstays than my 650b Bronson!

Now, if you want a long travel XC bike, I'd say go with the RIP 9 RDO and a 120-130 fork.

If you want an angry, quick, fun, 5" 29er... Join The Following
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    If you want an angry, quick, fun, 5" 29er... Join The Following
    The Following is 4" rear...they recommend a 120-130 fork, but I see some are using 140. My Rip 9 RDO with a 150 fork does everything well, but the Following does look interesting. However, all those linkages/bearings scare me...how long will they stay tight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Alright, my mind was made up by getting a black rip 9 rdo for 900 off. So thats a done deal.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    Niner RIP 9 RDO
    2014 Tarmac Elite

Carbon & Ti rule
    Good move, You will love it.

Alright, my mind was made up by getting a black rip 9 rdo for 900 off. So thats a done deal.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    The Following is 4" rear...they recommend a 120-130 fork, but I see some are using 140. My Rip 9 RDO with a 150 fork does everything well, but the Following does look interesting. However, all those linkages/bearings scare me...how long will they stay tight.
    According to Evil's website, it's 120mm rear.

But I do agree with you on the DELTA linkages. There's a lot going on there. Would be worried about riding that bike in muddy environments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    According to Evil's website, it's 120mm rear.

But I do agree with you on the DELTA linkages. There's a lot going on there. Would be worried about riding that bike in muddy environments.
    oops. you're right. 120mm is almost 5 inch. duh.

Rocks belong
    But it's a mute point as he got himself a RIP 9 RDO... which should be an excellent trail bike as well as heavy duty XC bike. It should serve you well.

mtbr member
    Black is Beautiful!

Rip 9 RDO vs Evil The Following-image.jpg

Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think the WFO is a better bike than the Rip 9. I like the slacker HT angle and the alloy frame. My 2 bikes Pivot 429sl and Niner WFO 9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip 9 RDO vs Evil The Following-p1070062.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have to believe an updated RIP is around the corner (Interbike). I love my RDO still though. It is a great "all around" bike.
    Last edited by bigdrunk; 07-06-2015 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I have to believe an updated RIP is around the corner (Interlake). I live my RDO still though. It is a great "all around" bike.
    I would think they'll revise the geometry soon for a slightly slacker HA to match the current trend of trail 29ers.

USED2COULD
    Nothing out there interests me as a replacement for my Jet RDO, however I've been enjoying my RIP as my first foray in to something a little more easy going. Everything about The Following sounds like my Rip turned up to 11.

The fact The Following undercuts Niner's RDO pricing by $300USD a frame doesn't hurt either. When a new Rip RDO lands it will no doubt be $2,899 USD which at 2012 exchange rates when I bought my Jet would have been $2900 CDN. Now that will be about $3700 CDN.

mtbr member
    Well Niner friends it's been a hell of a good time on these NINER bikes. Since '09 I've got some hardware, trail rode hundred's of miles, and still to this day I have nothing negative to say about the company or the rides they build.

I've been demoing since last Nov. trying everything from 27.5 to playful 29ers. I rode The Following last weekend, and I have to say that Evil has made something special for the 29 crowd. NOW this isn't me bashing on Niners. My current Rip RDO is a Monster very capable UPS and DOWNS. Now I don't know if Niner has anything New coming out soon. But you can bet your last dollar if they design a Niner CVA to these #'s I will be back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerNinerBoxx View Post
    Well Niner friends it's been a hell of a good time on these NINER bikes. Since '09 I've got some hardware, trail rode hundred's of miles, and still to this day I have nothing negative to say about the company or the rides they build.

I've been demoing since last Nov. trying everything from 27.5 to playful 29ers. I rode The Following last weekend, and I have to say that Evil has made something special for the 29 crowd. NOW this isn't me bashing on Niners. My current Rip RDO is a Monster very capable UPS and DOWNS. Now I don't know if Niner has anything New coming out soon. But you can bet your last dollar if they design a Niner CVA to these #'s I will be back!
    I just bought a new 2015 WFO 9 Red only frame for 1550.00. The red is on special price. The frame comes with shock. I fell in love with this bike while demoing the WFO for a few weeks while waiting for warr. replacement on my Pivot 429sl. This WFO is really a great bike, this frame is well built. Should have it soon!! This is my new Pivot 429SL. Also tried the RDO the WFO is better!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip 9 RDO vs Evil The Following-p1070059.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well it's almost been 2 months and 350 miles on the following. And what I have to say about these two bikes is............Imo they are both really good bikes.
    2014 Rip9 RDO~
    Climbing seated 8
    Climbing standing 6
    Cornering 7
    Descending 9
    Fun all day riding 9
    Fit to finish frame 10
    Customer Service 10
    Frame stiffness 8
    Playful factor 7
    Geometry comfort 8.5
    Would recommend to 29er 120mm rear travel crowd 9
    TOTAL 91.5
    2015 Evil The Following ~
    Climbing seated 9
    Climbing standing 10
    Cornering 9.5
    Descending 10
    Fun all day riding 9
    Fit to finish frame 7.5
    Customer service 7
    Frame stiffness 9.5
    Playful factor 10
    Geometry comfort 7
    Would recommend to 29er 120mm rear travel crowd 9.5
    TOTAL 99

PLEASE understand this is my opinion and passion for Mountain Biking. Both bikes are fun as hell to ride. Hope this helps fellow riders that are on the fence on either one of these bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I moved from a RIP 9 RDO to an Ibis Ripley.

I'd agree with your assessment on the RIP except, I'd give it a 4 or 5 for climbing when standing if compared to the Ripley. And more of a 6 for playfulness. I always felt like it wanted to go more in a straight line than bounce off stuff. Lastly, Geo Comfort for me who was between sized was more like a 6 also. I am smack in the middle of a size on the Ripley and its super comfortable....my guess is it might not be had I the same sizing issue.

mtbr member
    Jongalt26 check out this Thread if you already haven't.

mtbr member
    Just did, depression is setting in haha.
    Trek Remedy 2016 - 9.8 w/ Fox 36
    Carver Titanium O'Beast w/ Bluto
    Specialized Secteur w/ Carbon fork
    Specialized P-Slope

mtbr member
    Wait six months and see if Evil has solved their breakage problems.

They're in a similar boat to Niner five or so years ago when all their RIPs fell apart (although supposedly due to manufacturing rather than engineering). They could barely handle the CS nightmare and it almost sunk the company.

Besides, honestly, I see people ripping it up on bikes half the supposed ability of the Niner, so take it as a #FWP, realize the differences really are not that huge, and enjoy your bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A review if the Rip9 by someone that owns a Following....

Niner Rip 9 Carbon Reviewed

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The Evil is a game changer!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_boy View Post
    A review if the Rip9 by someone that owns a Following....

Niner Rip 9 Carbon Reviewed
    Sums it up for me and why I moved away from the RIP 9 RDO: Steep sections of trail with tight turns and switchbacks are where the RIP9 is least comfortable, with the front wheel wanting to tuck under.

That and the comments about it feeling tall. I'm not looking for some slacked out, bike mind you. I moved to a Ripley with -.3˚ less HA with 130mm fork, but the differences are stark. You get to 68.5 with a 140mm fork if trying to make apples to apples comparison.

What I miss from the RIP is the monster truck like plush 140/125 travel the niner offers on straight line rough downs.

Adventuring into the unknown, as the author describes it, makes it a niche bike. I think the RIP 9 loses head to head against a Following, Ripley LS (or original geo), Remedy, RM Instinct, etc for most people if it is being tested in the terrain that exposes the RIPs weaknesses.

Bike needs an update for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Black is Beautiful!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2346 
Size:	283.2 KB 
ID:	961816
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post

That and the comments about it feeling tall. I'm not looking for some slacked out, bike mind you. I moved to a Ripley with -.3˚ less HA with 130mm fork, but the differences are stark. You get to 68.5 with a 140mm fork if trying to make apples to apples comparison.

Adventuring into the unknown, as the author describes it, makes it a niche bike. I think the RIP 9 loses head to head against a Following, Ripley LS (or original geo), Remedy, RM Instinct, etc for most people if it is being tested in the terrain that exposes the RIPs weaknesses.
    Are you on a regular Ripley or the LS?

I would like to see testing on the SC Hightower, Ripley LS, and Evil 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm on a V1. The 3 you list are most comparable. I don't think the RIP 9 really compares to them in my opinion. To steep and high...Of course, I have not tried and Evil or LS so I'm just guessing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think the rip 9 RDO compares closely to the Tallboy LTc. All these numbers are with a 140mm fork.

Rip 9 RDO (Large) Wheelbase 45.4
    TallboyLTC(Large) Wheelbase 44.8

Rip 9 RDO (L) Chainstay 17.7
    TB LTC (Larg) Chainstay 17.7

Rip 9 RDO (L) HTA 69.5
    TB LTC (Larg) HTA 69.5

RIP (L) BB Height 13.8
    LTC (L) BB Height 13.4

Seat Tube Angle 72.5
    Seat Tube Angle 72.6

I have rode both of these and felt the Niner fit as well as the LTc. The LTc has a shorter wheelbase that I attribute to its agile feel. Suspension wise I thought the RIP would be like the Jet 9 RDO but it tended to bob more in climbing. The LTc seems to climb better with no pedal feedback but I do notice it can lose traction on steeps, maybe due to the long chainstays. Both bikes kill it downhill.

I would give slight edge to the LTc for the agile feel and good climbing. Both are great bikes and closest in comparison, though the LTc is no longer made and the RIP 9 is. The disparity is in travel, the Tallboy with 135mm and a shorter wheelbase and the RIP with 125mm and longer wheelbase.

With SC moving on from the LTc and introducing a do it all in the Hightower, then you have the Ripley LS and Evil F; I think Niner probably has something up their sleeve with the RIP 9. They have to in order to stay competitive. Downer to some is the Hightower is a 1X11 only bike. Word is that SC is going away from 3 & 2 X system to all 1X systems. SRAM and Shimano are about to change the game again with a 1X12 that should satisfy those afraid of the 1X. ITs coming soon. Look for it. I have no idea if we'll need a XD drive or what. We shall see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe Niner is bringing out a new RIP 9 RDO in light of all the newer 29ers with short CS and slacker HTA. Usually this is a sign when they start discounting bikes to make room for the new stuff.
    $500 off now.

R.I.P. 9 RDO

mtbr member
    Haven't read anything about a new RIP. Of course, the week after I drop the cash on a 15 Rip 9 RDO fore sale frame SC drops the Hightower. The New SC looks pretty sweet.

Coming from a Kona Process 111 I was a little apprehensive picking up the RIP based on the numbers....chain stay, head tube angle, etc. But those concerns have been unfounded as the Niner doesn't feel slow to turn or sketchy pointing down

mtbr member
    I think the RIP9 RDO is a little under rated. Plenty of newer and sexier sleds out there. I had one and thought it did a solid job in a wide variety of conditions. I thought it climbed great, was a blast on single track and pedaled well.

I am sure whatever replaces the existing version will hang with the Ibis, Yeti, Santa Cruz, etc.

mtbr member
    As someone who is not just guessing here, who has actual experience with a Following, I can tell you that the suspension and "all those pivots" are not a problem in the least. I just did a good overhaul and service on my friends end of last year after 9 moths of hard riding and everything was still nice and tight. From my experience with CVA, the DELTA linkage is superior for sure, very efficient and also very active/small bump compliance. My friend did say that after the service, the small bump compliance had improved, felt plusher initially, but still did not bottom out.

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

USED2COULD
    Agreed. I'm all hot and bothered about the Hightower. I run my Rip 29/27.5 and wanted to jump ship for The Following, but it pretty much seemed impossible to run a following 27.5+ for the hilarity that entails.

Agree also with Rev. 14, when I saw the Niner email discounting the Rip's its the best indication of any so far, that Niner may not be as far behind as I feared.

I currently have 4 active Niners, but see a couple leaving, and a Hightower in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by 13JKU View Post
    Haven't read anything about a new RIP. Of course, the week after I drop the cash on a 15 Rip 9 RDO fore sale frame SC drops the Hightower. The New SC looks pretty sweet.

Coming from a Kona Process 111 I was a little apprehensive picking up the RIP based on the numbers....chain stay, head tube angle, etc. But those concerns have been unfounded as the Niner doesn't feel slow to turn or sketchy pointing down
    <Insert Quiver>